ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Elijah Cummings , Maryland politics , obituaries , politicians

Old 17th October 2019, 04:35 AM   #1
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Elijah Cummings, dead at 68.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/17/polit...ngs/index.html
Old 17th October 2019, 04:37 AM   #2
LibraryLady
Emeritus

I moved into his district aout six weeks ago and was so happy to be represented by him. I'm heartsick. And fearful. And apprehensive about who will be appointed to replace him for the rest of his term.

And wondering what he-who-must-not-be-named will say about it.
Old 17th October 2019, 04:44 AM   #3
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by LibraryLady View Post
I moved into his district aout six weeks ago and was so happy to be represented by him. I'm heartsick. And fearful. And apprehensive about who will be appointed to replace him for the rest of his term.

Forgive my ignorance, but how does that work over in the US ?

Here in the UK, on the death of an MP there would be a by-election to succeed them. Is there a different process there ?
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2019, 05:00 AM   #4
LibraryLady
Emeritus

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Forgive my ignorance, but how does that work over in the US ?

Here in the UK, on the death of an MP there would be a by-election to succeed them. Is there a different process there ?
Generally in Maryland, the governor appoints someone to take his place until the regularly scheduled election. The logical person here would be Dr. Rockeymore Cummings, his wife and a past chair of the Maryland Democratic Party. What makes me apprehensive is that the governor is a Republican, albeit one of the rare moderate ones. (And a relative of a forum member.) Normally, the appointee is of the same party and political persuasion of the late representative.
Old 17th October 2019, 05:35 AM   #5
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Generally in Maryland, the governor appoints someone to take his place until the regularly scheduled election. The logical person here would be Dr. Rockeymore Cummings, his wife and a past chair of the Maryland Democratic Party. What makes me apprehensive is that the governor is a Republican, albeit one of the rare moderate ones. (And a relative of a forum member.) Normally, the appointee is of the same party and political persuasion of the late representative.
Yeah, Hogan's probably the holder of the least Republican Republican award for several years running. I can't see him wanting to piss off the Baltimore voters by giving the seat to a Republican for fifteen months. They'd just be voted out in 2020.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2019, 05:46 AM   #6
LibraryLady
Emeritus

I had an encounter with Rep. Cummings when he was still in the Maryland House of Delegates. I was Librarian in Charge at work, which meant that in absence of the usual leadership or the evening, I got to handle problems and complaints. At that time, Del. Cummings was running a program working with parolees and meeting with them once a week, for which he often used one of our meeting rooms.

I was called by security to come to talk to him, as he had shown up for one of his gatherings, but there was no record of him having reserved the space. I trotted down and he was a bit impatient about the matter and said he had personally spoke to [I can't remember the name]. I explained that there was no person working at the library by that name, and that if he had reserved the room, he would have spoken to Peggy H----. He paused, looked at me for a second, and then said, "I made a mistake."

My respect for him tripled at that very moment. Someone who could admit a mistake in the middle of a disagreement is a rarity. I offered to have the room set up, since he was there, but he preferred to go over a few blocks to the originally scheduled place as they were obviously expecting him.

I watched his career with interest after that.
Old 17th October 2019, 06:00 AM   #7
Mumbles
Philosopher

Eh, **** Dolt 45, and his White House, regardless of what they say. Any regular Joe or Jane is a better person than any of those goons, never mind a guy like Cummings.

As far as the seat, according to law, Hogan's actually supposed to call for a special primary and general election. This is always going to be bothersome, since our scheduled primary is...next April, I believe, but from the sounds of things Gov. Hogan plans to go that route and simply needs a timeline.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2019, 06:08 AM   #8
Armitage72
Illuminator

Someone apparently took Trump's phone away from him. There's no way he actually wrote this.

Quote:
My warmest condolences to the family and many friends of Congressman Elijah Cummings. I got to see first hand the strength, passion and wisdom of this highly respected political leader. His work and voice on so many fronts will be very hard, if not impossible, to replace!
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2019, 06:19 AM   #9
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Someone apparently took Trump's phone away from him. There's no way he actually wrote this.
Playing "Which Tweets did Trump write, which ones did his handlers write, and which ones did Trump write and his handler rewrote" would be a fun game if it wasn't so easy.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2019, 07:05 AM   #10
plague311
Great minds think...

That's terrible. From everything I observed he was a great man.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2019, 07:12 AM   #11
LibraryLady
Emeritus

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Eh, **** Dolt 45, and his White House, regardless of what they say. Any regular Joe or Jane is a better person than any of those goons, never mind a guy like Cummings.

As far as the seat, according to law, Hogan's actually supposed to call for a special primary and general election. This is always going to be bothersome, since our scheduled primary is...next April, I believe, but from the sounds of things Gov. Hogan plans to go that route and simply needs a timeline.
Oh thank you!
Old 17th October 2019, 07:26 AM   #12
sackett
Philosopher

68 is too old to die young, but it's still too young to die.

What region of the earth is not filled with our calamities? -- Virgil
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2019, 08:20 AM   #13
sackett
Philosopher

He'd been sick for a long time.

Before I learned that, I'd wondered about a celebrated thorn in a certain ******
's side dying in a politically fraught time. In my mind's eye, there appeared a quick flash of Vlad the Poisoner smirking. His apprentice is finally learning!

Had to confess that. Sorry.

What region of the earth is not filled with our calamities? -- Virgil
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2019, 12:32 PM   #14
Bob001
Philosopher

An episode from Cummings' life:
Quote:
The mob surrounded the pool, held back by a line of police with K-9 dogs, while the kids tried to splash and play. Then, over the police officers’ heads, the mob threw rocks and bottles. One of them hit Cummings in the face, cutting his eyebrow and leaving a scar he carried all his life.

He was eleven, swimming in what had been a "whites-only" pool.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/histo...g-pool-he-was/
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2019, 05:10 PM   #15
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
lol, in the thread about the passing of a great Democrat some people here still can't help but mention Trump within the first 10 posts
Old 17th October 2019, 06:44 PM   #16
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

On July 28th Congressman Elijah Cummings said:
Quote:
"Today's report reveals new and extensive evidence that corroborates committee whistle-blowers and exposes how corporate and foreign interests are using their unique access to advocate for the transfer of US nuclear technology to Saudia Arabia," Representative Elijah Cummings, the Democrat chairman of the Oversight Committee, said in a statement. "The American people deserve to know the facts about whether the White House is willing to place the potential profits of the president's personal friends above the national security of the American people and the universal objective of preventing the spread of nuclear weapons," Cummings said. Link
The next day Trump Tweeted:
Quote:
Baltimore’s numbers are the worst in the United States on Crime and the Economy. Billions of dollars have been pumped in over the years, but to no avail. The money was stolen or wasted. Ask Elijah Cummings where it went. He should investigate himself with his Oversight Committee! Link

Starting to make sense now?
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2019, 11:04 PM   #17
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post

From Baltimore tv station:
Quote:
A special election will be held to fill the seat held by U.S. Rep. Elijah Cummings, who died early Thursday from complications of a series of recent health issues.

The regular primary for the seat is April 28, but under state law, that's too far away to leave the seat vacant.

State law gives Gov. Larry Hogan 10 days to issue a proclamation declaring that a special primary election and a special general election will be held to fill the vacancy.

The special primary election will be held on a Tuesday that is at least 65 days after the date of the proclamation, and the special general election will be held on a Tuesday at least 65 days after the primary.
https://www.wbaltv.com/article/state...yland/29501195
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2019, 01:13 AM   #18
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
lol, in the thread about the passing of a great Democrat some people here still can't help but mention Trump within the first 10 posts
I don't think it's anything more than the low expectations Trump has earned. This is a man who bragged about hitting on the widow at a funeral, who didn't know (as he admitted) Cokie Roberts yet still had to acknowledge her passing with "she was never nice to me", who was still fighting with a deceased national hero at the time of his funeral, who took on the Bush clan at the time of the patriarch's funeral.... and this is the death of someone he recently did battle with. The least he could've done was say something about him at least being able to now move out of his crappy district.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2019, 03:04 AM   #19
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
I don't think it's anything more than the low expectations Trump has earned. This is a man who bragged about hitting on the widow at a funeral, who didn't know (as he admitted) Cokie Roberts yet still had to acknowledge her passing with "she was never nice to me", who was still fighting with a deceased national hero at the time of his funeral, who took on the Bush clan at the time of the patriarch's funeral.... and this is the death of someone he recently did battle with. The least he could've done was say something about him at least being able to now move out of his crappy district.
I'm surprised he managed more than an emoji or two.

I suppose you can think of it as a study in contrasts. Rep. Cummings was devoted to looking out for the people of Bmore, and for voting rights and Civil Rights throughout the country more generally. Whether in Baltimore proper, or in the suburbs of Baltimore or Howard counties, he was willing to listen to the people who lived there, took their concerns seriously, and worked for them.

Cheeto Benito, and his goons, are much more like the adults running around and screaming slurs because he was in "their" pool - a pack of loudmouthed white supremacists that do nothing but waste our time and energy on asinine fights about how they are the natural-born "best" humans, who disprove their own theory of their superiority every day.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics