IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Rodrigo Duterte , Trump controversies , US-Philippines relations

Old 1st May 2017, 10:03 AM   #41
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Noztradamus View Post
The One did it in job lots (but only if they shared his ethnicity).
Because the point was to gather African leaders, except the very worst.

Trump shares Obama's ethnicity too, BTW.

Trump actually extended an invitation to a Mexican
The very fact that you feel the need to point this out speaks volumes.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2017, 10:47 AM   #42
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Actually, I've come to realize something about Trump. His "admiration" for other rulers is not about how they actually govern, but how they came to power. For example, I just saw a comment of Trump's praising Kim Jong-un for how young he came to power (28 or so). Kim Jong-un must be great because he was ruler at such a young age!

Similarly, Trump thinks he's great because he won. Why aren't the press all impressed with him? That's why he constantly talks about the election. He doesn't understand that getting elected is the first step in being President, and that no one is going to judge you as President on the fact you were elected. They are going to look at what you do as President, not how you got there.
This is a good point. Trump is all about winning. He won the presidency so he can't understand why anyone has anything to say about the way he goes about being president. Winners get to do whatever they want.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2017, 09:17 PM   #43
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
Now Duterte is saying he might be too busy to come to the White House. The Chinese state-run press mocked Trump relentlessly after Xi rolled him at Mar-a-Lago, and now it's Duterte's turn. Seems like the only ones buying Trump's "strongman" schtick are his cult at home.
It's okay. Our PM (a real dictator - take that you wusses) is so excited he refuses to stand up lest we all see the bulge in his pants. His spokespersons* have literally said that now that we have someone in the White House whose not so inexorably wed to democracy and human rights things are improving.

Our guy's like Trump. Anyone says anything nice about him and he's their best friend for life. Of course, we haven't cancelled the Chinese submarine we ordered, haven't cut off ties with North Korea and still have tens of billions in Chinese rail projects coming in but now that Trump's become China's bitch instead of Russia's bitch, we're fine with that. Hell, we're Thailand! We're everybody's bitch! (Ask me about WWII, sometime.)

*ETA: For clarification.... this is no statement from the PMs office or any of his ministries. It's from a purported independent academic who just happens to always come out with apologies/explanations for moves by the junta.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.

Last edited by Foolmewunz; 1st May 2017 at 09:20 PM.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2017, 09:22 PM   #44
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Trump actually extended an invitation to a Mexican

That's mighty white of him.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2017, 09:32 PM   #45
BobTheCoward
Banned

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
It's okay. Our PM (a real dictator - take that you wusses) is so excited he refuses to stand up lest we all see the bulge in his pants. His spokespersons* have literally said that now that we have someone in the White House whose not so inexorably wed to democracy and human rights things are improving.

Our guy's like Trump. Anyone says anything nice about him and he's their best friend for life. Of course, we haven't cancelled the Chinese submarine we ordered, haven't cut off ties with North Korea and still have tens of billions in Chinese rail projects coming in but now that Trump's become China's bitch instead of Russia's bitch, we're fine with that. Hell, we're Thailand! We're everybody's bitch! (Ask me about WWII, sometime.)

*ETA: For clarification.... this is no statement from the PMs office or any of his ministries. It's from a purported independent academic who just happens to always come out with apologies/explanations for moves by the junta.
This is a weird question but something I always wondered and I so rarely run across people in Thailand.... would you be offended if I committed lese-majeste against the king of Thailand?
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2017, 09:57 PM   #46
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
This is a weird question but something I always wondered and I so rarely run across people in Thailand.... would you be offended if I committed lese-majeste against the king of Thailand?
I wouldn't be but I'm not Thai. Thai people have it so ingrained in their heads that even those who oppose the royals don't go there. It's kind of understandable with the current generation. They know nothing of their actual history and eight decades of the previous king, largely seen as the father of modern Thailand, and they think of lese-majeste as a slap in the face or maybe a kick in the balls. The current king, it's hoped, will do something about it. It's really a constitutional monarchy with the monarch having no real power, but with this stupid law as a throwback.

Old 2nd May 2017, 12:37 AM   #47
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
How about just answering my question without worrying about justifying it to me. What does Trump need from Duterte that justifies praising him for murder?
Chris Hayes on MSNBC observes that Trump Tower Manila is opening later this year, and showed a commercial where Trump talks about how wonderful it will be. Obviously Trump's business depends on this guy's continuing good will.
http://www.msnbc.com/all-in/watch/tr...e-934154819893
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2017, 05:35 AM   #48
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I can't help always being reminded that in the old Alien Nation TV show, "tert" was a slur directed at humans.

Quote:
On the science fiction tv series "Alien Nation", "tert" is the derogative slang term that the Newcomer aliens (The Tenctonese) use for humans. Just as the humans call Newcomers "Slags", disaffected Tenctonese youth can be heard referring to humans as "Terts".
The Terts will never accept us Tenctonese.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tert

Although I've been tempted to use "Sykes" for referring to PDJT as well.
Quote:

[after Sykes makes fun of George's name]

Det. Samuel 'George' Francisco: It is like your name... Sykes. I'm sure it doesn't bother you at all that it sounds like "ss'ai k'ss," two words in my language which mean "excrement" and "cranium."

[pause]

Det. Samuel 'George' Francisco: ********.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2017, 08:01 AM   #49
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I can't help always being reminded that in the old Alien Nation TV show, "tert" was a slur directed at humans.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tert

Although I've been tempted to use "Sykes" for referring to PDJT as well.
Loved that show, sorry it ended way too soon. BUT it never made sense that they ate raw meat - meaning they were eating salt water with no harm yet it was deadly/highly acidic like to them. That was an idiot move on the part of the creators of the show. Also applies to many other foods they might well have eaten!!! Also a problem with sex between the two groups - which is certainly implied a lot. Also if the Aliens get human blood on them in an accident. Really dumb writing!!!!!!!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics