ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 15th September 2019, 04:47 PM   #2281
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
I saw a very recent CNN interview of Eric Holder today. He has sunk a little in my estimation. Because he recommends to NOT charge Trump after leaving office. Supposedly this would be too damaging to the country. WTF?! Talk about telegraphing the double standard of justice for the rich and powerful vs that for the rest of us. Is a demonstrably criminal President too big and important a national symbol to have to face the consequences of his misfeasance? Well then, talk about a freakin' good gig for the unscrupulous, with that door invitingly wide open under a sign reading, "Criminals Welcome!"

Even the law abiding are becoming desensitized to the harm being done. The banana republic of the US and A is just around the corner, at this rate.
Agreed. If Trump has committed a serious crime such as tax evasion, tax fraud, obstruction of justice, etc. then his having been the POTUS is all the more reason he would need to face justice...if only to confirm that the POTUS is not above the law.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th September 2019, 05:25 PM   #2282
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I saw a very recent CNN interview of Eric Holder today. He has sunk a little in my estimation. Because he recommends to NOT charge Trump after leaving office. Supposedly this would be too damaging to the country. WTF?! Talk about telegraphing the double standard of justice for the rich and powerful vs that for the rest of us. Is a demonstrably criminal President too big and important a national symbol to have to face the consequences of his misfeasance? Well then, talk about a freakin' good gig for the unscrupulous, with that door invitingly wide open under a sign reading, "Criminals Welcome!"

Even the law abiding are becoming desensitized to the harm being done. The banana republic of the US and A is just around the corner, at this rate.
That's why Ford pardoned Nixon. Bugger should have died in prison. So should Trump.
Old 15th September 2019, 05:28 PM   #2283
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Are you a white collar criminal? Have you been running a con game to sucker people out of their hard earned money? Are you looking for a way to hide from the consequences of your crimes? Look no further than the White House! A successful run for the presidency will ensure that you escape criminal indictments for the rest of your life!

White Collar Criminals, Apply Now!!
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th September 2019, 06:18 PM   #2284
MinnesotaBrant
Illuminator

I Soviet Russia America is referred to lovingly as Putin District 2
Old 15th September 2019, 06:38 PM   #2285
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
Are you a white collar criminal? Have you been running a con game to sucker people out of their hard earned money? Are you looking for a way to hide from the consequences of your crimes? Look no further than the White House! A successful run for the presidency will ensure that you escape criminal indictments for the rest of your life!

White Collar Criminals, Apply Now!!
Meh. Most white collar crime seems to have a very short statute of limitations anyway. Otherwise it's just civil litigation where you make sure to abuse the legal system to your advantage.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th September 2019, 06:49 PM   #2286
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Meh. Most white collar crime seems to have a very short statute of limitations anyway. Otherwise it's just civil litigation where you make sure to abuse the legal system to your advantage.

Well, okay then; let's just throw in the towel and make it legal to commit any white collar crime you like as President without fear of prosecution.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th September 2019, 06:55 PM   #2287
a_unique_person

Well, okay then; let's just throw in the towel and make it legal to commit any white collar crime you like as President without fear of prosecution.

Most of Trumps crimes could not be prosecuted anyway. What I am talking about is treating white collar crime with the same severity given to blue collar crime. If it was Trump would have been behind bars years ago.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th September 2019, 07:00 PM   #2288
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
The important additional fact is that he was given the world to use as his front lawn, and will most likely have it until 2014.
If only .....
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th September 2019, 07:34 PM   #2289
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

The Fake News is saying that I am willing to meet with Iran, “No Conditions.” That is an incorrect statement (as usual!).

Here we go again with General Motors and the United Auto Workers. Get together and make a deal!
Haw, haw, haw! Pssst, Donnie! Time to press the Reset button again! That fake news about meeting with Iran with no conditions came from a lefty Hollywood type... guy by the name of Mnuchin!

He does this **** all the time. Bolton, Pompeo, DeVoss, Ross, Mnuchin, Graham,.... anyone, really.... will float some sort of trial balloon that had never occurred to anyone. The press picks it up and after a few days have passed and they determine that the Paducah Bund doesn't like it, he blames Fake News for something that originated with his cohorts.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.

Last edited by Foolmewunz; 15th September 2019 at 07:45 PM.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th September 2019, 07:50 PM   #2290
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Haw, haw, haw! Pssst, Donnie! Time to press the Reset button again! That fake news about meeting with Iran with no conditions came from a lefty Hollywood type... guy by the name of Mnuchin!

He does this **** all the time. Bolton, Pompeo, DeVoss, Ross, Mnuchin, Graham,.... anyone, really.... will float some sort of trial balloon that had never occurred to anyone. The press picks it up and after a few days have passed and they determine that the Paducah Bund doesn't like it, he blames Fake News for something that originated with his cohorts.
Quote:
Shortly after US President Donald Trump tweeted that he had fired his national security adviser John Bolton over very strong policy disagreements, Trump’s top diplomat and treasury chief reiterated that Trump has no preconditions to meet with Iran, but said the United States is not abandoning its maximum pressure campaign.

“The president has made very clear he is prepared to meet with no preconditions,” Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said at a joint press briefing with Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin at the White House Tuesday.

Asked if he could foresee Trump meeting with Iranian President Hassan Rouhani at the UN General Assembly later this month, Pompeo responded, “Sure.”

“The president has made clear he is happy to take a meeting with no preconditions, but we are maintaining the maximum pressure campaign,” Mnuchin said.

Read more: https://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/ori...#ixzz5zeXTHW2Y
https://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/ori...on-ouster.html
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th September 2019, 08:15 PM   #2291
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Most of Trumps crimes could not be prosecuted anyway.

I don't think that's accurate. Money laundering can't be prosecuted? Fraud? Sexual Harassment/Rape? This is news to me.

Quote:
What I am talking about is treating white collar crime with the same severity given to blue collar crime.

You have a funny way of talking about it: You don't mention it at all! At least not until you're called out on it.
Old 15th September 2019, 08:22 PM   #2292
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I don't think that's accurate. Money laundering can't be prosecuted? Fraud? Sexual Harassment/Rape? This is news to me.
I think he was talking about Trump's hair.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th September 2019, 08:46 PM   #2293
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
I think he was talking about Trump's hair.

In many states crimes against nature are prosecutable, too.
Old 15th September 2019, 09:39 PM   #2294
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Its possible that many of Trump's crimes are passed the statute of limitations (such as the accused rape of E. Jean Carroll). Other crimes would most likely result in fines rather than actual jail sentences (such as what happened with Trump University). Still more crimes could be prosecuted (and result in jail time), but the chance of conviction is low.

Fortunately, Trump keeps committing crimes, so even if the statute of limitations runs out on some of them, there will be plenty of others to prosecute.

To me, the big problem is finding a jury that will convict. Almost half of all people are Trump supporters, and even in a Democratic-leaning state like New York, there will still be a few of his supporters in the potential jury pool. All you would need is one of them to give a hung jury. (Sure, we have documents showing Trump taking bribes from foreign governments... but hillary is evil! Deep state! MAGA!)

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th September 2019, 10:02 PM   #2295
a_unique_person

Statute of limitations. Run down the clock and you are free.
Old 16th September 2019, 12:15 AM   #2296
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

“We cannot have what happened to this President happen again.” Joe DiGenova. “It is time for Justice to come barreling in.” @LouDobbsCan you imagine that with everything going on in this World, the Witch Hunt, though on a respirator, is still whimpering along. A disgrace!
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th September 2019, 01:11 AM   #2297
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Holder has always advocated a different standard of justice for the powerful.

https://theintercept.com/2016/07/12/...ed-and-burned/
Quote:
As a Justice Department functionary in 1999, Holder wrote the infamous “collateral consequences” memo, advising prosecutors to take into account economic damage that might result from criminally convicting a major corporation.

In 2013, he unwittingly earned his place in history for telling the Senate Judiciary Committee, “I am concerned that the size of some of these [financial] institutions becomes so large that it does become difficult for us to prosecute them,” which became known as the “Too Big to Jail” theory.
Old 16th September 2019, 01:25 AM   #2298
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

The reason why I see zero issue with hitting Trump with the full force of the Law after his term(s) is because he isn't a member of any political party - he wasn't before he got nominated, he won't be once out of office.
Suing his pants off isn't an attack on your political opponent, and no one who isn't criming as much as Trump will feel threatened by it in the future.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th September 2019, 01:32 AM   #2299
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
A lot of his base really do believe anything remotely MSM is "bunk," on par with the way we view "facts" as reported in chain emails sent to us from our rightwing great aunt.

The fact that the internet was recently filled with super-extreme fake news websites, doing stuff like imitating not just the visual presentation, but urls of real news websites, has made the whole MO maddeningly effective.
Old 16th September 2019, 01:35 AM   #2300
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Suing his pants off isn't an attack on your political opponent, and no one who isn't criming as much as Trump will feel threatened by it in the future.
Well, the whole "cult of personality" aspect has made it where a lot of his base kind of see him as an extension of themselves. He's their avatar or something in their mind, and they really would freak out. I don't know what shape or form the freakout would take, but some of them would totally lose their **** in some form or fashion.
Old 16th September 2019, 01:53 AM   #2301
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
Well, the whole "cult of personality" aspect has made it where a lot of his base kind of see him as an extension of themselves. He's their avatar or something in their mind, and they really would freak out. I don't know what shape or form the freakout would take, but some of them would totally lose their **** in some form or fashion.
the Cult of Trump is much less a sign of how much The Right loves Trump and much more proof of how much it hates the GOP leadership.
Traditional Republicans won't shed a tear for Trump and would rejoice if he takes McConnell down with him.
Old 16th September 2019, 04:12 AM   #2302
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Isn’t censuring an option available to the House?

Wouldn’t that be easier than a guilty verdict on impeachment?

What would happen in that case? Other than annoying President Trump to no end.
Old 16th September 2019, 04:33 AM   #2303
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I think Warren is electable;I think she can come off as a moderate.
Bernie does not have a chance in hell of doing that. He just cannot keep from trying to relive his days as a 1960's radical.
And I would write off Biden so quickly.
That is because she will compromise to get legislation passed while Bernie doesn't care about getting any legislation passed.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th September 2019, 04:39 AM   #2304
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Statute of limitations. Run down the clock and you are free.

You're not free if you keep committing crimes. Like Trump.
Old 16th September 2019, 05:01 AM   #2305
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Its possible that many of Trump's crimes are passed the statute of limitations (such as the accused rape of E. Jean Carroll). Other crimes would most likely result in fines rather than actual jail sentences (such as what happened with Trump University).
There were no criminal investigations on that though, that was all civil and so couldn't result in anything but a fine.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th September 2019, 05:04 AM   #2306
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

You're not free if you keep committing crimes. Like Trump.
...Oh, unless you make it to the White House. Then, according to Eric Holder, you should be completely free of prosecution. And as fair as I can tell you agree with Holder, since you seemed to scoff at my suggestion that it should be otherwise.
Old 16th September 2019, 05:33 AM   #2307
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

House Judiciary has given up on the Mueller Report, sadly for them after two years and $40,000,000 spent - ZERO COLLUSION, ZERO OBSTRUCTION. So they say, OK, lets look at everything else, and all of the deals that “Trump” has done over his lifetime. But it doesn’t....

....work that way. I have a better idea. Look at the Obama Book Deal, or the ridiculous Netflix deal. Then look at all the deals made by the Dems in Congress, the “Congressional Slush Fund,” and lastly the IG Reports. Take a look at them. Those investigations would be over FAST!
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th September 2019, 05:34 AM   #2308
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

The @nytimes. “This week, the Senate passed a milestone in confirming the 150th Federal Judge of Mr. Trump’s Administration to a lifetime appointment, far outstripping Barack Obama’s pace and fulfilling pledges by Mr. Trump and Mr. O’Connell to remake the Federal Judiciary....

.....’These Conservative Judicial appointments will impact our nation for years to come,’ said Lindsey Graham, Republican of South Carolina, who leads the Judiciary Committee and who has been speeding through Trump nominees.” The entire Court System is changing at a record pace!

Because we have done so well with Energy over the last few years (thank you, Mr. President!), we are a net Energy Exporter, & now the Number One Energy Producer in the World. We don’t need Middle Eastern Oil & Gas, & in fact have very few tankers there, but will help our Allies!

Producer prices in China shrank most in 3 years due to China’s big devaluation of their currency, coupled with monetary stimulus. Federal Reserve not watching? Will Fed ever get into the game? Dollar strongest EVER! Really bad for exports. No Inflation...Highest Interest Rates...

...The United States, because of the Federal Reserve, is paying a MUCH higher Interest Rate than other competing countries. They can’t believe how lucky they are that Jay Powell & the Fed don’t have a clue. And now, on top of it all, the Oil hit. Big Interest Rate Drop, Stimulus!

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 16th September 2019 at 05:36 AM.
Old 16th September 2019, 05:37 AM   #2309
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

“The New York Times walks back report on Kavanaugh assault claim.” @foxandfriends The one who is actually being assaulted is Justice Kavanaugh - Assaulted by lies and Fake News! This is all about the LameStream Media working with their partner, the Dems.

“What’s happening to Justice Kavanaugh is a disgrace. This guy is not a good man, he is a great man. He has to go to his church with his family while these terrible reports are being written about him, a disgrace!” Dan Bongino @foxandfriends

Just Out: “Kavanaugh accuser doesn’t recall incident.” @foxandfriends DO YOU BELIEVE WHAT THESE HORRIBLE PEOPLE WILL DO OR SAY. They are looking to destroy, and influence his opinions - but played the game badly. They should be sued!
Old 16th September 2019, 05:44 AM   #2310
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Because they can't do both?
Please read the post you respond to before hitting "submit".

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th September 2019, 05:45 AM   #2311
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
Watching Colbert earlier and Trump referred to his VP as Mike 'Pound', or something close.
I'd call him Mike 'Shilling', myself.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th September 2019, 05:54 AM   #2312
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
I'd go for "Hunt" but I'm childish and annoyed.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th September 2019, 07:23 AM   #2313
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
For me, Trump's disgusting tweets say more about him than anything else. They reveal him to be a loathsome, childish, narcissistic, lying, abhorrent toad of a little man. I can only read so much before I start to feel literally nauseated and depressed. I have disliked many politicians in the past, most notably GWB for his disastrous invasion of Iraq based on a lie. But I loathe Trump so much more than GWB.
I know the feeling. I didnt think it possible but Bush2 made we wistful for Republicans of yore such as Bush1 and Bob Dole. It's weird now finding myself wistful for Bush2.
Old 16th September 2019, 07:27 AM   #2314
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweet for everything

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
· Aug 31, 2014
Saudi Arabia should fight their own wars, which they won't, or pay us an absolute fortune to protect them and their great wealth-$ trillion!
Old 16th September 2019, 07:31 AM   #2315
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweet for everything

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
· Aug 31, 2014
Saudi Arabia should fight their own wars, which they won't, or pay us an absolute fortune to protect them and their great wealth-$ trillion!
Didn't he just announce the US military was "locked and loaded" to fight whoever "the Kingdom" decided we should blame?
Old 16th September 2019, 07:32 AM   #2316
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Nah, that's worth 12 of Pence, although as a verb it's appropriate. But monetarily, it should be farthing, or groat.
Old 16th September 2019, 07:33 AM   #2317
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Didn't he just announce the US military was "locked and loaded" to fight whoever "the Kingdom" decided we should blame?
That tweet was from 2014, when the Kenyan Marxist Muslim Dictator was in office.
Old 16th September 2019, 07:43 AM   #2318
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Nah, that's worth 12 of Pence, although as a verb it's appropriate. But monetarily, it should be farthing, or groat.
Of course a groat is worth sixteen farthings
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th September 2019, 07:45 AM   #2319
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Remember when Iran shot down a drone, saying knowingly that it was in their “airspace” when, in fact, it was nowhere close. They stuck strongly to that story knowing that it was a very big lie. Now they say that they had nothing to do with the attack on Saudi Arabia. We’ll see?
Old 16th September 2019, 07:49 AM   #2320
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

“Democrats would rather talk about gun control than get something done.” Governor John Sununu @FoxNews @BillHemmer The big questions are, will they “move the goalposts” and, is this just a ploy to TAKE YOUR GUNS AWAY? I hope NOT on both counts, but I’ll be able to figure it out!

They failed on the Mueller Report, they failed on Robert Mueller’s testimony, they failed on everything else, so now the Democrats are trying to build a case that I enrich myself by being President. Good idea, except I will, and have always expected to, lose BILLIONS of DOLLARS..

....for the privilege of being your President - and doing the best job that has been done in many decades. I am far beyond somebody paying for a hotel room for the evening, or filling up a gas tank at an airport I do not own. These Radical Left Democrats are CRAZY! Obama Netflix?
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics