IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 10th January 2023, 04:48 PM   #121
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Most of the defendents at Nuremburg had above average IQs. IQ's just measure a person's reasoning abiities, nothing else. You can have a High IQ and be batcrap crazy.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2023, 05:01 PM   #122
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Kohberger is obviously smart, but smart people can be killers, too. Here are several notorious killers with their IQ.
[/url]

Ted Kaczynski (Unibomber) 167

Jeffrey Dahmer 145

Dr. Harold Shipman 140

Ted Bundy 136

Edward Kemper 136/145 (tested twice)

I had to look up Shipman. Crap.
Quote:
Harold Frederick Shipman (14 January 1946 – 13 January 2004), known by the public as Doctor Death and to acquaintances as Fred Shipman, was an English general practitioner and serial killer. He is considered to be one of the most prolific serial killers in modern history, with an estimated 250 victims.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Shipman

I guess the lesson is always get a second opinion.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2023, 01:13 AM   #123
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

So the armchair detective nutcases are already out including this one:
Quote:
A professor at the University of Idaho has filed a defamation lawsuit last week against the internet personality Ashley Guillard, who alleged to have solved the prominent murder cases and whose TikTok videos have repeatedly alleged that the school's history department chair was involved in the fatal stabbings of four students last month.

Rebecca Scofield is an author and assistant professor of history at the university focusing on gender, sexuality and the American West, among other topics, according to her website. Last week, she filed the federal complaint in Idaho's district court seeking a jury trial along with reimbursement for all applicable legal fees, while accusing Guillard of spreading false narratives about Scofield's connection to the deceased college students and the unsolved quadruple murder.
Quote:
"Defendant Ashley Guillard—a purported internet sleuth—decided to use the community's pain for her online self-promotion," the lawsuit states, noting that Guillard, while operating the relatively popular account @ashleyisinthebookoflife, "posted many videos on TikTok falsely stating that Plaintiff Rebecca Scofield (a professor at the University) participated in the murders because she was romantically involved with one of the victims."
Quote:
A tarot card reader focusing on unsolved "mysteries," per her TikTok description, Guillard has in the past posted videos about other high-profile murder cases, including the killing of Migos rapper Takeoff less than two weeks before the killings in Idaho. She has recorded and posted more than 40 statements that Scofield says are false linking her to the students' murders in an extensive series of TikTok videos shared over the last four weeks, according to the lawsuit. The lawsuit also alleges that Guillard continued to post defamatory comments about Scofield online after receiving two cease and desist letters from the professor.

Guillard's videos about the Idaho murders typically garner tens of thousands of views from other social media users on the platform, and they have implicated Jack DuCoeur, the ex-boyfriend of Goncalves, who police say has been cleared as a potential suspect, in addition to Scofield.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2023, 05:18 PM   #124
Axxman300
Philosopher

I hope the professor puts her in the poor-house.
Old 13th January 2023, 07:05 PM   #125
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I guess Guillard failed to notice what happened in the Alex Jones cases. Kind of a big miss.
Old 13th January 2023, 09:23 PM   #126
marting
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I guess Guillard failed to notice what happened in the Alex Jones cases. Kind of a big miss.
Alex Jones made big bucks from his disgusting grift and set a bar no one has come near. Guillard doesn't hold a candle to it but still deserves to get slammed.
Old 14th January 2023, 12:15 AM   #127
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Kohberger has a history of odd social media posts describing having no empathy or emotion:
Quote:
Idaho Murders Suspect Felt ‘No Emotion’ and ‘Little Remorse’ as a Teen

MOSCOW, Idaho — A criminology Ph.D. student charged with stabbing four University of Idaho students to death had written years ago of having suicidal thoughts, not being able to feel emotions and observing his own life as if it were a video game, saying he could do “whatever I want with little remorse.”

The new revelations about the suspect, Bryan Kohberger, come from posts he made on an online forum in which he discussed his mental health struggles, as well as from interviews with those who knew him and messages he sent to friends that were obtained by The New York Times.

They paint a portrait of an anxious, isolated and depressed teenager who turned to heroin use before eventually getting clean and becoming fascinated with studying criminal psychology, saying then that he hoped to one day provide counseling for high-profile criminals.

“I feel like an organic sack of meat with no self worth,” he wrote in 2011, when he was 16, adding later, in the same post: “As I hug my family, I look into their faces, I see nothing, it is like I am looking at a video game, but less.”
Quote:
In online posts by Mr. Kohberger dating from when he was a teenager, he berates himself and talks about feeling disconnected from society, unable to find meaning in life. He describes an array of mental health challenges, including anxiety, depression, depersonalization, lack of emotion and the “constant thought of suicide.”

The words were posted on a forum website called Tapatalk, previously known as Yuku, where Mr. Kohberger commiserated with other users while suffering from a little-understood neurological condition called visual snow, in which a person’s vision is obscured by scattering dots, much like the static seen on an analog television.
Quote:
“Nothing I do is enjoyable,” Mr. Kohberger wrote. “I am blank, I have no opinion, I have no emotion, I have nothing. Can you relate?”
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2023, 04:09 PM   #128
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Quote:
The words were posted on a forum website called Tapatalk, previously known as Yuku
erm... wut?
Old 15th January 2023, 09:25 AM   #129
sarge
Philosopher

Mod WarningBickering about what is or isn’t on-topic is off-topic.
Responding to this mod box in thread will be off topic Posted By:sarge
Old 15th January 2023, 09:33 AM   #130
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Okay, sorry. I'm curious to know though whether this accuser has any axe to grind against the professor or if they're just trying to make themselves the centre of attention but overlooking the small matter that accusing someone of murder has real-life consequences.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2023, 11:27 AM   #131
Carrot Flower King
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
Okay, sorry. I'm curious to know though whether this accuser has any axe to grind against the professor or if they're just trying to make themselves the centre of attention but overlooking the small matter that accusing someone of murder has real-life consequences.
Well, if said person genuinely believes in tarot or similar nonsense, then their grasp on reality, causes and consequences would seem to be very tenuous, so not knowing that spouting some bollocks about someone on the web might mean something, even allowing for US-ian defamation laws, would fit.
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2023, 08:16 PM   #132
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

And the internet sleuthing on the Idaho murders continues:

Quote:
Quote:
How prevalent is internet sleuthing? Consider this: this Facebook group, "University of Idaho murders-case discussion" has more than a quarter million followers and this is just one of many groups discussing and hypothesizing about this case online.

Prior to Kohberger's arrest, a user who goes by "Pappa Rodger," was a prolific contributor on the site -- with many creepy and insensitive posts -- and what turned out to be incorrect speculation, such as "the white Elantra is a red herring." However, he also declared, "of the evidence released, the murder weapon has been consistent as a fixed blade knife. This leads me to believe they found the sheath."

The fact that he got the detail correct about the sheath, despite getting so much else wrong, is one of several reasons many on social media think "Pappa Rodger" was Kohberger.

There is no indication Facebook or the police believe the "Pappa Rodger" account, who is no longer in the group, is Kohberger.
It doesn't take a genius to figure out that a folding knife does not need a sheath. That's one of the conveniences of a folding knife. Police have not stated they found the murder weapon itself so concluding they found a sheath doesn't take a Sherlock Holmes.

Quote:
Then, there is the video taken at an Idaho prayer vigil for the four murder victims prior to Kohberger's arrest, with many people hypothesizing online that the suspect attended the vigil.

But a TV crew from the newsmagazine "Inside Edition" was at the vigil, and has videotape of the man close-up. It is definitely not Kohberger and the man's face in the video has been blurred to protect his identity.
Yet, many people will continue to believe that this shows Kohberger at the vigil.
Old 16th January 2023, 01:17 AM   #133
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

And the internet sleuthing on the Idaho murders continues:

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that a folding knife does not need a sheath. That's one of the conveniences of a folding knife. Police have not stated they found the murder weapon itself so concluding they found a sheath doesn't take a Sherlock Holmes.

Yet, many people will continue to believe that this shows Kohberger at the vigil.
Nonsense. The guy pictured at the vigil was obviously older and he has now come forward.

As for the Pappa Rodgers theory, it will all become apparent in due course as to whether this was Kohberger bragging but there are also any number of law enforcement personnel who might have been unable to resist boasting of otherwise confidential information from the crime scene.

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2023, 03:22 AM   #134
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Nonsense. The guy pictured at the vigil was obviously older and he has now come forward.
Of course it was nonsense as the quoted part in my post above shows. But the point wasn't that it was or wasn't Kohberger; it was the internet sleuthing. There were 853 comments on one DM article on the video alone.

As for the Pappa Rodgers theory, it will all become apparent in due course as to whether this was Kohberger bragging but there are also any number of law enforcement personnel who might have been unable to resist boasting of otherwise confidential information from the crime scene.
Law enforcement was extremely tight-lipped about the case for 6 weeks until they arrested Kohberger on Dec. 30. So much so that they were being criticized for not making progress when, in fact, they were.

That the police were searching for a fixed-blade Ka-Bar style knife was revealed in mid-Dec. The sheath evidence was not revealed until Jan. 5. But like I said, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that a folding knife doesn't have a sheath and, if the police were still looking for the knife, then how did they know it was a fixed-bar Ka-Bar style? Because a sheath would give them that information. Even Jacques Clouseau would have figured that out.
Old 19th January 2023, 08:08 AM   #135
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Update.

The details of items recovered under the search warrant of Kohberger's apartment has now been unsealed.

From CBS News, the items are:

Quote:
A reddish-brown stained pillowcase, hair strands and one nitrite-type black glove were among the items Washington State University Police gathered from the apartment of Bryan Kohberger, the man charged with the murders of four college students slain in an off-campus home in Moscow, Idaho, according to a search warrant unsealed on Wednesday.

An animal hair was also found during the search of Kohberger's apartment, the search warrant said.
AIUI the details were to be left sealed until March to prevent an early end to the investigation. However, the prosecution applied to unseal it 17 Jan and the judge concurred accordingly.

IMV possibly it means DNA tests have already shown probable cause of Kohberger, as a 'too early' unseal was seen to benefit the defence. For example, 'So you found blood stains but no evidence they are linked to the crime.'

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2023, 02:07 PM   #136
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Update.

The details of items recovered under the search warrant of Kohberger's apartment has now been unsealed.

From CBS News, the items are:

AIUI the details were to be left sealed until March to prevent an early end to the investigation. However, the prosecution applied to unseal it 17 Jan and the judge concurred accordingly.

IMV possibly it means DNA tests have already shown probable cause of Kohberger, as a 'too early' unseal was seen to benefit the defence. For example, 'So you found blood stains but no evidence they are linked to the crime.'
If the alleged blood stains (we don't know if they are blood stains yet) have the DNA of any person killed in that house, it will be significant evidence as none of them had ever been in Kohberger's apartment and he'd never been in their house before.

The police also took his computer which could show his search history which could be significant. But as he's a criminal justice Ph.D. student, it could be claimed he was doing research for school.
Old 19th January 2023, 02:43 PM   #137
Suddenly
No Punting

Criminal Justice academics are probably among the most disappointing people to meet at a party.

"Wow! Criminal Justice? Do you like, work murder cases or something? You must have some interesting stories!"

"I analyze data to find out if painting prison walls blue significantly reduces recidivism."

So yeah. I mean, I can see how any Ph.D. student would be driven to madness despite the subject matter, especially one at a midlevel state school who if they graduate has to look forward to starving as an adjunct while being ignored by faculty search committees until they give up and become a probation officer or go to law school.
Suddenly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2023, 04:28 PM   #138
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

The police also took his computer which could show his search history which could be significant. But as he's a criminal justice Ph.D. student, it could be claimed he was doing research for school.
If he was smart he'd be doing his dodgy searches using the browser's private/incognito mode.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2023, 04:33 PM   #139
marting
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
If he was smart he'd be doing his dodgy searches using the browser's private/incognito mode.
Nope. Browser history is collected via the ISP and Google. incognito mode is only useful for limiting cookies and ability to look at history on one's computer.
Old 19th January 2023, 05:25 PM   #140
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Originally Posted by marting View Post
Nope. Browser history is collected via the ISP and Google. incognito mode is only useful for limiting cookies and ability to look at history on one's computer.
Your ISP is not able to see what is happening inside your secure https connection to any website elsewhere.

(The most your ISP can tell is that you have connected to an IP address)

Google cannot tell that you are 'you' unless you log in.

Especially if you use a VPN.

(If you're using a VPN, all your ISP can tell is that you've connected to your VPN provider)
Old 19th January 2023, 06:24 PM   #141
marting
Illuminator

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
Your ISP is not able to see what is happening inside your secure https connection to any website elsewhere.

(The most your ISP can tell is that you have connected to an IP address)

Google cannot tell that you are 'you' unless you log in.

Especially if you use a VPN.

(If you're using a VPN, all your ISP can tell is that you've connected to your VPN provider)
Yes, VPNs do obsure things. But google knows what you (your ip address) searches for and your ISP identifies the specific search whether you log in or not. LE can get them. VPNs makes it harder but there is a time sync factor that can filter out probable searches.

Last edited by marting; 19th January 2023 at 06:25 PM.
marting is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2023, 06:34 PM   #142
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

My husband, who was in InfoSec for over 30 years, says you are both right to a point. The ISP does track the IP and MAC addresses but VPN obscures that making it harder to trace but not impossible. Also, if they have his computer which has not been security wiped, there are traces and historical artifacts remaining on the system. Combining ISP info and browser info with the laptop info can give you significantly accurate data.
Old 19th January 2023, 06:42 PM   #143
marting
Illuminator

BTW, google searches use URLs that identify the search terms. For instance here's the intial search url on FTX and SBF:

https://www.google.com/search?q=ftx+sbf......

So unless using a VPN, LE only needs the IPS data to determine what was searched for. VPNs would encrypt that. But time syncing the vpn accesses with the exiting google accesses should provide a pretty good set of likely searches.
Old 19th January 2023, 07:10 PM   #144
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Just out of curiosity, I use Duckduckgo and Startpage for searches. But it seems like Google tracks me everywhere anyway like sending me reports where my cell phone has tracked me, and I'm sure the bulk of websites I visit intermingle their data with Google.

Then there are all the news articles that record something about me when I write comments in the comment section (under 2 different screen names depending on the site). Those also seem interconnected.

And that's not even mentioning who can see your Ring feed.

Is there really any privacy left?

My apologies to the mods as this is looking like it needs a thread split: 'Who is tracking you?'
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2023, 07:42 PM   #145
marting
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Just out of curiosity, I use Duckduckgo and Startpage for searches. But it seems like Google tracks me everywhere anyway like sending me reports where my cell phone has tracked me, and I'm sure the bulk of websites I visit intermingle their data with Google.

Then there are all the news articles that record something about me when I write comments in the comment section (under 2 different screen names depending on the site). Those also seem interconnected.

And that's not even mentioning who can see your Ring feed.

Is there really any privacy left?

My apologies to the mods as this is looking like it needs a thread split: 'Who is tracking you?'
duckduckgo doesn't embed search terms in the URL like Google does. ISPs can and do collect urls and aggregate and sell it for marketing purposes. So they don't have to go to google to get what you search for.

But what you click on in a duckduckgo search is also available to ISPs. They may not know what you searched for but they know what you clicked on.

Last edited by marting; 19th January 2023 at 07:44 PM.
marting is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2023, 11:34 PM   #146
gabeygoat
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Suddenly View Post

"I analyze data to find out if painting prison walls blue significantly reduces recidivism."
that sounds super interesting to me actually, But, I'm the son of a sociologist and an artist.

maybe I'm a sociopath
Old 20th January 2023, 01:33 AM   #147
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Suddenly View Post
Criminal Justice academics are probably among the most disappointing people to meet at a party.

"Wow! Criminal Justice? Do you like, work murder cases or something? You must have some interesting stories!"

So yeah. I mean, I can see how any Ph.D. student would be driven to madness despite the subject matter, especially one at a midlevel state school who if they graduate has to look forward to starving as an adjunct while being ignored by faculty search committees until they give up and become a probation officer or go to law school.

I'm sceptical he was of PhD material. He was only first year, and recommended by some novice tutor who thought him 'brilliant'.

Old 20th January 2023, 03:40 AM   #148
Blue Mountain

Originally Posted by marting View Post
duckduckgo doesn't embed search terms in the URL like Google does. ISPs can and do collect urls and aggregate and sell it for marketing purposes. So they don't have to go to google to get what you search for.

But what you click on in a duckduckgo search is also available to ISPs. They may not know what you searched for but they know what you clicked on.
Here's what happens when you connect to a secure site, for example:
Code:
https://developers.slashdot.org/story/23/01/19/2113245/microsoft-starts-testing-tabs-in-notepad
  1. Browser asks DNS for an IP address for developers.slashdot.org
  2. DNS responds with (example) 104.18.29.86
  3. Browser makes a connection to port 440 on 104.18.29.86. Note that this point only the IP address is known to the ISP, nothing else.
  4. Browser negotiates encryption parameters (cipher suite and key lengths) with the site
  5. Remainder of session from this point on is encrypted; only the browser and the site can decrypt the traffic
  6. Browser sends request for remainder of URL: GET /story/23/01/19/2113245/microsoft-starts-testing-tabs-in-notepad
I've verified this using tcpdump on Linux and watching the traffic. If you're sufficiently interested and motivated, you can do the same on Windows with Wireshark.

You are quite right in noting that what click on in the search results can be tracked by the ISP, both in the form of DNS requests you make (ISPs generally provide DNS service and can log requests, although with a large ISP the logs will be enormous,) and the IP addresses of the sites you go to as the TCP packets cross their border routers. Nowadays, a lot of traffic is handled by content distribution networks, which may have the effect of obfuscating the site you're actually connecting to.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2023, 06:40 AM   #149
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

There important thing is that even when the communication is encrypted, the rule itself must be plain text and legible by all intermediaries and eavesdroppers of the exchange.

A VPN mitigates this to some degree.
Old 20th January 2023, 09:20 AM   #150
marting
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
Here's what happens when you connect to a secure site, for example:
Code:
https://developers.slashdot.org/story/23/01/19/2113245/microsoft-starts-testing-tabs-in-notepad
  1. Browser asks DNS for an IP address for developers.slashdot.org
  2. DNS responds with (example) 104.18.29.86
  3. Browser makes a connection to port 440 on 104.18.29.86. Note that this point only the IP address is known to the ISP, nothing else.
  4. Browser negotiates encryption parameters (cipher suite and key lengths) with the site
  5. Remainder of session from this point on is encrypted; only the browser and the site can decrypt the traffic
  6. Browser sends request for remainder of URL: GET /story/23/01/19/2113245/microsoft-starts-testing-tabs-in-notepad
I've verified this using tcpdump on Linux and watching the traffic. If you're sufficiently interested and motivated, you can do the same on Windows with Wireshark.
My error. You are quite right. Encryption occurs prior to sending the URL tail. I mostly use Wireshark to troubleshoot my home network and occasionally track malware which can be fun. So google knows the search terms and your IP which the ISP can identify you from but the ISP doesn't know the search terms. Only the domains you connect to. And VPNs obfuscate that.
Old 20th January 2023, 02:46 PM   #151
Blue Mountain

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
There important thing is that even when the communication is encrypted, the rule itself must be plain text and legible by all intermediaries and eavesdroppers of the exchange.

A VPN mitigates this to some degree.
I believe you meant "the URL itself must be plain text." Please refer to my explanation above. The majority of the URL is sent after the encrypted session is established, and thus is not visible to intermediaries.
Old 20th January 2023, 07:32 PM   #152
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I'm sceptical he was of PhD material. He was only first year, and recommended by some novice tutor who thought him 'brilliant'.
Um..no. He was not 'first year' nor did 'some novice tutor' recommend him:

Quote:
Speaking to the Daily Mail, DeSales University Professor Michelle Bolger said she's in a state of shock after learning about the allegations against her former student. "He's a brilliant student," she told the newspaper. "I'm shocked as **** at what he's been accused of. I don't believe it, but I get it." The 33-year-old Bolger has been an Associate Professor at DeSales for the past eight years. She said she taught Kohberger last year (2021) in an online class and even helped him with his master's thesis project. "He was an online student in the criminal justice master's degree program and graduated in June 2022," she revealed.
He was recommended by Prof. Michelle Bolger: Dr. Michelle (Coyne) Bolger received her Ph.D. in Criminal Justice from the University of Cincinnati.

Last edited by Darat; 21st January 2023 at 02:53 AM. Reason: Rule 10 breach in quote
Old 21st January 2023, 01:55 AM   #153
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Kohberger ate at restaurant where two victims worked.
Quote:
In the weeks before the slayings of four University of Idaho students last November, the man now accused of killing them allegedly ate at the restaurant where two of the victims worked.

According to a former employee at the Mad Greek restaurant in Moscow, Idaho, Bryan Kohberger came in at least twice to grab vegan pizza. Two of the victims — Madison Mogen and Xana Kernodle — were servers at the restaurant.
https://people.com/crime/bryan-kohbe...ictims-worked/
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2023, 02:01 AM   #154
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Um..no. He was not 'first year' nor did 'some novice tutor' recommend him:

He was recommended by Prof. Michelle Bolger: Dr. Michelle (Coyne) Bolger received her Ph.D. in Criminal Justice from the University of Cincinnati.
He was first year doctorate. Only just started. Only had an 'online' MA in addition to a bachelors. It is true that he is just one of a couple she has put forward for a PhD on the grounds that she personally found him 'brilliant'. I was led to understand she had only been a tutor for a short while so it is quite possible the news outlet was incorrect in that respect if what you claim is true that she has been teaching for eight years.

Old 21st January 2023, 03:07 AM   #155
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

He was first year doctorate. Only just started.
So?

Quote:
Only had an 'online' MA in addition to a bachelors.
So? It was fully accredited.

Quote:
It is true that he is just one of a couple she has put forward for a PhD on the grounds that she personally found him 'brilliant'. I was led to understand she had only been a tutor for a short while so it is quite possible the news outlet was incorrect in that respect if what you claim is true that she has been teaching for eight years.
What news outlet "led [you] to believe" Dr. Michelle Bolger, who recommended him, was "some novice tutor"?

Quote:
Dr. Michelle (Coyne) Bolger received her Ph.D. in Criminal Justice from the University of Cincinnati. Prior to graduate school, Dr. Bolger worked as a case manager at a men's community residential facility outside of Cincinnati. Her research and teaching interests broadly focus on quantitative analyses surrounding criminological perspectives and predicting behavioral outcomes.
https://www.desales.edu/academics/ou...ichelle-bolger

Quote:
Bolger, 33, who has been an associate professor at DeSales for eight years, said she tutored Kohberger, 28, in an online class last year and helped him with his master’s thesis project.
https://wstpost.com/the-four-time-ki...liant-student/
Old 21st January 2023, 04:18 AM   #156
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

So?

So? It was fully accredited.

What news outlet "led [you] to believe" Dr. Michelle Bolger, who recommended him, was "some novice tutor"?

https://www.desales.edu/academics/ou...ichelle-bolger

https://wstpost.com/the-four-time-ki...liant-student/

You claimed he was not a new PhD student. From your own post, Bolger appeared to be an Associate Professor at some point. The fact that research students help with tutoring doesn't mean they are as long experienced as you appeared to claim, when you said Bolger had been a professor for eight years. In the UK it is not unusual for people to spend up to six years getting their doctorate so eight years as a research student and associate professor is hardly as a highly experienced professor as you claim. Obviously, I am not familiar with the US system but the report I read said Bolger was quite new.

Some bachelors degrees are only two years in the states so I got the impression that Kohberger is not quite the super genius student some people are claiming.

Old 21st January 2023, 04:21 AM   #157
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

From twitter:

Quote:
Nerdy Addict
@SirNerdyAddict
“Brilliant student.”

Michelle Bolger, associate professor at DeSales, and former professor of Bryan Kohberger said the suspect was “one of my best students, ever.”

Bolger states that Kohberger was one of only two students she has recommended to a Ph.D. program.
https://twitter.com/SirNerdyAddict/s...BwcGlIQddBfHfA

So I am unclear what is being disputed by Stacyhs.

Old 21st January 2023, 07:38 AM   #158
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Some bachelors degrees are only two years in the states so I got the impression that Kohberger is not quite the super genius student some people are claiming.

Where did that come from? Cite? Some people might finish early by doubling up over summers, passing subject exams etc. but a standard BA is four years. You can get an associate's degree in two.
Old 21st January 2023, 08:38 AM   #159
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Before entirely dissecting the US higher education system, or even establishing whether calling his professor a "novice tutor" was reasonable, perhaps we could hear the relevance of doubting he was PhD material.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2023, 01:17 PM   #160
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

You claimed he was not a new PhD student.
No, that's not what I was claiming. I interpreted your sentence as meaning he was only a first year student, not a first year Ph.D. student. My bad.

From your own post, Bolger appeared to be an Associate Professor at some point.
No, my links did not say she was an Assoc. Prof. "at some point"; she is a current Assoc. Prof and has been for eight years as stated in my post:
Quote:

The fact that research students help with tutoring doesn't mean they are as long experienced as you appeared to claim, when you said Bolger had been a professor for eight years. In the UK it is not unusual for people to spend up to six years getting their doctorate so eight years as a research student and associate professor is hardly as a highly experienced professor as you claim. Obviously, I am not familiar with the US system but the report I read said Bolger was quite new.
Michelle Coyne Bolger wrote her Ph.D. dissertation in 2015, so hardly "quite new".

False. Bachelors degrees take 4 years going full time. As already stated, taking summer courses, taking more classes per year, maybe getting credit for some 100 level classes for taking AP high school courses can shorten that but there are no Bachelor degree courses that only take two years. You're confusing that with Associate degrees from two year community colleges.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors