ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 2nd October 2018, 08:33 PM   #41
Imadeyouthink
New Blood
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Oshkosh Wisconsin
Posts: 21
I do have a sense that Moon hoax CT's are also flat earthers or is it my imagination?
Imadeyouthink is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2018, 10:36 PM   #42
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains
 
Travis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 23,623
Yeah they frequently become "no spacers" who allege we've never even been into orbit because space is fake or something.
__________________
"Because WE ARE IGNORANT OF 911 FACTS, WE DEMAND PROOF" -- Douglas Herman on Rense.com
Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2018, 04:12 AM   #43
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing
 
Captain_Swoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 18,116
Quite a few flat earthers even insist gravity is a hoax.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2018, 06:07 AM   #44
Abooga
Muse
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 720
Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
Really?

His name was Neil.
Yup. "Neil. A" which backwards spells "Alien"

Abooga is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2018, 06:33 AM   #45
Dr.Sid
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Olomouc, Czech Republic
Posts: 1,670
You see ? Hoaxers were right. We didn't go to the Moon. Aliens did.
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2018, 08:39 AM   #46
CORed
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Central City, Colorado, USA
Posts: 8,395
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Yeah they frequently become "no spacers" who allege we've never even been into orbit because space is fake or something.
If you're a flat earther, you've got to find a way to discount all of those pictures of the earth taken from space that unequivocally show it to be a ball, so, generally speaking, flat earthers claim that all of those pictures are fakes. Also, of course, orbiting the earth doesn't really fit into their cosmology, so the easiest thing is to dismiss anything NASA does as fake. I think close to 100% of flat earthers would deny that we went to the moon. I'm not so sure what the percentage of moon hoax believers that are also flat earthers would be. Of course, it seems that most CT's believe in more than one conspiracy theory, so I suppose there is quite a bit of overlap.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2018, 06:34 PM   #47
332nd
Penultimate Amazing
 
332nd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,268
Originally Posted by CORed View Post
If you're a flat earther, you've got to find a way to discount all of those pictures of the earth taken from space that unequivocally show it to be a ball, so, generally speaking, flat earthers claim that all of those pictures are fakes. Also, of course, orbiting the earth doesn't really fit into their cosmology, so the easiest thing is to dismiss anything NASA does as fake. I think close to 100% of flat earthers would deny that we went to the moon. I'm not so sure what the percentage of moon hoax believers that are also flat earthers would be. Of course, it seems that most CT's believe in more than one conspiracy theory, so I suppose there is quite a bit of overlap.
When I get bored, I've taken a shine to finding the moon hoax/flat earthers who think the moon is inside of that magical dome & asking them...

"If it's that close, why haven't we gone to it?"
__________________
The poster formerly known as Redtail
332nd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2018, 11:39 PM   #48
Major Major
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 294
Originally Posted by CORed View Post
If you're a flat earther, you've got to find a way to discount all of those pictures of the earth taken from space that unequivocally show it to be a ball, so, generally speaking, flat earthers claim that all of those pictures are fakes. Also, of course, orbiting the earth doesn't really fit into their cosmology, so the easiest thing is to dismiss anything NASA does as fake.
They also claim, as I recall, that airplane windows are specially ground so that the earth appears curved from altitude.

I recall the poster here, a few years ago, who flatly refused to believe any explanation of why it took the same time to fly a given distance east to west as it did flying west to east. No matter what explanation was given him, he dismissed it with some arcane reasoning.

Major Major is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2018, 01:26 AM   #49
Cosmic Yak
Master Poster
 
Cosmic Yak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Posts: 2,390
Originally Posted by Major Major View Post
They also claim, as I recall, that airplane windows are specially ground so that the earth appears curved from altitude.

I recall the poster here, a few years ago, who flatly refused to believe any explanation of why it took the same time to fly a given distance east to west as it did flying west to east. No matter what explanation was given him, he dismissed it with some arcane reasoning.

Was that Daniel?

He was funny. Anyone remember Danielscience? His own version of the scientific method that bore very little relation to actual science, and which was supported by bluster and quote-mining.
It seems a lot of the flat-earthers start with the Bible (or, in some cases, the Quran), and work backwards. I wonder (sometimes, not often, better things to do) why they fixate on this, and not, say, on proving that insects really do have four legs or that the value of Pi is in fact 3. What is is about the idea of a flat earth that they find so appealing?
__________________
Fortuna Faveat Fatuis
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2018, 01:31 AM   #50
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing
 
Captain_Swoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 18,116
They are paranoid and think everything they are told is part of a plot. Apollo and Flat Earth are connected and the biggest part of the lie.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2018, 06:57 AM   #51
MattNelson
Scholar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 53
A new YouTube feature in the U.S. shows an "Information panel" beneath certain videos. Quoting YouTube:

Quote:
Information panel providing topical context
Note: This feature is currently available only in the United States.
Users may see information from third parties, including Encyclopedia Britannica and Wikipedia, alongside videos on a small number of well-established historical and scientific topics that have often been subject to misinformation online, like the moon landing.
(emphasis added)

An info panel appears beneath many/most[?] videos on 9/11 also. For example, on my "Airplane Debris, WTC 9/11" video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCyBtXLI8U4

The YouTube quote above can be found when you click "Why am I seeing this?" in the drop-down menu at right in the info box.
MattNelson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2018, 09:04 AM   #52
bknight
Graduate Poster
 
bknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 1,002
Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
Was that Daniel?

He was funny. Anyone remember Danielscience? His own version of the scientific method that bore very little relation to actual science, and which was supported by bluster and quote-mining.
It seems a lot of the flat-earthers start with the Bible (or, in some cases, the Quran), and work backwards. I wonder (sometimes, not often, better things to do) why they fixate on this, and not, say, on proving that insects really do have four legs or that the value of Pi is in fact 3. What is is about the idea of a flat earth that they find so appealing?
It may have been Daniel, but the most recent isn't him I can't remember his handle but he refused to believe the Earth was rotating .


Found the name thewholesoul.

Last edited by bknight; 26th October 2018 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Found poster
bknight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2018, 11:18 AM   #53
sts60
Illuminator
 
sts60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,051
Originally Posted by Major Major View Post
They also claim, as I recall, that airplane windows are specially ground so that the earth appears curved from altitude.
Over on Cosmoquest, there was a guy by the handle Solon who insisted you couldn’t actually see or photograph visible light outside the ionosphere. When confronted with a jillion images taken by spacecraft, he popped smoke and flares wildly in all directions, with some of the finest physics word salad you’ve ever seen.

He claimed the Shuttles’ forward windows were etched with a special “grating” that allowed stars, the Earth, the Sun, etc. to be seen by the crew inside.

He was never able to explain why all the astronomers, physicists, astronauts, spacecraft engineers, mission operators, etc. around the world had all conspired through the decades to keep this amazing fact under wraps.
sts60 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2018, 11:52 AM   #54
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing
 
Captain_Swoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 18,116
Originally Posted by sts60 View Post

He was never able to explain why all the astronomers, physicists, astronauts, spacecraft engineers, mission operators, etc. around the world had all conspired through the decades to keep this amazing fact under wraps.
usually something to do with it allowing people to Deny God.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2018, 11:56 PM   #55
threadworm
Graduate Poster
 
threadworm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,544
Originally Posted by sts60 View Post
Over on Cosmoquest, there was a guy by the handle Solon who insisted you couldn’t actually see or photograph visible light outside the ionosphere. When confronted with a jillion images taken by spacecraft, he popped smoke and flares wildly in all directions, with some of the finest physics word salad you’ve ever seen.

He claimed the Shuttles’ forward windows were etched with a special “grating” that allowed stars, the Earth, the Sun, etc. to be seen by the crew inside.

He was never able to explain why all the astronomers, physicists, astronauts, spacecraft engineers, mission operators, etc. around the world had all conspired through the decades to keep this amazing fact under wraps.

Sounds like a poster on ATS who argued the same thing. He would act as gatekeeper in a discussion and try and impose rigorous and what he hoped would be impossible to meet standards on acceptable evidence. It usually ended with something like 'only photos taken upside down by a redhead on a Wednesday afternoon in a leap year' would be adequate proof. Like flat Earthers I suspect he didn't want to prove his point, just that he could win an argument.
__________________
Facts are simple and facts are straight, facts are lazy and facts are late, facts don't come with points of view, facts don't do what I want them to.

**************************

Apollo Hoax Debunked
threadworm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2018, 01:48 AM   #56
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing
 
Captain_Swoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 18,116
Like Flat Earthers. They dismiss any visual evidence presented as CGI and discount it.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2018, 08:19 AM   #57
bknight
Graduate Poster
 
bknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 1,002
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Like Flat Earthers. They dismiss any visual evidence presented as CGI and discount it.
Yes just like the idiot that road his rocket to ~2500' and couldn't see any curvature.
bknight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2018, 02:45 AM   #58
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing
 
Captain_Swoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 18,116
A new thing I see appearing among the 'Flat Earthers' apart from their disbelief of Apollo and all space flight in general (No such thing as space on their flat earth) IS a belief that jet engines don't need fuel. They just use air and the whole jet fuel thing is part of the conspiracy.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2018, 08:26 AM   #59
bknight
Graduate Poster
 
bknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 1,002
Free Energy?
bknight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2018, 05:21 PM   #60
njslim
Graduate Poster
 
njslim's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,071
Upcoming 50 year anniversary of first, Apollo 8 (December ) and Apollo 11 (next July) is bringing them out from their rocks or mommy's basemen

At ABOVETOPSECRET forum get these clowns popping up - other posters jump on them
quickly

Find that many are Flt earthers to boot

Just had one of them come out of woodwork explaining how space suits don't work in vacuum

Attempted to explain to this cretin how the ice sublime heat exchanger works

He ignored us and continued to post nonsense

Maybe want to come over a give a look

its in SPACE EXPLORATION forum at abovetopsecret.com
njslim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2018, 07:40 AM   #61
bknight
Graduate Poster
 
bknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 1,002
Originally Posted by njslim View Post
Upcoming 50 year anniversary of first, Apollo 8 (December ) and Apollo 11 (next July) is bringing them out from their rocks or mommy's basemen

At ABOVETOPSECRET forum get these clowns popping up - other posters jump on them
quickly

Find that many are Flt earthers to boot

Just had one of them come out of woodwork explaining how space suits don't work in vacuum

Attempted to explain to this cretin how the ice sublime heat exchanger works

He ignored us and continued to post nonsense

Maybe want to come over a give a look

its in SPACE EXPLORATION forum at abovetopsecret.com
The argument from incredulity is used a lot in discussions concerning Apollo, as those individuals not verse in science (physics mostly) or technology get lost very quickly when attempting to understand the complex nature of the program. I've run onto more than my share, gone looking for them, but never have gotten one to agree/understand. I'll pass on this site as I tire of the constant willful ignorance displayed, unless they poke their heads into the forums that I am a member of.
bknight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2018, 10:49 AM   #62
njslim
Graduate Poster
 
njslim's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,071
Yes we have hoaxers/flat earthers regularly show up to argue that Van Allen radiation belts would prevent a moon trip or even orbiting earth

We point out the NASA carefully choice a path to avoid the most hazardous parts of the belts and that the trip only took few hours as spacecraft was moving at 25.000 mph
(both inbound and outbound) which would limit exposure

Another favorite is that the temperature of space is too hot - that air molecules around
earth have a temp of 17000 K - true from standpoint of kinetic energy, but that there
are so few that no heat is transferred
njslim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2018, 03:29 PM   #63
Halcyon Dayz
Critical Thinker
 
Halcyon Dayz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nederland - Sol III
Posts: 323
Originally Posted by njslim View Post
Another favorite is that the temperature of space is too hot - that air molecules around
earth have a temp of 17000 K - true from standpoint of kinetic energy, but that there
are so few that no heat is transferred
IOW they don't understand the difference between temperature and heat.

Being scientifically illiterate is pretty much a requirement for being a hoax believer.
__________________
An idea is not responsible for the people who believe in it. -- Don Marquis
Join the Illuminati
Halcyon Dayz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2018, 10:31 AM   #64
bknight
Graduate Poster
 
bknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 1,002
Originally Posted by Halcyon Dayz View Post
IOW they don't understand the difference between temperature and heat.

Being scientifically illiterate is pretty much a requirement for being a hoax believer.
Your observation is probably correct, however the value 17000 K seems a lot inflated as
https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...9QEwAHoECAoQBg

Gives around 120 Celsius which is about a tad shy of 400 Kelvin
bknight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2018, 07:35 AM   #65
azzthom
Muse
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Oxfordshire
Posts: 937
From the excellent British sketch show 'That Mitchell and Webb Look'

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sE-tpiAiiHo
__________________
"To thine own self be true" - Polonius, Hamlet
"Beer is proof that God loves me and wants me to be Happy" - Benjamin Franklin
"A hypothesis that cannot be falsified is merely a superstition" - Me.
azzthom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2018, 03:48 AM   #66
MBDK
New Blood
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 2
Originally Posted by bknight View Post
Your observation is probably correct, however the value 17000 K seems a lot inflated
Perhaps an extra zero was unintentionally added. From the University Corporation for Atmospheric Research website under atmosphere-layers (I am not yet allowed to post links) -

"Temperatures in the upper thermosphere can range from about 500° C (932° F) to 2,000° C (3,632° F) or higher."
MBDK is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2018, 05:58 AM   #67
bknight
Graduate Poster
 
bknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 1,002
Originally Posted by MBDK View Post
Perhaps an extra zero was unintentionally added. From the University Corporation for Atmospheric Research website under atmosphere-layers (I am not yet allowed to post links) -

"Temperatures in the upper thermosphere can range from about 500° C (932° F) to 2,000° C (3,632° F) or higher."
You'll get there about(12-20) posts. Thanks for the info.
bknight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2018, 07:42 AM   #68
rambaldi
Thinker
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 241
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Apollo and Flat Earth are connected and the biggest part of the lie.
Sure they are... and there is also some secret reason it's 9/11 and Apollo 11
rambaldi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2018, 11:38 AM   #69
bknight
Graduate Poster
 
bknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 1,002
Originally Posted by rambaldi View Post
Sure they are... and there is also some secret reason it's 9/11 and Apollo 11
And your point is ?
bknight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2018, 04:38 AM   #70
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing
 
PhantomWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 17,751
Originally Posted by bknight View Post
And your point is ?
Judging by his other posts, I'm going with.... sarcasm.
__________________

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2018, 01:01 PM   #71
sts60
Illuminator
 
sts60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,051
Originally Posted by bknight View Post
The argument from incredulity is used a lot in discussions concerning Apollo, as those individuals not verse in science (physics mostly) or technology get lost very quickly when attempting to understand the complex nature of the program. I've run onto more than my share, gone looking for them, but never have gotten one to agree/understand. I'll pass on this site as I tire of the constant willful ignorance displayed, unless they poke their heads into the forums that I am a member of.
Argument from incredulity is very powerful, emotionally speaking. I’ve spent a fair amount of time around flight hardware, and seen a passel of launches, and I still have a hard time believing it all works after 25+ years in the business.
sts60 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2018, 01:28 AM   #72
Cosmic Yak
Master Poster
 
Cosmic Yak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Posts: 2,390
Originally Posted by sts60 View Post
I’ve spent a fair amount of time around flight hardware, and seen a passel of launches, and I still have a hard time believing it all works after 25+ years in the business.
Be ready to see this quote posted all over CT sites.
"NASA flight expert scientist doesn't believe launches work!!!!! 100% positive proof of NASA lies exposed by whistleblower!!!"


Are you prepared for this level of notoriety?
__________________
Fortuna Faveat Fatuis
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2018, 11:34 PM   #73
sts60
Illuminator
 
sts60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,051
Ha, I used to engage with hoax believers here and a few other places, but they’ve mostly disappeared from the web sites I’ve frequented. And I have better things to do than argue with some grunting morons on Youtube’s gawdawful comments sections, let alone watch idiot videos to get to them.
sts60 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2018, 03:54 AM   #74
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing
 
Captain_Swoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 18,116
Originally Posted by sts60 View Post
Ha, I used to engage with hoax believers here and a few other places, but they’ve mostly disappeared from the web sites I’ve frequented. And I have better things to do than argue with some grunting morons on Youtube’s gawdawful comments sections, let alone watch idiot videos to get to them.
They hang out on twitter now. Spamming anti NASA and Flat Earth memes on to any thread that mentions space.

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 2nd December 2018 at 03:55 AM.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2018, 05:24 PM   #75
sts60
Illuminator
 
sts60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,051
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
They hang out on twitter now. Spamming anti NASA and Flat Earth memes on to any thread that mentions space.
I’m not on Twitter. Not missing out, apparently.
sts60 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2018, 10:45 AM   #76
bknight
Graduate Poster
 
bknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 1,002
Originally Posted by sts60 View Post
I’m not on Twitter. Not missing out, apparently.
I've got a Twitter account, but don't any threads that might link to space/FE, so I'm missing out also.
bknight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2018, 08:03 PM   #77
sackett
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Detroit
Posts: 5,316
Mars landing hoaxes are also a thing. NASA has more than one see-crut agenda, I guess.

Well hell, those red rocks & dirt look a lot like east-central Wyoming, ya gotta admit that.
__________________
Fill the seats of justice with good men; not so absolute in goodness as to forget what human frailty is. -- Thomas Jefferson

What region of the earth is not filled with our calamities? -- Virgil
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2018, 08:38 PM   #78
bknight
Graduate Poster
 
bknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 1,002
Originally Posted by sackett View Post
Mars landing hoaxes are also a thing. NASA has more than one see-crut agenda, I guess.

Well hell, those red rocks & dirt look a lot like east-central Wyoming, ya gotta admit that.
I thought it was Greenland?
bknight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2018, 07:47 PM   #79
sts60
Illuminator
 
sts60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,051
Some of my engineering work is rolling slowly around Mars right now. I feel sorry for people who need to cling to ignorance for gratification.

To be clear, I was part of a team that influenced the design of Curiosity’s generator. I’m not saying I was a major part of making the rover a reality. But, yeah, it’s gratifying to be a bit player on something so cool. I can’t empathize with the mindset that would rather have it all be a hoax; what a cramped and dreary outlook.
sts60 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2018, 08:37 PM   #80
Pope130
Master Poster
 
Pope130's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Oregon
Posts: 2,819
Originally Posted by sts60 View Post
Some of my engineering work is rolling slowly around Mars right now. I feel sorry for people who need to cling to ignorance for gratification.

To be clear, I was part of a team that influenced the design of Curiosity’s generator. I’m not saying I was a major part of making the rover a reality. But, yeah, it’s gratifying to be a bit player on something so cool. I can’t empathize with the mindset that would rather have it all be a hoax; what a cramped and dreary outlook.
Congratulations on being part of a great accomplishment. I had a much smaller part in the space program, that I brag about nonetheless.

My C-130 and I sat ramp alert for emergency recovery on STS-43. Eleven days sitting on the ground at Banjul Gambia with a CCRC in the back and four SEAL rescue swimmers and a Flight Surgeon.
Pope130 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:28 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.