ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 29th June 2019, 04:26 PM   #241
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

I am in South Korea now. President Moon and I have “toasted” our new Trade Deal, a far better one for us than that which it replaced. Today I will visit with, and speak to, our Troops - and also go to the the DMZ (long planned). My meeting with President Moon went very well!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th June 2019, 04:38 PM   #242
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Have you listened to Republicans, lately? Especially the ones who are saying things like, "Trump hates fake news so much, so why would he lie to us?"
Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
No, he couldn't. But he might siphon off enough R votes to defeat Trump. Better would be for some actual right-winger to run, and attract the Nazi & Fundy votes.
You don't think Trump is an actual right-winger? There's no reason for Nazis and fundies to vote against him.

Meanwhile, a superficial search on my part turns up these numbers: "As of October 2017, Gallup polling found that 31% of Americans identified as Democrat, 24% identified as Republican, and 42% as Independent."

A moderate sort of Republican-lite type could probably siphon off some Dem votes as well depending on who the nominee is.

And as for stupid people ... yes, there are quite a few. But I wouldn't overgeneralize based on selected quotes in the media. For a reporter or editor, it's always tempting to pump up the stupidest quotes, but not everyone is that stupid.
Minoosh is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th June 2019, 05:09 PM   #243
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
President Donald Trump is planning a special, private celebration in Washington, D.C. on the Fourth of July for his family and friends, as well as ticketed “VIP” guests.

The Secret Service has said that this event will block off an area from the steps of the Lincoln Memorial to around the midpoint of the reflecting pool.

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/06/tru...ps-report/amp/
What, no military parade?
Old 29th June 2019, 05:16 PM   #244
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Tsukasa Buddha View Post
Quote:
When asked specifically about Biden's past stances on busing, Trump appeared to think the controversy was around the mode of transportation itself, and not school desegregation.

"It has been something that they've done for a long period of time," Trump said. "There aren't that many ways of getting people to schools."
Linky.
Ignorance just drips off that guy.
Old 29th June 2019, 05:34 PM   #245
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Sadly, it's to the point where nothing Trump says or tweets can be believed until proven truthful by independent fact checking. He has lied so much that anything and everything he says must be regarded as suspect. Pitiful.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th June 2019, 05:45 PM   #246
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Considering that East Germany was under Russian domination a mere 30 years ago, this is especially damning as to the US's current standing in the Free World:

Quote:
Nearly as many Germans feel threatened by the United States as they do by Russia, while less than half feel North Korea is a danger, according to a new poll.

A recent survey conducted by Germany's Forsa Institute for Social Research and Statistical Analysis alongside International Politik magazine and featured Saturday by the Bild tabloid found that 55 percent of respondents thought the U.S. was a threat to the country, just one point less than the 56 percent who said the same of Russia. The two countries have long competed for influence across Europe, and renewed tensions between them have again placed Germany in the middle of a transatlantic competition.
https://www.newsweek.com/us-dangerou...y-poll-1282339

While Obama remains very popular with Germans, Trump is widely loathed.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th June 2019, 06:00 PM   #247
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Ignorance just drips off that guy.
Seriously, I'm next expecting to denounce violins on TV.
Old 29th June 2019, 06:46 PM   #248
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
And as for stupid people ... yes, there are quite a few. But I wouldn't overgeneralize based on selected quotes in the media. For a reporter or editor, it's always tempting to pump up the stupidest quotes, but not everyone is that stupid.
Quite a few as in "far, far more than enough to prevent Kasich from winning in a Presidential race against Trump and <insert Democratic Party candidate>, if Kasich ran." The Republican Party is already at a very distinct disadvantage when it comes to raw numbers. They've compensated by aggressively and cynically propagandizing and both causing and then tapping into the anger of their people, as well as engaging in a host of unsavory schemes to tilt the playing field in their favor. That's barely kept them coming out ahead, but the coming out ahead part is what they care about. Kasich dividing the vote would mean nigh certain defeat for both Trump and himself, where either would have a fighting chance on their own.
Old 29th June 2019, 07:46 PM   #249
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump tweets

I had a great meeting with President Xi of China yesterday, far better than expected. I agreed not to increase the already existing Tariffs that we charge China while we continue to negotiate. China has agreed that, during the negotiation, they will begin purchasing large.....

....amounts of agricultural product from our great Farmers. At the request of our High Tech companies, and President Xi, I agreed to allow Chinese company Huawei to buy product from them which will not impact our National Security. Importantly, we have opened up negotiations...

....again with China as our relationship with them continues to be a very good one. The quality of the transaction is far more important to me than speed. I am in no hurry, but things look very good! There will be no reduction in the Tariffs currently being charged to China.
"we charge China while we continue to negotiate". Has any other President been so consistently wrong about a simple, factual matter for so long?
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th June 2019, 08:26 PM   #250
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

You don't think Trump is an actual right-winger? There's no reason for Nazis and fundies to vote against him.

Meanwhile, a superficial search on my part turns up these numbers: "As of October 2017, Gallup polling found that 31% of Americans identified as Democrat, 24% identified as Republican, and 42% as Independent."

A moderate sort of Republican-lite type could probably siphon off some Dem votes as well depending on who the nominee is.

No, I actually don't. He's a Trumpist first, last, and only; who caught on with the right because of hating Obama for making fun of him. He doesn't believe in any of the stuff they do; only in himself. But he's figured out what to say to make the Nazi's love him.
Old 29th June 2019, 08:35 PM   #251
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
From there (and your quote):

Holy .
History is not his type.
Old 29th June 2019, 08:39 PM   #252
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Sax and violins.
Old 29th June 2019, 09:57 PM   #253
Stacyhs
Philosopher

No, I actually don't. He's a Trumpist first, last, and only; who caught on with the right because of hating Obama for making fun of him. He doesn't believe in any of the stuff they do; only in himself. But he's figured out what to say to make the Nazi's love him.
I agree. Trump has no political philosophy. Trump is an opportunist. He is for whatever he thinks benefits him the most at the time. Evidence of that is that he's registered five different times since 1987 including Republican (2X), Democratic (1X),and Independence Parties (1X) and "as no political party" (1X).
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...s-at-least-fi/
Old 29th June 2019, 10:07 PM   #254
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

No, he couldn't. But he might siphon off enough R votes to defeat Trump. Better would be for some actual right-winger to run, and attract the Nazi & Fundy votes.
Trouble is, all those guys love Trump. David Duke endorsed him.
Old 29th June 2019, 11:06 PM   #255
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

(Delete - was intended for the Corrupted Wishes thread)
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.

Last edited by Blue Mountain; 29th June 2019 at 11:09 PM.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th June 2019, 11:24 PM   #256
slyjoe
Graduate Poster

Or presidential erections?
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th June 2019, 12:56 AM   #257
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
Regardless of its results, indexing capital gains seems logical and fair.
Why?

Quote:
If one holds an asset that doubles in value over a time span during which prices also double, one has had no real net gain.
But what if it was the assets doubling in 'value' that caused the prices to go up?

Quote:
Taxing what was basically holding one’s own, not a real gain, seems illogical and unfair.
If it's not losing value then it is a real gain. Think all the things you spend most of your income on - are they 'holding their own', or do they lose value over time as they wear out or are consumed?

As asset that 'holds it's own' in times of inflation is worth a lot more than just its 'value', because it means you don't have keep working to earn more money. But people working is what keeps the economy going, so all those people who have to work their butts off because they don't have assets are helping you to stay rich. Is that 'fair'?

The answer is - it doesn't matter. Capitalism accumulates wealth in the hands of a few, and creates disparities which ultimately lead to a breakdown of society. So whether you think it's 'fair' or not, if you don't want them coming at you with pitchforks it pays to put a little back into the system that made you rich.
Old 30th June 2019, 04:31 AM   #258
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump tweets

The highly respected Farm Journal has just announced my Approval Rating with our great Farmers at 74%, and that despite all of the Fake & Corrupt News that they are forced to endure. Farmers have been unfairly treated for many years - and that is turning around FAST!

The leaders of virtually every country that I met at the G-20 congratulated me on our great economy. Many countries are having difficulties on that score. We have the best economy anywhere in the world, with GREAT & UNLIMITED potential looking into the future!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th June 2019, 05:17 AM   #259
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

...and Crustacean Terrorists!
Old 30th June 2019, 05:23 AM   #260
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

You don't think Trump is an actual right-winger?
I agree with Trebuchet - Trump has no ideological core that can be called right-wing or left-wing. Without core beliefs, he just says whatever any given group of listeners wants to hear at any given time. I think that’s been patently obvious for a long time.
Old 30th June 2019, 05:36 AM   #261
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Regarding my assertion that indexing capital gains is logical and fair...

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
Why?
I think I explained why. Regardless, this is not directly relevant to a thread on Donald Trump.

If I feel motivated later, I may start a thread on it. Or not.
Old 30th June 2019, 05:49 AM   #262
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th June 2019, 10:16 AM   #263
KDLarsen
Illuminator

We can add Western liberalism and busing to the list of subjects trump is apparently clueless about.

On the former, he started ranting about San Francisco and Los Angeles, having apparently mistaken it for west coast liberals. On the latter, he started talking about various means of commuting to and from school...
KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th June 2019, 10:52 AM   #264
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Sure they have, Donnie. Sure they have.
Who talks like this anyway???

"All of the leaders have come up and said it's incredible what's happened with the United States and they congratulate me and congratulate the people of the United States."

It sounds like little kids. "I'm the king of the fort and all the kids told me it's the best fort and they wish they had a fort like it and the people in my fort are better than any other fort and everybody said so!"
isissxn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th June 2019, 11:08 AM   #265
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Yes. I wonder how Trump supporters think he is making America great:

A notorious liar.
Communicates via Twitter.
Can't spell (and does not have the common sense to let someone proof-read his messages).
... etc, etc.

Does that make America great in your eyes?

It certainly doesn't in the eyes of most of the world. If this wasn't so serious, we'd be rolling on the floor laughing.

Hans
Old 30th June 2019, 11:11 AM   #266
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

I'm sure someone will come along and remind us of some time Obama or Clinton or some Democrat a hundred years ago was ignorant of something and that this is just like that, so it's all cool.
Old 30th June 2019, 11:14 AM   #267
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
The economy is doing fine, and the trumpchildren think it's thanks to him.
He goes after trans soldiers and brown people, women, and other people they fear and/or hate.
The wall fence barrier might become a reality.
No new wars. Yet.
His sucking-up to world dictators makes them pretend to like him, which to Trumpkins translates to diplomatic successes and Peace in our Time.
They live in a safe bubble only good news are allowed to penetrate.

Etc.
Old 30th June 2019, 11:23 AM   #268
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

In the last 24 hours, I saw a few political Facebook posts by friends and relatives supporting positions I totally disagree with (and were totally wrong, besides). I have not seen any political posts for quite some time, so this was a surprise. My immediate instinct was to reply with you know, facts and stuff. But fortunately I let this pass knowing nothing would be solved nor minds educated.

Geez, Trump supporters are stupid, clueless *****!
Old 30th June 2019, 11:52 AM   #269
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by isissxn View Post

"All of the leaders have come up and said it's incredible what's happened with the United States and they congratulate me and congratulate the people of the United States."...
The voices in Trump's head.
Old 30th June 2019, 12:07 PM   #270
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Ruling the world as America should.

Think about all the years Americans have feared North Korea and Russia - now, they're pals he sits down with, or walks to meet.

Iran - so long an enemy it made Dubbya's Axis of Evil, but was then pandered to by that weak-kneed Obama. Where's Iran now? Banished by the entire world - except for those Commie Chinese, and isn't he giving them a whooping? - Iran is a shadow of its former self, and clearly no longer a threat to the chosen regimes of Israel & Saudi in the ME. He's put the damn Euro-trash back where it belongs and is shaping the entire civilisation. Any American should be polishing their flagstaff right now.

He dominates the world news, and as the world pities Mutti Merkel, Trump walks on the freaking DMZ in Korea!

Add that to a robust economy and ask yourself why any red-blooded American would vote against him.

It certainly doesn't in the eyes of most of the world. If this wasn't so serious, we'd be rolling on the floor laughing.

Hans
Hey, we were warned about exactly this all the way back in the 20th century.

Just don't tell me you're surprised.
Old 30th June 2019, 12:43 PM   #271
Tero
Graduate Poster

He dominates the news with bullying and rather crude simple insults. This is leadership? In the world he has achieved nothing. He loves Kim because most of the world hates both of them.
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th June 2019, 01:05 PM   #272
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Tero View Post
He dominates the news with bullying and rather crude simple insults. This is leadership? In the world he has achieved nothing. He loves Kim because most of the world hates both of them.
I think Trump also has some kind of fantasy that he ended a nuclear threat with his 'negotiating skills'.

Not only has the threat not really changed, Kim needs money and sanctions lifted. He doesn't need a N Korean-Trump beach resort.
Old 30th June 2019, 01:12 PM   #273
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Fox News host Tucker Carlson said on Sunday that part of “what it means to lead a country” is “killing people.” Carlson made the comment while speaking to Fox & Friends from South Korea, after witnessing president Trump become the first sitting president to walk into North Korean territory.

Carlson is reportedly a guest of the White House on the diplomatic trip to South Korea, along with the president's daughter Ivanka Trump and son-in-law Jared Kushner, both of whom are senior White House advisers. Carlson will reportedly interview the president on Sunday for a Fox News special airing Monday night.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/tucker...killing-people

TC: There’s no defending NK but hold my beer.

Last edited by Sideroxylon; 30th June 2019 at 01:14 PM.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th June 2019, 01:51 PM   #274
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
The economy is doing fine, and the trumpchildren think it's thanks to him.
He goes after trans soldiers and brown people, women, and other people they fear and/or hate.
The wall fence barrier might become a reality.
No new wars. Yet.
His sucking-up to world dictators makes them pretend to like him, which to Trumpkins translates to diplomatic successes and Peace in our Time.
They live in a safe bubble only good news are allowed to penetrate.

Etc.
Yeah, yeah. In never-never land everything is possible. My fault. I forgot this is the country where a considerable fraction of the population thinks evolution is false, that guns for everybody means everybody is safer, and such stuff. I suppose in that perspective he IS making America great.

Hans
Old 30th June 2019, 02:08 PM   #275
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Praising one dictator while tearing up an agreement and building up for war against another.
Old 30th June 2019, 02:26 PM   #276
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
Praising one dictator while tearing up an agreement and building up for war against another.
You mean bumbling around the world on the US taxpayers' tab, saying and doing anything, ANYTHING, as long as it keeps his fat orange face front and center on TV and pays him tax-free. He is such a publicity-whore that he will eat his own **** live on Fox and Friends if it gets him extra publicity.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th June 2019, 02:49 PM   #277
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by isissxn View Post

"All of the leaders have come up and said it's incredible what's happened with the United States and they congratulate me and congratulate the people of the United States."

It sounds like little kids. "I'm the king of the fort and all the kids told me it's the best fort and they wish they had a fort like it and the people in my fort are better than any other fort and everybody said so!"
Trump's speech patterns and vocabulary are definitely grade school level:
Quote:
President Donald Trump—who boasted over the weekend that his success in life was a result of "being, like, really smart"—communicates at the lowest grade level of the last 15 presidents, according to a new analysis of the speech patterns of presidents going back to Herbert Hoover.

The analysis assessed the first 30,000 words each president spoke in office, and ranked them on the Flesch-Kincaid grade level scale and more than two dozen other common tests analyzing English-language difficulty levels. Trump clocked in around mid-fourth grade, the worst since Harry Truman, who spoke at nearly a sixth-grade level.
https://www.newsweek.com/trump-fire-...s-obama-774169

Quote:
Geoffrey Pullum, a linguist at University of Edinburgh, argues that there’s more going on than just a conversational, I’ll-let-you-fill-in-the-gaps-style. Trump’s unorganized sentences and short snippets might suggest something about how his mind works. "His speech suggests a man with scattered thoughts, a short span of attention, and a lack of intellectual discipline and analytical skills," Pullum says.
https://www.vox.com/2016/8/18/124236...d-by-linguists

REALLY? I've never noticed!
Old 30th June 2019, 03:07 PM   #278
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

First sitting president to get to walk across the border. All he had to do was give significant concessions without really getting anything in return. 'Cause he's such a bigly good negotiator.

Gee, why didn't any of the other presidents think of that?
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th June 2019, 03:11 PM   #279
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
Yeah, but one of them is a muslim, mind. You know, like scary Obama.

Funny thing is, now that I think of it, all the Iranian priests probably need to do is invite Trump over, suck up to him, put on a sword dance show for him to watch over his ice cream, and let him touch the shining BFF orb, and he'll be gushing on Twitter about how bigly good and friendly the Iranians are, etc.
Old 30th June 2019, 03:13 PM   #280
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

A quick Google search finds Trump's vocabulary rated between just below 6th grade (WA Po) and 4th grade (Newsweek). Sounds about right.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics