IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 2nd March 2024, 05:27 PM   #1
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

A thread for discussing VP picks

Originally Posted by PitPat View Post
It was a safe choice for Biden at the time. Now he's kind of beholden to her for a second term.

She's not a Cheney or even Biden with the experience in DC. This really seem like a Veep situation. There is no doubt about that. Obama did it pretty quickly, but I don't think Harris is even close to Obama.

More importantly, who will be Trump's pick?
Whoever survives his enema flush.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2024, 05:29 PM   #2
gabeygoat
Graduate Poster

I still think it will be Tim Scott.
Old 2nd March 2024, 05:40 PM   #3
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by gabeygoat View Post
Well, he is obsequious enough to please Donnie and Black enough for him to say, "See? Here's my African-American. I'm really not racist!"
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2024, 05:44 PM   #4
PitPat
Philosopher

Yeah that would be great if they weren't both well above the average rates of death for white men.
PitPat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2024, 04:25 AM   #5
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by gabeygoat View Post
He has shown an extreme willingness to drop to his knees and kiss whatever Trump presents to him.
Old 3rd March 2024, 09:58 PM   #6
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Well, he is obsequious enough to please Donnie and Black enough for him to say, "See? Here's my African-American. I'm really not racist!"
Risky, could piss off the base and Trump needs every one of those base votes.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2024, 02:18 AM   #7
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Risky, could piss off the base and Trump needs every one of those base votes.
I'm not sure that anything can shift the base - they're all in.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2024, 07:39 AM   #8
ahhell
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
I'm not sure that anything can shift the base - they're all in.
Depends on what mean by base. His base isn't exactly the same as the GOP base. Halley has shown that something like 30% of GOP primary vote would rather vote for someone else. The only questions is rather they'd rather vote for Dem or Trump. the slightly more than 60% of the GOP primary voters will vote for Trump if he was in jail and being treated for late stage pancreatic cancer. There rest of the GOP might as likely stay home for vote dem or vote third party. He needs the 30% to show up in November, they might not.

Then there's the thing that a lot more voter's will show up in November than for the primaries. Hard to say where they will go, they mostly don't pay as much attention as the primary voters and are much less committed to the party and I assume Trump. I suspect fewer people that only vote in the generals but reliably vote for one party or the other will vote this time around. In the old days it was assumed that benefits republicans(used to be that Republicans hoped for bad weather on voting days), I don't think that holds anymore. I'm also not sure if they should be considered part of the base or not.

But what you say about his base is true in one way, it means his VP pick just doesn't matter. It won't gain or lose him a single vote, there is a realistic chance that that person will be the next POTUS after him though.

Last edited by ahhell; 4th March 2024 at 07:45 AM.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics