IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 7th September 2023, 06:23 AM   #1
Hercules56
Philosopher

Are you ready for another Trump Presidency?

The polls show Trump and Biden currently neck & neck. This means that Trump could indeed win again.

Lackluster and boring debate and campaign performance by Biden could make this more likely, along with any sudden victories at any of Trump's 4 trials.

So are you ready for another 4 years of Trump?

I am not. I dread it. Will raise my blood pressure and anxiety. Will mean 4 years of policies against the environment, LBGT rights, civil rights, voting rights, fighting climate change, women's rights. More pulling back from international institutions and commitment. Russia will overrun Ukraine.
More battles over a wall and gutting federal agencies.

Sigh...
Old 7th September 2023, 06:26 AM   #2
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

I know one person who is never going to be ready: Donald J Trump. He ****** it up big time the first time round and took the US to the brink of the abyss. Next time round he wants to take the US a couple of steps forward from that...
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2023, 06:41 AM   #3
Hercules56
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
I know one person who is never going to be ready: Donald J Trump. He ****** it up big time the first time round and took the US to the brink of the abyss. Next time round he wants to take the US a couple of steps forward from that...
I forgot to mention he will declare war on the department of Justice. Oy.
Old 7th September 2023, 06:45 AM   #4
PitPat
Philosopher

The thing that scares me about it the most, he could actually win. And in a 2nd term he has nothing to lose without doing whatever he wants.

I thought there was no way he could win in 2016 and guess what?
PitPat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2023, 06:46 AM   #5
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Whether or not you are ready for it now, it's probably prudent to prepare yourself for it should you need to do so.

I know I have a reputation for being a Cassandra but IMO it's almost a certainty that, unless he is dead, President Trump will be the GOP candidate for Presidency (and possibly even if he is dead) which at the very least makes it a toss-up for winning the election.

If Biden is weak and/or unpopular and people don't feel much better off then that tips the scales in President Trump's favour.

Regardless, IMO there will be a generation of GOP Trumpist candidates so if he is unsuccessful in 2024 he, or an acolyte, will likely be successful in 2028 and/or 2032.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2023, 06:47 AM   #6
Hercules56
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Whether or not you are ready for it now, it's probably prudent to prepare yourself for it should you need to do so.

I know I have a reputation for being a Cassandra but IMO it's almost a certainty that, unless he is dead, President Trump will be the GOP candidate for Presidency (and possibly even if he is dead) which at the very least makes it a toss-up for winning the election.

If Biden is weak and/or unpopular and people don't feel much better off then that tips the scales in President Trump's favour.

Regardless, IMO there will be a generation of GOP Trumpist candidates so if he is unsuccessful in 2024 he, or an acolyte, will likely be successful in 2028 and/or 2032.
It didn't even occur to me that if he loses in 2024 he might run again in 2028. God help us.
Old 7th September 2023, 06:49 AM   #7
Hercules56
Philosopher

Originally Posted by PitPat View Post
The thing that scares me about it the most, he could actually win. And in a 2nd term he has nothing to lose without doing whatever he wants.

I thought there was no way he could win in 2016 and guess what?
He barely won in 2016. Jill Stein helped make it possible. And he may very will just barely win again.

Winning by 1,000 votes in OH, MI and PA is still a win
Old 7th September 2023, 06:55 AM   #8
Lurch
Master Poster

I just saw a CNN headline about a new poll showing that most Yankistanis believe Biden's policies made the economy worse. The US is, I'm led to understand, ahead of all other countries in terms of economic recovery, and yet...

I despair for you lot down there. And by extension the rest of us. I'm glad I'm on the back side of my spell on this mortal coil.

And the OP stated "4 years" of chaos. What would lead anyone to suppose that term would expire at the appointed time?
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2023, 07:02 AM   #9
SteveAitch
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
I just saw a CNN headline about a new poll showing that most Yankistanis believe Biden's policies made the economy worse. The US is, I'm led to understand, ahead of all other countries in terms of economic recovery, and yet...

I despair for you lot down there. And by extension the rest of us. I'm glad I'm on the back side of my spell on this mortal coil.

And the OP stated "4 years" of chaos. What would lead anyone to suppose that term would expire at the appointed time?
Maybe time for Canada (and Mexico?) to start wall-building - to keep out all the refugees from the USA...

Some people call me 'strange'. I prefer 'unconventional'. But I'm willing to compromise and accept 'eccentric'...
SteveAitch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2023, 07:10 AM   #10
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hercules56 View Post
It didn't even occur to me that if he loses in 2024 he might run again in 2028. God help us.
He might also run in 2028 if he's successful in 2024.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2023, 07:17 AM   #11
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
A lot of it comes down to sentiment. It doesn't matter how objectively successful the economy is, or how individuals are, it's all down to how they feel. If people feel worse off because they think that prices are higher then regardless of whether things are more affordable, they'll feel worse off.

What makes things even worse is that people have a "baseline" expectation about how much things should cost. In the case of gas (petrol) it may be $2 a gallon so if it's $3 a gallon at the end of Biden's term they will feel that his policies have driven prices up above an acceptable value, even if they were $4 or $5 a gallon when he came into office.

Biden has presided over a period of comparatively high inflation and steady, but not spectacular, economic growth. In the face of a GOP candidate who will promise the moon and the stars then this is somewhat uninspiring. Of course the GOP won't deliver but that's not the point.
Old 7th September 2023, 07:26 AM   #12
Donal
Philosopher

The polls show Trump and Biden currently neck & neck. This means that Trump could indeed win again.

Lackluster and boring debate and campaign performance by Biden could make this more likely, along with any sudden victories at any of Trump's 4 trials.

So are you ready for another 4 years of Trump?

I am not. I dread it. Will raise my blood pressure and anxiety. Will mean 4 years of policies against the environment, LBGT rights, civil rights, voting rights, fighting climate change, women's rights. More pulling back from international institutions and commitment. Russia will overrun Ukraine.
More battles over a wall and gutting federal agencies.

Sigh...
You mean all the "woke" stuff you are constantly chiding about? Perhaps if people like you didn't twist yourselves into pretzels trying top "both sides" everything, people would have some perspective. Spare us the dramatics.
Old 7th September 2023, 07:26 AM   #13
PitPat
Philosopher

As an atheist, god help us all.

Thinking perhaps optimistically that at least one criminal conviction before Election Day would be game over. So get a move on.
PitPat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2023, 07:27 AM   #14
Hercules56
Philosopher

Another thing that could go very wrong for Biden is if his son is on trial during the campaign. This could very well happen.
Old 7th September 2023, 07:29 AM   #15
Hercules56
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
You mean all the "woke" stuff you are constantly chiding about? Perhaps if people like you didn't twist yourselves into pretzels trying top "both sides" everything, people would have some perspective. Spare us the dramatics.
Most of the issues I listed have nothing to do with "woke" politics. Please don't try to change the subject of the thread.
Old 7th September 2023, 07:30 AM   #16
Hercules56
Philosopher

If he wins in 2024 he cannot run in 2028. No state would allow him to be on the ballot. Trump may think the Constitution is garbage but most other people do not.
Old 7th September 2023, 07:39 AM   #17
Donal
Philosopher

Most of the issues I listed have nothing to do with "woke" politics. Please don't try to change the subject of the thread.
It's exactly what you've been about. If you weren't ready for another Trump term, maybe stop trying to bring it about.
Old 7th September 2023, 07:42 AM   #18
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

If he wins in 2024 he cannot run in 2028.
I know, hence the winky emoticon

No state would allow him to be on the ballot. Trump may think the Constitution is garbage but most other people do not.
Then again it could become a way to demonstrate adherence to the cult of Trumpism. I'm not sure that some deep red states wouldn't consider it, possibly citing the principle of states' rights. What better way to demonstrate how loyal you are to Trump than to do something unconstitutional.
Old 7th September 2023, 07:47 AM   #19
Donal
Philosopher

They certainly can't do that It's against the rules! Where's my fainting couch?
Old 7th September 2023, 07:52 AM   #20
SteveAitch
Graduate Poster

Then again it could become a way to demonstrate adherence to the cult of Trumpism. I'm not sure that some deep red states wouldn't consider it, possibly citing the principle of states' rights. What better way to demonstrate how loyal you are to Trump than to do something unconstitutional.
So they send their Electoral College votes in, and they get rejected, reducing the number of Republican EC votes, maybe giving the win to the Dems?

I suspect the brighter Republican controllers would do something to prevent that, maybe behind the scenes...

Some people call me 'strange'. I prefer 'unconventional'. But I'm willing to compromise and accept 'eccentric'...

Last edited by SteveAitch; 7th September 2023 at 07:53 AM.
SteveAitch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2023, 08:07 AM   #21
Donal
Philosopher

How would they get rejected?
Old 7th September 2023, 08:14 AM   #22
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Why would he need to get re-elected?

A win in 2024 is clearly a vote to install the Trump Family as a Hereditary Monarchy.
Old 7th September 2023, 08:20 AM   #23
Hercules56
Philosopher

It's exactly what you've been about. If you weren't ready for another Trump term, maybe stop trying to bring it about.
Not the subject of the thread. Thanks.
Old 7th September 2023, 08:22 AM   #24
Hercules56
Philosopher

They certainly can't do that It's against the rules! Where's my fainting couch?
In what world would the supreme Court allow someone to run for president for a third term?

I see no evidence or indication that the current supreme Court would do something so egregiously unconstitutional and illegal.

I guess it's possible that Trump if he wins next year could appoint more judges that would agree with such a violation of the Constitution but the moon could also be made of cheese.
Old 7th September 2023, 08:29 AM   #25
sir drinks-a-lot
Philosopher

Old 7th September 2023, 08:48 AM   #26
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
"LOL lookit all the libruls all worked about their rights being taken away. It's so entertaining."
Old 7th September 2023, 08:49 AM   #27
Donal
Philosopher

In what world would the supreme Court allow someone to run for president for a third term?
In what world did they stop someone?

Quote:
I see no evidence or indication that the current supreme Court would do something so egregiously unconstitutional and illegal.
I see no evidence it would matter. Just the fact that it gets that far would throw the nation into chaos.

Quote:
I guess it's possible that Trump if he wins next year could appoint more judges that would agree with such a violation of the Constitution but the moon could also be made of cheese.
Ya, it is stupid to imagine the system being so broken and corrupt that it is susceptible to the whims of autocrats and their followers. They would need huge swaths of the country willingly throwing in with said autocrat and building their own reality. I can't imagine that happening..
Old 7th September 2023, 08:50 AM   #28
Donal
Philosopher

Not the subject of the thread. Thanks.
how we got here is absolutely part of it.
Old 7th September 2023, 08:58 AM   #29
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Can we start a single "Nothing to worry about liberals the system will save us even though Trump IS the system at this point" concern trolling thread and be done with it?
Old 7th September 2023, 08:59 AM   #30
Hercules56
Philosopher

In what world did they stop someone?

I see no evidence it would matter. Just the fact that it gets that far would throw the nation into chaos.

Ya, it is stupid to imagine the system being so broken and corrupt that it is susceptible to the whims of autocrats and their followers. They would need huge swaths of the country willingly throwing in with said autocrat and building their own reality. I can't imagine that happening..
Considering the decisions made by the supreme Court during the 2020 election fiasco, and other decisions they made that went again what Trump wanted, I see zero reason to think they would allow him to run for a third term considering the constitutional regulations against this.
Old 7th September 2023, 09:03 AM   #31
Hercules56
Philosopher

Honestly I think the risk of trump winning is too great we need to replace Biden quickly. Either Kamilla or Gavin.
Old 7th September 2023, 09:10 AM   #32
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Considering the decisions made by the supreme Court during the 2020 election fiasco, and other decisions they made that went again what Trump wanted, I see zero reason to think they would allow him to run for a third term considering the constitutional regulations against this.
Again "But the don't just blindly do what he wants ALL the time" isn't an argument.

We got told Roe Vs Wade was settled as well.

You sure seem to want to set it so Trump will take over for someone who swears up and down they don't want Trump to take over.
Old 7th September 2023, 09:13 AM   #33
Hercules56
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Again "But the don't just blindly do what he wants ALL the time" isn't an argument.

We got told Roe Vs Wade was settled as well.

You sure seem to want to set it so Trump will take over for someone who swears up and down they don't want Trump to take over.
No, I want Trump sent to prison for life, and to lose the election.

Meanwhile I agree that overturning Roe was immoral but legally it seems sound. Roe was poorly decided, even RBG acknowledged this.
Old 7th September 2023, 09:29 AM   #34
Hercules56
Philosopher

I am just really worried that at campaign events and at the debates Biden will appear neurologically slow and unsharp. Will appear that he has the beginnings of dementia, while Trump will seem angry and erratic but still sharp mentally. The Democrats really can't afford this I really wish we would pick a new candidate.
Old 7th September 2023, 10:00 AM   #35
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

"Might"??? He'll do everything possible to just remain in office.

Originally Posted by SteveAitch View Post
Maybe time for Canada (and Mexico?) to start wall-building - to keep out all the refugees from the USA...
I swore back in 2015 that if Trump won I'd be moving to the other side of the Strait of Juan de Fuca. I should have followed through with that.
Old 7th September 2023, 10:06 AM   #36
lobosrul5
Philosopher

A lot of it comes down to sentiment. It doesn't matter how objectively successful the economy is, or how individuals are, it's all down to how they feel. If people feel worse off because they think that prices are higher then regardless of whether things are more affordable, they'll feel worse off.

What makes things even worse is that people have a "baseline" expectation about how much things should cost. In the case of gas (petrol) it may be $2 a gallon so if it's $3 a gallon at the end of Biden's term they will feel that his policies have driven prices up above an acceptable value, even if they were $4 or $5 a gallon when he came into office.

Biden has presided over a period of comparatively high inflation and steady, but not spectacular, economic growth. In the face of a GOP candidate who will promise the moon and the stars then this is somewhat uninspiring. Of course the GOP won't deliver but that's not the point.
/CT hat mode on

The Sauds are doing everything they can to raise oil prices so Trump will be re-elected. $5/gl national average on Election Day and Trump will win. Even if he's sitting in a George state pen. The average American is that shortsighted and misinformed.

/CT hat mode off

Lol just kidding I do actually believe it.

Last edited by lobosrul5; 7th September 2023 at 10:08 AM.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2023, 11:00 AM   #37
Donal
Philosopher

Are you saying it is settled law?
Old 7th September 2023, 11:03 AM   #38
Hercules56
Philosopher

Are you saying it is settled law?
I do not believe the question of whether we have a Constitutional right to make medical decisions without interference from govt, is settled. I simply believe that the reasoning made in Roe was a major fail.
Old 7th September 2023, 11:03 AM   #39
Donal
Philosopher

I am just really worried that at campaign events and at the debates Biden will appear neurologically slow and unsharp. Will appear that he has the beginnings of dementia, while Trump will seem angry and erratic but still sharp mentally. The Democrats really can't afford this I really wish we would pick a new candidate.
There we go. Keep paving the way for Trump. Yes, Trump's lunatic ramblings, slurred speech, and trailing off in midsentence make him look "sharp". Both sides are the same.
Old 7th September 2023, 11:06 AM   #40
Hercules56
Philosopher

There we go. Keep paving the way for Trump. Yes, Trump's lunatic ramblings, slurred speech, and trailing off in midsentence make him look "sharp". Both sides are the same.
It is my personal opinion that Biden appears to be less neurologically sharp than Trump. You are of course free to disagree. But it seems a lot of people out there believe Biden is too old to be president.

However I also do believe that Biden's political and social views are much better for this country and he would still make a much better president, regardless of his neurological and cognitive failures. I can look beyond these things but I fear a lot of Americans will not be able to.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics