IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , political speculation , Trump controversies

View Poll Results: Is a Trump impeachment likely?
Yes, expect to see it happen sometime in the near future. 38 31.15%
No, Trump is safe(for now) 46 37.70%
Don't know 18 14.75%
On planet X Trump will dissolve Congress fire everyone and declare himself POTUS for life 20 16.39%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Old 25th May 2017, 07:27 AM   #161
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
Considering that Trump has hired a lawyer to help sort out the various Trump problems, then it is safe to say that even Trump himself has realized that 'the Donald' is in some serious trouble.
Trump will solve the problem the usual way: with an out-of-court settlement with Mueller without admitting any wrongdoing.
Old 25th May 2017, 08:43 AM   #162
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
The other side of the coin is that with enough political will the articles of impeachment can simply say "we don't like you."
Andrew Johnson was impeached on little more than that, and the removal vote in the Senate fell one vote short.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2017, 08:57 AM   #163
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

The other side of the coin is that with enough political will the articles of impeachment can simply say "we don't like you."
In politics, appearances can, and often do, define reality.
Old 25th May 2017, 09:08 AM   #164
Cain
Straussian

I'm sure the people arguing that Trump can remove Comey for any whim would readily agree Congress can similarly impeach (but more so if the president were a Democrat).
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2017, 09:14 AM   #165
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

All impeachment needs to be valid is to be politically defensible, and that only if we assume that those voting for it want to be reelected. That bar is easily cleared in the case of the current occupant of the Oval Office.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2017, 01:44 AM   #166
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

We're clearly not at a tipping point where The Republicans in the House are ready to be more loyal to their country than their party. We're heading in that direction certainly. In the mean time, an organized, on message resistance needs continue to make being president miserable for The Hair. The trolling of him on Twitter is a good start but needs to be more organized hitting and repeating key messages of failure, body image, stupidity. We know the things that set him off on irrational tweet storms. The opposition to him needs to be more organized in hitting those buttons.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2017, 02:39 AM   #167
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
We're clearly not at a tipping point where The Republicans in the House are ready to be more loyal to their country than their party. We're heading in that direction certainly.
Is there any indication that the tipping point will ever be reached ?
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2017, 05:05 AM   #168
elgarak
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Beerina View Post
Impeachment is a political process, and is not reviewable by the other branches. I'm not sure it even has to be a defined crime.

Obstruction of justice would not be a crime in this case, as there are no strings attached to what reasons the president has to stop a particular investigation, nor could there be (e.g. a law) because Congress can have no authority over the exercise of a direct power by another branch without the Constitution specifying so.

Stopping an investigation into himself is a smarmy thing to do, and politically stupid, but is not illegal.

That doesn't necessarily mean Congress couldn't impeach him over it anyway. Maybe.

Nixon's obstruction of justice was in the attempt at a cover up, not in the firing of the special prosecutor.
The investigation he tried to obstruct was officially into collusion between his campaign and the Russians. Meaning, the perpetrators were possibly others, and not himself. It is not an investigation into HIS personal misconduct solely.
elgarak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2017, 05:11 AM   #169
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Is there any indication that the tipping point will ever be reached ?
I think if the special prosecutor came back and said Flynn or Kushner were his intermediaries Congress might act.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2017, 05:20 AM   #170
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

I think if the special prosecutor came back and said Flynn or Kushner were his intermediaries Congress might act.
I don't share your confidence I'm afraid.

edited to add......

I'd like to think it's the case, but every time I think that the GOP couldn't possibly be that spineless - they prove me wrong

Last edited by The Don; 26th May 2017 at 05:22 AM.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2017, 07:29 AM   #171
Civet
Graduate Poster

I think he'd have to have incredibly strong evidence for Congress to act. Not just the sort of solid circumstantial case that a good prosecutor might use to get a conviction in a normal court, but an absolute slam dunk.
Civet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2017, 10:34 PM   #172
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Fox has a 100% monopoly on the pro-Trump audience.
Not so much, One America News Network is slowly but steadily growing and siphoning off people who now group Fox in with the MSM.
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2017, 10:35 PM   #173
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
I don't share your confidence I'm afraid.

edited to add......

I'd like to think it's the case, but every time I think that the GOP couldn't possibly be that spineless - they prove me wrong
Not spineless. Complicit. We could see McConnell and Ryan taken down first because they don't have the technical protection Trump does.
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2017, 10:38 PM   #174
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

The more the Trump spectacle interferes with the Congressional GOP agenda, the more likely they are to want to trade Trump in for Pence.

That is the bottom line. It's not like the GOP Congress actually supports Trump. I don't believe for a minute he is more to them than a means to an end.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2017, 10:54 PM   #175
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Considering the entire GOP colluded with Russia as well, I doubt they will pursue impeachment. They are all compromised.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2017, 11:52 PM   #176
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

This must be a horror scenario for the Intelligence Service and FBI: they have all kinds of actionable intel,but they can't take it to Congress or the White House because they are exactly the people they are investigating.
The constitution didn't account for this.
Old 29th May 2017, 03:38 AM   #177
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

He and a number of accomplices are **********.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2017, 05:14 AM   #178
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

This must be a horror scenario for the Intelligence Service and FBI: they have all kinds of actionable intel,but they can't take it to Congress or the White House because they are exactly the people they are investigating.
Hence the very real possibility of a counter-coup against the regime. That's when things get messy as opposed to complicated.
Old 29th May 2017, 05:18 AM   #179
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by ChristianProgressive View Post
Hence the very real possibility of a counter-coup against the regime. That's when things get messy as opposed to complicated.
It would be a coup, not a counter-coup, even I agree that sounds better: Trump got elected, even if only because too many people got manipulated to vote wrong or not at all: the ballots themselves were not rigged to any sufficient degree.

But a coup can be fully legitimate if the White House, Congress and the DOJ don't fulfill their obligations to uphold the Constitution.
Old 29th May 2017, 06:24 AM   #180
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

It would be a coup, not a counter-coup, even I agree that sounds better: Trump got elected, even if only because too many people got manipulated to vote wrong or not at all: the ballots themselves were not rigged to any sufficient degree.
Aside from the question of direct vs indirect vote rigging, there is a growing body of evidence that there was in fact direct vote tampering.

Mike Farb is doing exhaustive work documenting testimony regarding rigged EVM/EVCM, and statistical analysis to back it up, and Jonathan Simon has been discussing the issue for years.
Old 29th May 2017, 06:32 AM   #181
Belz...
Fiend God

But a coup can be fully legitimate if the White House, Congress and the DOJ don't fulfill their obligations to uphold the Constitution.
Regardless, it's a very dangerous path to tread.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2017, 06:49 AM   #182
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Regardless, it's a very dangerous path to tread.
I would easily call it the most dangerous in modern history.
Old 29th May 2017, 07:58 AM   #183
Civet
Graduate Poster

Not spineless. Complicit. We could see McConnell and Ryan taken down first because they don't have the technical protection Trump does.
What does anyone have on McConnell? Do they have anything on Ryan other than the conversation with McCarthy?
Civet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2017, 08:22 AM   #184
chrispy
Graduate Poster

Not so much, One America News Network is slowly but steadily growing and siphoning off people who now group Fox in with the MSM.
As someone not based (anymore) in the US, I am not familiar with this network. Is it all crazy-right wing stuff masquerading as news or is there actual journalism, just through a right-ish lens?
chrispy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2017, 08:25 AM   #185
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Civet View Post
What does anyone have on McConnell? Do they have anything on Ryan other than the conversation with McCarthy?
http://www.bluedotdaily.com/paul-rya...he-presidency/

With McConnell there is his previously disclosed association with pro-Putin foreign businessmen, plus his repeated active steps to prevent investigation and disclosure going all the way back to mid-2016. A position he continues to hold denying the need for a fully independent investigator despite the overwhelming mountain of evidence of Trump/Russia ties.

There's also this:

http://bipartisanreport.com/2017/04/...ussia-details/

But the sources are not as open as they are elsewhere.

Last edited by ChristianProgressive; 29th May 2017 at 08:34 AM.
Old 29th May 2017, 08:26 AM   #186
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by chrispy View Post
As someone not based (anymore) in the US, I am not familiar with this network. Is it all crazy-right wing stuff masquerading as news or is there actual journalism, just through a right-ish lens?
It's crazy-right wing stuff masquerading as news. They had an anchor quit live on air because he refused to cover the sexual assault allegations against 'ally' Roger Ailes.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2017, 08:29 AM   #187
Civet
Graduate Poster

With McConnell there is his previously disclosed association with pro-Putin foreign businessmen
I'm not finding this. Who are the foreign businessmen he's connected with and what's the nature of his connection?
Old 29th May 2017, 08:29 AM   #188
chrispy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
It's crazy-right wing stuff masquerading as news. They had an anchor quit live on air because he refused to cover the sexual assault allegations against 'ally' Roger Ailes.
hahahaha!!! WTF? I am looking that up right away
chrispy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2017, 08:30 AM   #189
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

hahahaha!!! WTF? I am looking that up right away
My memory might be faulty and that incident might have been a Newsmax anchor.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2017, 08:36 AM   #190
chrispy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
My memory might be faulty and that incident might have been a Newsmax anchor.
Indeed, it was Newsmax, but for the exact reason you specified.
Old 29th May 2017, 08:43 AM   #191
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_America_News_Network

Given the references I've seen in various comment sections calling for people to abandon Fox because it has "sold out" in favor of this channel I can only conclude that it is even worse than Fox (which is still a right-wing shill network despite a few signs of decency peeking out recently).
Old 29th May 2017, 08:47 AM   #192
Belz...
Fiend God

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_America_News_Network

Given the references I've seen in various comment sections calling for people to abandon Fox because it has "sold out" in favor of this channel I can only conclude that it is even worse than Fox (which is still a right-wing shill network despite a few signs of decency peeking out recently).
I know nothing about them either, but just the name, the big eagle logo and the American flag in the background tell you all you need to know. Hell, Colbert did that as a joke years ago, and now conservatives are doing it seriously.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2017, 10:58 AM   #193
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Civet View Post
I'm not finding this. Who are the foreign businessmen he's connected with and what's the nature of his connection?
http://samuel-warde.com/2017/04/mitc...uperpac-money/

http://bipartisanreport.com/2017/05/...-fbi-notified/
Old 29th May 2017, 11:06 AM   #194
Civet
Graduate Poster

I saw this stuff on one of the other threads, I thought maybe you were referencing some other connection. These look like donations from Len Blavatnik's companies. He's American. Crazy rich and apparently cozy with Putin, but definitely American.
Old 29th May 2017, 11:33 AM   #195
logger
Banned

They're exactly like MSNBC, bet you know who they are?
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2017, 11:34 AM   #196
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
I know nothing about them either, but just the name, the big eagle logo and the American flag in the background tell you all you need to know. Hell, Colbert did that as a joke years ago, and now conservatives are doing it seriously.
Lol

Your post tells me all I need to know.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2017, 11:35 AM   #197
logger
Banned

How completely stupid!

They have nothing!

You haven't a clue on how politics works!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics