IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
View Poll Results: Where do you get your news?
Daily Newspaper, either dead-tree or on line 25 45.45%
Broadcast TV Network -- CBS, NBC, BBC, PBS 15 27.27%
Cable news network -- CNN, Fox, MSNBC 10 18.18%
Social Media -- Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, ISF 26 47.27%
Other internet sources 42 76.36%
Sources outside your country 25 45.45%
Government sources 12 21.82%
The Planet Xians beam it directly into my head 5 9.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21st January 2023, 11:17 AM   #1
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Where do you get your news?

Kind of USA-centric I suppose, but others welcome.
What are your primary and secondary sources for what's going on in the world?

Multi-vote enabled.

Last edited by Trebuchet; 21st January 2023 at 11:22 AM.
Trebuchet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2023, 11:24 AM   #2
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

https://www.sbs.com.au/news
https://www.abc.net.au/
https://www.theguardian.com/au
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2023, 12:00 PM   #3
TomB
Graduate Poster

Mostly from CNN.com. But if something really catches my attention, I try to find as many versions of the story as I can to get alternate viewpoints or additional information.
TomB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2023, 12:04 PM   #4
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

I generally catch wind of a story on social media or whatnot and then search more legitimate news sources for confirmation.
Old 21st January 2023, 12:08 PM   #5
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

BBC news on tv, The Guardian newspaper online.
Old 21st January 2023, 12:20 PM   #6
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Here, for the most part.
Old 21st January 2023, 12:54 PM   #7
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Location: Out back preparing the bunker for the next Civil War
https://www.bbc.com/news
https://www.cbsnews.com/
https://www.fark.com/
Old 21st January 2023, 01:21 PM   #8
ahhell
Philosopher

Mostly various podcasts and the BBC app on my phone.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2023, 01:56 PM   #9
marting
Illuminator

"All the news that fits" - RS
Old 21st January 2023, 02:52 PM   #10
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Here and the BBC mostly.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2023, 03:13 PM   #11
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Here and the BBC mostly.
I counted here as social media, which it kinda is.
Old 21st January 2023, 03:22 PM   #12
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
All of the above plus:

https://slashdot.org (which is a news aggregator/commentary site)
(With a particular focus: 'news for nerds and stuff that matters')
Old 21st January 2023, 03:22 PM   #13
Pulvinar
Graduate Poster

Ars Technica, El Reg, PBS, and skim local TV website for local news.
Oh, and here for the weird stuff.
Any ads and I'll do without.
Pulvinar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2023, 03:44 PM   #14
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Very similar to most people, BBC website, Radio 4, The Guardian, Indie and I use Google News for my tech news and stories.
Old 21st January 2023, 03:51 PM   #15
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
ABC News Australian TV and website/app.
BBC News app. This sends notifications of breaking stories.
Associated Press app.
Reuters app.
Google News app.

Last edited by Orphia Nay; 21st January 2023 at 03:53 PM.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2023, 04:13 PM   #16
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Here and the BBC mostly.
Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Which is why I included ISF in the "social media" poll option!
Old 21st January 2023, 04:42 PM   #17
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Location: Out back preparing the bunker for the next Civil War
Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Forgot to mention, I listen to a lot of NPR.
Old 21st January 2023, 05:03 PM   #18
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Dang, I forgot radio altogether! And it's a significant source of "information" for quite a lot of people!

ETA: Incidentally, my votes were "cable news" and "social media". The former because my wife has them on 24/7 (ok, I exagerate) and the latter because I spend too much time here.

Last edited by Trebuchet; 21st January 2023 at 05:05 PM.
Trebuchet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2023, 06:34 PM   #19
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Out of force of habit, mostly Memeorandum. It was originally a news aggregator that focused on showing which stories were being covered by which (political) bloggers, but nowadays with the blogs being less of a factor it mostly shows which stories are being covered by the various news sites.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2023, 07:13 PM   #20
TomB
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Dang, I forgot radio altogether! And it's a significant source of "information" for quite a lot of people!
I forgot about radio.
I keep my car radio on NPR.
TomB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2023, 09:26 PM   #21
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

I often start with Google News.

https://news.google.com/home?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US:en
Old 22nd January 2023, 12:36 AM   #22
Gulliver Foyle
Muse

The Graun for international news.
The Journal (website) for Irish news and RT… radio 1 for more indepth stuff and analysis.
I will also read articles recommended by posters whose intelligence is demonstrated.
Gulliver Foyle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2023, 10:40 AM   #23
The_Animus
Illuminator

Mostly from articles posted to r/politics, r/technology and r/science with supplementation from various other places like social media, npr, this forum, and satire and comedy shows like the daily show and last week tonight.
The_Animus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2023, 12:26 PM   #24
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

I generally catch wind of a story on social media or whatnot and then search more legitimate news sources for confirmation.
Pretty much this. Youtube, Twitter & ISF mostly. Plus radio news/James O'Brien on LBC.

Mind you my news feed on Youtube is mostly legitimate UK news sources (newspapers & TV channels. Not GBeebies etc)

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2023, 12:54 PM   #25
angrysoba
Philosophile

Mostly internet- Guardian, BBC, social media (Twitter and Reddit plus here of course), other websites generally and of course certain You Tube channels.

Biggest ommisikn from the poll is radio and podcasts
Old 22nd January 2023, 01:02 PM   #26
dann
Penultimate Amazing

For US news, I usually start on YouTube with Stephen Colbert, Seth Meyers, Jimmy Kimmel, Trevor Noah (I wish Jon Stewart would return now that TN has left) and then move on to CNN and MSNBC and whatever else pops up on YouTube.
I subscribe to WP.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2023, 10:03 PM   #27
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
These two, mainly. Also https://the-riotact.com/ for local news. Social media in general, primarily Facebook, is my least reliable source.

For American politics specifically, Colbert and Seth Myers are my primary go-to sources.
Nor all your Tears wash out a Word of it.
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2023, 08:47 AM   #28
The_Animus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by dann View Post
For US news, I usually start on YouTube with Stephen Colbert, Seth Meyers, Jimmy Kimmel, Trevor Noah (I wish Jon Stewart would return now that TN has left) and then move on to CNN and MSNBC and whatever else pops up on YouTube.
I subscribe to WP.
Just in case you didn't know this already.

Jon Stewart does interviews and discussions now on his podcast called "The Problem With Jon Stewart". I watch them on YouTube occasionally and they have some pretty good discussions.
The_Animus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2023, 04:23 PM   #29
mgidm86
Philosopher

Would Fox News fall under the Planet X category?
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2023, 04:55 PM   #30
Nosi
Master Poster

While I use social media for my news, I do have a few select sources there that I trust, I don't just take news from some random.

Hiding from the
Nosi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2023, 04:56 PM   #31
Nosi
Master Poster

Despite its sober face, this forum is definitely social media or a species thereof.

Hiding from the
Nosi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2023, 04:57 PM   #32
Nosi
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Pulvinar View Post
Ars Technica, El Reg, PBS, and skim local TV website for local news.
Oh, and here for the weird stuff.
Any ads and I'll do without.
I use an adblocker, as ads are frequently host to viruses and badware.

Hiding from the
Old 23rd January 2023, 05:21 PM   #33
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Nosi View Post
Despite its sober face, this forum is definitely social media or a species thereof.
Which is why I specifically included it in the Social Media poll option!
Old 23rd January 2023, 07:44 PM   #34
Distracted1
Philosopher

Radio should have been in the poll.

For me, NPR and the local "newsradio" KYW. Also right here- when circumstances allow me to spend time looking at the forum.
Old 25th January 2023, 05:31 PM   #35
Carlotta
Muse

Originally Posted by dann View Post
For US news, I usually start on YouTube with Stephen Colbert, Seth Meyers, Jimmy Kimmel, Trevor Noah
These guys plus the Young Turks and their spin-offs. And my local NPR radio affiliate, which has at least two hours of BBC a day. BBC website to check details. Local TV station site. And here.
Carlotta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2023, 05:59 PM   #36
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Do any of you watch Newsnation?
Because my wife does. A lot. It's supposed to be a really neutral site. Ok, then.
Anchors are pretty much folks formerly with, or fired from other cable networks. Like Chris Cuomo, because hey, since my brother is a serial sexual harasser, why not do a segment with Billo Reilly?
Since they have limited resources, they focus on: Idaho Murders, thought winding down now. Border Crisis!! Crisis!!!! And I forget what else.
Old 25th January 2023, 10:19 PM   #37
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

I am the Listener. The Dark Mother, sweet bride of Sithis, whispers into my mind all I need to know
Old 26th January 2023, 03:59 AM   #38
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by HansMustermann View Post
I am the Listener. The Dark Mother, sweet bride of Sithis, whispers into my mind all I need to know
Fox News then....
Old 26th January 2023, 04:18 AM   #39
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Newspaper, social media (especially for specific events) government for statistics

And the one I didn't see mentioned - radio news in my case BBC World Service in preference to Radio 4

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2023, 04:20 AM   #40
Wudang
BOFH

The Guardian online mainly via their app.
Byline - https://bylinesnetwork.co.uk mainly via their app.
France24 English TV- great for news around the world
Twitter -> Mastodon - especially tech (jwz, cstross etc), UK and politics (OxfordDiplomat etc) and Ukraine (ChrisO etc). As accounts move to Mastodod I drop them on Twitter
Here

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events