ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 17th August 2019, 02:22 PM   #1
AnonyMoose
Muse
 
AnonyMoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Land of the Frozen Chosen
Posts: 574
The Trump Presidency: Sweet/Sweat 16

Mod InfoThis is a continuation from Part 15, which has been closed for length. Posts from previous parts may be freely quoted here.

Also, The Loss Leader is BACK (limitations apply).
Posted By:Loss Leader



It's pretty obvious to me why Trump is taking a sudden interest in Greenland...

The Arctic is melting, opening up a whole slew of potential untapped oil reserves and other natural resources.

Greenland is a stones throw away in all directions and could be set up as a major port and ground base for oil exploration/extraction on the seas. The Arctic will soon be an area of contention that countries and oil barons will be fighting over.

There's no doubt in my mind that Canada is going to have one hell of a nightmare on its hands within the next 10-20 years, fighting to try to protect the Arctic biome in our northern territories and waters while corporations come flocking by the hundreds in search of oil and other natural resources.

Trump wants in on the action before it starts.

Buying the land (or at least part of it) means he has the ability to build shipping ports, accomodations, restaurants, places of entertainment, etc for the hundreds (perhaps thousands) of men and women who will be working for these companies.

In a nutshell: It gives Trump free reign to develop and build to his heart's content when the time comes.

Becoming president has given Trump access to detailed information that he wouldn't otherwise be aware of as a common citizen.... I suspect he has learned a lot about what's going on in the oil industry behind the scenes and its plans of development and exploration in the foreseeable future.

Trump sees dollar signs in everything he looks at and is constantly thinking of ways to try to make a buck for himself. Greenland is no exception.
__________________
"Some mornings it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps." ~ Emo Phillips

Last edited by Loss Leader; 17th August 2019 at 02:56 PM.
AnonyMoose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th August 2019, 04:05 PM   #2
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 23,305
Dude is the most incompetent racist fascist dictator of a superpower that has ever lived. The new fascism... you don't do brutal military takeovers and you don't do genocide. Is this some kind of Sesame Street slow roll to white supremacy? Those Nazis who elected him must be seething at this limp noodle dove kind of worthless pansy boy.

He actually asked if he could purchase Greenland? He doesn't know the first thing about being a white supremacist. I betcha he's never even joined a Nazi white supremacist website. Does he know which end of a gun to hold? What a frikkin dolt!
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th August 2019, 05:13 PM   #3
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised
 
shemp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: People's Democratic Republic of Planet X
Posts: 31,712
If you want something you just take it! Let's find a provocation (stale pastries?) and go to war with Denmark!
__________________
"Shemp, you are the one fixed point in an ever-changing universe." - Beady
"I don't want to live in a world without shemp." - Quarky
"Real name? Xavier Jorge Gladdius Horatio McShrimp. No wonder he goes by shemp." - wasapi
"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump shemp attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th August 2019, 05:16 PM   #4
Apathia
Philosopher
 
Apathia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 5,342
Originally Posted by shemp View Post
If you want something you just take it! Let's find a provocation (stale pastries?) and go to war with Denmark!
I hear there's something rotten in Denmark.
Let's go package it as a health supplement!
__________________
"At the Supreme Court level where we work, 90 percent of any decision is emotional. The rational part of us supplies the reasons for supporting our predilections."
Justice William O. Douglas

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th August 2019, 05:33 PM   #5
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 24,279
Originally Posted by WilliamSeger
You'll have to wait until they get organized enough to have a sign-up.
Indeed. "Antifa" as used by the alt-right and their apologists is literally "whoever shows up to express opposition to the fascists/white nationalists". There's no form to sign.
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th August 2019, 05:34 PM   #6
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing
 
alfaniner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 20,584
(I much preferred "Tweet 16" as suggested, but whatever...)
__________________
Science is self-correcting.
Woo is self-contradicting.
alfaniner is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th August 2019, 05:52 PM   #7
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing
 
newyorkguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NY
Posts: 10,176
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
"Antifa" as used by the alt-right and their apologists is literally "whoever shows up to express opposition to the fascists/white nationalists". There's no form to sign.
And of course Trump doesn't understand this.
Quote:
"Major consideration is being given to naming ANTIFA an 'ORGANIZATION OF TERROR.' Portland is being watched very closely. Hopefully the Mayor will be able to properly do his job!" Trump tweeted. Link
Or does he but knows his base won't?

What's the Portland connection? The Proud Boys are staging a 'protest' there and expect counter-demonstrators to show up. As a local (New York) politician noted this afternoon, "Once again president Trump aligns himself with white Nationalists."

Proud Boys founder Gavin McInnes:
Quote:
“Like Gavin McInnes says, violence isn’t great, but justified violence is amazing.” McInnes has claimed repeatedly that “fighting solves everything”. In a podcast last May, he said: “You’re not a man until you’ve had the crap beaten out of you [and] beaten the crap out of someone.” News link
Strange times.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th August 2019, 06:26 PM   #8
Armitage72
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,288
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Indeed. "Antifa" as used by the alt-right and their apologists is literally "whoever shows up to express opposition to the fascists/white nationalists". There's no form to sign.

It's been speculated before that that's the whole point. They declare a group that doesn't exist as an actual group to be terrorists and then classify anyone who annoys them as part of that "group".
Armitage72 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th August 2019, 06:57 PM   #9
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator
 
Delphic Oracle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 3,548
Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
And of course Trump doesn't understand this.

Or does he but knows his base won't?

What's the Portland connection? The Proud Boys are staging a 'protest' there and expect counter-demonstrators to show up. As a local (New York) politician noted this afternoon, "Once again president Trump aligns himself with white Nationalists."

Proud Boys founder Gavin McInnes:


Strange times.
Because Portland has about the largest nexus of absolute stone stupid Antifa anywhere in the country* who will play right into the narrative and think themselves heroes for it.

*perhaps tied with Berkeley/Bay Area in general

Last edited by Delphic Oracle; 17th August 2019 at 06:59 PM.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th August 2019, 07:33 PM   #10
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher
 
Regnad Kcin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,444
Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
(I much preferred "Tweet 16" as suggested, but whatever...)
Much agreed. “Sweat” 16?
__________________
My heros are Alex Zanardi and Evelyn Glennie.
Regnad Kcin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th August 2019, 09:03 PM   #11
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing
 
alfaniner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 20,584
Quote:
Quote:
"Major consideration is being given to naming ANTIFA an 'ORGANIZATION OF TERROR.' Portland is being watched very closely. Hopefully the Mayor will be able to properly do his job!" Trump tweeted.
Notice no mention of the group they were protesting against.

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
Much agreed. “Sweat” 16?
I know... It conjures up an image I'd rather not have in my brain. (Unfortunately also, "Sweet 16" does too.) Plus, I don't get any connection for the former.
__________________
Science is self-correcting.
Woo is self-contradicting.
alfaniner is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th August 2019, 09:09 PM   #12
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 24,279
Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
It's been speculated before that that's the whole point. They declare a group that doesn't exist as an actual group to be terrorists and then classify anyone who annoys them as part of that "group".
It is a speculation I tend to agree with.
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th August 2019, 12:12 AM   #13
Norman Alexander
Philosopher
 
Norman Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 6,186
Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
It's been speculated before that that's the whole point. They declare a group that doesn't exist as an actual group to be terrorists and then classify anyone who annoys them as part of that "group".
Can we enroll Trump in Antifa? The American No To Illegal Families Activists?


(Go on, everyone! I'm sure there's plenty of better acronym sources than me. )
__________________
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th August 2019, 12:25 AM   #14
dann
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 8,732
Originally Posted by Apathia View Post
I hear there's something rotten in Denmark.

There is! There is!!!
__________________
/dann
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th August 2019, 01:44 AM   #15
quadraginta
Becoming Beth
 
quadraginta's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Central Vale of Humility
Posts: 24,098
Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Dude is the most incompetent racist fascist dictator of a superpower that has ever lived. The new fascism... you don't do brutal military takeovers and you don't do genocide. Is this some kind of Sesame Street slow roll to white supremacy? Those Nazis who elected him must be seething at this limp noodle dove kind of worthless pansy boy.

He actually asked if he could purchase Greenland? He doesn't know the first thing about being a white supremacist. I betcha he's never even joined a Nazi white supremacist website. Does he know which end of a gun to hold? What a frikkin dolt!

None of that really matters.

As long as he and his administration use those people, as long as he enables and encourages them. As long as his political appointees discourage the apparatus of law enforcement and anti-terrorism from pursuing them then the effect is the same as if he was a full-fledged, card-carrying, passionate, competent, and energized member.

Possibly even worse, because his wishy-washy, half-assed attempts at refusal to be obvious gives a pitiful sort of deniability.

And that is exactly what is happening.
__________________
"A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th August 2019, 03:09 AM   #16
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing
 
Captain_Swoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 22,240
Trump Retweeted

Team Trump
@TeamTrump

From Daily Mail:NH fire marshal: @realDonaldTrump DID smash Elton John’s arena attendance record

MUST WATCH:
Massive overflow crowd outside of @realDonaldTrump's rally in New Hampshire chants "Four More Years!" & "USA!" while watching the president speak.
For the HATERS, "overflow" is the area outside a packed arena where people who can't get in can watch on screens!
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th August 2019, 03:14 AM   #17
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing
 
Captain_Swoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 22,240
Trump Tweets

The Fake News Media HATES to see this!

Corey R. Lewandowski
@CLewandowski_
Fire marshal says Donald Trump DID smash Elton John's attendance record at New Hampshire arena https://dailymail.co.uk/news/article...ire-arena.html
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th August 2019, 03:19 AM   #18
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing
 
Captain_Swoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 22,240
Trump Retweets

AZTrumplican
@AZTrumplican
We care because the news would have us think he has no support and that Joe Biden is leading in the polls when he can’t even get 96 people to stay awake at his rally.

Add your name
@JTP236
It was a GREAT rally!! The energy Trump brought was ELECTRIC! Felt like i was at a Beatles concert!! Love my President! Keep it up 45!

Lori Hendry
@Lrihendry
They are eaten alive by hate for our President & his voters!
They care more about illegal immigrants than they do for American citizens!
Look no further than CA re-directing money away from US citizens to illegal immigrants.
Thank you for putting America 1st Mr. President

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 18th August 2019 at 03:21 AM.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th August 2019, 03:21 AM   #19
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing
 
Captain_Swoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 22,240
Trump Retweets

Dan Bongino
@dbongino
Everywhere the group ANTIFA (Anti-First Amendment) goes, violence and chaos follows. This is a violent, anti-civil liberties, group of thugs looking to hurt and injure anyone in their way.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th August 2019, 03:23 AM   #20
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing
 
Captain_Swoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 22,240
Trump Tweets

Such a disgrace at the once great @nytimes!


Sharyl Attkisson
@SharylAttkisson
The takeaway? The NYT says it is mapping out a narrative in advance of any naturally-occurring, true news events, and plans to shape all natural-occurring, true news events so that they are reported in the context of racism. This is what they believe their readers want. https://twitter.com/SaraCarterDC/sta...44323712802817
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th August 2019, 03:28 AM   #21
Norman Alexander
Philosopher
 
Norman Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 6,186
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Retweeted

Team Trump
@TeamTrump

From Daily Mail:NH fire marshal: @realDonaldTrump DID smash Elton John’s arena attendance record

MUST WATCH:
Massive overflow crowd outside of @realDonaldTrump's rally in New Hampshire chants "Four More Years!" & "USA!" while watching the president speak.
For the HATERS, "overflow" is the area outside a packed arena where people who can't get in can watch on screens!
Plenty of empty seats. And Elton's attendance figure was set in 2004.

Also, what's with these references to "HATERS"? You sound a lot like Kellyanne Conjob, not a US president, Donny.
__________________
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th August 2019, 03:56 AM   #22
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian
 
GlennB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arcadia, Greece
Posts: 25,372
Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Plenty of empty seats. And Elton's attendance figure was set in 2004.
I think this is the correct rally
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trump rally.jpg (53.2 KB, 38 views)
__________________
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day. 9/11 truth is a clock with no hands." - Beachnut
GlennB is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th August 2019, 04:23 AM   #23
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning
 
a_unique_person's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Waiting for the pod bay door to open.
Posts: 41,025
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Retweets

AZTrumplican
@AZTrumplican
We care because the news would have us think he has no support and that Joe Biden is leading in the polls when he can’t even get 96 people to stay awake at his rally.

Add your name
@JTP236
It was a GREAT rally!! The energy Trump brought was ELECTRIC! Felt like i was at a Beatles concert!! Love my President! Keep it up 45!

Lori Hendry
@Lrihendry
They are eaten alive by hate for our President & his voters!
They care more about illegal immigrants than they do for American citizens!
Look no further than CA re-directing money away from US citizens to illegal immigrants.
Thank you for putting America 1st Mr. President
Russian bots have been busy today.
__________________
Continually pushing the boundaries of mediocrity.
Everything is possible, but not everything is probable.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th August 2019, 04:25 AM   #24
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing
 
Captain_Swoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 22,240
He has retweeted lots of 'best president ever' tweets from random people. He must be feeling insecure today.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th August 2019, 05:45 AM   #25
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing
 
phiwum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 11,888
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Retweeted

Team Trump
@TeamTrump

From Daily Mail:NH fire marshal: @realDonaldTrump DID smash Elton John’s arena attendance record

MUST WATCH:
Massive overflow crowd outside of @realDonaldTrump's rally in New Hampshire chants "Four More Years!" & "USA!" while watching the president speak.
For the HATERS, "overflow" is the area outside a packed arena where people who can't get in can watch on screens!
Not that any of this matters, but concerts don't have overflow. I'd bet that there's never been overflow used at the arena before. Hence, fill the arena to capacity with some in overflow and you'll be the record holder.

For SNHU arena. Ooh.

Anyway, filling an arena is a great indication that Trump is the best president ever, except maybe for Lincoln.
phiwum is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th August 2019, 05:47 AM   #26
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing
 
phiwum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 11,888
Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
I think this is the correct rally
That photo could be in the obstructed view area. Without context, I wouldn't take it too seriously. I would take the fire marshal's claim seriously.
phiwum is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th August 2019, 05:55 AM   #27
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing
 
thaiboxerken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 30,223
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
That photo could be in the obstructed view area. Without context, I wouldn't take it too seriously. I would take the fire marshal's claim seriously.
Capacity would include the obstructed view areas.
__________________
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th August 2019, 06:05 AM   #28
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing
 
phiwum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 11,888
Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Capacity would include the obstructed view areas.
Capacity for a given event surely excludes obstructed view? I could be wrong, but it doesn't matter whether it was full to literal capacity or to usable capacity.

I'm sure that part of the arena couldn't be filled by Elton John or any other performer. Aside from sports events, there's bound to be some unusable seats (ignoring unusual stage setups, I suppose). If no sports events have sold out and if more folks were seated or in overflow than in any other event, then Trump had the biggest turnout ever for that college arena.

In any case, the fire marshal claims (allegedly?) that it was the largest crowd in the arena. He seems to be a guy who would know, more 'n likely, and I will take his word for it until I see reason not to. A photo like that is poor evidence compared to the fire marshal's assessment.
phiwum is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th August 2019, 06:13 AM   #29
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher
 
Beelzebuddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,998
Context: https://twitter.com/eradecic/status/1162794073201229826

It wasn't an obstructed view. It just wasn't filled.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th August 2019, 06:24 AM   #30
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing
 
phiwum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 11,888
Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
Context: https://twitter.com/eradecic/status/1162794073201229826

It wasn't an obstructed view. It just wasn't filled.
Thanks for the context.

This isn't an issue that deserves much thought and consideration. It is the teeniest of Trump's lies, if it's a lie.

But I'll point out that we're left with the testimony of a twitter user I don't know and a photo taken at an unknown time. I can't tell, but there appears to be no one at the podium. My image editor reports no EXIF data to determine the time (given a correctly set time on the camera).

On the other hand, we have the secondhand testimony of the fire marshal. I haven't bothered to look and see whether he said this publicly or not.

I tend to favor the latter, presuming it's being faithfully reported for now. I also tend to think deciding whether this is true or false isn't worth the time I've put into it already. If it's false, I reckon that it will end up on the Post's fact checker site. If it doesn't, then I'll presume it's true.
phiwum is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th August 2019, 06:44 AM   #31
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher
 
Beelzebuddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,998
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Thanks for the context.

This isn't an issue that deserves much thought and consideration. It is the teeniest of Trump's lies, if it's a lie.

But I'll point out that we're left with the testimony of a twitter user I don't know and a photo taken at an unknown time. I can't tell, but there appears to be no one at the podium. My image editor reports no EXIF data to determine the time (given a correctly set time on the camera).

On the other hand, we have the secondhand testimony of the fire marshal. I haven't bothered to look and see whether he said this publicly or not.

I tend to favor the latter, presuming it's being faithfully reported for now. I also tend to think deciding whether this is true or false isn't worth the time I've put into it already. If it's false, I reckon that it will end up on the Post's fact checker site. If it doesn't, then I'll presume it's true.
I think you've already given the topic more consideration that it's worth. Is it a lie? Yes. Every number Trump has ever said so far has been a lie to flatter himself and distract people, who get caught up proving that he's lying about something petty instead of pointing out his bigotry and general incompetence.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th August 2019, 06:48 AM   #32
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing
 
phiwum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 11,888
Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
I think you've already given the topic more consideration that it's worth. Is it a lie? Yes. Every number Trump has ever said so far has been a lie to flatter himself and distract people, who get caught up proving that he's lying about something petty instead of pointing out his bigotry and general incompetence.
That's not reasoning I tend to use.

His past performance indicates that I should not consider his testimony as evidence. It doesn't mean that when he says something involving numbers, I should regard it as false.
phiwum is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th August 2019, 06:52 AM   #33
The Greater Fool
Illuminator
 
The Greater Fool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,038
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Not that any of this matters, but concerts don't have overflow. I'd bet that there's never been overflow used at the arena before. Hence, fill the arena to capacity with some in overflow and you'll be the record holder.

For SNHU arena. Ooh.

Anyway, filling an arena is a great indication that Trump is the best president ever, except maybe for Lincoln.
Another yuge difference: People had to pay for assigned seating for EJ, any idiot could walk in and sit anywhere to see DT.
__________________
- "Who is the greater fool? The fool? Or the one arguing with the fool?" [Various; Uknown]
- "The only way to win is not to play." [Tsig quoting 'War Games']
The Greater Fool is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th August 2019, 06:53 AM   #34
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster
 
The Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Poughkeepsie, NY
Posts: 14,060
Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post

Proud Boys founder Gavin McInnes:
Quote:
“Like Gavin McInnes says, violence isn’t great, but justified violence is amazing.” McInnes has claimed repeatedly that “fighting solves everything”. In a podcast last May, he said: “You’re not a man until you’ve had the crap beaten out of you [and] beaten the crap out of someone.” News link
Strange times.

No, not really an aspect of the times in and of itself. For groups where violence is a way of life, either by choice or a matter of survival, such concepts of 'proving ones mettle' to demonstrate ones manhood or simply ones usefulness to the group would not be uncommon. Even to the point where those beating you, or you are beating, are your own members. What is an aspect of the times are peoples general exposure to such concepts while not being members, related to members or generally directly impacted by such groups.

Heck, given their proclivities it would be strange if such a concept of proving oneself through violence wasn't part of their ethos.
__________________
BRAINZZZZZZZZ
The Man is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th August 2019, 07:09 AM   #35
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker
 
kookbreaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 12,276
Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
Because Portland has about the largest nexus of absolute stone stupid Antifa anywhere in the country* who will play right into the narrative and think themselves heroes for it.

*perhaps tied with Berkeley/Bay Area in general
Well, it seems the Portland Nazi rally fell apart even before it started. Most of the leadership abandoned their demonstrators to their own devices and the rally that was supposed to last five hours didn’t make it an hour, with alt-right groups begging the police for escorts away from the demonstration area (which was limited to just under a bridge).
__________________
www.spectrum-scientifics.com <- My store of science toys, instruments and general fun!

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th August 2019, 07:16 AM   #36
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator
 
Delphic Oracle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 3,548
Looks like some small skirmishes were all that happened. 13 arrests reported. The police were far better prepared to keep the groups away from each other than say, Charlottesville.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th August 2019, 07:31 AM   #37
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher
 
Beelzebuddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,998
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
That's not reasoning I tend to use.

His past performance indicates that I should not consider his testimony as evidence. It doesn't mean that when he says something involving numbers, I should regard it as false.
Suit yourself. I find there's only so many times I'm willing to extend someone the benefit of the doubt. I don't know how many people were there, but I know it wasn't 11.5k. If it were, he'd have said 15.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th August 2019, 07:33 AM   #38
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing
 
newyorkguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NY
Posts: 10,176
Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
...As a local (New York) politician noted this afternoon, "Once again president Trump aligns himself with white Nationalists."

Strange times.
The president of the United States implicitly and publicly defending a really vicious right wing group. And on the 50th anniversary of Woodstock, too. Really strange times.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th August 2019, 07:48 AM   #39
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing
 
Captain_Swoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 22,240
Trump Tweets

The Failing New York Times, in one of the most devastating portrayals of bad journalism in history, got caught by a leaker that they are shifting from their Phony Russian Collusion Narrative (the Mueller Report & his testimony were a total disaster), to a Racism Witch Hunt.....

.....”Journalism” has reached a new low in the history of our Country. It is nothing more than an evil propaganda machine for the Democrat Party. The reporting is so false, biased and evil that it has now become a very sick joke...But the public is aware! #CROOKEDJOURNALISM

With all that this Administration has accomplished, think what my Poll Numbers would be if we had an honest Media, which we do not!

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th August 2019, 07:49 AM   #40
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"
 
jimbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 21,430
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

The Fake News Media HATES to see this!

Corey R. Lewandowski
@CLewandowski_
Fire marshal says Donald Trump DID smash Elton John's attendance record at New Hampshire arena https://dailymail.co.uk/news/article...ire-arena.html
No, nothing wrong with the psychological health of the POTUS if he has the ability to focus on something so utterly unimportant.
__________________
OECD healthcare spending
Expenditure on healthcare
http://www.oecd.org/els/health-systems/health-data.htm
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:24 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.