ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , meghan markle , political gaffes , Trump controversies , US-UK relations

Old 1st June 2019, 09:39 AM   #1
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Donald Trumps comes to London

Donald Trump arrives in the UK tomorrow for a full state visit (with his family in tow). Already he is causing controversy when he appeared to interfere in UK politics by endorsing Boris Johnson as the next Prime Minister, when he has not even been elected leader of the Tory Party yet.

Quote:
Donald Trump has said Boris Johnson would be an "excellent" choice for the Conservative Party leadership.

In an interview with the Sun ahead of his visit to the UK, Mr Trump said: "I think Boris would do a very good job."

The US president said other candidates had sought his endorsement, adding: "I could help anybody."
This, of course, has riled the other leadership contenders:

Quote:
Mr Trump said he also looked favourably on Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt, telling the Sun: "Yup, I like him."

But he said Environment Secretary Michael Gove had been wrong to apparently criticise him over Iran.

Mr Gove said in an interview that "sabre rattling of the kind that some have advocated is not the way forward".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48478706

So, how do you predict the visit will go, guys?

Great success, disaster, as expected, a laugh a minute or an anti-climax?
Old 1st June 2019, 09:48 AM   #2
Stacyhs
Philosopher

My condolences on his impending visit. I imagine this is much like having to invite a disliked relative to a family wedding.

"I could help anybody."

Typical.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2019, 10:37 AM   #3
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
My condolences on his impending visit. I imagine this is much like having to invite a disliked relative to a family wedding.

"I could help anybody."

Typical.
I wish I could be a fly on the wall when Prince Charles goes off on his favourite 'climate change' topic and Trump shakes his head vigorously. Or will Trump have the manners to say nothing and just choke on his bring-your-own-hamburger?
Old 1st June 2019, 10:49 AM   #4
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
I wish I could be a fly on the wall when Prince Charles goes off on his favourite 'climate change' topic and Trump shakes his head vigorously. Or will Trump have the manners to say nothing and just choke on his bring-your-own-hamburger?
Let me just close my eyes and imagine that for a few minutes...
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2019, 10:55 AM   #5
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Is he visiting Ireland? Last I heard that was being held up by his insistence that the visit be held at one of his golf properties.

I suppose the baby trump balloon will be in evidence.
Old 1st June 2019, 11:08 AM   #6
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Is he visiting Ireland? Last I heard that was being held up by his insistence that the visit be held at one of his golf properties.
Emoluments clause anyone?

Quote:
Who needs a balloon when the real Baby Trump is present?
Old 1st June 2019, 11:50 AM   #7
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Who needs a balloon when the real Baby Trump is present?
Good question. It's those that hate him the most that seem to need more of him.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2019, 12:14 PM   #8
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
"Need more of him"? Hell, no. I'd prefer he'd gotten his attention fix by staying on reality TV rather than ever come down that stupid "Look at me!" escalator. But he is, unfortunately, the POTUS and we have to deal with him.
Old 1st June 2019, 12:30 PM   #9
Stacyhs
Philosopher

I do love British humo(u)r! This piece in The Guardian made me laugh. It's meant to be humorous, but sadly, I fear it's closer to the truth than not.
Quote:
In a plot twist no one saw coming, Trump is bringing his four adult children on his forthcoming state visit. It will be like Arrested Development Goes To The UK.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-set-in-london
Old 1st June 2019, 01:05 PM   #10
Mumbles
Philosopher

Oh, indeed it will, neighbor.
Mumbles is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2019, 01:29 PM   #11
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
If it makes some people mad, isn't that all that really matters?

That's my understanding from Trump supporters...
Old 1st June 2019, 02:14 PM   #12
fuelair
Banned

"I could help anybody."

Typical.
I assume (rationally) that it will figuratively **** on its London/British audience.
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2019, 02:16 PM   #13
fuelair
Banned

Oh, I will be overjoyed if that last is fully and appropriately accomplished!!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2019, 03:20 PM   #14
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
As I said previously, I do love Brit humor. Thanks.
Old 1st June 2019, 04:05 PM   #15
Venom
Illuminator

Didn't Boris Johnson slam Trump during the 2016 presidential election?
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2019, 04:19 PM   #16
AnonyMoose
Muse

LOL @ Trump endorsing Boris Johnson...

If Donald Trump and Gary Busey had a love child, Boris Johnson would be the result.
Old 1st June 2019, 05:06 PM   #17
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Apparently he'll be staying at the golf resort, but since the taoiseach* declined to wait upon Trump's pleasure there, they'll meet at the airport.

*Yes, I had to copy and paste that.

Meanwhile, upon hearing the Meagan Markle said bad things about him in 2016, Trump said "I didn't know she was nasty." Since it's on tape, he'll no doubt be calling it fake news.
Old 1st June 2019, 05:50 PM   #18
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Apparently he'll be staying at the golf resort, but since the taoiseach* declined to wait upon Trump's pleasure there, they'll meet at the airport.

*Yes, I had to copy and paste that.

Meanwhile, upon hearing the Meagan Markle said bad things about him in 2016, Trump said "I didn't know she was nasty." Since it's on tape, he'll no doubt be calling it fake news.
In all fairness, what he said was taken out of context. He said "I didn't know she was nasty," in response to being asked if he knew she had made some nasty remarks about him during the campaign.
Old 1st June 2019, 05:54 PM   #19
p0lka
Graduate Poster

Ooh, it's all ramping up a bit.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ays-sadiq-khan
p0lka is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2019, 06:26 PM   #20
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Didn't Boris Johnson slam Trump during the 2016 presidential election?
Not hard enough.
Old 1st June 2019, 06:30 PM   #21
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Farage claims he has been 'banned' by the PM from meeting trump.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2019, 06:53 PM   #22
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

This is a "state" visit? Does that mean he gets a big parade?
Old 1st June 2019, 07:06 PM   #23
Delvo
الشيطان الأبيض

I am confuzzled. When a previous President or two went there and it was a "State Visit", there were comments in the reports about it that this isn't normally done because this was a bigger deal than a normal international visit and indicated a higher level of approval/recognition/friendship with the non-UK leader being honored in this way, so it was only supposed to be reserved for special leaders whose relationship with the UK was especially good, not just anybody who happens to be in the leadership office of some foreign country at the time. Those are welcome to come & go all the time to do the usual government/diplomatic stuff, but it can't be something special every time, and this was supposedly something special. (In context, the complaint was that the President in question wasn't special enough to deserve it, although of course nobody would have suggested that an American President not visit the UK at all; just not the Super Special kind of visit.)

But there's no way that the current government of the UK would give such a specially reserved honor to Trump; they just don't like him. It's a wonder that they'd have him back at all, nevermind going an extra step to honor him.

So what's the deal? Was I misled about the nature of what a "State Visit" is? Or is this not actually that, but merely an ordinary routine visit between heads of state, with the wrong label getting applied?

Last edited by Delvo; 1st June 2019 at 07:09 PM.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2019, 07:42 PM   #24
p0lka
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
I am confuzzled. When a previous President or two went there and it was a "State Visit", there were comments in the reports about it that this isn't normally done because this was a bigger deal than a normal international visit and indicated a higher level of approval/recognition/friendship with the non-UK leader being honored in this way, so it was only supposed to be reserved for special leaders whose relationship with the UK was especially good, not just anybody who happens to be in the leadership office of some foreign country at the time. Those are welcome to come & go all the time to do the usual government/diplomatic stuff, but it can't be something special every time, and this was supposedly something special. (In context, the complaint was that the President in question wasn't special enough to deserve it, although of course nobody would have suggested that an American President not visit the UK at all; just not the Super Special kind of visit.)

But there's no way that the current government of the UK would give such a specially reserved honor to Trump; they just don't like him. It's a wonder that they'd have him back at all, nevermind going an extra step to honor him.

So what's the deal? Was I misled about the nature of what a "State Visit" is? Or is this not actually that, but merely an ordinary routine visit between heads of state, with the wrong label getting applied?
Due to the whole 'brexit' thing, the government are desperate to pander to anyone that is potentially a trade partner, chlorinated warts 'n' all.
p0lka is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2019, 07:57 PM   #25
wasapi
Philosopher

Did Trump recently make a comment about Megan Markel that was, perhaps, unkind? I recall hearing something about a Trump-tweet - yesterday?
Old 1st June 2019, 08:07 PM   #26
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Huh? A "state visit" in the UK is by invitation of the Queen. Said visitors usually stay at the Palace, unless they've got cooties like Trump. (Seriously, the Palace is currently undergoing renovations, the official excuse.)

On Trump's previous visit, the palace wouldn't issue the formal invitation but agreed to have the Queen meet with him as a courtesy. Actual "State Visits" have nothing to do with Parliament. The Palace will work hand-in-glove with 10 Downing, but whether or not the current government likes the visiting head of state really has nothing to do with it. Otherwise, China wouldn't lead the list with five State Visits over Liz's reign.

Only three Presidents have had State Visits, and they're not who you'd think. My theory is that Liz is getting soft in her old age and has decided to forgive us all that dumping their tea in the harbor and refusing to pay taxes and shooting at their soldiers and stuff. No President prior to Dubya had a formal State Visit, and each since then now has.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2019, 09:25 PM   #27
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I trust you mean big blockade there!!!
Old 1st June 2019, 10:24 PM   #28
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
Did Trump recently make a comment about Megan Markel that was, perhaps, unkind? I recall hearing something about a Trump-tweet - yesterday?
See my post #18 above.
Old 1st June 2019, 10:39 PM   #29
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

So how are Londoners getting on with Milkshake Mortar technology?
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2019, 06:23 AM   #30
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

I never called Meghan Markle “nasty.” Made up by the Fake News Media, and they got caught cold! Will @CNN, @nytimes and others apologize? Doubt it!
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2019, 06:24 AM   #31
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

It’s literally on tape.
Old 2nd June 2019, 07:17 AM   #32
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Means nothing. Reality is whatever Trump says it is at the moment.
"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump shemp attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2019, 07:46 AM   #33
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

I never called Meghan Markle ďnasty.Ē Made up by the Fake News Media, and they got caught cold! Will @CNN, @nytimes and others apologize? Doubt it!
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Itís literally on tape.
We all know how poorly Trump spells. When he spoke the word pronounced [nastē], it was written in his notes as 'a pussy she would let me grab'.

Common misunderstanding when translating between languages.
Old 2nd June 2019, 08:06 AM   #34
Lurch
Muse

I'm willing to entertain the notion that Trump didn't intend to call Markle "nasty", and that it seemed that way because of his imprecision of language. In the common vernacular, his sentence could well be taken to mean that he *didn't know* about the things said of her. He might have been kept ignorant of what negativity his handlers could shield him from...
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2019, 08:15 AM   #35
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
I'm willing to entertain the notion that Trump didn't intend to call Markle "nasty", and that it seemed that way because of his imprecision of language. In the common vernacular, his sentence could well be taken to mean that he *didn't know* about the things said of her. He might have been kept ignorant of what negativity his handlers could shield him from...
I'm pretty sure he's used "nasty" before to describe someone who criticizes him. His intent doesn't matter so much as the fact that he's denying he said something that he's on tape saying.

He really has no choice. Either admit that he's an illiterate buffoon who only has certain imprecise pejoratives or claim he didn't say it. "Hey, I didn't mean "nasty nasty", I meant "nasty nasty". "....

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2019, 08:19 AM   #36
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Yup. When Obama visited we had to tolerate a huge cavalcade of armoured cars called the 'beast' which travelled in from the US with him.

Should get the security to run alongside the car as is best mate Kim does.
Old 2nd June 2019, 08:21 AM   #37
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

I'm with Lurch on this. He was informed about her comments - with which he was unaware - and it was made clear that Markle's comments were quite strong. At that point 'nasty' can relate to her as a person ('she's nasty'), or to her comments ('she was nasty about me').

That said, even a wet-behind-the-ears politician knows how to avoid making awkward responses at times like this, and at the very least his denial should have made clear the context of the denial. If he's suggesting he didn't even use the word then ... it's just Trump and he just spews whatever drivel is in his head in the moment.

Last edited by GlennB; 2nd June 2019 at 08:27 AM.
GlennB is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2019, 08:25 AM   #38
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Trump wanted a state visit a couple of years ago but due to his rather tactless comments about London Mayor Saddiq Khan and his openly expressed prejudice against all Muslims, he had to pay a 'working visit' instead.

This one is a proper state visit. He wanted to talk before the house of commons but he'll do it over Speaker John Bercow's dead body.

There is nothing special to be read into a State Visit - which is an invitation by the Queen, not the government - as all sorts of tinpot dictators (e.g, Pinochet, Ceauscescu and Saudi princes) have been entertained by her. Even the Chinese minister after unfortunately executing one of our chaps a few weeks before.
Old 2nd June 2019, 08:28 AM   #39
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
Ha! We can be sure he avidly scours the papers and knows all about her.
Old 2nd June 2019, 08:33 AM   #40
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Ha! We can be sure he avidly scours the papers and knows all about her.
Not sure about that. She's not a fixture on Fox or Breitbart or The White Power Hour, so he legitimately may not know who she is. Hell, he probably has trouble separating Harry and William. It's quite likely he thought they were talking about Merkel and was confused as to how the German leader had married into the Royal Family.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics