IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags gun control , shooting incidents

Old 22nd January 2023, 12:31 PM   #2201
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carlosy View Post
Well, from a cold and neutral point of view, it's actually not that big of a deal.
For a country which has roughly 100.000.000 more guns than cars.
About 40.000 death by firearms (homicide + suicide) vs ~45.000 death by car - per year.
Cars are still more deadly. If you want to kill someone, use a car. Better chance of success.

For better results, use a Big Mac. Slower but more...ahem....widespread results.
Old 22nd January 2023, 03:12 PM   #2202
mgidm86
Philosopher

Oh yes, cars are used to murder people every day!

When I came home yesterday my roommates' kids ran out to tell me "Happy New Year". I didn't even know. Their Dad told me it was Lunar New Year, then I understood. I love these kids, they are 6 and 8. They're Vietnamese.

I wonder how they feel today. These people are excellent parents, totally devoted to the kids' education and well being. I really respect and like them a lot. So this made me particularly sad.

I don't know what to make of this shooting yet. Motive? I'll admit I assumed it would be racial which made me more sad for them. It still could be I think, not all Asians are the same you know? There is plenty of hatred. Asian hate crimes have gone way up since the China Vir....I mean Covid. Initially assuming this was racial is understandable.

If people want to kill themselves with Big Macs that is their decision. As a murder weapon they are pretty weak, as are cars really. They got all those cement blocks on sidewalks now so we can't run over pedestrians as easily. Hard to target anyone in particular, ya know? Plus who walks anymore? Just drive down the road and take what you can get with a car.

If you want to kill someone a gun is the best way to go. They're cheaper, don't require any knowledge or license to purchase, and you don't have to buy insurance.

Last edited by mgidm86; 22nd January 2023 at 03:19 PM.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2023, 06:35 PM   #2203
marting
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Ian Osborne View Post
Just listened to the press conference.

Shooter identified. 72 y/o asian male: Huu Tran. He killed himself with a single shot after the police surrounded his van. A lot of time elapsed after that as there was fear the van might be booby trapped.

Weapon was a handgun with extended clip (illegal in Calif)

Sheriff's statement:
https://www.yahoo.com/now/huu-tran-s...012558540.html

Last edited by marting; 22nd January 2023 at 06:52 PM.
marting is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2023, 07:30 PM   #2204
ZiprHead
Muse

Baton Rouge nightclub shooting injures 12

Quote:
Police in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, are searching for at least one suspect involved in a nightclub shooting that left a dozen people injured, according to L’Jean McKneely, Baton Rouge Police Department spokesperson.

Police are categorizing the shooting as a “targeted attack.”

“This was not just a random act of someone showing up and randomly shooting citizens of Baton Rouge,” said Lt. Bryan Ballard, commander of BRPD’s Homicide Division, during a press conference Sunday.

A law enforcement source tells CNN around 1:30 a.m. local time, witnesses at Dior Bar & Lounge said a fight broke out between two groups of customers, and multiple people pulled out guns and started shooting.

Of the 12 people shot, three sustained life-threatening injuries, Lt. Ballard said.

Chief Murphy J. Paul, Jr. praised the immediate response of three officers outside the club at the time of the shooting, saying their response prevented further injury to the other patrons inside.

An Eventbrite listing online indicates the club was hosting a “back to school party” for Southern University and A&M College and Louisiana State University students at the time of the shooting.

IIDB is back, baby!
ZiprHead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2023, 09:26 PM   #2205
Sherkeu
Master Poster

Originally Posted by marting View Post
Just listened to the press conference.

Shooter identified. 72 y/o asian male: Huu Tran. He killed himself with a single shot after the police surrounded his van. A lot of time elapsed after that as there was fear the van might be booby trapped.

Weapon was a handgun with extended clip (illegal in Calif)

Sheriff's statement:
https://www.yahoo.com/now/huu-tran-s...012558540.html

People really dont expect an elder Chinese man, of 72 years, to be a mass shooter. I don't...and I still don't. It's odd, isnt it? For any ethnicity.

And yet, the last mass shooting around these parts (in a Laguna Woods church, May 2022) was a 68-year-old Chinese man.
Is there a gun culture in older Chinese men I am missing?

2 shootings isnt exactly a trend line, but they are the 2 from the last 2 years here.
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2023, 09:42 PM   #2206
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Tran is more likely to be a Vietnamese name than Chinese, although I can't find anything that seems to be reliable to confirm that in this case.
Old 22nd January 2023, 09:44 PM   #2207
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Well, from a cold and neutral point of view, it's actually not that big of a deal.
About 40.000 death by firearms (homicide + suicide) vs ~45.000 death by car - per year.
Cars are still more deadly. If you want to kill someone, use a car. Better chance of success.

Or you could almost halve the total killed per year by controlling guns.

Just sayin'...
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2023, 10:02 PM   #2208
marting
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Sherkeu View Post
People really dont expect an elder Chinese man, of 72 years, to be a mass shooter. I don't...and I still don't. It's odd, isnt it? For any ethnicity.
Small sample anomaly I suppose.

My wife's doctor's spouse was killed at a synagogue shooting here in San Diego on the last day of Passover. The perp was a 19 y/o nursing student w/o any known hate group connections but posted crap on social media and tried to livestream it. He believed Jews were planning some sort of goy genocide.

Sick Sad World.

As an aside, A Jewish doctor friend of my dad made a custom, single shot 22 rifle for my 12th birthday. Apparently it was a tradition back in his old country. He was a refugee from Hitler's Europe. I shot a bird eating grapes in the garden with it and felt completely ill. Last time i ever shot at anything living.

So not just an American thing.

Last edited by marting; 22nd January 2023 at 10:10 PM.
marting is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2023, 10:06 PM   #2209
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by marting View Post
Small sample anomaly I suppose.

My wife's doctor's spouse was killed at a synagogue shooting here in San Diego on the last day of Passover. The perp was a 19 y/o nursing student w/o any known hate group connections but posted crap on social media and tried to livestream it. He believed Jews were planning some sort of goy genocide.

Sick Sad World.
The Goy Agenda?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2023, 10:46 PM   #2210
welshdean
Michael McDonald 1967 - 2021

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Tran is more likely to be a Vietnamese name than Chinese, although I can't find anything that seems to be reliable to confirm that in this case.
Oh great, another reason for the maga dicks to go after Trans.
"In science it often happens that scientists say, "You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken," and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion."
Carl Sagan 1934 - 1996 RIP
welshdean is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2023, 10:47 PM   #2211
Sherkeu
Master Poster

That sounds right. Tan or Tam would be Chinese but not really Tran. Though some Chinese who are Chen changed to Tran- so says the internet.
Who knows? It isnt obvious either way just looking at his photo.

The latest story of it is that the shooting was towards his estranged wife who was supposedly at the (ballroom) dance club for Lunar festival which was up and down that street.
But then.....he went to another club after the first shooting and was caught with the gun on entry by the persons at the door.
72 years old! I believe it, but still think it is so odd.
I guess we'll find out soon enough.

*The Korean/Japanese/Chinese places around my place were really crowded last night- we drove through a "Korea" part of Buena Park expecting to get take away food and felt like we were in another country! (Long lines, so had homemade pizza instead)
I imagine it was extra packed with a crowd up there in a mostly Chinese part of town. (eta: up = 15mi north of us)

Last edited by Sherkeu; 22nd January 2023 at 10:49 PM.
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2023, 11:40 PM   #2212
carlosy
Muse

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Or you could almost halve the total killed per year by controlling guns.

Just sayin'...
But we all know it ain't gonna happen.
And that cat is out of the bag anyway.

The USA had so many horrible mass shootings with little kids, but it didn't change anything substantial. There is almost no room left for any incident which could lead to a change. All the possible bad **** already happened. But enough people still love their guns and gun rights.

The rest will be just noise.

carlosy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2023, 11:54 PM   #2213
erlando
Master Poster

The difference being that cars are actually useful 99.999% of the time. Guns are instruments of death 100% of the time.
Old 23rd January 2023, 12:37 AM   #2214
BrettM
New Blood

If the purpose of guns is to kill things, they are useful about 0.37% of the time (depending on the skill of the shooter).

In reality, guns are fashion accessories that give you bragging rights. That is what makes them actually useful!
BrettM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2023, 12:56 AM   #2215
jeremyp
Master Poster

The fallacy there is assuming it’s the absolute number of firearms that counts. It isn’t: it’s the number of people carrying or driving.
jeremyp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2023, 01:12 PM   #2216
Athyrio
Hipster Doofus

CNN is reporting him as a Chinese immigrant but that doesn’t mean his name is necessarily Chinese. He seems to have assimilated well with the violent culture of the USA.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/23/us/mo...day/index.html
Old 23rd January 2023, 04:13 PM   #2217
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post
The fallacy there is assuming it’s the absolute number of firearms that counts. It isn’t: it’s the number of people carrying or driving.

Next time someone uses the "car analogy" make sure they know that it is an argument against gun ownership:

If cars are just as efficient as guns for killing then we may as well get rid of all the guns right now.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2023, 05:54 PM   #2218
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

But we all know it ain't gonna happen.
And that cat is out of the bag anyway.

The USA had so many horrible mass shootings with little kids, but it didn't change anything substantial. There is almost no room left for any incident which could lead to a change. All the possible bad **** already happened. But enough people still love their guns and gun rights.

The rest will be just noise.

I suspect that a mass shooting event where many rich people are killed, will result in the law being changed...

... Or maybe I'm just really cynical.
Old 23rd January 2023, 06:56 PM   #2219
Sherkeu
Master Poster

7 Dead, 1 Injured Following Separate Shootings in Half Moon Bay (California)

Quote:
Seven people were shot and killed in two separate locations in Half Moon Bay Monday afternoon, according to the San Mateo County Sheriff's Office.The suspect, 67-year-old Half Moon Bay resident Zhao Chunli, was taken into custody at about 4:40 p.m. after he was found in his vehicle in the parking lot of the Half Moon Bay substation.

The victims are Chinese farmworkers, Half Moon Bay Councilmember Debbie Ruddock said.
A motive for the shooting is under investigation.
Not even 24 hours since I asked if there was something about guns and older chinese men.

The three oldest mass shooters on record in the US are now 3 Chinese men, in California, all within the last 9 months. Aged 67, 68, and 72.

Last edited by Sherkeu; 23rd January 2023 at 07:13 PM.
Old 23rd January 2023, 07:17 PM   #2220
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Sherkeu View Post
7 Dead, 1 Injured Following Separate Shootings in Half Moon Bay (California)

Not even 24 hours since I asked if there was something about guns and older chinese men.

The three oldest mass shooters on record in the US are now 3 Chinese men, in California, all within the last 9 months. Aged 67, 68, and 72.
When California succumbs the malaise effecting states like Texas and Florida (as it looks like doing) the US is royally ******.

State laws do not work. There needs to be national leadership. There won’t be.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2023, 07:57 PM   #2221
mgidm86
Philosopher

And more people need to care as well. People are fighting against gun laws so what's the government to do?

I'm surrounded. The Half Moon Bay shooting is just north of me, yesterday's shootings well to the south, same state.

California is way up there in shootings by the way, just check the LA Times daily shootings page.

Garlic festival was few years ago, 15 miles from me. 3 killed, 17 wounded.

Car dealership in Morgan Hill, employee shooting. 3 miles from me.

I need a gun to protect myself from other gun owners, **** the actual criminals! I may be more likely to be shot by some random ******* than someone committing a crime like burglary.

Surely the 2nd amendment must do more good than bad or we wouldn't have it?

The importance of any guaranteed right should be damn easy to explain and far outweigh the consequences of not having it.

Anyone care to try? This is stupidity beyond belief as far as I can tell, where am I wrong?

Last edited by mgidm86; 23rd January 2023 at 07:58 PM.
Old 24th January 2023, 01:00 AM   #2222
jeremyp
Master Poster

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Next time someone uses the "car analogy" make sure they know that it is an argument against gun ownership:

If cars are just as efficient as guns for killing then we may as well get rid of all the guns right now.
It won’t work. Cars are fairly tightly regulated, even in America.
jeremyp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2023, 03:06 AM   #2223
Ian Osborne
JREF Kid
Tagger

Exactly. You have to reach a certain age before you can drive a car. The car has to be serviced and checked regularly, and it needs to be insured. You have to pass a test before you can drive, and your government-issued licence can be revoked at any time if you misbehave with your car. And people bring up the fact that cars kill as an argument against gun regulation.

"The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown." - Carl Sagan
Ian Osborne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2023, 03:19 AM   #2224
dann
Penultimate Amazing

A good guy without a gun: Surveillance footage shows hero confronting suspected gunman (CNN, Jan 24, 2023)

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2023, 04:15 AM   #2225
jeremyp
Master Poster

Exactly. You have to reach a certain age before you can drive a car. The car has to be serviced and checked regularly, and it needs to be insured. You have to pass a test before you can drive, and your government-issued licence can be revoked at any time if you misbehave with your car. And people bring up the fact that cars kill as an argument against gun regulation.
I sometimes wonder what would happen if you made gun owners financially liable for the damage done by their guns. So somebody gets shot with your gun: you are on the hook for the some proportion of the medical expenses - no matter who pulled the trigger. This would mean that gun owners would be effectively required to carry insurance and the cost/availability of that insurance would be determined by how well you secured your gun when not being carried.

You may argue that such a law is unconstitutional, but I don't think it would be any more of an infringement of the second amendment the the libel law is an infringement on the first amendment.
Old 24th January 2023, 09:22 AM   #2226
Ryokan
Insert something funny here

From a cold and neutral point of view, cars are required for civilization as we know it to function. Most of the deaths are accidental, and are seen as acceptable for the function they serve.

Guns (in civillian hands), on the other hand...
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2023, 10:35 AM   #2227
carlosy
Muse

Originally Posted by Ryokan View Post
From a cold and neutral point of view, cars are required for civilization as we know it to function. Most of the deaths are accidental, and are seen as acceptable for the function they serve.

Guns (in civillian hands), on the other hand...
But but... how are you gonna stop the government just with your well-motorized militia?

Oh and imagine society/civilization in the US without guns?
Absolutely dysfunctional.
carlosy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2023, 01:22 PM   #2228
Armitage72
Philosopher

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
I suspect that a mass shooting event where many rich people are killed, will result in the law being changed...

... Or maybe I'm just really cynical.

Kind of like when Republicans and the NRA supported gun control laws in the 1960s when it was Black Panthers carrying them.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2023, 01:40 PM   #2229
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Kind of like when Republicans and the NRA supported gun control laws in the 1960s when it was Black Panthers carrying them.

It's worth noting that the current interpretation of the Constitution to allow a gun in every pocket is relatively recent. For most of our history, there has been no question that firearms, particularly handguns, could be regulated by governments at all levels.

Chief Justice Burger, nobody's idea of a liberal, famously said this:
Quote:
"If I were writing the Bill of Rights now there wouldn’t be any such thing as the Second Amendment, that a well regulated militia being necessary for the defense of the state, that people (have the) right to bear arms. This has been the subject of one of the greatest pieces of fraud, I repeat the word fraud, on the American public by special interest groups that I have ever seen in my life time."

He continues, "Now just look at those words. There are only three lines to that amendment. A well regulated militia. It’s the militia which was going to be the state army, was going to be well regulated. Why shouldn’t 16, 17 or 18 year olds, or any other age persons, be regulated in the use of arms, the way an automobile is regulated? It’s got to be registered. Someone asked me recently if I was for or against a bill which was pending in Congress calling for five days waiting period. I said ‘Yes, I’m very much against it. It should be a 30-day waiting period, ‘till they find out why this person needs a handgun or a machine gun.’"
https://www.berkshireeagle.com/news/...b475cfa5b.html
https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...ndment-106856/
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2023, 06:49 PM   #2230
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

If we wanted to discuss the latest mass shooting in this ******up country, we'd have to continually check our watches

But we don't have a gun problem, do we? Naaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2023, 07:00 PM   #2231
mgidm86
Philosopher

But most guns used in crimes are stolen. Cars are stolen every day.

Same answer. And my point is that it actually is not an argument against regulation at all, they only think it is.

It's stupid either way. There's really nothing left for me to say on this forum about guns that I already haven't. I guess I will try to avoid it from now on. I mean tomorrow is another shooting, same rants.

Last edited by mgidm86; 24th January 2023 at 07:09 PM.
Old 24th January 2023, 07:25 PM   #2232
Sherkeu
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
If we wanted to discuss the latest mass shooting in this ******up country, we'd have to continually check our watches

But we don't have a gun problem, do we? Naaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh.
Technically, there was yet another mass shooting, in California, about an hour after the Half Moon Bay shooter was put in custody. These gang-related ones are just not as widespread in the news, and because it is a gang, the details are often kept to a minimum. The nbc article has the most detail I found.

Oakland police fear deadly music video shooting could fuel more bloodshed

Quote:
Multiple shooters opened fire on dozens of people filming a music video in a deadly Northern California gang attack that Oakland police fear will spark retaliatory bloodshed, authorities said Tuesday.

The latest mass shooting unfolded in the 5900 block of MacArthur Boulevard just after 6 p.m. PT Monday as bullets struck five people, killing 18-year-old Mario Navarro-Navarro, police said.

Between 40 and 50 people were at the scene “where individuals were filming a music video,” acting Oakland Police Chief Darren Allison told reporters.

“While the recording was occurring, gunfire broke out from multiple shooters in various directions," Allison said.
Old 25th January 2023, 12:44 AM   #2233
jeremyp
Master Poster

But most guns used in crimes are stolen. Cars are stolen every day.

Same answer. And my point is that it actually is not an argument against regulation at all, they only think it is.

It's stupid either way. There's really nothing left for me to say on this forum about guns that I already haven't. I guess I will try to avoid it from now on. I mean tomorrow is another shooting, same rants.
If guns were properly regulated, fewer of them would be stolen.
Old 25th January 2023, 04:24 AM   #2234
Lurch
Master Poster

US society has quite deliberately designed for itself a self perpetuating system of gun proliferation. It only required a critical mass of killing tools to be introduced as the catalyst. With the 'criminal set' now having such easy access, the 'law abiding set' must have even more unfettered access as a counterweight. More guns to steal, more needed by the good guys. And so goes the spiraling arms race, resulting in such lunacy being considered or proposed as arming up teachers and supplying armored backpacks to kindergartners. The very fact of school shooter drills alone should bring on a bout of stinging national shame.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2023, 07:12 AM   #2235
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

An early strong contender for a Darwin Award

https://news.sky.com/story/kansas-ma...e-say-12794977

"A man has died after a dog stepped on a rifle and shot him from the rear of a truck in the US state of Kansas."
Old 25th January 2023, 07:26 AM   #2236
jeremyp
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
US society has quite deliberately designed for itself a self perpetuating system of gun proliferation. It only required a critical mass of killing tools to be introduced as the catalyst. With the 'criminal set' now having such easy access, the 'law abiding set' must have even more unfettered access as a counterweight. More guns to steal, more needed by the good guys. And so goes the spiraling arms race, resulting in such lunacy being considered or proposed as arming up teachers and supplying armored backpacks to kindergartners. The very fact of school shooter drills alone should bring on a bout of stinging national shame.
I don't agree that the criminals having guns implies that the law abiding citizens need guns too.

Firstly, the person most likely to be killed with your gun is you. Suicides outnumber all other gun deaths put together in the USA.

Secondly, law abiding citizens having lots of guns makes it a lot easier for criminals to obtain lots of guns.

Thirdly, if the criminal who wants your wallet pulls a gun, you'll probably get away with just losing your wallet if you are unarmed. If you are armed, somebody is probably going to die and it might be you. Furthermore, if the criminal has the expectation that you are going to pull a gun, he might just shoot you instead of demanding your wallet.

Finally, as you say there is this spiralling arms race and you are not going to end it by distributing more guns. We can see that in the USA: it isn't working. The only other thing to try is to limit the availability of guns. Those are your two options: more deaths or gun control. Unfortunately, American politicians are not brave enough to try the latter in any meaningful sense.
Old 25th January 2023, 07:32 AM   #2237
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

...snip...
Finally, as you say there is this spiralling arms race and you are not going to end it by distributing more guns. We can see that in the USA: it isn't working. The only other thing to try is to limit the availability of guns. Those are your two options: more deaths or gun control. Unfortunately, American politicians are not brave enough to try the latter in any meaningful sense.
And to do that successfully it has to acknowledged that this decades old problem is going to take decades to improve.
Old 25th January 2023, 01:51 PM   #2238
mgidm86
Philosopher

If guns were properly regulated, fewer of them would be stolen.
If by regulating you mean keeping them out of the hands of most people then yes, that would help a lot.

Other than that, I don't know what regulations would have kept these parents from leaving their gun laying around for their kid to find, other than forbidding them from owning one at all.

People ignore laws all the time. "Screw the law I need my gun ready at all times, I'm not locking it up! What good is a gun in a safe?"

I guess some countries do random checks on gun owners. At least that's something. That'd be a full time job for a whole lot of people here.

Registration, limiting the amount of bullets one can buy, classes, all are a joke. You need to get guns out of people's hands. We just had a barroom shootout with multiple shooters in this country somewhere. So much for a polite society. The 2A is a total failure.

I just read your last post above it seems we agree on that. It's simple to me - humans have proven beyond a doubt that we can't handle the responsibility.

Last edited by mgidm86; 25th January 2023 at 01:53 PM.
Old 25th January 2023, 02:29 PM   #2239
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
An early strong contender for a Darwin Award

https://news.sky.com/story/kansas-ma...e-say-12794977

"A man has died after a dog stepped on a rifle and shot him from the rear of a truck in the US state of Kansas."
Not the first time.

I used to have a philosophy lecturer who would read out a column from the USA by an anti gun activist. (Sent over by a USA friend).

One reading was about a hunter playing 'tug-o-war' with his dog, using his loaded and cocked hunting rifle. The hunter was holding the rifle by the barrel and the dog was pulling on the trigger guard. The hunter died.

From memory, the title of that column was "Guns don't kill people, doggies kill people."

Sounds like this happens more often that we'd expect:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/dog-s...ents_b_4110822
Old 26th January 2023, 12:41 AM   #2240
jeremyp
Master Poster

If by regulating you mean keeping them out of the hands of most people then yes, that would help a lot.

Other than that, I don't know what regulations would have kept these parents from leaving their gun laying around for their kid to find, other than forbidding them from owning one at all.

People ignore laws all the time. "Screw the law I need my gun ready at all times, I'm not locking it up! What good is a gun in a safe?"

I guess some countries do random checks on gun owners. At least that's something. That'd be a full time job for a whole lot of people here.

Registration, limiting the amount of bullets one can buy, classes, all are a joke. You need to get guns out of people's hands. We just had a barroom shootout with multiple shooters in this country somewhere. So much for a polite society. The 2A is a total failure.

I just read your last post above it seems we agree on that. It's simple to me - humans have proven beyond a doubt that we can't handle the responsibility.
Registration is not a joke, it is necessary in order to make some of the other measures work. You can’t do safety checks on gun owners’ homes if you don’t know who the gun owners are.

Making people take classes is not a joke. It might not stop all gun owners from doing stupid things, but it will stop some.

Limiting the amount of bullets is a joke. If people must own firearms, they need to be proficient in their handling and use. That means getting lots of practice in at the range.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events