IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , internet incidents , Trump controversies , US-Russia relations , vladimir putin

Old 1st January 2017, 08:05 AM   #161
BobTheCoward
Banned

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
The Washington Pest gets more ridiculous every day. That's what they want their readers to know (as cited by the fearful Swede):

Period. That's what readers of RT get to know:

Easy to locate the Reuters item:

Tee-hee. The miserable propagandists at the WP have their knickers in a bunch.
I'm still waiting for that evidence he has proving those sexual assaults didnnt occur.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2017, 08:07 AM   #162
Childlike Empress
Banned

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
I'm still waiting for that evidence he has proving those sexual assaults didnnt occur.

Why should he? Nobody will sue.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2017, 08:09 AM   #163
BobTheCoward
Banned

Why should he? Nobody will sue.
Because he said he would. Once you say that, the other parties don't matter.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2017, 08:18 AM   #164
Childlike Empress
Banned

Because he said he would. Once you say that, the other parties don't matter.

Ok, i'll take you by your word for it, but didn't he also say there are more important things to do first? From the article it seems there is a bit of a sense that if anyone sues, it will be him.

Anyway, looking forward to Tuesday or Wednesday. Maybe one of the leakers has turned himself in to the president-elect? That would be fun. Murray thought in the interview that this is a possible development.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2017, 08:19 AM   #165
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

I wouldn't personally support impeachment for non crimes.

I survived the horrible adminstrations of Reagan, bush, Clinton,bush, Obama. I think we will make it.
On Day 1, Trump's bank account will be growing with pay-to-play money from foreign lobbyists, which is specifically forbidden by the Constitution. This is not a minor technicality, since DJT has never once in his life shown that he puts anything above his own self-interest.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2017, 08:22 AM   #166
BobTheCoward
Banned

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
On Day 1, Trump's bank account will be growing with pay-to-play money from foreign lobbyists, which is specifically forbidden by the Constitution. This is not a minor technicality, since DJT has never once in his life shown that he puts anything above his own self-interest.
You have no proof.
Old 1st January 2017, 08:27 AM   #167
NoahFence
Banned

I wouldn't personally support impeachment for non crimes.

I survived the horrible adminstrations of Reagan, bush, Clinton,bush, Obama. I think we will make it.
All former or current governors or members of Congress when they took office.

They had constituents to answer to. Trump has never answered to anyone, and he's not going to start now.

(Well, except Putin)

We can't compare the incoming administration with any other in history. This is new ground. A total buffoon in the white house? An actual moron?
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2017, 08:29 AM   #168
BobTheCoward
Banned

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
All former or current governors or members of Congress when they took office.

They had constituents to answer to. Trump has never answered to anyone, and he's not going to start now.

(Well, except Putin)

We can't compare the incoming administration with any other in history. This is new ground. A total buffoon in the white house? An actual moron?
I don't have much higher opinions of the other 5. It would be a feat to be worse than the others.
Old 1st January 2017, 08:35 AM   #169
Arcade22
Philosopher

Tee-hee. The miserable propagandists at the WP have their knickers in a bunch.
It's really bizarre. You accuse the journalists at the Washington post of being "propagandists" yet you cite a news article from RT, a Russian propaganda operation masking as a news agency and whose sole function is to spread pro-Russian propaganda in western countries.

The mere fact that you cite RT first even above the direct Reuters article renders anything and everything you post suspect since they, and by inference you, have no regards for the truth whatsoever. It's not like you did it out of ignorance, unaware that they are a Russian propaganda outlet.

And no, Cuba is not a brutal and corrupt dictatorship, and it's definitely less so than Sweden. - dann
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2017, 08:35 AM   #170
zorro99
Graduate Poster

“I know a lot about hacking,” he said, “and hacking is a very hard thing to prove, so it could be somebody else.”

He added, cryptically, that he also knows “things that other people don’t know. And so they cannot be sure of the situation.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.a87ca691b2c2

Trump knows all about these matters! So Trust him!

Last edited by zorro99; 1st January 2017 at 08:36 AM.
zorro99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2017, 08:42 AM   #171
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

You have no proof.
Well, a Congressional committee can just subpoena the records from Trump International Hotel for a start. They don't have to prove that lobbyists actually get special treatment for staying there; the fact that their money is going into DJT's bank account is all that's necessary. Of course, impeachment depends on Republicans deciding they want to toss him out, but I think a lot of Trump supporters are being naive about that possibility. I think there's a possibility that they already have a plan in place, because they'd much rather have Pence in office, and hopefully they realize that DJT could live in indelible stench on the Republican Party.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2017, 08:45 AM   #172
BobTheCoward
Banned

Well, a Congressional committee can just subpoena the records from Trump International Hotel for a start. They don't have to prove that lobbyists actually get special treatment for staying there; the fact that their money is going into DJT's bank account is all that's necessary. Of course, impeachment depends on Republicans deciding they want to toss him out, but I think a lot of Trump supporters are being naive about that possibility. I think there's a possibility that they already have a plan in place, because they'd much rather have Pence in office, and hopefully they realize that DJT could live in indelible stench on the Republican Party.
They don't have to prove anything for an impeachment.

I'm the one demanding evidence of a reciprocal agreement.
Old 1st January 2017, 08:49 AM   #173
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

Tee-hee.
Aw, that's so cute when someone who worships a murderous dictator says "tee-hee."
Old 1st January 2017, 08:54 AM   #174
NoahFence
Banned

I don't have much higher opinions of the other 5. It would be a feat to be worse than the others.
LOL
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2017, 09:05 AM   #175
Childlike Empress
Banned

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
It's really bizarre. You accuse the journalists at the Washington post of being "propagandists" yet you cite a news article from RT, a Russian propaganda operation masking as a news agency and whose sole function is to spread pro-Russian propaganda in western countries.

The mere fact that you cite RT first even above the direct Reuters article renders anything and everything you post suspect since they, and by inference you, have no regards for the truth whatsoever. It's not like you did it out of ignorance, unaware that they are a Russian propaganda outlet.

You mean because I wrote in my quote that I cited the "Propaganda Bullhorn"? Well spotted, you win five internet points. What I was showing you, and you failed to grasp because you are into deep black and white thinking, is THE FACT that the WP omitted an important information in their article. While RT reported that fact and its source (Reuters) which made it easy to check it. IN THIS CASE, the RT reporting is far better than the WP reporting, and my post outlines that in the strictest way possible (which often includes mocking).

For you, it should be a hint that the prejudices and phobias you sport are way far removed from critical thinking. Take that for 2017, may it improve the lamentable quality of your contributions here.
Old 1st January 2017, 09:22 AM   #176
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

You mean because I wrote in my quote that I cited the "Propaganda Bullhorn"? Well spotted, you win five internet points. What I was showing you, and you failed to grasp because you are into deep black and white thinking, is THE FACT that the WP omitted an important information in their article. While RT reported that fact and its source (Reuters) which made it easy to check it. IN THIS CASE, the RT reporting is far better than the WP reporting, and my post outlines that in the strictest way possible (which often includes mocking).

For you, it should be a hint that the prejudices and phobias you sport are way far removed from critical thinking. Take that for 2017, may it improve the lamentable quality of your contributions here.
The Washington Post article included the actual video, so we can not only hear exactly what he said, but we can also see that once again he's just talking out of his ass, saying something on the spur of the moment that he hopes will sound impressive.
Old 1st January 2017, 09:26 AM   #177
zorro99
Graduate Poster

Trump is an expert on hacking despite that he rarely uses a computer. He knows more than the investigating agencies know. Just ask him.
Old 1st January 2017, 09:44 AM   #178
BobTheCoward
Banned

The tuesday Wednesday thing is not significant.
Old 2nd January 2017, 10:50 AM   #179
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

We have to give Putin credit for managing to get extreme leftists like communists and anarchist to work together with extreme rightists like nazis and white supremacists to sing his praises and support his puppet on the internet.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2017, 11:46 AM   #180
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
We have to give Putin credit for managing to get extreme leftists like communists and anarchist to work together with extreme rightists like nazis and white supremacists to sing his praises and support his puppet on the internet.

Not really.

The Republican campaign wasn't about being for anyone in particular. It was about being against Hillary. Trump just became a convenient (perhaps inconvenient) focus. Somewhat to their surprise, I believe.

After that, finding stuff that could be claimed as positive points for Trump was just a routine exercise in misdirection and post hoc justifications. All largely secondary to the main thrust of their campaign.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2017, 12:23 PM   #181
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Not really.

The Republican campaign wasn't about being for anyone in particular. It was about being against Hillary. Trump just became a convenient (perhaps inconvenient) focus. Somewhat to their surprise, I believe.

After that, finding stuff that could be claimed as positive points for Trump was just a routine exercise in misdirection and post hoc justifications. All largely secondary to the main thrust of their campaign.
I don't mean just the campaign. It's everywhere. Nazis and anarchists in some sort of weird loving relationship over their devotion to papa Putin.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2017, 12:34 PM   #182
BobTheCoward
Banned

The tuesday Wednesday thing is not significant.
As proven by this Monday backpedal

http://thehill.com/policy/cybersecur...ing-revelation
Old 2nd January 2017, 12:35 PM   #183
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
I don't mean just the campaign. It's everywhere. Nazis and anarchists in some sort of weird loving relationship over their devotion to papa Putin.
Well, Putin supports anything that destabilizes western democracies, and he is the richest man in the world, so maybe he's getting their love the old-fashioned way: cash.
Old 2nd January 2017, 12:36 PM   #184
logger
Banned

Well, Putin supports anything that destabilizes western democracies, and he is the richest man in the world, so maybe he's getting their love the old-fashioned way: cash.
Or it could be something simple, like the dems are on the way out, Russia is hurting economically and Putin really wants a reset?
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2017, 08:40 AM   #185
David RP
Scholar

McAfee, as usual, is less polite.
"Kim dot Com agrees with McAfee's assertions"

Kim dot Com now there is someone I can look up to .
David RP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2017, 08:46 AM   #186
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by David RP View Post
"Kim dot Com agrees with McAfee's assertions"

Kim dot Com now there is someone I can look up to .
Surely, this is as blatant an ad hominem as one can expect.

Mind, I'm not at all saying that Russia isn't behind the hacking. I think they are. But your post is a pretty obvious fallacy.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2017, 12:02 PM   #187
caveman1917
Philosopher

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
We can't compare the incoming administration with any other in history. This is new ground.
In what way?

Quote:
A total buffoon in the white house?

Quote:
An actual moron?
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2017, 01:28 PM   #188
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Both pics fake, IIRC. I'd look it up on Snopes but of course that's a commie fake news site.
Old 3rd January 2017, 01:41 PM   #189
caveman1917
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Both pics fake, IIRC.
Well that's too bad then, they were quite funny otherwise.

Quote:
I'd look it up on Snopes but of course that's a commie fake news site.
Erm, ok... What else would you suggest then?

Last edited by caveman1917; 3rd January 2017 at 02:11 PM.
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2017, 02:26 PM   #190
David RP
Scholar

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Surely, this is as blatant an ad hominem as one can expect.

Mind, I'm not at all saying that Russia isn't behind the hacking. I think they are. But your post is a pretty obvious fallacy.
In what way?
David RP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2017, 04:33 PM   #191
The_Animus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by David RP View Post
In what way?
Because rather than address the argument, you attacked the character of the person making it. That's what is referred to as an ad hominem fallacy.
The_Animus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2017, 07:16 PM   #192
Childlike Empress
Banned

Old 4th January 2017, 03:38 AM   #193
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

So where is the info Trump promised for yesterday or today?
Another promised press conference to add to the list.

Last edited by Andy_Ross; 4th January 2017 at 04:20 AM.
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2017, 03:47 AM   #194
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
But US intelligence officials insisted there had been no delay in the briefing schedule.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38505398

Who to believe, US intelligence officials or a President Elect who has demonstrably lied his way through both the campaign and his entire career
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2017, 04:50 AM   #195
Childlike Empress
Banned

Originally Posted by The Don View Post

Who to believe, US intelligence officials or a President Elect who has demonstrably lied his way through both the campaign and his entire career

At least Trump has a name, contrary to "US intelligence officials".
Old 4th January 2017, 06:12 AM   #196
Childlike Empress
Banned

The Russians are really warming up to that "Russian Trolls" meme: Ministry of Foreign Affairs

Old 4th January 2017, 06:40 AM   #197
caveman1917
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Don View Post

How about neither?
Old 4th January 2017, 06:50 AM   #198
caveman1917
Philosopher

We're just never going to get to the evidence, are we...
Old 4th January 2017, 07:04 AM   #199
Childlike Empress
Banned

Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
We're just never going to get to the evidence, are we...

Putin ate their homework...
Old 4th January 2017, 07:15 AM   #200
caveman1917
Philosopher

Putin ate their homework...
Ah, maybe that's why they seem to be obsessing over that dude in Moscow gaining weight:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
cheerleading Putin's expansionism
He's eating all their homework, it all makes sense now...

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics