ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Chicago incidents , NATO issues , nato summit , protest incidents , protest issues

Old 23rd May 2012, 10:41 AM   #161
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by BenBurch View Post
See, I don't get this. I absolutely will protest if there is something concrete to accomplish with it, but this seems more and more like a hobby for these people.
They are upset that stuff they do not understand and can't control is happening all around them. They want to make it stop. They can't, it won't.
Life goes on. I suspect BTW that they think that because such protests under very certain times and places have had some effect that their's will have some effect. Usually they are mistaken.
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2012, 10:49 AM   #162
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by JihadJane View Post
Apologies, Ben Burch, if I missed your post. I cannot read your posts directly due to your flashing avatar.
Just hit the Esc key - or its equivalent on the Mac.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2012, 10:56 AM   #163
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
I'm just wondering what combination of hardware and software makes a simple animated GIF flash?
Old 23rd May 2012, 11:10 AM   #164
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

I'm just wondering what combination of hardware and software makes a simple animated GIF flash?
I've noticed that alcohol sometimes makes women flash.

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2012, 11:15 AM   #165
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Originally Posted by The Central Scrutinizer View Post
I've noticed that alcohol sometimes makes women flash.
Old 23rd May 2012, 01:17 PM   #166
SezMe
post-pre-born

Can't read your post, Ben. Too much flashing going on.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2012, 04:08 PM   #167
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Originally Posted by KoihimeNakamura View Post
No they aren't. It's a cheap trick.
It's not a trick, it's a derogatory label supported by evidence. They've earned it.
Old 23rd May 2012, 04:10 PM   #168
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Nice, I never knew that before!
Old 23rd May 2012, 04:42 PM   #169
Neally
Illuminator

People had posts that were interesting and then I saw occutard and anarchatard

Really guys? Stop calling yourselves skeptics if you can't even use proper words.
No they aren't. It's a cheap trick.
Why are you biased against slang?
Neally is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2012, 02:08 AM   #170
JihadJane
not a camel

Originally Posted by 000063 View Post
I think I see the problem here.

Mockery aside, many protestors seem to and do go out of their way to be as uncivil as they dare, while claiming, without a shred of irony, that it's just civil disobedience. Once you go around assaulting cops and actively trying to provoke incidents with police, then you don't deserve to be called "civil". I never got an explanation for how dangling donuts furthered the cause of OWS or the May Day protests.
In this gossipy post, 000063 once again invents reality willy nilly.

Here is a possible, simple explanation for his bizarre claim never to have got an explanation:

Then I stopped reading her responses...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenBurch
Can't read your post, Ben. Too much flashing going on.
All movement on a computer screen is represented by flashing lights. Repetitive movement amplifies this effect.

Thanks for your suggestion. Doesn't work.

Last edited by JihadJane; 24th May 2012 at 03:00 AM.
JihadJane is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2012, 06:55 AM   #171
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

All movement on a computer screen is represented by flashing lights. Repetitive movement amplifies this effect.

Um, having designed these things for ages, I think I know how they work.

If you can see flashing and anything other than smooth animation, you have some issue with your equipment.
Old 24th May 2012, 07:28 AM   #172
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Here is a possible, simple explanation for his bizarre claim never to have got an explanation:
So if you really think he missed some deep insight because he stopped paying attention to her, now's your chance to correct it.

Tell me, how is dangling donuts in front of cops going to further the cause of OWS or the May Day protests? Because to me, it seems like a bit of mean-spirited taunting designed to make confrontations more likely, not less likely.

But please, I'm sure your insight will set us all straight.
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2012, 08:26 AM   #173
catsmate
No longer the 1

Including an attempted Girl Scout coup, I've read.
An old friend of mine works for part of the US Navy and takes part in seminars where they postulate something and then work out the effects that would have on The World As We Know It. Thinks like cheap, compact high energy sources, neutrino communications systems, ideas like that; it helps people to think and solve problems.

Probably closer to an ice ball, but yes. Horrible.
Possibly it was the displaced windscreen that did the decapitation?

ETA: Aaaargh. I've posted in USA Politics. I must now go and bathe in bleach.

Last edited by catsmate; 24th May 2012 at 08:28 AM. Reason: ETA
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2012, 11:55 AM   #174
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
So if you really think he missed some deep insight because he stopped paying attention to her, now's your chance to correct it.

Tell me, how is dangling donuts in front of cops going to further the cause of OWS or the May Day protests? Because to me, it seems like a bit of mean-spirited taunting designed to make confrontations more likely, not less likely.

I'm not going to see it unless someone I actually listen to quotes it. I've been skipping past most of her posts lately.
000063 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2012, 10:16 PM   #175
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

I'm not going to see it unless someone I actually listen to quotes it. I've been skipping past most of her posts lately.
My guess is she isn't going to answer.
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2012, 01:59 AM   #176
Virus
Philosopher

Why protest the NATO summit? Anyone? JihadJane? Can you answer that? And by "answer" I mean something in your own words, not a link to a neo-Nazi website.
"They say the right things. They ‘speak truth to power’, ‘transgress boundaries’, and all the rest of it. But you will have noticed that they are careful only to challenge religions that won’t hurt them (Christianity) and governments that won’t arrest them (democracies)." - Nick Cohen.
Virus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2012, 04:04 AM   #177
JihadJane
not a camel

Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post

A little bit of light-hearted, anti-authoritarian, comedy street theatre is always good for protestor morale. Laughter is good for the spirit.

It has a long and respectable history:

Old 29th May 2012, 05:38 AM   #178
jhunter1163
beer-swilling semiliterate

Location: Connecticut, or King Arthur's Court. Hard to tell sometimes.
Mod Warning Folks, the topic of this thread is not each other. Please refrain from personalization and stick to the topic at hand. Thank you for your anticipated cooperation.
Posted By:jhunter1163

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics