IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Easter incidents , Trump controversies

Old 19th April 2017, 09:41 AM   #121
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by ddt View Post
What's stopping you? Hurl a rock into Canada and they have a casus belli!

Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
I lol'd.
So did I. Comedy helps me survive difficult times. My marriage also helps.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 09:46 AM   #122
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
My sister just told me that this is fake news - video footage exists that shows Trump tossed the hat such that the boy actually managed to catch it himseld.

Haven't seen the evidence yet. Just thought it belongs in this thread more than the recent detour.

I'm interested in a link as well if you come across one.
I read one poster elsewhere making that claim, though without the claimed video.

If true, it'd be possibly the first correct usage I've seen of "fake news" by this admin.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 10:05 AM   #123
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

My sister just told me that this is fake news - video footage exists that shows Trump tossed the hat such that the boy actually managed to catch it himseld.

Haven't seen the evidence yet. Just thought it belongs in this thread more than the recent detour.
Nope, not fake news, and he actually did it twice:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/donald-trump-throws-hat-easter-egg-roll-child-wants-it-signed-us-president-video-a7687796.html

(ETA: Just for grins, ask your sister where she heard that it was "fake news.")

Last edited by WilliamSeger; 19th April 2017 at 10:10 AM.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 10:28 AM   #124
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/donald-trump-throws-hat-easter-egg-roll-child-wants-it-signed-us-president-video-a7687796.html

They probably have video where he actually threw it back to a kid that gave it to him. Doesn't mean the other ones didn't occur.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 10:51 AM   #125
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

You are merely repeating the claim, but the video in the link doesn't actually support it: The video does not show who caught the hat - it is tossed off-screen.

The claim my sister makes is that the same boy who handed Trump the hat did in fact catch his own hat after the President had signed and tossed it. You did nothing to refute that. But it's true. And here is the evidence:
https://twitter.com/MicahGrimes/stat...ppe-zurueck%2F

Last edited by Oystein; 19th April 2017 at 10:53 AM.
Oystein is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 11:18 AM   #126
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

You are merely repeating the claim, but the video in the link doesn't actually support it: The video does not show who caught the hat - it is tossed off-screen.

The claim my sister makes is that the same boy who handed Trump the hat did in fact catch his own hat after the President had signed and tossed it. You did nothing to refute that. But it's true. And here is the evidence:
In both videos, you can see that Trump doesn't even look to see where the kid was: he signs the hat and immediately tosses it high in the air. In the second video you can see the kid lunge through the crowd and catch it, but you can't seriously claim that Trump was tossing it to him. Anyway, he got his hat back, but Trump did the same thing again. The second video doesn't show that.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 11:19 AM   #127
mgidm86
Philosopher

Watched the video.

The kid stretched and leaned over toward the barrier so he could hand Trump the hat. He wasn't in front.

Trump tossed the hat back, and watched it come down in the kids hand (he had to reach a little). This is very clear. Trump also seemed to acknowledge that the kid caught it.

Quote:
spindrift
They probably have video where he actually threw it back to a kid that gave it to him. Doesn't mean the other ones didn't occur.
Without evidence, that's exactly what it means.

This is the latest controversy?

ETA:
Ah I see now, the Egg Hunt wasn't a disaster so people are trying to dig up anything they can. This is silly.

Last edited by mgidm86; 19th April 2017 at 11:22 AM.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 11:23 AM   #128
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
It's not the latest. It's been know for quite some time that Trump can be a prick.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 11:28 AM   #129
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

In both videos, you can see that Trump doesn't even look to see where the kid was: he signs the hat and immediately tosses it high in the air. In the second video you can see the kid lunge through the crowd and catch it, but you can't seriously claim that Trump was tossing it to him. Anyway, he got his hat back, but Trump did the same thing again. The second video doesn't show that.
The first doesn't show that he didn't throw it back to the rightful owner, you merely imagine that he tossed it away.
You are seeing what you want to see.

The story, as first reported here, and picked up eagerly and gleefully by Trump-critical media, was that Trump threw the hat away and deprived the boy of his signed hat.
You now see that the story was wrong.
What keeps you from acknowledging that the story was wrong, period?

I find Trump as despicable and incompetent as the next liberal, so I would be susceptible to the same bias, but to me, actually, in the second video Trump appears to be tossing the hat to the right boy with deliberate aim.

William, I had actually expected that you would reply briefly with "I stand corrected, thank you", or something to that effect. Instead, you hang on to the unsupported claim that he threw at least the second hat away. You kid yourself.
Old 19th April 2017, 11:29 AM   #130
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

Watched the video.

The kid stretched and leaned over toward the barrier so he could hand Trump the hat. He wasn't in front.

Trump tossed the hat back, and watched it come down in the kids hand (he had to reach a little). This is very clear. Trump also seemed to acknowledge that the kid caught it.

ETA:
Ah I see now, the Egg Hunt wasn't a disaster so people are trying to dig up anything they can. This is silly.
Well, I thought it was interesting because it looks like Trump forgot what he was doing, like when he walked out of the EO signing without signing.
Old 19th April 2017, 11:31 AM   #131
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

ETA:
This is my impression also. And mind you, I had hoped and wished and expected the Egg Hunt to turn out an embarrassing failure.
Old 19th April 2017, 11:32 AM   #132
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Well, I thought it was interesting because it looks like Trump forgot what he was doing, like when he walked out of the EO signing without signing.
Except that it doesn't look that way, when seen from a different vantage point. Unless you dearly want it to look that way.
Old 19th April 2017, 11:52 AM   #133
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

The story, as first reported here, and picked up eagerly and gleefully by Trump-critical media, was that Trump threw the hat away and deprived the boy of his signed hat.
You now see that the story was wrong.
What keeps you from acknowledging that the story was wrong, period?
Well, the story I linked to doesn't actually say that and neither did I, and what I see in both videos is Trump doing exactly what the story says: tossing it high in the air instead of handing it back to the kid. If he was trying to toss it back to the kid, then he must have been relying on the Force.

And as I said above, it's not totally trivial because I have serious doubts about Trump's mental health.
Old 19th April 2017, 12:32 PM   #134
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Watched the video.

ETA:
So is your blind support for anything that Trump does.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 12:44 PM   #135
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

...what I see ... because I have serious doubts about Trump's mental health.
Yes, I understand. It's called "bias".
Old 19th April 2017, 01:08 PM   #136
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

Yes, I understand. It's called "bias".
Oh, you certainly won't hear me claiming to be unbiased, especially toward Trump, but you'll need at least one more video to convince me that Trump was intentionally trying to boomerang the hat back to the kid.
Old 19th April 2017, 01:39 PM   #137
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Snopes is on the case.
Quote:
But NBC Nightly News social media editor Micah Grimes responded with a second video of the same incident, shot from a different angle:...

In that video, it’s clear that the president did not throw the boy’s hat into the crowd. Instead, President Trump signed the hat and returned it to the boy by playfully tossing it to him. The original video angle was misleading, causing many to believe that President Trump had bullied the boy when he was simply engaging the crowd of attendees at the White House event in a routine way.
Not only is it clear in the second video that the kid who handed Trump the hat (lavender shirt, whitish pants) caught the hat, he's seen leaving with a big grin on his face and the hat. You can hear him turn back and say, "Thank you."

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 19th April 2017 at 01:43 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 02:39 PM   #138
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Snopes is on the case.

Not only is it clear in the second video that the kid who handed Trump the hat (lavender shirt, whitish pants) caught the hat, he's seen leaving with a big grin on his face and the hat. You can hear him turn back and say, "Thank you."
Assuming this is actual fake news, as it may well be, I'm put in mind of the kid who cried "Wolf!".

Has Trump tweeted on this yet?

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150

Last edited by CapelDodger; 19th April 2017 at 02:41 PM.
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 03:06 PM   #139
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

Snopes is on the case.

And again, neither I nor the article I linked to claimed that Trump "bullied" the boy, and the "playfully tossing it to him" interpretation would be a lot more convincing if Trump had at least glanced toward the kid before tossing the hat 5 or 6 feet in the air in the wrong direction, and the kid hadn't shouted "No!" and lunged though the crowd to catch it.

Anyway, if my interpretation is correct -- that it was a "senior moment" where he simply forgot what he was doing -- then there should be ample evidence -- like maybe forgetting which country he bombed.
Old 19th April 2017, 03:48 PM   #140
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

And again, neither I nor the article I linked to claimed that Trump "bullied" the boy, and the "playfully tossing it to him" interpretation would be a lot more convincing if Trump had at least glanced toward the kid before tossing the hat 5 or 6 feet in the air in the wrong direction, and the kid hadn't shouted "No!" and lunged though the crowd to catch it.

Anyway, if my interpretation is correct -- that it was a "senior moment" where he simply forgot what he was doing -- then there should be ample evidence -- like maybe forgetting which country he bombed.
I heard nothing about any bullying until I looked at links today. It's a stupid charge even if Trump had tossed the hat to the crowd.

Bottom line, many many sources claimed Trump tossed the hat into the crowd, and that just did not happen. It wasn't a senior moment. Watch the second video at the Snopes link. Trump tossed the hat up, the kid did have to reach over the barrier to catch it, which he did, then both the kid and Trump enjoyed the moment.

It wasn't five feet in the air and yes, Trump did look at the kid.

WATCH THE SECOND VIDEO.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 19th April 2017 at 03:52 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 04:17 PM   #141
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

It wasn't five feet in the air and yes, Trump did look at the kid.

WATCH THE SECOND VIDEO.
Excuse me, but I have watched it several times. The kid is at about his 10-o'clock, and Trump does not look in that direction. He holds the hat straight up in front of him for a fraction of a second, looks at it and then gives it a toss that goes well out of frame -- my 5-foot estimate was intentionally conservative. When the kid lunges to his left to catch it, Trump then looks in that direction and points at the kid like "Oh yeah, that was your hat, wasn't it."

You can disagree, but that doesn't make it "fake news."
Old 19th April 2017, 09:22 PM   #142
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Snopes is on the case.

You can't believe them. Everyone knows that Snopes are shameless liberal leftists who twist everything in the leftists' favor.

Completely untrustworthy source.

Just ask any conservative.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 10:11 PM   #143
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Excuse me, but I have watched it several times. The kid is at about his 10-o'clock, and Trump does not look in that direction. He holds the hat straight up in front of him for a fraction of a second, looks at it and then gives it a toss that goes well out of frame -- my 5-foot estimate was intentionally conservative. When the kid lunges to his left to catch it, Trump then looks in that direction and points at the kid like "Oh yeah, that was your hat, wasn't it."

You can disagree, but that doesn't make it "fake news."
Even given your scenario, Trump tosses the hat up, the kid stretches to catch it and does.

Where is it Trump threw the hat into the crowd?
Old 19th April 2017, 10:52 PM   #144
Planigale
Philosopher

The truly horrible thing if you are British is that White House eggs are apparently wooden! Does America not understand that the object of easter is to get chocolate smeared all over everything!
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2017, 04:51 AM   #145
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

But they were asking questions, no one is allowed to question the actions of the president that is treason.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics