IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 23rd January 2023, 07:57 PM   #241
junkshop
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
...Why wouldn't someone who appointed a mass murderer be asked how and why they appointed that mass murderer....
Now, let's not get ahead of ourselves. As it stands he is accused of mass murder. Until he is convicted it would be inappropriate to expand the blame beyond the alleged perpetrator.

...If you hired a mass murderer, would it really be unreasonable for people to ask how did that happen? You would expect questions and it does not in anyway reflect an attack on you personally.
Well now, that would depend. Were they hired to be a mass murderer? Were they hired despite being a mass murderer? Were they a mass murderer when hired, or was that something they did later? Was there any reason to suspect that they may be/become a mass murderer? Are PhD students hired by the institutions that award their qualifications?

Oh yeah, and finally: what the **** is your problem with Professor Bolger? Seriously, it's kinda creepy.
Old 23rd January 2023, 08:19 PM   #242
junkshop
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Settle in and get comfy. You're in for a long wait.....
Oh, I know. I still bear the scars from the Estonia thread.

Still waiting for answers from over there - actual answers, not non sequiturs or evasio...OOH, LOOK! A SQUIRREL! WITH THE BLOOD OF INNOCENT BABIES ON ITS' CRUEL TALONS! WHAT KIND OF MONSTER ARE YOU THAT YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT THE POOR, IRRADIATED, EXPLODED, SMUGGLED BABIES?

I'm not saying that there's a pattern occurring, but there is a pattern occurring, and at this point it's almost comforting, like a bed-time story.

ETA: Sorry, re-reading the thread I see that you've already used the 'squirrel' bit (but I've never claimed to be terribly original). Anyway, I wouldn't be suprised if Bolger kept a dildo in the bathroom, which would justify all this...whatever it is.

Last edited by junkshop; 23rd January 2023 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Snark, if I'm honest.
junkshop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2023, 02:43 AM   #243
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by junkshop View Post
Oh, I know. I still bear the scars from the Estonia thread.

Still waiting for answers from over there - actual answers, not non sequiturs or evasio...OOH, LOOK! A SQUIRREL! WITH THE BLOOD OF INNOCENT BABIES ON ITS' CRUEL TALONS! WHAT KIND OF MONSTER ARE YOU THAT YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT THE POOR, IRRADIATED, EXPLODED, SMUGGLED BABIES?

I'm not saying that there's a pattern occurring, but there is a pattern occurring, and at this point it's almost comforting, like a bed-time story.

ETA: Sorry, re-reading the thread I see that you've already used the 'squirrel' bit (but I've never claimed to be terribly original). Anyway, I wouldn't be suprised if Bolger kept a dildo in the bathroom, which would justify all this...whatever it is.
Nah, a dildo might be ok...but not a vibrator. Oh, the horror!
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2023, 03:13 AM   #244
Olmstead
Graduate Poster

Potential mass murderers need jobs as well.
Olmstead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2023, 03:40 AM   #245
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Olmstead View Post
Potential mass murderers need jobs as well.

I can imagine him applying for welfare benefits several months ago, and in answer to the question about why he's not working he writes "Nobody will employ me because they all think I might at some point in the future become a mass murderer"

LondonJohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2023, 04:05 AM   #246
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Please stop twisting my words and putting words in my mouth. I have not disparaged Bolger nor denigrated her...
I don't need to list the disparaging words you've used about her as junkshop has helpfully done it for us. It's really odd that you don't think you've been disparaging about her.

Quote:
it is natural and reasonable to ask how come she didn't spot he was a complete oddball.
It's something you could equally well ask about every single person who knew or ever interacted with him. That he wasn't constantly reported to the police as an obviously deranged psychopath hints that the trivial answer is that he didn't present as a "complete oddball".

Quote:
Why wouldn't someone who appointed a mass murderer be asked how and why they appointed that mass murderer.
Bolger didn't appoint him to anything, so who are you talking about here?

Quote:
If you hired a mass murderer, would it really be unreasonable for people to ask how did that happen?
Again who are you talking about here, as Bolger never hired him?

When they eventually make a TV movie about this case there will be an amalgamated character of a university professor who expresses their shock to the press about this horrible news regarding one of their brightest previous students. Might or might not use her name. Might or might not be played by a woman. That's about the extent of Bolger's involvement in this case. It's amusing that you want to try to frame this as my having some kind of fascination with the professor but it is of course you who keeps dragging her in and trying to turn her into a significant character in this story, when she is in fact entirely peripheral.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2023, 05:28 AM   #247
whoanellie
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
I was wondering why all these attempts to put down Bolger were being made.

It made me wonder if she was an attractive woman or something.

So I checked.

OK. Now I understand what is going on.
This is why ISF needs a "like" button.
whoanellie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2023, 06:04 AM   #248
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

https://www.desales.edu/academics/ou...ichelle-bolger

For those of you trying to follow the absolutely nonexistent breadcrumbs, and stalling out on the typoed URL from earlier in the thread.
Old 24th January 2023, 07:23 AM   #249
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Irrelevant sidebar2: I thought people were supposed to find attractive people to be more creditble and be inclined to agree with them? I hadn't realized she was so young. If that's a Doctor, my ass done got old somewhere along the way.

Anywho, her opinion of her former student's intellect is not likely relevant, except in that stereotype-busting sense that murderers are bottom dwelling failures and dumb animals. This forum should not be so succeptible to such stereotypes, so whatever.

Can it be roundly agreed that however book smart he is, said smarts did not transfer to being smart enough to not leave a trail of bread crumbs as big as boulders to follow? I mean, he did everything but snap a selfie in front of the bodies.
Old 24th January 2023, 08:11 AM   #250
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
In the United States it is not against the law to be an oddball. Some people have "Murderer" written all over them, yet never produce. Many more actual murderers always have the, "He was nice/quiet/polite" label until they kill. Ted Bundy was a pleasant, charming guy. Someone you'd have a few beers with. He even worked at a suicide hotline, and would walk his female coworkers to their cars at night so they'd be safe.

If you think you can predict who will become a murderer, you need to post up in the paranormal thread under psychic powers and mind-reading.

She was asked, and she answered. And he wasn't a mass murderer at the time she made the recommendation.

She's not on trial. His being in a PhD program had nothing to do with him killing four people other than putting him in eastern Washington.

What you say may well be true. On the other hand, ISTM, there is quite a strong possibility that his studies were a factor, therefore it is pertinent to consider it. If you as an HR manager hired someone who turned out to be one of the worst criminals ever, of course it is valid to check your processes and even judgement in your hiring techniques. It is to do with you in your job role not on you personally, assuming your own negligence doesn't come into it, in which case it is fair to ask whether there is a training gap or whether you are suitable in the role even. However, the latter is not the issue here, more importantly in the context of the crime is did Kohberger's study or the nature of it trigger the crime?

Bearing in mind this is not by any means a common or garden variety murder, the one-student-in-X-hundreds-of-thousands who robs a petrol station desperate for cash and thereby killing someone, or the drug deal gone wrong - short-change revenge or unable to pay back debt so gets shot - or even the jealous lover in a moment of passion.

This quadruple murder is not just premeditated, it is pre-pre-pre-PRE-meditated. If the guy could fry four times them he would be for the sheer awfulness of the act.

ISTM the entire planning and stylised horror effect of the crime, screams out something that was entirely calculated to gain a prominent place in the annals of the most evil of evil crimes.

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2023, 08:15 AM   #251
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Can it be roundly agreed that however book smart he is, said smarts did not transfer to being smart enough to not leave a trail of bread crumbs as big as boulders to follow? I mean, he did everything but snap a selfie in front of the bodies.
One wonders what his actual thought process was. Did he try to think of everything, and just failed to imagine all of the details big and small, that homicide detectives might actually look for in the wisdom of their millennia of institutional experience?

Did he start that process, and then give up and go ahead anyway, once he realized just how long the list of potential clues was and how impossible it would be to exhaustively address them?

Or did he just blow off the entire effort and go full send from the start?
Old 24th January 2023, 08:32 AM   #252
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
One wonders what his actual thought process was. Did he try to think of everything, and just failed to imagine all of the details big and small, that homicide detectives might actually look for in the wisdom of their millennia of institutional experience?

Did he start that process, and then give up and go ahead anyway, once he realized just how long the list of potential clues was and how impossible it would be to exhaustively address them?

This guy is a copy cat. He seems to have taken his idea from his sister's starring role (Amanda Kohberger) in a movie called 'Two Days Back' wherein a bunch of students get slaughtered. For some reason a plot synopsis seems to to have been removed by IMDb, which I am sure was there a few weeks ago describing this horror scene.

However, we can rely on the old stalwart the DAILY HORROR to come to our rescue:

Quote:
The sister of alleged quadruple killer Bryan Kohberger starred in a gory slasher movie where young students were brutally hacked to death on a camping trip.

Amanda Kohberger, 34, starred as 'Lori' in the low-budget thriller 'Two Days Back' in 2011 with characters being stabbed and slashed with knives and hatchets.

It bares chilling similarities to the crimes her brother is accused of - attacking four students as they slept in the remote college town of Moscow, Idaho.

The horror film shows the group being murdered one by one by a maniac killer who won over their trust but Kohberger's sister is one of the few to survive the slayings.
Note Amanda was conspicuous by her absence from her brother's first court appearance in Pennsylvania.

Quote:
The film follows a group of students who go into the woods on a mission to 'catch forestry students suspect of illegal foresting'.

However, students quickly go missing and are stabbed and left to bleed out, with one being hacked by a hatched and another caught in a bear trap.

One of them is even killed then bound to a tree, with multiple students being killed by a twisted peer who had an unknown connection to the woods.

But 'Lori', Amanda's character, flees as soon as people go missing and is seen safely back on campus at the end of the film.
DM

Sounds like a offshoot of Blair Witch Project.

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2023, 08:33 AM   #253
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

I do find it interesting. One of the themes here is the "psychopath next door", an outwardly normalish guy working his way through advanced academia, who abruptly murders young women. Whether it was a kind of breaker trip murder, ill-conceived, or a more meticulous planning that was badly bungled is more than a casual musing.

His demeanor before and after the murders sounds a lot like he was wound up tight before, and much released and casual after. Pressure cooker kind of thing?
Old 24th January 2023, 09:19 AM   #254
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Doesn't seem like he put significant forethought into getting away with it.

Could even be that the knife was intended for intimidation and he didn't actually go expecting to kill, but then (as someone said several pages ago) maybe he lost it when things didn't go however he had fantasized they would. I won't be surprised if his eventual line of defence, or at least mitigation, is something along those lines.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2023, 11:27 AM   #255
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
Could even be that the knife was intended for intimidation and he didn't actually go expecting to kill, but then (as someone said several pages ago) maybe he lost it when things didn't go however he had fantasized they would. I won't be surprised if his eventual line of defence, or at least mitigation, is something along those lines.

There is no possible defense or mitigation for stabbing four people to death. He either did it or he didn't. When he decided to do it just doesn't matter.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2023, 12:29 PM   #256
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

This guy is a copy cat. He seems to have taken his idea from his sister's starring role (Amanda Kohberger) in a movie called 'Two Days Back' wherein a bunch of students get slaughtered. For some reason a plot synopsis seems to to have been removed by IMDb, which I am sure was there a few weeks ago describing this horror scene.

However, we can rely on the old stalwart the DAILY HORROR to come to our rescue:

Note Amanda was conspicuous by her absence from her brother's first court appearance in Pennsylvania.

DM

Sounds like a offshoot of Blair Witch Project.
It sounds like any number of similar movies. Students getting stabbed to death is a pretty common plot, especially in low budget films. Scream, Happy Death Day, Lake Bodom, Sorority House Massacre II....
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2023, 12:32 PM   #257
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I do find it interesting. One of the themes here is the "psychopath next door", an outwardly normalish guy working his way through advanced academia, who abruptly murders young women. Whether it was a kind of breaker trip murder, ill-conceived, or a more meticulous planning that was badly bungled is more than a casual musing.

His demeanor before and after the murders sounds a lot like he was wound up tight before, and much released and casual after. Pressure cooker kind of thing?
Could be, but his reticence to talk about the murders just after could also be his way of avoiding drawing attention to himself.
Old 24th January 2023, 12:35 PM   #258
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Could be, but his reticence to talk about the murders just after could also be his way of avoiding drawing attention to himself.
I was thinking about his reported grading style. Very strict and critical before, and "giving everyone 100s" after, and his letting his normally clean shaven facial hair grow out.
Old 24th January 2023, 12:56 PM   #259
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I was thinking about his reported grading style. Very strict and critical before, and "giving everyone 100s" after, and his letting his normally clean shaven facial hair grow out.
I'm not saying you're wrong at all, just that it could be something else. His change in grading style could indicate he was just too preoccupied/worried to give any thought to reading papers and grading them.
Old 24th January 2023, 01:32 PM   #260
Axxman300
Philosopher

What you say may well be true. On the other hand, ISTM, there is quite a strong possibility that his studies were a factor, therefore it is pertinent to consider it. If you as an HR manager hired someone who turned out to be one of the worst criminals ever, of course it is valid to check your processes and even judgement in your hiring techniques. It is to do with you in your job role not on you personally, assuming your own negligence doesn't come into it, in which case it is fair to ask whether there is a training gap or whether you are suitable in the role even. However, the latter is not the issue here, more importantly in the context of the crime is did Kohberger's study or the nature of it trigger the crime?
None of this is realistic in any way.

Getting into a PhD program of any kind is already an arduous process designed to weed out the semi-serious students. And in the US, colleges and universities pride themselves on embracing people with Kohberger's recovered-addict background because it's socially responsible, and the moral thing to do. If an addict knows their past will be held against them for the rest of their lives, what's the point of getting clean? And as a former addict-turned criminologist, Kohberger would have unique insight into a crime that is undermining wester and eastern societies.

On paper, Kohberger is the guy you WANT in a criminology PhD program.

Assuming the state doesn't go for the death penalty, I predict he'll continue his education in prison, and get his PhD.

As for your HR example, how do you adjust the process? The reason I ask is because for the handful of cases where a fellow employee has stolen cash or product from my employer, we never saw it coming. They all had great references, no criminal record, and had a great attitude while on the job.

I must ask, how many crimes have you committed?

When I was a kid, I shop-lifted here and there. Usually books. My current crime of passion is Urban Exploration, wherein I trespass into abandoned buildings to photograph them. I have trespassed onto Federal and State properties. I'm not looking at hard time, but the fines could be steep if caught. I don't get caught because I don't look suspicious. No backpack, no massive camera (a smaller digital, and my phone), and I dress like live or work in the area. It's amazing how a white hardhat and orange or yellow reflective vest, and a clipboard can make a middle-aged man invisible.

I fit a variety of criminal profiles due to my background of child-abuse. Yet I've never killed anyone.

The kid around the corner from my old, nice white-middle class neighborhood who became the first murderer I knew came from a solid, nuclear family. His parent were wonderful, he was the only boy, with three beautiful sisters. He was an athlete and a good student through junior high school. And then he got into drugs. He had run-ins with the Sheriffs here and there. He dropped out of school his junior year. And finally he attacked an old man with an axe while attempting to burglarize his home. He only received 14 years in prison, but his conduct as an inmate has kept him behind bars. Thankfully so.

Where does your assessment start? When he was in 7th grade the idea that he would murder anyone was laughable. When he was in 10th grade, he was a drug addict, but not violent. Most of us figured he'd just OD at some point. And what if he had got a grip on his life, and cleaned up? Why punish someone who HASN'T COMMITTED A CRIME?

It's one thing if this lady had a string of spree killers she'd recommended for PhD programs. Yet she just has one, and I'm certain she's mortified about this whole thing. All this means is there's one less possible letter of recommendation some young person needs to advance. How is that a good thing?

Quote:
Bearing in mind this is not by any means a common or garden variety murder, the one-student-in-X-hundreds-of-thousands who robs a petrol station desperate for cash and thereby killing someone, or the drug deal gone wrong - short-change revenge or unable to pay back debt so gets shot - or even the jealous lover in a moment of passion.
Since we do not know his motivation, we can't say if this is common or not. Had used a gun we wouldn't even be talking about this right now.

The internet is infatuated with this case because it checks all the social media boxes: Attractive, young victims, college town, near a holiday, creepy loner suspect. But it's not even the worst murder in the past four months in this country. People need to stop over-thinking this one.

Quote:
This quadruple murder is not just premeditated, it is pre-pre-pre-PRE-meditated. If the guy could fry four times them he would be for the sheer awfulness of the act.
Objecting, speculation. Since we don't know the motive, since we have no graphic details of the crime scene, we cannot say this was premeditated in the case of all four victims. Two of them weren't supposed to be there that night. The killer was not expecting two extra people.

Quote:
ISTM the entire planning and stylised horror effect of the crime, screams out something that was entirely calculated to gain a prominent place in the annals of the most evil of evil crimes.
Lady, this is the United States of America. Since this thread was started we've had at least six mass shootings. in the annals of US criminal history, Kohberger falls into the Four & Under Victims column.

Last edited by Axxman300; 24th January 2023 at 01:34 PM.
Axxman300 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2023, 02:00 PM   #261
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

None of this is realistic in any way.

Getting into a PhD program of any kind is already an arduous process designed to weed out the semi-serious students. And in the US, colleges and universities pride themselves on embracing people with Kohberger's recovered-addict background because it's socially responsible, and the moral thing to do. If an addict knows their past will be held against them for the rest of their lives, what's the point of getting clean? And as a former addict-turned criminologist, Kohberger would have unique insight into a crime that is undermining wester and eastern societies.

On paper, Kohberger is the guy you WANT in a criminology PhD program.

Assuming the state doesn't go for the death penalty, I predict he'll continue his education in prison, and get his PhD.

As for your HR example, how do you adjust the process? The reason I ask is because for the handful of cases where a fellow employee has stolen cash or product from my employer, we never saw it coming. They all had great references, no criminal record, and had a great attitude while on the job.

I must ask, how many crimes have you committed?

When I was a kid, I shop-lifted here and there. Usually books. My current crime of passion is Urban Exploration, wherein I trespass into abandoned buildings to photograph them. I have trespassed onto Federal and State properties. I'm not looking at hard time, but the fines could be steep if caught. I don't get caught because I don't look suspicious. No backpack, no massive camera (a smaller digital, and my phone), and I dress like live or work in the area. It's amazing how a white hardhat and orange or yellow reflective vest, and a clipboard can make a middle-aged man invisible.

I fit a variety of criminal profiles due to my background of child-abuse. Yet I've never killed anyone.

The kid around the corner from my old, nice white-middle class neighborhood who became the first murderer I knew came from a solid, nuclear family. His parent were wonderful, he was the only boy, with three beautiful sisters. He was an athlete and a good student through junior high school. And then he got into drugs. He had run-ins with the Sheriffs here and there. He dropped out of school his junior year. And finally he attacked an old man with an axe while attempting to burglarize his home. He only received 14 years in prison, but his conduct as an inmate has kept him behind bars. Thankfully so.

Where does your assessment start? When he was in 7th grade the idea that he would murder anyone was laughable. When he was in 10th grade, he was a drug addict, but not violent. Most of us figured he'd just OD at some point. And what if he had got a grip on his life, and cleaned up? Why punish someone who HASN'T COMMITTED A CRIME?

It's one thing if this lady had a string of spree killers she'd recommended for PhD programs. Yet she just has one, and I'm certain she's mortified about this whole thing. All this means is there's one less possible letter of recommendation some young person needs to advance. How is that a good thing?

Since we do not know his motivation, we can't say if this is common or not. Had used a gun we wouldn't even be talking about this right now.

The internet is infatuated with this case because it checks all the social media boxes: Attractive, young victims, college town, near a holiday, creepy loner suspect. But it's not even the worst murder in the past four months in this country. People need to stop over-thinking this one.

Objecting, speculation. Since we don't know the motive, since we have no graphic details of the crime scene, we cannot say this was premeditated in the case of all four victims. Two of them weren't supposed to be there that night. The killer was not expecting two extra people.

Lady, this is the United States of America. Since this thread was started we've had at least six mass shootings. in the annals of US criminal history, Kohberger falls into the Four & Under Victims column.
Excellent post.

You're correct that two people weren't expected to be there: Ethan Chapin and Kaylee Goncalves (who had previously moved out).
Old 24th January 2023, 02:16 PM   #262
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
There is no possible defense or mitigation for stabbing four people to death. He either did it or he didn't. When he decided to do it just doesn't matter.
He may admit to murder and deny premeditation.
Old 24th January 2023, 02:37 PM   #263
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

He may admit to murder and deny premeditation.

Premeditation doesn't require any length of time between the thought and the act, only that it was deliberate, not impulsive. Repeatedly stabbing four people after sneaking into their home demonstrates plenty of premeditation. A claim like that won't help him at all.
Quote:
Deliberation and premeditation mean that the prosecutor must show that the defendant developed the conscious intent to kill before committing the murder. This is a low threshold and does not require showing that the defendant created an extensive plan before he committed the act (although that might sometimes be the case). Rather, deliberation and premeditation require only that the defendant paused, for at least a few moments, to consider his actions, during which time a reasonable person would have had time to second guess such actions.
https://www.justia.com/criminal/offe...degree-murder/

Quote:
Time alone doesn't determine whether a defendant's crime was premeditated and deliberated. All premeditation and deliberation require is the time it takes to form the intent, ponder the crime, and then act. Defendants can premeditate and deliberate in a matter of minutes, as long as the thought process occurs before the act.

And no specific formula exists for determining whether a defendant premeditated and deliberated before acting. Courts and juries will consider the circumstances of each case.
https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...e-conduct.html

Idaho has a death penalty, but it's rarely applied. The state has eight people on death row awaiting execution, one as long as 46 years. Only three have been executed since 1994. If this guy is convicted he's looking at life, whatever his actual sentence.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capita...hment_in_Idaho
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...cuted_in_Idaho
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...d_States#Idaho
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2023, 02:45 PM   #264
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Thanks. That's interesting. I had always taken premeditation to mean planned rather than unplanned. It appears to be more like intended rather than unintended.
Old 24th January 2023, 05:40 PM   #265
whoanellie
Graduate Poster

Idaho has a death penalty, but it's rarely applied. The state has eight people on death row awaiting execution, one as long as 46 years. Only three have been executed since 1994. If this guy is convicted he's looking at life, whatever his actual sentence.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capita...hment_in_Idaho
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...cuted_in_Idaho
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...d_States#Idaho
Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty for Lori and Chad Daybell, I'd be shocked if they didn't seek it against Kohlberger. The number of people on death row in Idaho has more to do with the states's low population and low murder rate than any propensity to seek the death penalty. Long delays in carrying out executions are the norm in every state with the death penalty. Kohlberger is likely facing a long stay on death row.
whoanellie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2023, 05:50 PM   #266
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by whoanellie View Post
Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty for Lori and Chad Daybell, I'd be shocked if they didn't seek it against Kohlberger. The number of people on death row in Idaho has more to do with the states's low population and low murder rate than any propensity to seek the death penalty. Long delays in carrying out executions are the norm in every state with the death penalty. Kohlberger is likely facing a long stay on death row.
I agree. They'll probably seek the death penalty, but they may not get it.
Old 24th January 2023, 06:53 PM   #267
Axxman300
Philosopher

Here's Idaho's view on First-Degree Murder:

https://legislature.idaho.gov/statut...0/sect18-4003/

Quote:
CHAPTER 40
HOMICIDE

18-4003. DEGREES OF MURDER. (a) All murder which is perpetrated by means of poison, or lying in wait, or torture, when torture is inflicted with the intent to cause suffering, to execute vengeance, to extort something from the victim, or to satisfy some sadistic inclination, or which is perpetrated by any kind of willful, deliberate and premeditated killing is murder of the first degree.

(b) Any murder of any peace officer, executive officer, officer of the court, fireman, judicial officer or prosecuting attorney who was acting in the lawful discharge of an official duty, and was known or should have been known by the perpetrator of the murder to be an officer so acting, shall be murder of the first degree.

(c) Any murder committed by a person under a sentence for murder of the first or second degree, including such persons on parole or probation from such sentence, shall be murder of the first degree.

(d) Any murder committed in the perpetration of, or attempt to perpetrate, aggravated battery on a child under twelve (12) years of age, arson, rape, robbery, burglary, kidnapping or mayhem, or an act of terrorism, as defined in section 18-8102, Idaho Code, or the use of a weapon of mass destruction, biological weapon or chemical weapon, is murder of the first degree.
The one in bold is the charge I think they go with. Hard to say what the County Prosecutor will do. If they have more evidence, and stronger evidence as to motive, they might seek the death penalty, but Life in Prison without parole is more likely.

I read through the State AG's website. There are not a lot of murders in Idaho, and prosecution of a capital case can be tricky without much experience. Texas, California, Florida, and Illinois have an industrial level of death penalty cases, and they still have trouble getting that punishment.

I'll say this again. Had those students been shot instead of stabbed, nobody would care. There was a seventh mass shooting (since the beginning of this thread). In Yakima, Washington where three people seem to have been shot at random, and the shooter later killed himself. I doubt this case will spawn podcasts, Youtube posts, or get anywhere near seven pages on this board.
Old 24th January 2023, 09:04 PM   #268
whoanellie
Graduate Poster

Here's Idaho's view on First-Degree Murder:

https://legislature.idaho.gov/statut...0/sect18-4003/

The one in bold is the charge I think they go with. Hard to say what the County Prosecutor will do. If they have more evidence, and stronger evidence as to motive, they might seek the death penalty, but Life in Prison without parole is more likely.

I read through the State AG's website. There are not a lot of murders in Idaho, and prosecution of a capital case can be tricky without much experience. Texas, California, Florida, and Illinois have an industrial level of death penalty cases, and they still have trouble getting that punishment.

I'll say this again. Had those students been shot instead of stabbed, nobody would care. There was a seventh mass shooting (since the beginning of this thread). In Yakima, Washington where three people seem to have been shot at random, and the shooter later killed himself. I doubt this case will spawn podcasts, Youtube posts, or get anywhere near seven pages on this board.
Why do you think D and not A? Did Koglberger steal something?
Seems to me A would apply here. It's the lack of any obvious motivation other than cruelty which is significant here.
Idaho is very conservative. I don't believe it would be hard to get a jury to recommend death.

Last edited by whoanellie; 24th January 2023 at 09:07 PM.
Old 24th January 2023, 10:15 PM   #269
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

A main reason for the continuing interest was that the (alleged) killer was at large for close to two months. He could have been anybody anywhere, and the police weren't saying much. Then the suspect turns out to be genuinely weird. If the police had arrested an ex-boyfriend the next day or caught an ex-con using a stolen credit card at a gas station, interest would have dropped much faster.
Old 24th January 2023, 10:35 PM   #270
Axxman300
Philosopher

Originally Posted by whoanellie View Post
Why do you think D and not A? Did Koglberger steal something?
Seems to me A would apply here. It's the lack of any obvious motivation other than cruelty which is significant here.
Idaho is very conservative. I don't believe it would be hard to get a jury to recommend death.
Because he is actually charged with Burglary:

https://www.newsweek.com/why-bryan-k...murder-1772244

Quote:
At a press conference following Kohberger's arrest, Latah County Prosecutor Bill Thompson said the burglary charge involved "entering the residence with the intent to commit the crime of murder."

The relevant Idaho statute (Idaho Code 18-1401) states that "every person who enters any house, room, apartment, tenement, store, shop, warehouse, mill, barn, stable, outhouse, or a building, tent, vessel, vehicle, trailer, airplane, or railroad car with intent to commit any theft or any felony is guilty of burglary.

Fifty states, fifty different interpretations of what burglary is.

Last edited by Axxman300; 24th January 2023 at 10:36 PM.
Axxman300 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2023, 10:43 PM   #271
Axxman300
Philosopher

A main reason for the continuing interest was that the (alleged) killer was at large for close to two months. He could have been anybody anywhere, and the police weren't saying much. Then the suspect turns out to be genuinely weird. If the police had arrested an ex-boyfriend the next day or caught an ex-con using a stolen credit card at a gas station, interest would have dropped much faster.
Yes, but there is a larger issue at play: Click-Bait.

Visit Youtube and Tik Tok, and search Idaho-Four, or Idaho Murders. There are now hundreds of true-crime/web-sleuth posts where they ran with every dumb theory, and then fed off each other. It's about getting "views" for your Youtube channel, which is .03 per view. The sick thing is that mainstream media also taps into this BS, and spreads bad information.

This is my main interest in this case because this is how urban legends and conspiracy theories form in real-time.
Old 25th January 2023, 12:06 AM   #272
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, but there is a larger issue at play: Click-Bait.

Visit Youtube and Tik Tok, and search Idaho-Four, or Idaho Murders. There are now hundreds of true-crime/web-sleuth posts where they ran with every dumb theory, and then fed off each other. It's about getting "views" for your Youtube channel, which is .03 per view. The sick thing is that mainstream media also taps into this BS, and spreads bad information.

This is my main interest in this case because this is how urban legends and conspiracy theories form in real-time.
BINGO! It's amazing how gullible and none-too-bright people watch Youtube/internet self-appointed 'experts' who get their info
from other Youtube/internet self-appointed 'experts' and tabloids and believe it is factual. They form their opinions based largely on misinformation and speculation and then just dig in, handwaving away any later forthcoming information that challenges that belief. Some people just cannot admit they are wrong.
Old 25th January 2023, 03:09 AM   #273
catsmate
No longer the 1

He was first year doctorate. Only just started.
True, but utterly irrelevant.

Only had an 'online' MA in addition to a bachelors.
Also true, also irrelevant.

It is true that he is just one of a couple she has put forward for a PhD on the grounds that she personally found him 'brilliant'.
Yes, and....?

I was led to understand she had only been a tutor for a short while so it is quite possible the news outlet was incorrect in that respect if what you claim is true that she has been teaching for eight years.
She was an associate professor, i.e. tenured and one step below a full professorship.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2023, 03:15 AM   #274
catsmate
No longer the 1

You claimed he was not a new PhD student. From your own post, Bolger appeared to be an Associate Professor at some point. The fact that research students help with tutoring doesn't mean they are as long experienced as you appeared to claim, when you said Bolger had been a professor for eight years. In the UK it is not unusual for people to spend up to six years getting their doctorate so eight years as a research student and associate professor is hardly as a highly experienced professor as you claim. Obviously, I am not familiar with the US system but the report I read said Bolger was quite new.

Some bachelors degrees are only two years in the states so I got the impression that Kohberger is not quite the super genius student some people are claiming.
1. She was (and is) an associate professor. A tenured position in the tier below full professor.
2. Bollocks. Few (full-time) UK/Com/I doctorates take more than 3-4 years, with the average drifting up from three in Ye Olde Days of my first Ph.D.
Part time doctorates average 6-7 years.
3. Please cite an example of an accredited bachelors degree (level 8) being commonly completed in two years in the USA.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2023, 03:18 AM   #275
catsmate
No longer the 1

You might be surprised but you and I were not educated during a global pandemic in an age when computers made online video interaction normal. Also, surely she was not the one who selected him. She just recommended him.
If she selected him surely she'd be his supervisor (IIRR the US system still had direct supervisors/tutors for doctoral candidates)?
Old 25th January 2023, 04:09 AM   #276
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
3. Please cite an example of an accredited bachelors degree (level 8) being commonly completed in two years in the USA.
Depends when you start counting. I got my BSN in 2yrs. But I had a 2yr degree when I started my 4yr degree. My masters only took 1 more year.

The UofWA has a 2yr BSN degree for people who are RNs that want a degree.

As noted, however, this irrelevant sidetrack has run its course.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 25th January 2023 at 04:11 AM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2023, 04:42 AM   #277
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
If she selected him surely she'd be his supervisor (IIRR the US system still had direct supervisors/tutors for doctoral candidates)?
In my experience, selecting a PhD advisor has nothing to do with admission into the program. The latter is a decision by the faculty. Only after the program has begun and you have taken some classes do you select an advisor.

This may differ from school to school and discipline to discipline, for all I know.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2023, 05:03 AM   #278
whoanellie
Graduate Poster

Because he is actually charged with Burglary:

https://www.newsweek.com/why-bryan-k...murder-1772244

Fifty states, fifty different interpretations of what burglary is.
somehow I missed burglary in the law you quoted
Old 25th January 2023, 05:40 AM   #279
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
In my experience, selecting a PhD advisor has nothing to do with admission into the program. The latter is a decision by the faculty. Only after the program has begun and you have taken some classes do you select an advisor.

This may differ from school to school and discipline to discipline, for all I know.
I don't know who his PhD supervisor is, but I doubt it's significant and it certainly won't be professor Bolger. I hope we don't lose sight of the fact he was studying for his PhD in Pullman WA, while Bolger continues to work in Pennsylvania, over 2000 miles away, at the university where Kohberger gained his MA.
Old 25th January 2023, 08:29 AM   #280
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

It sounds like any number of similar movies. Students getting stabbed to death is a pretty common plot, especially in low budget films. Scream, Happy Death Day, Lake Bodom, Sorority House Massacre II....
Non sequitur. Perspective: Kohberger was born 21 Nov 1994.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors