IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags us election

Old 1st June 2023, 07:30 PM   #41
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
The quote was in the novel; I don't think it was in the movie. The concept was in the movie though. The movie was more of a tongue-in-cheek satire of the fascism and authoritarianism that were played straight in the original novel.
My husband is a Heinlein fan so I'm sure he's read it.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2023, 08:38 PM   #42
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
It looks like it'll just be a battle between Trump and DeSantis.

Of the two, DeSantis is the scarier option, and I'm filled with doom at the prospect of Trump.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2023, 08:41 PM   #43
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Ah. I never saw "Starship Troopers". I'm not a sci-fi fan.
Let us just say the movie is a LOT different then the novel.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2023, 08:46 PM   #44
Nosi
Illuminator

Originally Posted by ToddH View Post
Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?

Hiding from the
Nosi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2023, 11:10 PM   #45
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

The quote was in the novel; I don't think it was in the movie. The concept was in the movie though. The movie was more of a tongue-in-cheek satire of the fascism and authoritarianism that were played straight in the original novel.

It was.

They had a number of spectacular recruitment videos in the movie.

They also had a female trooper say she joined because she wanted to have kids, and it was easier to get permission to get some if you've been in the military.
Old 1st June 2023, 11:21 PM   #46
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Nice movie reference anyway!

Its TRE45ON season... convict the F45CIST!!

Last edited by smartcooky; 1st June 2023 at 11:22 PM.
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2023, 11:37 PM   #47
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs
Not necessarily. There are other requirements including:

Quote:
"Demonstrate that if separated from service, you were separated under honorable conditions;
Be a lawful permanent resident at the time of your naturalization interview;
Meet certain residence and physical presence requirements;
Demonstrate the ability to read, write and speak English, unless qualified for a waiver or exception;
Demonstrate knowledge of U.S. history and government, unless excepted;
Demonstrate good moral character for at least five years before filing your N-400 through the day you naturalize; and
Demonstrate an attachment to the principles of the U.S. Constitution and be well disposed to the good order and happiness of the United States during all relevant periods under the law, unless waived."
I suspect a whole bunch of Republicans would get deported if these tests were applied to them, particularly the highlighted bits. And VERY especially the "speak and read English" part.*

* I'm not saying that they have second languages. I'm saying they are barely competent with the one-and-only language they do have.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2023, 12:38 AM   #48
Gulliver Foyle
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
It's only the first of June, 2023; and there are already a multiplicity of candidates? Can we match the craziness of 2015/16?
Probably not, except for the craziness of the likely nominee.

Anyhow, best I (or USA Today) can tell, we've already got these candidates:
Donald Trump
Ron DeSantis
Larry Elder (who?)
Nikki Haley
Asa Hutchinson
Vivek Ramaswamy
Tim Scott
Chris Christie (probably)
Mike Pence (probably)

Trump is the probable nominee. If not, he'll continue running against the actual nominee, ensuring a Biden victory, which Trump will blame on the Republican nominee.
Otherwise:
DeSantis is the only realistic option for today's Christo-fascist Republican party. Since he'd be both more evil and more competent than Trump, very scary to me.
Larry Elder is unknown and black. No chance.
Nikki Haley is female and non-white. Though she does her best to look white. Possible Veep selection.
Asa Hutchinson is an unknown nonentity. That works for Dems (think Carter and Clinton) but not R's.
Vivek Ramaswamy: Unknown, funny name, probably a terrorist.
Tim Scott: Black. Competent. Not ever going to be nominated by the R's.
Fat Chris Christie: Did every thing he could to secure Trump's VP nomination four years ago, including carrying Trump's luggage. Running for Veep again.
Mike Pence: Small change. No Democrat and 95% of Republicans would never vote for him.

Your thoughts?
Nikki Haley's attempts to be white skinned probably have little to do with western racism.
Old 2nd June 2023, 01:34 AM   #49
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
I suspect a whole bunch of Republicans would get deported if these tests were applied to them, particularly the highlighted bits. And VERY especially the "speak and read English" part.*

* I'm not saying that they have second languages. I'm saying they are barely competent with the one-and-only language they do have.
I'm trying to popularize the word, which I think I came up with, "demiglot" or should it be "hemiglot"?

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2023, 01:35 AM   #50
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
I'm trying to popularize the word, which I think I came up with, "demiglot" or should it be "hemiglot"?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2023, 05:04 AM   #51
Frank Newgent
Philosopher

It's only the first of June, 2023; and there are already a multiplicity of candidates? Can we match the craziness of 2015/16?
Probably not, except for the craziness of the likely nominee.

Anyhow, best I (or USA Today) can tell, we've already got these candidates:
Donald Trump
Ron DeSantis
Larry Elder (who?)
Nikki Haley
Asa Hutchinson
Vivek Ramaswamy
Tim Scott
Chris Christie (probably)
Mike Pence (probably)

Trump is the probable nominee. If not, he'll continue running against the actual nominee, ensuring a Biden victory, which Trump will blame on the Republican nominee.
Otherwise:
DeSantis is the only realistic option for today's Christo-fascist Republican party. Since he'd be both more evil and more competent than Trump, very scary to me.
Larry Elder is unknown and black. No chance.
Nikki Haley is female and non-white. Though she does her best to look white. Possible Veep selection.
Asa Hutchinson is an unknown nonentity. That works for Dems (think Carter and Clinton) but not R's.
Vivek Ramaswamy: Unknown, funny name, probably a terrorist.
Tim Scott: Black. Competent. Not ever going to be nominated by the R's.
Fat Chris Christie: Did every thing he could to secure Trump's VP nomination four years ago, including carrying Trump's luggage. Running for Veep again.
Mike Pence: Small change. No Democrat and 95% of Republicans would never vote for him.

Your thoughts?

Christie will tear, especially, Trump a new one. But DeSantis, too. Doubtful running mate.
Old 2nd June 2023, 05:21 AM   #52
Donal
Philosopher

I've been listening to the Behind the Bastards series on Vince McMahon and going down the YouTube rabbit hole of pro wrestling videos, so I'm thinking now would be a good time for Obama to rejuvenate his career with the ultimate heel turn.
Old 2nd June 2023, 06:45 PM   #53
ZiprHead
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Frank Newgent View Post
Christie will tear, especially, Trump a new one. But DeSantis, too. Doubtful running mate.
DeSantis has gone full on anti-vaxxer.

Inside Ron DeSantis’s Plan to Ride Anti-vaxxism to the White House

IIDB is back, baby!
ZiprHead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2023, 09:19 PM   #54
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Quote:
CHICAGO (AP) — The first 2024 Republican presidential debate will be held Aug. 23, the Republican National Committee announced Friday, with a second debate the following night should it be needed.

The RNC also detailed the criteria that will be used for candidates to qualify for the debate stage, including a pledge to support the eventual Republican presidential nominee. That requirement could keep some candidates off the stage, including former President Donald Trump, who hasn’t committed to supporting the nominee if he doesn’t emerge from the primary. Trump also has questioned why he would participate since he holds a commanding lead in GOP primary polls.

The debate will be held in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, which also will be the site of the party’s nominating convention next year. It’s a nod to the importance of the battleground state, which is likely to be key to a presidential victory again in 2024.
https://apnews.com/article/6cc406eb0...f59acb30d71e95
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2023, 09:55 PM   #55
Venom
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Gulliver Foyle View Post
Nikki Haley's attempts to be white skinned probably have little to do with western racism.
Well funny thing is she's perceived as a generic white by many Americans who don't know her origins.

She's basically accomplished what Bobby Jindal couldn't without trying very hard.

Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2023, 11:23 PM   #56
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post

Quote:
Quote:
CHICAGO (AP) — The first 2024 Republican presidential debate will be held Aug. 23, the Republican National Committee announced Friday, with a second debate the following night should it be needed.

The RNC also detailed the criteria that will be used for candidates to qualify for the debate stage, including a pledge to support the eventual Republican presidential nominee. That requirement could keep some candidates off the stage, including former President Donald Trump, who hasn’t committed to supporting the nominee if he doesn’t emerge from the primary. Trump also has questioned why he would participate since he holds a commanding lead in GOP primary polls.

The debate will be held in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, which also will be the site of the party’s nominating convention next year. It’s a nod to the importance of the battleground state, which is likely to be key to a presidential victory again in 2024.
https://apnews.com/article/6cc406eb0...f59acb30d71e95

Trump would just say he would and then not honor his word....because he has no honor.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2023, 11:22 PM   #57
Gulliver Foyle
Illuminator

I see Mike Pence is joining the bun fight for republican nomination. Well, at leas he has lots of flair.
Old 5th June 2023, 11:26 PM   #58
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

I see Mike Pence is joining the bun fight for republican nomination. Well, at leas he has lots of flair.
What the heck are all those badges? He looks like a souvenir stand!
Old 5th June 2023, 11:32 PM   #59
Gulliver Foyle
Illuminator

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 6th June 2023, 04:08 AM   #60
angrysoba
Philosophile

So Mike Pence has announced his run for president. I don't think this is a good look for his evangelical base...

Old 6th June 2023, 04:27 AM   #61
Armitage72
Philosopher

He reminds me of Captain Amazing from "Mystery Men".

Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2023, 07:27 AM   #62
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Frank Newgent View Post
Christie will tear, especially, Trump a new one.
Cristie... "I supported Trump for years, and even tried to help him get re-elected after he called Neonazis fine people and attempted to blackmail a foreign government into interfering in the election. But I'm going to tell you NOW how unfit Trump is for office"

I'm Mary Poppins Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2023, 10:35 AM   #63
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I downloaded the picture so I could blow it up and look, but the resolution wasn't sufficient to tell much. I do see a "POW/MIA" badge and I think "We support our troops". And one says "Army National Guard".
Old 6th June 2023, 10:36 AM   #64
lobosrul5
Philosopher

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
So Mike Pence has announced his run for president. I don't think this is a good look for his evangelical base...

https://i.guim.co.uk/img/media/c9b10...5&dpr=1&s=none
The evangelicals supported a guy who has been divorced twice, admits to extramarital affairs, and was at one point publicly pro-choice. I don't think they'll bat an eye because their candidate is wearing leathers.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2023, 10:52 AM   #65
Gulliver Foyle
Illuminator

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post

https://i.guim.co.uk/img/media/c9b10...5&dpr=1&s=none
At least he's over the minimum 17 pieces of flair.
Old 6th June 2023, 11:06 AM   #66
lobosrul5
Philosopher

At least he's over the minimum 17 pieces of flair.
Office Space reference yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2023, 11:23 AM   #67
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Re: Starship Troopers phrase "Service guarantees Citizenship. Would you like to know more?...
The quote was most definitely in the movie. (In one of their "fake" commercials / Propaganda pieces)

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

I'm Mary Poppins Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2023, 12:14 PM   #68
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Chris Christie just officially threw his hat in, for whatever differences anyone thinks that makes.
Old 6th June 2023, 01:37 PM   #69
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

I downloaded the picture so I could blow it up and look, but the resolution wasn't sufficient to tell much. I do see a "POW/MIA" badge and I think "We support our troops". And one says "Army National Guard".
Yeah, fuzzy. And too regularly arranged to be "flair". Bottom-left blue and yellow says "Indiana". There's a couple of flag ones. One I thought looked like Australia, but is probably two flags together. And some colourless try-hard in an ill-fitting leather jerkin.
Old 6th June 2023, 01:41 PM   #70
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Cristie... "I supported Trump for years, and even tried to help him get re-elected after he called Neonazis fine people and attempted to blackmail a foreign government into interfering in the election. But I'm going to tell you NOW how unfit Trump is for office"
Ted? Ted Cruz...is that you?
Old 6th June 2023, 02:19 PM   #71
lobosrul5
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Chris Christie just officially threw his hat in, for whatever differences anyone thinks that makes.
He's trying to stay relevant so cable news channels will hire him on.
Old 6th June 2023, 02:35 PM   #72
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Yeah, fuzzy. And too regularly arranged to be "flair". Bottom-left blue and yellow says "Indiana". There's a couple of flag ones. One I thought looked like Australia, but is probably two flags together. And some colourless try-hard in an ill-fitting leather jerkin.
I counted at least five POW/MIA patches and pins just on the front, as noted "Army National Guard", "We support our troops" (with yellow embordered ribbon), A just Blue Ribbon to show support for child abuse and prevention. An "Indiana" patch with the state torch banner symbol.

One is just so dark it almost looks like it's blacked out. Must be his 99.99999... percenter patch.
Old 6th June 2023, 03:16 PM   #73
lobosrul5
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Man View Post
I counted at least five POW/MIA patches and pins just on the front, as noted "Army National Guard", "We support our troops" (with yellow embordered ribbon), A just Blue Ribbon to show support for child abuse and prevention. An "Indiana" patch with the state torch banner symbol.

One is just so dark it almost looks like it's blacked out. Must be his 99.99999... percenter patch.
Nah, Pence is totally a 1%'er.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outlaw_motorcycle_club
Old 6th June 2023, 03:23 PM   #74
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
The evangelicals supported a guy who has been divorced twice, admits to extramarital affairs, and was at one point publicly pro-choice. I don't think they'll bat an eye because their candidate is wearing leathers.
2015 just called. They want their naive belief that conservative voters have any sense of shame back. No, the reason why I think it won’t be a good look for the conservatives in the evangelical base is because he looks like he’s just stepped out of a gay club from the 1970s.
Old 6th June 2023, 03:38 PM   #75
grunion
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
A piece in today's NY Times has Christie and his 15% favorability rating solely focused on taking out Trump. Maybe he can rally the other also-rans to pile on if there is to be any movement of the needle. I don't think the insult-nickname shtick will work as well this round. But WTF do I know.

Last edited by grunion; 6th June 2023 at 03:40 PM.
grunion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2023, 03:58 PM   #76
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

This should make the Progressives happy:
Quote:
Scholar and progressive activist Cornel West announced Monday he is running for president next year as a third-party candidate, saying he wants to empower people who have been “pushed to the margins.”

In a Twitter video, West said he will run as a member of The People’s Party. He criticized both major political parties and their standard bearers, President Joe Biden and former President Donald Trump. Both Biden and Trump are running again in 2024.

“In these bleak times, I have decided to run for truth and justice, which takes the form of running for president of the United States as a candidate for the People’s Party,” West said. “I enter in the quest for truth. I enter in the quest for justice, and the presidency is just one vehicle to pursue that truth and justice, what I’ve been trying to do all of my life.”

West is a well known Black scholar and author and a former professor at Harvard and Princeton universities. He criticized former President Barack Obama as a “war criminal,” and supported Sen. Bernie Sanders of Vermont, a democratic socialist, in his presidential bids in 2016 and 2020.

On his campaign website, West says he wants to end wars, disband NATO, forgive all student debt, expand Social Security and invest in clean energy.
"he wants to end wars, disband NATO,"

Yeah, good luck with that!
Old 6th June 2023, 04:12 PM   #77
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
This should make the Progressives happy:

"he wants to end wars, disband NATO,"

Yeah, good luck with that!
Yeah, split the progressive vote, how scholarly of him.
Old 6th June 2023, 05:13 PM   #78
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Man View Post
Yeah, split the progressive vote, how scholarly of him.
Only if progressives are stupid enough to vote for him knowing he hasn't got a snowball's chance in hell of winning. I'm not ruling out that some of them are that stupid, either.
Old 6th June 2023, 05:28 PM   #79
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Chris Christie called Trump 'a lonely, self-consumed, self-serving mirror hog."

Hmmmm... and he supported him knowing he was 'a lonely, self-consumed, self-serving mirror hog."
Old 6th June 2023, 05:44 PM   #80
ZiprHead
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
Yup, standard old fart biker attire.

IIDB is back, baby!
ZiprHead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics