ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Deep State conspiracies , QAnon

Old 3rd August 2018, 07:09 AM   #41
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by buka001 View Post
I called this madness.

Hence my original post. Picking up on Qanon followers on twitter etc I could see this was going to go big, given the way many Trump supporters see him as a saviour of America, it wouldn't take much to push their beliefs into the stratosphere.

I know debunking these stories is like a game of whack-a-mole, but seeing some counter points to the perpetual rubbish would be interesting.

Whoever is behind Q is pretty smart.

Knows how to play the base.

Makes them all feel as if they are a part of this "revolution".

One of the fastest growing conspiracy theories I have ever seen.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
I'm hoping the intense crazy scares off the rest from the Trump bandwagon.
Old 3rd August 2018, 07:19 AM   #42
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

"Q" is a Dept. of Energy clearance level. It doesn't have much relevance outside the DOE, since one of the relevant political nuggets is that DOE didn't want to be beholden to others for their security infrastructure. When they were given jurisdiction over the nation's nuclear program they legitimately did the power grab: no DOD or national intelligence interference. They were supposed to be a law unto themselves. And while Q is a high-ish level, it's not "top secret" in any sense that would imply keyword clearance or knowledge of topics outside their direct specialty. When I was working at DOE I was the only one not Q-cleared in my workgroup. It's not as uncommon or special as it seems they want us to believe. Looks to me like another "impress the rubes" ploy combining a nugget or two of fact with a whole lot of reliance on people's preconceptions and misconceptions of how security works.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2018, 07:44 AM   #43
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

I heard about this "theory" a month or so ago during one of my forays to the dark side - that is, Reddit. I poked around the Qanon subreddit a little. Pretty kooky stuff, but also mostly the same repackaged malarkey to which we've all become accustomed. There's a great deal of creepy Trump veneration, which is totally weird and almost too over-the-top to take seriously. I suppose the cult angle is a little extra-disquieting.

I mostly just felt burning hatred for the idiocy on display, tinged with a dash of fear. I thought about starting a thread here, but figured since there wasn't one already, the whole thing must be pretty small and insignificant. Seems it's growing, though - super.
isissxn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2018, 08:22 AM   #44
SuburbanTurkey
Muse

Originally Posted by isissxn View Post
Pretty kooky stuff, but also mostly the same repackaged malarkey to which we've all become accustomed. There's a great deal of creepy Trump veneration, which is totally weird and almost too over-the-top to take seriously.
That's the alt-right conspiracy MO. It's Pizzagate all over again. Some people are gullible idiots and buy the whole thing, some don't believe any of it and are shamelessly trolling, a bunch of people half believe and fall somewhere in between. It's all a big joke until someone takes it too seriously and starts popping off rounds at a pizza joint. It's weaponized bad-faith.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 3rd August 2018 at 08:27 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2018, 08:59 AM   #45
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Praktik View Post
So. Where is the Moon Base Clavius (Moon Hoax debunk source) , the ContrailScience.Com (chemtrail debunking) or the Mark Roberts (9/11) but for debunking Pizzagate/QAnon/The Storm stuff?
Speaking as the author of Clavius I can attest to the giant amount of work it takes to do something like that. Especially to keep it current.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2018, 10:19 AM   #46
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
Don't hold your breath.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2018, 10:21 AM   #47
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
Speaking as the author of Clavius I can attest to the giant amount of work it takes to do something like that. Especially to keep it current.
And ,I repeat, Qanon only really hit the big tme a few days ago. But, in a month or os, we will see the Qanon specific debunking websites springing up.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2018, 10:23 AM   #48
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by isissxn View Post
I heard about this "theory" a month or so ago during one of my forays to the dark side - that is, Reddit. I poked around the Qanon subreddit a little. Pretty kooky stuff, but also mostly the same repackaged malarkey to which we've all become accustomed. There's a great deal of creepy Trump veneration, which is totally weird and almost too over-the-top to take seriously. I suppose the cult angle is a little extra-disquieting.

I mostly just felt burning hatred for the idiocy on display, tinged with a dash of fear. I thought about starting a thread here, but figured since there wasn't one already, the whole thing must be pretty small and insignificant. Seems it's growing, though - super.
I repeat the advice for which I am been heavily criticized;Those who are concerned with the US surviving as a democracy should give serious consideration to buying a rifle. If the Qanon kooks get in postions of power, it might really come to that.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 3rd August 2018, 11:14 AM   #49
SuburbanTurkey
Muse

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I repeat the advice for which I am been heavily criticized;Those who are concerned with the US surviving as a democracy should give serious consideration to buying a rifle. If the Qanon kooks get in postions of power, it might really come to that.
The time to do that would be now. Shooting is a skill that takes practice. Buying a rifle when the world goes to hell is too late.
Old 3rd August 2018, 02:55 PM   #50
Elagabalus
Illuminator

From the pictures they all seem ...eh ....how should I put this delicately ... a bit challenged.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2018, 10:13 AM   #51
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Hey, did you know that Qanon is actually a false flag, dedicated to bring Arabic law to the US? Well, let's start telling them that, at least, and see what happens!
Old 5th August 2018, 10:23 AM   #52
Elagabalus
Illuminator

What about Anon 7 ?
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2018, 11:21 AM   #53
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
If you have 20 minutes, the NYT podcast "The Daily" had a synopsis this morning. It seems like a 2-sided thing, with evildoers plotting against Trump and smuggling children for sex, and Trump being selected to be the leader that takes down the evildoers. Very comic-book like.

https://www.nytimes.com/podcasts/the-daily
Sounds like the whole pizzagate nonsense all over again. I guess the pedophile thing is there to gin up the outrage.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2018, 05:36 PM   #54
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Sounds like the whole pizzagate nonsense all over again. I guess the pedophile thing is there to gin up the outrage.

Well, we've blown that whole, "We all agree that Nazis are bad, right?" thing, so we've got to find someone we can all rally around hating.
Old 6th August 2018, 04:01 AM   #55
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

It doesn't have to scare off everyone from the bandwagon, just a few. The base is the base and it's not going anywhere. Who it may scare off are the lesser of two evils voters. It's those voters in Ohio, Pennsylvania and the I-4 Corridor in Florida who pushed him over the top.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2018, 04:06 AM   #56
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Hey, did you know that Qanon is actually a false flag, dedicated to bring Arabic law to the US? Well, let's start telling them that, at least, and see what happens!
Yeah, we shouldn't tell them the truth, that's it's probably a product of Russia's Internet Research Agency. They won't care.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2018, 04:55 AM   #57
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

I haven’t signed in for over a year, but I saw a segment on a news program and I was so discouraged that I had to post. A reporter asked one of the Q folks demonstrating outside the most recent President Trump speech if she had any evidence to support the theory that this Q stuff is real. She responded “no, but you don’t have any evidence that it’s not real.”

ARRRGGGGG!
Old 6th August 2018, 06:50 AM   #58
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

There's a good chance this is all a prank pulled on MAGAdooks.

Quote:
"Coincidences are hard to ignore," Bui, Cattabriga, and Guglielmi said. "Dispatches signed 'Q' allegedly coming from some dark meanders of top state power, exactly like in our book."

They also pointed to the fact that the Q from the QAnon community is described almost exactly like Luther Blissett used to be described, "an entity of about 10 people that have high security clearance."

One of the most popular theories in the QAnon community is that John F. Kennedy Jr. faked his own death in 1999 and became QAnon, which is also the year Q was first published.

"We can't say for sure that it's an homage," they said. "But one thing is almost certain: our book has something to do with it. It may have started as some sort of, er, 'fan fiction' inspired by our novel, and then quickly became something else."
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2018, 07:54 AM   #59
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Q is a beauty of a Conspiracy, since there is nothing that cannot be interpreted as supporting it. It also gives Trump carte blanche as well as an excuse for total failure.
I tip my hat to the originators.
Old 6th August 2018, 09:34 AM   #60
crescent
Master Poster

Out of curiosity I looked up Qanon groups on Facebook.

Serious crazy, some of these groups have over 1000 posts a day.

From PizzaGate to the Tuscon "Child Trafficking Bunker" to this, it is amazing how much energy people put into this. They stay amped up and motivated continuously, for months and years.

Qanon won't fade away so much as it will just morph into the next thing.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2018, 12:52 PM   #61
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
If true, then this is the Best Prank Ever.
But, if true, time for them to reveal themselves and pull the rug from under the feet to the Qanon beleivers. Punch Line Times, folks.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 6th August 2018, 12:53 PM   #62
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by crescent View Post

From PizzaGate to the Tuscon "Child Trafficking Bunker" to this, it is amazing how much energy people put into this. They stay amped up and motivated continuously, for months and years.

You can say that about every major Conspiracy theory......

Robert Heinlein.
Old 6th August 2018, 12:56 PM   #63
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

But, if true, time for them to reveal themselves and pull the rug from under the feet to the Qanon beleivers. Punch Line Times, folks.
Hard to imagine how they could prove that it was a prank.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2018, 01:13 PM   #64
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Hard to imagine how they could prove that it was a prank.

And even if they did have proof, the sorts of people who would believe this kind of crap would just dismiss it as faked.
Old 6th August 2018, 01:27 PM   #65
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

There are clearly multiple individuals playing at being Q now. Even if the starter revealed it as a prank, it's evolved beyond that into the most insane conspiracy theory active right now and it would be dismissed.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2018, 03:14 PM   #66
Pope130
Master Poster

Originally Posted by crescent View Post

Do you recall the Satanic Child Care stories from the '90s? They almost all featured secret underground tunnels and rooms. There seems to be something about underground bunkers and child abuse that appeals to the paranoid fringe.
Pope130 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2018, 03:21 PM   #67
carlitos
"más divertido"

I heard that JFK and Elvis run a satanic child sex ping pong pizza parlor beneath the Denver airport.

Seriously, child abuse is probably the single worst thing most of us can imagine, so it's logical that this worst-imaginable thing gets projected onto the evildoers. It's just a matter of degree from Jack Abramoff's private jet sex dungeon to killing babies and making passover matzoh from their blood.

Last edited by carlitos; 6th August 2018 at 03:22 PM. Reason: fixed wrong name
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2018, 06:13 PM   #68
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
I heard that JFK and Elvis run a satanic child sex ping pong pizza parlor beneath the Denver airport.

Seriously, child abuse is probably the single worst thing most of us can imagine, so it's logical that this worst-imaginable thing gets projected onto the evildoers. It's just a matter of degree from Jack Abramoff's private jet sex dungeon to killing babies and making passover matzoh from their blood.
The really disturbing possibility is that they may believe the pedophilia aspects out of projection of their own thoughts.
Old 7th August 2018, 06:00 AM   #69
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

This, from The Guardian:

How Journalists Should Not Cover an Online Conspiracy Theory

Bottom Line:
Quote:
We should all be worried. But what we should be most worried about is the fact that too many journalists have continued to respond “how high?” when media manipulators demand that they jump.
Old 7th August 2018, 07:29 AM   #70
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Pope130 View Post
Do you recall the Satanic Child Care stories from the '90s? They almost all featured secret underground tunnels and rooms. There seems to be something about underground bunkers and child abuse that appeals to the paranoid fringe.
It used to be homosexuals which where equivalent with satanists sacrificing virgin girls.
Nowadays, that is simply not shocking enough, which is why the stories are usually not about teenagers, but babies being sacrificed.
Old 7th August 2018, 03:01 PM   #71
beachnut
Penultimate Amazing

Why not ask Q?

beachnut is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2018, 04:26 PM   #72
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

The best description I've seen is "Q is Pokemon for dip *****."

Chesley B. Sullenberger III
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2018, 05:24 AM   #73
kellyb
Philosopher

They seem to want a Messiah. It's pretty sad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vw9N96E-aQ

https://www.reddit.com/r/greatawaken...e_mockingbird/

Last edited by kellyb; 11th August 2018 at 05:33 AM.
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2018, 03:42 PM   #74
chrispy
Muse

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
Wow. That youtube video is bonkers. The comments are shocking. Lots of talk about god using Trump to eradicate evil and "forces of darkness". WTF is going on in the US?
chrispy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2018, 08:36 PM   #75
beachnut
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by chrispy View Post
Wow. That youtube video is bonkers. The comments are shocking. Lots of talk about god using Trump to eradicate evil and "forces of darkness". WTF is going on in the US?
A plot to make the Wall superfluous. Who wants to come to trump Q crazy land?
beachnut is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2018, 09:26 PM   #76
kellyb
Philosopher

Almost half the country has been thoroughly brainwashed by hate radio and Fox over 30 years now. All their old narratives about who the bad guys are (communists, non-Christians, liberals) have fallen apart, so they're flying solo trying to make sense of the world now.

In short, the wingnuts are on facebook and redditt and youtube now and have discovered the weird world of conspiracy theories in a pretty epic way.

I'm starting to think Cass Sunstein was right about "cascades" of faulty information within groups" and how scary it is.

Where do I apply with the Deep State to become a..."re-information" operative and talk these guys down from the ledge? LOL
Old 12th August 2018, 12:00 AM   #77
chrispy
Muse

Yeah, Seeing it from outside of the US was one thing, but I've been back in the States now for a few months before heading back South of the border and it has been amazing to see first-hand. Lunacy and non-critical thinking are being applauded and celebrated as being their exact opposites. As my dad recently said to me, " This whole thing, this whole ******* thing, it's...it's...it's ******* la-la-land. I don't know what else to say".
chrispy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2018, 07:34 AM   #78
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
Almost half the country has been thoroughly brainwashed by hate radio and Fox over 30 years now. All their old narratives about who the bad guys are (communists, non-Christians, liberals) have fallen apart, so they're flying solo trying to make sense of the world now.

In short, the wingnuts are on facebook and redditt and youtube now and have discovered the weird world of conspiracy theories in a pretty epic way.

I'm starting to think Cass Sunstein was right about "cascades" of faulty information within groups" and how scary it is.

Where do I apply with the Deep State to become a..."re-information" operative and talk these guys down from the ledge? LOL
The Deep State is just a rebranded NWO, LLC subsidiary. You can still apply via our careers website. Generous health care package!
Old 12th August 2018, 07:37 AM   #79
bknight
Graduate Poster

Not the entire country, just one man's opinion.
bknight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2018, 09:04 AM   #80
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
And even if they did have proof, the sorts of people who would believe this kind of crap would just dismiss it as faked.
Indeed, just like the crop circles.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories