ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 28th June 2019, 10:48 AM   #161
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Compare the demeanour and comments from Trump to Putin with those of May.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th June 2019, 10:55 AM   #162
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

President Trump:
Quote:
All of the leaders have come up and said it's incredible what's happened with the United States and they congratulate me and congratulate the people of the United States.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th June 2019, 10:55 AM   #163
autumn1971
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Except for bovine tuberculosis, you can't get TB by eating the organisms.
Well, Trump is composed of 98% ********
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th June 2019, 11:33 AM   #164
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Sigh. There are so many areas in life where other people's actions and beliefs seem to me to be so obviously wrong they must be crazy, but they do them anyway. People smoke cigarettes, wear brown shoes with black pants, vote for Trump, prefer wine to beer, believe in a miaphysite nature of Christ, watch action films, go under the water when swimming, and stand up to wipe. I find all those things completely mad, cannot imagine myself ever doing any of them, and yet millions of other people do them repeatedly without thinking them the least bit wrong. So I've learned not to project my sense of what's sensible onto the general public. People are crazy, and liable to do anything.
As usual, you made me laugh! I also find all those things crazy...well...except for the wine over beer part. I like beer, but I love wine. I guess we're all allowed one 'crazy'.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th June 2019, 11:38 AM   #165
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
President Trump:
Quote:
All of the leaders have come up and said it's incredible what's happened with the United States and they congratulate me and congratulate the people of the United States.
Sure they have, Donnie. Sure they have.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th June 2019, 12:03 PM   #166
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

President Trump:
“All of the leaders have come up and said it's incredible what's happened with the United States and they congratulate me and congratulate the people of the United States.”

I was wondering why the president claimed that “all the leaders” wanted to congratulate the people of the US. Then I realized that in President Trump’s fanciful imagination, these world leaders are congratulating the American people for selecting President Trump .

How do people not see how full of BS this guy is?
Old 28th June 2019, 12:10 PM   #167
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I don't care one bit about by how much Trump loses in 2020.
Heck, I would be ok with him winning if in return all of Congress turns blue.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th June 2019, 12:19 PM   #168
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
President Trump:
“All of the leaders have come up and said it's incredible what's happened with the United States and they congratulate me and congratulate the people of the United States.”

I was wondering why the president claimed that “all the leaders” wanted to congratulate the people of the US. Then I realized that in President Trump’s fanciful imagination, these world leaders are congratulating the American people for selecting President Trump .

How do people not see how full of BS this guy is?
Confirmation bias and willful blindness are powerful things. But don't discount the amount of sheer stupidity involved either.

Quote:
“I don’t believe that,” she said, joining in with the verbal assault on HuffPost for daring to challenge Trump’s version of reality. “I don’t believe he would lie like that.”
Quote:
Four days later and 600 miles northwest awaiting Trump’s rally at Pensacola airport, Gene Ponder, a high school government and politics teacher in Daphne, Alabama, wound up arguing that there was no real difference between having built a wall and falsely claiming to have built one.

“It’s a matter of semantics,” he said, and pointed out that falsely claiming to have built a wall was an effective campaign tool. “It’s wonderful campaigning for the Republican Party in congressional seats around the country, to stimulate the base.”
Quote:
“He doesn’t like fake news. Why would he say things that are not true?” asked Barbara Guzman, who owns a label-making business in nearby Cape Coral. “Most of the things he says I agree with, and I believe.”
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/donal...b04367a87dacf5
Old 28th June 2019, 12:26 PM   #169
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
I don't care one bit about by how much Trump loses in 2020.
Heck, I would be ok with him winning if in return all of Congress turns blue.
I'm halfway on this.

Right now, and I've been saying this for a minute the big issue for me is the Supreme Court. Gorsch and Kavanaugh give us a minimum of a 5-4 majority conservative (which unlike the old days can't be totally separated from the Republican Party) SCOTUS for the foreseeable future, and while Roberts, Alto, and Thomas are not, Gorsch and Kavanaugh are straight party men through and through. Right now the only thing stopping us from effectively living in a theocracy is Chief Justice Roberts occasionally breaking from ranks and having moments of sanity.

The one lasting effect Trump is gonna have regardless of anything we do at this point, is that we have lost the Supreme Court, probably for the length of many of our life times. Everything else he's done can be undone almost as fast as it was done. That's the upside to so much of his decision making coming via "Make it happen" executive orders, the next President can undue all of that in an afternoon with a jar of Wite-Out.

But Trump gets another term and it's all but certain he's gonna get to pick at least one more nominee, and that person is going to be either Ginsburg or Breyer or both. Sorry I don't like it, but that's just playing to the odds. If Trump makes it to 2024 as President we could easily wind up with Kagen and Sotomeyer as the last two liberal judges on the bench. With a 7-2 majority, 4 of them being YesMen to Trump, any pretense of even pretending to hear liberal arguments in cases would go out the window.

Now the question is which is better: Trump to pick nominees and a Dem controlled Senate to block them or a Dem President having to get Justices past a GOP controlled Senate.

I'm leaning (not fully married to just leaning) toward it's better to have a Dem President and a Republican Congress. Trump would just nominate who ever he wanted and that would be it, there would be no changing his mind. We would either have a 5-3 Republican Majority while he stonewalled or a 6-3 Majority after he pushed his nominee through. Hell he'd probably pick a nominee who's sole quality was pissing of the liberals just for the drama and trolling of it all.

A Democratic President facing a GOP Congress would have better (not good mind you just better) chances of making a smart choice of a liberal leaning nominee... with or two things they could sell the GOP on.

Now I could be 100% wrong about this, full stop. But regardless of how we do it preventing a further entrenchment of conservatives in the Supreme Court and making gains at the state legislature level should be the Democratic Party two overwhelming goals, in my opinion.

Whether or not the better way of doing that is a Democratic President or a Democratic Senate is a matter of fair debate.

(It goes without saying that a Democratic President and Democratic Senate would be best, but honestly I don't see that.)

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 28th June 2019 at 12:40 PM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th June 2019, 12:31 PM   #170
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
Oh, and calling Trump's win in 2016 a "waltz to victory" completely ignores how close it was and a lot of shady stuff going on.

In no way does that qualify as a "waltz".
Nice little strawman you've built there. I'll give you a hand to set fire to it when you can't quote someone saying it.

I've said before: your comprehension are as bad as you allege your maths skills are good. I did not say that anywhere, nor even give the impression of thinking it. You've either straight-out made it up, or haven't understood what you've read, and I'm being kind by suggesting the latter.
Old 28th June 2019, 12:39 PM   #171
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Paul2 View Post
Quote:
I want to see Trump lose, and not just by a few percentage points... I want to see him utterly humiliated, and I want to see the entire republican party dragged down with him, followed by at least a decade of them being shut out from any hint of power, as a warning to them that picking a racist con-artist as your leader and engaging in underhanded shenanigans can lead to ruin.
Given how unvarying his 40-42% is, your dream will not happen, I'm way past sorry to tell you.
In my opinion, a loss at 40-42% would be rather humiliating for the republicans (especially if its over multiple elections).

Yeah, the republicans would still win some of the more racist states, but at a 60-40% split, they would likely lose every swing state, every purple state, and perhaps even a few of the reliably red states, like Arizona.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th June 2019, 12:49 PM   #172
Lurch
Muse

To me, Trump's popularity is no mystery. He's the kind of vacuous vessel the GOP can use to get their conservative judges installed (and conservative policies enacted.) As a Canadian, I was until a few years ago kind of aware of the importance Americans placed upon the political stripe of their judges. That's been driven home with awesome force these past three.

With the minority Republicans well aware of their potentially parlous situation, all manner of dirty tricks are deemed fair game in quest of their goals. Trump is the preeminent enabler and hence in some respects a godsend. With the fish rotting from the head, and the leash cast away, the Republican machine has license to surge forward in pursuit of their hearts desires. The first, it appears to me, is the stuffing of the Judiciary with "their" judges. So that in spite of their smaller number, they can better maintain a stranglehold on power.

The conservative American on the street knows this, at least dimly. And their fear of the browning/liberalizing of the country makes them a ready instrument for the likes of a Trump. They will withstand all manner of insult to the nation (and their own sensibilities) if only he will allay those fears.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th June 2019, 12:52 PM   #173
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Yes, its true... Trump's popularity is under water. However, that doesn't mean we should feel happy or comfortable about the situation.

After years of scandal after scandal, after a Mueller report that pointed out evidence of various crimes, and after the most recent rape accusation, his popularity is not only stable but GOING UP.
I take solace in the fact that both Nixon and Bill's ratings went up while they were in crisis.
Old 28th June 2019, 01:03 PM   #174
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue
Right now, and I've been saying this for a minute the big issue for me is the Supreme Court. Gorsch and Kavanaugh give us a minimum of a 5-4 majority conservative (which unlike the old days can't be totally separated from the Republican Party) SCOTUS for the foreseeable future, and while Roberts, Alto, and Thomas are not, Gorsch and Kavanaugh are straight party men through and through. Right now the only thing stopping us from effectively living in a theocracy is Chief Justice Roberts occasionally breaking from ranks and having moments of sanity.
I wonder how Retired Judge Kennedy feels about the current makeup of the supreme court.

He had been the 'swing vote' on a lot of issues, but now that he's retired, he's been replaced by Drunky McRapeface, and the supreme court is currently looked at in quite a negative way by a lot of the population. I wonder if he know what would happen post-retirement whether he would have decided to stick around a few more years with the hope that whomever replaces Stubby McBonespurs would appoint someone a bit more moderate.

We are Groot - Groot

Last edited by Segnosaur; 28th June 2019 at 01:05 PM.
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th June 2019, 01:05 PM   #175
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I wonder how Retired Kennedy feels about the current makeup of the supreme court.

He had been the 'swing vote' on a lot of issues, but now that he's retired, he's been replaced by Drunky McRapeface, and the supreme court is currently looked at in quite a negative way by a lot of the population. I wonder if he know what would happen post-retirement whether he would have decided to stick around a few more years with the hope that whomever replaces Stubby McBonespurs would appoint someone a bit more moderate.
And that's why traditionally I never worried about SCOTUS all that much. Until recently both parties had put nominees on the bench only to have them at least on rare occasions break ranks. SCOTUS was the least tribal of the 3 branches and occasional exceptions aside (*cough* 2000 election *cough) very few of their choices carried the stench of "doing it to protect the party" so even when I disagreed, even vehemently, with a SCOTUS decision they didn't feel "dirty" or "shady."

But now... not so much.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 28th June 2019 at 01:07 PM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th June 2019, 01:57 PM   #176
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Quote:
I wonder how Retired Kennedy feels about the current makeup of the supreme court.

And that's why traditionally I never worried about SCOTUS all that much. Until recently both parties had put nominees on the bench only to have them at least on rare occasions break ranks. SCOTUS was the least tribal of the 3 branches and occasional exceptions aside (*cough* 2000 election *cough) very few of their choices carried the stench of "doing it to protect the party" so even when I disagreed, even vehemently, with a SCOTUS decision they didn't feel "dirty" or "shady."

But now... not so much.
Also, consider that until 2000, almost all presidents also happened to win the popular vote, so any selected nominees could reasonably be seen as reflecting the public mood. However, since then, the republicans have managed to win 2 elections despite losing the popular vote. (Legally it doesn't really make a difference, but morally, it does mean that whatever the president doesn't necessarily act with the approval of the citizens.)

We are Groot - Groot
Old 28th June 2019, 04:16 PM   #177
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

Quote:
As the two leaders sat down for their first meeting in nearly a year, a reporter asked Trump if he would warn Putin not to meddle in America’s upcoming 2020 election.

“Of course,” the president replied. Then he turned to Putin and facetiously said, “Don’t meddle in the election.” He playfully repeated the request while pointing at Putin, who laughed.

The two leaders also bonded Friday over their mutual disdain for “fake news.”

Trump eyed the reporters at a photo opportunity with the Russian leader and told him, “Get rid of them, fake news. You don’t have the problem in Russia. We have it; you don’t have it.”

Putin responded, “Yes, yes, we have it. The same.”
Linky.

The President trolling us on election security and freedom of the press with his dictator BFF.
Old 28th June 2019, 04:23 PM   #178
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
To me, Trump's popularity is no mystery. He's the kind of vacuous vessel the GOP can use to get their conservative judges installed (and conservative policies enacted.) As a Canadian, I was until a few years ago kind of aware of the importance Americans placed upon the political stripe of their judges. That's been driven home with awesome force these past three.

With the minority Republicans well aware of their potentially parlous situation, all manner of dirty tricks are deemed fair game in quest of their goals. Trump is the preeminent enabler and hence in some respects a godsend. With the fish rotting from the head, and the leash cast away, the Republican machine has license to surge forward in pursuit of their hearts desires. The first, it appears to me, is the stuffing of the Judiciary with "their" judges. So that in spite of their smaller number, they can better maintain a stranglehold on power.

The conservative American on the street knows this, at least dimly. And their fear of the browning/liberalizing of the country makes them a ready instrument for the likes of a Trump. They will withstand all manner of insult to the nation (and their own sensibilities) if only he will allay those fears.
That does seem a reasonable explanation.

Some folks on the board have previously hypothesized that a measurable number of President Trump’s supporters know he is BSing, but they see how much the BS upsets the liberals and the supporters take pleasure in that. I think it was summed up as the he-was-hired-to-be-a-troll theory.
Old 28th June 2019, 04:35 PM   #179
Solitaire
Neoclinus blanchardi

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
It looks like Trump has hit his highest popularity rating to date at only -6.7%.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ep...oval-6179.html

Four more years, easy.

From the looks of it, I'll say 66.6 million votes for Trump, and 65.5 million votes
for the democratic candidate. In the last election Trump raised about 250 million
dollars, this election his campaign manager has a billion dollar budget planned.

Still it's early in the process. But I wonder, where are the twenty republican
candidates for president? Shouldn't we at least hear a name or two in the press?
Old 28th June 2019, 04:52 PM   #180
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

After some very important meetings, including my meeting with President Xi of China, I will be leaving Japan for South Korea (with President Moon). While there, if Chairman Kim of North Korea sees this, I would meet him at the Border/DMZ just to shake his hand and say Hello(?)!
Old 28th June 2019, 04:53 PM   #181
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

54% in Poll! I would be at 75% (with our great economy, maybe the best ever) if not for the Phony Witch Hunt and the Fake News Media!
Old 28th June 2019, 05:11 PM   #182
AnonyMoose
Muse

Originally Posted by Tsukasa Buddha View Post
Linky.

The President trolling us on election security and freedom of the press with his dictator BFF.

Un-fricken-believable.

This moron just keeps getting more and more infantile as the days go by. There doesn't seem to be any limit to how low his IQ can drop.

And to think we're all living eyewitnesses to this period of time that'll be recorded in the history books and scoffed at for decades to come.
Old 28th June 2019, 06:15 PM   #183
Cabbage
Suspended

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Nice little strawman you've built there. I'll give you a hand to set fire to it when you can't quote someone saying it.

I've said before: your comprehension are as bad as you allege your maths skills are good. I did not say that anywhere, nor even give the impression of thinking it. You've either straight-out made it up, or haven't understood what you've read, and I'm being kind by suggesting the latter.

I never said you said it. I was still talking to the person I quoted in the immediately previous post, bro (duh!). But thanks for the nice tidy demonstration of your "intellectual acuity" LOL!

Yes, its true... Trump's popularity is under water. However, that doesn't mean we should feel happy or comfortable about the situation.

After years of scandal after scandal, after a Mueller report that pointed out evidence of various crimes, and after the most recent rape accusation, his popularity is not only stable but GOING UP. (Assuming its not just some statistical error.) And there is nothing I can think of that might justify the increase... no big legislation that he managed to help pass through congress, no big international problem he's helped to address. The only thing that i can think of is maybe the Iranian situation, but its hard to see how "I was going to bomb them but decided not to" would really affect his popularity.

That doesn't give much leeway for the democrats. Pick the wrong candidate, or have some unexpected November surprise, and Trump may still pull off a victory.

I want to see Trump lose, and not just by a few percentage points... I want to see him utterly humiliated, and I want to see the entire republican party dragged down with him, followed by at least a decade of them being shut out from any hint of power, as a warning to them that picking a racist con-artist as your leader and engaging in underhanded shenanigans can lead to ruin.

Well given the fact that a waltz is a form of physical activity, I can't see Trump waltzing anywhere (unless he can figure out how to do it while driving a golf cart).

Seriously, I think you're getting hung up on the phrasing here. Yes, "waltzing to victory" implies an easy win, but I think the term could apply to to the 2016 election... Trump's campaign was often labeled a "dumpster fire", but he still managed to pull off a victory, despite not putting any effort into coming up with decent policies or making any serious attempts to appeal to voters outside of his base.

Last edited by Cabbage; 28th June 2019 at 06:21 PM.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th June 2019, 06:20 PM   #184
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Paul2 View Post
Are. You. Serious?! That is the first I've heard of such a thing, and I don't know how I will carry on.
Standing to wipe? Good god! Some people are just uncivilized animals! If God meant us to stand, he wouldn't have invented toilet seats.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 28th June 2019 at 06:41 PM.
Old 28th June 2019, 06:26 PM   #185
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Trump Tweets

54% in Poll! I would be at 75% (with our great economy, maybe the best ever) if not for the Phony Witch Hunt and the Fake News Media!
And I could fly if I had wings!
Old 28th June 2019, 06:45 PM   #186
Cabbage
Suspended

Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
From the looks of it, I'll say 66.6 million votes for Trump, and 65.5 million votes
for the democratic candidate. In the last election Trump raised about 250 million
dollars, this election his campaign manager has a billion dollar budget planned.

candidates for president? Shouldn't we at least hear a name or two in the press?
Wow, that's a rather impressive display of pulling numbers out of your ass! Is that what you do for a living?
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th June 2019, 07:42 PM   #187
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Trump Tweets

After some very important meetings, including my meeting with President Xi of China, I will be leaving Japan for South Korea (with President Moon). While there, if Chairman Kim of North Korea sees this, I would meet him at the Border/DMZ just to shake his hand and say Hello(?)!

And international relations has sunk to this level.
Old 28th June 2019, 07:47 PM   #188
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

Trump's emergency border funding loses in court.
Old 28th June 2019, 08:10 PM   #189
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Trump Didn't Tweet (but said out loud)

Quote:
“We may go to the DMZ, or the border, as they call it. That, by the way -- when you talk about a wall, when you talk about a border, that’s what you call a border. Nobody goes through that border. Just about nobody. That’s called a real border.”
Not only has he never read War And Peace, but doesn't understand the juxtaposition of those two words. He actually looks longingly at the Korean DMZ??!!

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th June 2019, 08:14 PM   #190
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Maybe he could bring Lionel Ritchie along to sing it for him.
Old 28th June 2019, 08:25 PM   #191
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Trump eyed the reporters at a photo opportunity with the Russian leader and told him, “Get rid of them, fake news. You don’t have the problem in Russia. We have it; you don’t have it.”
Right, Putin has them murdered. Donnie is joking with a leader who has had opponents murdered, Trump finds that humorous. And the American public has become so numbed to Trump's daily assaults on decent and democracy, there's little reaction.

Remember the Bill O'Reilly interview in February 2017?
Quote:
O'Reilly pressed on, declaring to the president that “Putin is a killer.”
Unfazed, Trump didn't back away, but rather compared Putin's reputation for extrajudicial killings with the United States'. “There are a lot of killers. We have a lot of killers,” Trump said. “Well, you think our country is so innocent?” Link
Not the first time.
Quote:
In a 2015 interview on “Morning Joe,” Trump was pressed on the same issue and gave a similar answer. “[Putin] kills journalists that don't agree with him,” the show's host, Joe Scarborough, pointed out.
“Well, I think that our country does plenty of killing, too, Joe,” Trump said.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th June 2019, 08:28 PM   #192
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Not only has he never read War And Peace, but doesn't understand the juxtaposition of those two words. He actually looks longingly at the Korean DMZ??!!
With visions of a TMZ* dancing in his head.

*Trump Militarized Zone
Old 28th June 2019, 09:25 PM   #193
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
In American English, 'spit' is used as the preterit and the past participle.
We're such rebels!
Meh, I'm not going to worry about it too much. It's just one of the Trump nits who grew into lice. It's not like it happened to a person.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th June 2019, 10:32 PM   #194
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by TofuFighter View Post
(rolleyeslet'sdothisyeah)
I also momentarily stopped at the highlighted "many years" part, but that was just trump retweeting Lindsay Graham, so no problem there.
Oh. I don't think that was clear it was a retweet. I'll revisit it... maybe... nah, so unimportant.
Old 28th June 2019, 10:41 PM   #195
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

How would data on this even be gathered as most rapes go unreported?...
Surveys using various methodologies.
Old 28th June 2019, 10:47 PM   #196
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Or a game show.

Did Pres. Donald J. Trump Really Tweet That?

Play the exciting new game where contestants try to determine which tweet was actually written by the former president or a monkey playing with a keyboard, a 10 yr. old boy, or an inmate at an insane asylum! Available online or as a board game. Rated for Mature Audiences only.
Old 28th June 2019, 10:50 PM   #197
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

And just in case you didn't think Trump has increase the deficit enough, or given enough benefits to the wealthy....

From: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/wh...ort-2019-06-27
The White House is considering a plan to index capital gains to inflation -- and do so in a way that bypasses Congress...Such a move would likely draw legal challenges over whether it has such authority. The top 1% would receive 86% of the benefit from such a move...and would cost $102 billion over a decade.

So we have a potential plan that 1) helps the rich, 2) takes away power from congress, and 3) increases the debt even more.
Don't forget the billions in tariffs Trump is collecting from the average consumer, pretending that is a tax on China and Mexico, et al.
Old 28th June 2019, 10:53 PM   #198
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Surveys using various methodologies.
Like what?
Old 28th June 2019, 10:55 PM   #199
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
The government must demonstrate there is a valid reason for asking and that this is the least onerous way of asking.

Given that the census is for reapportionment, a process which citizenship is not a factor of, they fail on the first point.

Given that asking this question will skew participation and thus the results of a constitutionally mandated process, certainly a survey that is not the census would be less onerous.

ETA: I'm not particularly a fan of any demographic identifying information in the census. The only metric that matters is "number of persons residing."
They can't give the real reason: they are hoping to further gerrymander districts to solidify a permanent GOP majority in Congress. So they have to make a reason up.

It might have worked but they got busted when email discussions of the real reason were leaked.

If they admitted the real reason, who knows, maybe the court would have said, Oh, okay, that's political not judicial, have at it.
Old 28th June 2019, 10:56 PM   #200
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
Nobody's that dumb.

If you were a Republican and fancy your chances of becoming president, you'd wait until 2024, because Trump would beat any candidate out of sight.

I never said you said it. I was still talking to the person I quoted in the immediately previous post, bro (duh!).
When you make things up, who the post was to is irrelevant.

You know this, but are dishonest enough to try to cover for the fact that you used strawman.

LOL!
LOL... bro... I can see I'm in the company of an intellectual giant alright.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics