IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags us election

Reply
Old 1st June 2023, 07:30 PM   #41
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 30,295
Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
The quote was in the novel; I don't think it was in the movie. The concept was in the movie though. The movie was more of a tongue-in-cheek satire of the fascism and authoritarianism that were played straight in the original novel.
My husband is a Heinlein fan so I'm sure he's read it.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2023, 08:38 PM   #42
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger
 
Orphia Nay's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Posts: 41,936
It looks like it'll just be a battle between Trump and DeSantis.

Of the two, DeSantis is the scarier option, and I'm filled with doom at the prospect of Trump.
__________________
"We stigmatize and send to the margins
people who trigger in us the feelings we want to avoid"
- Melinda Gates, "The Moment of Lift".
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2023, 08:41 PM   #43
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 58,605
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Ah. I never saw "Starship Troopers". I'm not a sci-fi fan.
Let us just say the movie is a LOT different then the novel.
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2023, 08:46 PM   #44
Nosi
Illuminator
 
Nosi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,039
Originally Posted by ToddH View Post
Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
__________________
__________

Hiding from the
Nosi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2023, 11:10 PM   #45
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian
 
The Great Zaganza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 19,888
Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
The quote was in the novel; I don't think it was in the movie. The concept was in the movie though. The movie was more of a tongue-in-cheek satire of the fascism and authoritarianism that were played straight in the original novel.

It was.

They had a number of spectacular recruitment videos in the movie.

They also had a female trooper say she joined because she wanted to have kids, and it was easier to get permission to get some if you've been in the military.
__________________
ďDonít blame me. I voted for Kodos.Ē
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2023, 11:21 PM   #46
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 23,587
Originally Posted by ToddH View Post
Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Nice movie reference anyway!
__________________
What is Woke? It is a term that means "awakened to the needs of others". It means to be well-informed, thoughtful, compassionate, humble and kind. Woke people are keen to make the world a better, fairer place for everyone, But, unfortunately, it has also become a pejorative used by racists, homophobes and misogynists on the political right, to describe people who possess a fully functional moral compass.

Last edited by smartcooky; 1st June 2023 at 11:22 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2023, 11:37 PM   #47
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing
 
Norman Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Dharug & Gundungurra
Posts: 14,963
Originally Posted by Stacyhs
Originally Posted by ToddH View Post
Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Not necessarily. There are other requirements including:

Quote:
"Demonstrate that if separated from service, you were separated under honorable conditions;
Be a lawful permanent resident at the time of your naturalization interview;
Meet certain residence and physical presence requirements;
Demonstrate the ability to read, write and speak English, unless qualified for a waiver or exception;
Demonstrate knowledge of U.S. history and government, unless excepted;
Demonstrate good moral character for at least five years before filing your N-400 through the day you naturalize; and
Demonstrate an attachment to the principles of the U.S. Constitution and be well disposed to the good order and happiness of the United States during all relevant periods under the law, unless waived."
I suspect a whole bunch of Republicans would get deported if these tests were applied to them, particularly the highlighted bits. And VERY especially the "speak and read English" part.*


* I'm not saying that they have second languages. I'm saying they are barely competent with the one-and-only language they do have.
__________________
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 12:38 AM   #48
Gulliver Foyle
Graduate Poster
 
Gulliver Foyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Cork baaaiii
Posts: 1,691
Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
It's only the first of June, 2023; and there are already a multiplicity of candidates? Can we match the craziness of 2015/16?
Probably not, except for the craziness of the likely nominee.

Anyhow, best I (or USA Today) can tell, we've already got these candidates:
Donald Trump
Ron DeSantis
Larry Elder (who?)
Nikki Haley
Asa Hutchinson
Vivek Ramaswamy
Tim Scott
Chris Christie (probably)
Mike Pence (probably)

Trump is the probable nominee. If not, he'll continue running against the actual nominee, ensuring a Biden victory, which Trump will blame on the Republican nominee.
Otherwise:
DeSantis is the only realistic option for today's Christo-fascist Republican party. Since he'd be both more evil and more competent than Trump, very scary to me.
Larry Elder is unknown and black. No chance.
Nikki Haley is female and non-white. Though she does her best to look white. Possible Veep selection.
Asa Hutchinson is an unknown nonentity. That works for Dems (think Carter and Clinton) but not R's.
Vivek Ramaswamy: Unknown, funny name, probably a terrorist.
Tim Scott: Black. Competent. Not ever going to be nominated by the R's.
Fat Chris Christie: Did every thing he could to secure Trump's VP nomination four years ago, including carrying Trump's luggage. Running for Veep again.
Mike Pence: Small change. No Democrat and 95% of Republicans would never vote for him.

Your thoughts?
Nikki Haley's attempts to be white skinned probably have little to do with western racism.
__________________
Ceterum autem censeo Factio Republicanus esse delendam
Gulliver Foyle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 01:34 AM   #49
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"
Moderator
 
jimbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 30,043
Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
I suspect a whole bunch of Republicans would get deported if these tests were applied to them, particularly the highlighted bits. And VERY especially the "speak and read English" part.*


* I'm not saying that they have second languages. I'm saying they are barely competent with the one-and-only language they do have.
I'm trying to popularize the word, which I think I came up with, "demiglot" or should it be "hemiglot"?
__________________
OECD healthcare spending
Public/Compulsory Expenditure on healthcare
https://data.oecd.org/chart/60Tt

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 01:35 AM   #50
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing
 
Norman Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Dharug & Gundungurra
Posts: 14,963
Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
I'm trying to popularize the word, which I think I came up with, "demiglot" or should it be "hemiglot"?
__________________
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 05:04 AM   #51
Frank Newgent
Philosopher
 
Frank Newgent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 7,074
Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
It's only the first of June, 2023; and there are already a multiplicity of candidates? Can we match the craziness of 2015/16?
Probably not, except for the craziness of the likely nominee.

Anyhow, best I (or USA Today) can tell, we've already got these candidates:
Donald Trump
Ron DeSantis
Larry Elder (who?)
Nikki Haley
Asa Hutchinson
Vivek Ramaswamy
Tim Scott
Chris Christie (probably)
Mike Pence (probably)

Trump is the probable nominee. If not, he'll continue running against the actual nominee, ensuring a Biden victory, which Trump will blame on the Republican nominee.
Otherwise:
DeSantis is the only realistic option for today's Christo-fascist Republican party. Since he'd be both more evil and more competent than Trump, very scary to me.
Larry Elder is unknown and black. No chance.
Nikki Haley is female and non-white. Though she does her best to look white. Possible Veep selection.
Asa Hutchinson is an unknown nonentity. That works for Dems (think Carter and Clinton) but not R's.
Vivek Ramaswamy: Unknown, funny name, probably a terrorist.
Tim Scott: Black. Competent. Not ever going to be nominated by the R's.
Fat Chris Christie: Did every thing he could to secure Trump's VP nomination four years ago, including carrying Trump's luggage. Running for Veep again.
Mike Pence: Small change. No Democrat and 95% of Republicans would never vote for him.

Your thoughts?

Christie will tear, especially, Trump a new one. But DeSantis, too. Doubtful running mate.
__________________
Disturbances of the semantic reactions in connection with faulty education and ignorance must be considered as sub-microscopic colloidal lesions - Alfred O. Korzybski
Frank Newgent is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 05:21 AM   #52
Donal
Philosopher
 
Donal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,628
I've been listening to the Behind the Bastards series on Vince McMahon and going down the YouTube rabbit hole of pro wrestling videos, so I'm thinking now would be a good time for Obama to rejuvenate his career with the ultimate heel turn.
__________________
SuburbanNerd A blog for making tech make sense
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 06:45 PM   #53
ZiprHead
Muse
 
ZiprHead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Sag-Nasty
Posts: 927
Originally Posted by Frank Newgent View Post
Christie will tear, especially, Trump a new one. But DeSantis, too. Doubtful running mate.
DeSantis has gone full on anti-vaxxer.

Inside Ron DeSantisís Plan to Ride Anti-vaxxism to the White House
__________________
When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

IIDB is back, baby!
ZiprHead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:19 PM   #54
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger
 
Orphia Nay's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Posts: 41,936
Quote:
CHICAGO (AP) — The first 2024 Republican presidential debate will be held Aug. 23, the Republican National Committee announced Friday, with a second debate the following night should it be needed.

The RNC also detailed the criteria that will be used for candidates to qualify for the debate stage, including a pledge to support the eventual Republican presidential nominee. That requirement could keep some candidates off the stage, including former President Donald Trump, who hasn’t committed to supporting the nominee if he doesn’t emerge from the primary. Trump also has questioned why he would participate since he holds a commanding lead in GOP primary polls.

The debate will be held in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, which also will be the site of the party’s nominating convention next year. It’s a nod to the importance of the battleground state, which is likely to be key to a presidential victory again in 2024.
https://apnews.com/article/6cc406eb0...f59acb30d71e95
__________________
"We stigmatize and send to the margins
people who trigger in us the feelings we want to avoid"
- Melinda Gates, "The Moment of Lift".
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:55 PM   #55
Venom
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 6,135
Originally Posted by Gulliver Foyle View Post
Nikki Haley's attempts to be white skinned probably have little to do with western racism.
Well funny thing is she's perceived as a generic white by many Americans who don't know her origins.

She's basically accomplished what Bobby Jindal couldn't without trying very hard.

Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:23 PM   #56
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 30,295
Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post


Quote:
Quote:
CHICAGO (AP) ó The first 2024 Republican presidential debate will be held Aug. 23, the Republican National Committee announced Friday, with a second debate the following night should it be needed.

The RNC also detailed the criteria that will be used for candidates to qualify for the debate stage, including a pledge to support the eventual Republican presidential nominee. That requirement could keep some candidates off the stage, including former President Donald Trump, who hasnít committed to supporting the nominee if he doesnít emerge from the primary. Trump also has questioned why he would participate since he holds a commanding lead in GOP primary polls.

The debate will be held in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, which also will be the site of the partyís nominating convention next year. Itís a nod to the importance of the battleground state, which is likely to be key to a presidential victory again in 2024.
https://apnews.com/article/6cc406eb0...f59acb30d71e95

Trump would just say he would and then not honor his word....because he has no honor.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:34 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.