IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Affordable Care Act , AHCA , donald trump , health care issues , health insurance issues , obamacare , Trumpcare

Closed Thread
Old 24th May 2017, 01:32 PM   #3241
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Just remember to take the CBO score seriously, not literally.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th May 2017, 01:37 PM   #3242
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

CBO score is out.
  • 14 million more uninsured by next year
  • 23 million more uninsured by 2026
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th May 2017, 01:49 PM   #3243
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
Our hospital has a pretty good solution in place for non-emergent care. The ER also has an Urgent Care center. There's a FP resident, NP or PA on duty at all times and the ER docs supervise. The Urgent Care also doesn't turn anyone away, regardless of ability to pay, which was a decision made by the hospital owners (who happen to mostly be doctors in the community).
That's standard practice for any ED large enough to benefit from dividing care into urgent and emergent. It makes no sense to send non-paying ED patients to the more-expensive-to-run ED when your urgent care is available.

From your posts in the 'Trump has NPD' thread you imply you own the facility and that the docs and mid-level providers work for you. In this thread it sounds like a different story. Just curious.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th May 2017, 02:05 PM   #3244
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

AHCA is $874 billion in tax cuts and $119 billion in deficit reduction, financed by a net $993 billion reduction in spending on health care.
Old 24th May 2017, 02:17 PM   #3245
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by KDLarsen View Post
Anyone catch John Oliver's segment on dialysis treatment on sunday night? It's the free segment of the week, and I have to say it surprised me quite a bit.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

I suppose the profiteering part is what dialysis treatment has in common with the rest of the health care system.

Having said that, I'm genuinely surprised that dialysis treatment is paid for by the government.
Wow! I had no idea, sounds like yet one more crony company living off corporate welfare. Write the legislation working for a Congressperson, quit your job with Congress when it passes and get in on the contract you just wrote the legislation for.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th May 2017, 02:32 PM   #3246
xjx388

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
From your posts in the 'Trump has NPD' thread you imply you own the facility and that the docs and mid-level providers work for you. In this thread it sounds like a different story. Just curious.
The hospital I'm talking about in this thread is a physician-owned hospital in which my wife and I are partners. This is a different entity from the clinic I refer to in the other thread.
Old 24th May 2017, 03:43 PM   #3247
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits

wrong thread
Old 24th May 2017, 04:50 PM   #3248
skyeagle409
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
CBO score is out.
  • 14 million more uninsured by next year
  • 23 million more uninsured by 2026

That's not good by any means unless you are rich.
skyeagle409 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th May 2017, 04:53 PM   #3249
TraneWreck
Philosopher

And don't forget that the premium drops are because they removed the health care. Lowest premiums in the states that provide the least coverage. This cannot be considered a positive.
TraneWreck is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th May 2017, 05:36 AM   #3250
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

A Republican candidate assaulting a reporter for asking a question about the CBO score is a perfect anecdote for the politics of Trumpcare.
Old 26th May 2017, 09:26 AM   #3251
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

The CEO of Blue Cross NC says flat out that Trump and GOP Congress are why premiums will soar.

Quote:
Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina has announced that it intends to try to raise premiums by 22.9 percent next year. The company says it would have tried to raise them by only 8.8 percent, but it is going for the larger increase because the Trump administration has not said whether it will continue paying the law’s so-called “cost-sharing reductions” (CSRs) to insurance companies, which subsidize out-of-pocket costs for lower-income people who get insurance on the individual markets. Democrats in Congress want to appropriate money to cover these subsidies, but Republicans have not done so.

In an interview with me this morning, Brad Wilson, the president and chief executive of Blue Cross Blue Shield North Carolina, said flat-out that the failure of the Trump administration and Congress to guarantee that these subsidies will continue is why rates are going to soar for hundreds of thousands of people in his state.

“The failure of the administration and the House to bring certainty and clarity by funding CSRs has caused our company to file a 22.9 percent premium increase, rather than one that is materially lower,” Wilson told me. “That will impact hundreds of thousands of North Carolinians.” The company says it has approximately half a million customers getting individual insurance via Obamacare.

“We filed a 22.9 rate increase for 2018 based on the assumption that the CSRs will not be in place,” Wilson also said. “The rate increase would be 8.8 percent if the CSRs were guaranteed for 2018. Because they are not, the rate is 22.9 percent.”
Old 26th May 2017, 11:22 AM   #3252
Emily's Cat

Yep, pretty much.
Old 26th May 2017, 03:58 PM   #3253
Tero
Illuminator

Federal law could demand that all insurance companies operating in a state, with employer based plans, also have to offer plans to individuals. Subsidized or not. That way the two types of insurance would approach each other. Employers would pay about half of it for employees.

Politics blog: https://esapolitics.blogspot.com/
Parody: http://karireport.blogspot.com/
Poll: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...proval-rating/
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th May 2017, 08:24 PM   #3254
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tero View Post
Federal law could demand that all insurance companies operating in a state, with employer based plans, also have to offer plans to individuals. Subsidized or not. That way the two types of insurance would approach each other. Employers would pay about half of it for employees.
I don't think you could require employers to pay for any specific percentage of the cost. But you might require insurance companies to offer the same standard plans on the same terms to groups and individuals, pretty much turning everybody in the state into one risk pool.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th May 2017, 09:06 PM   #3255
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

The hospital I'm talking about in this thread is a physician-owned hospital in which my wife and I are partners. This is a different entity from the clinic I refer to in the other thread.
Without a better explanation forgive me if I put you in the WYSIWYG file and ignore your references to actually knowing what Nurse Practitioners' scope of practice is.
Old 26th May 2017, 09:10 PM   #3256
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

McConnell: 'I don't know' how we get to 50 votes on health care bill

I think we can all quit worrying about repeal for the moment.
Old 27th May 2017, 08:32 AM   #3257
xjx388

Without a better explanation forgive me if I put you in the WYSIWYG file and ignore your references to actually knowing what Nurse Practitioners' scope of practice is.
It's really not that difficult. My job is a practice admin for a mid-sized medical clinic (and thus, managing the credentials and licensing of the professionals that work for us) and I also have an investment in a physician-owned hospital.

I'm not sure why you are dragging the other thread into this one... But you'll forgive me, I trust, if I put you in the "medical professional who doesn't acknowledge/know her own limitations" category.

Last edited by xjx388; 27th May 2017 at 08:33 AM.
xjx388 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th May 2017, 08:40 PM   #3258
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Just remember to take the CBO score seriously, not literally.
What you're supposed to do it only cite the parts of the score you like and call the parts you don't like part of a liberal conspiracy, even though the head of the CBO was appointed by Trump.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th May 2017, 08:46 PM   #3259
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
What you're supposed to do it only cite the parts of the score you like and call the parts you don't like part of a liberal conspiracy, even though the head of the CBO was appointed by Trump Price.
FTFY.
Old 29th May 2017, 11:40 AM   #3260
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

McConnell: 'I don't know' how we get to 50 votes on health care bill

I think we can all quit worrying about repeal for the moment.
It's a little early to quit worrying. Trump is doing everything he can to sabotage the ACA as it exists now even if his plan doesn't pass.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.320a5a253a4f
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th May 2017, 12:12 PM   #3261
Emily's Cat

Originally Posted by Tero View Post
If this is in reference to the rate increase mentioned above, then this isn't actually the issue.

At present, insurers are required to offer "Cost Share Reduced" plans to people with sufficiently low incomes. So for the same list price (the premium at which the plan is filed), that individual pays lower deductibles, copays, coinsurances, and out of pocket maximums - they pay less at the point of service.

Generally, lowering the point of service costs would increase the premium. Instead of this, however, the government has agreed (via ACA) that they will pay the insurer directly for the difference in point of service costs, so that the customer doesn't see a higher premium.

Trump and the Republicans are trying to renege on that deal. As it's being discussed right now, they would stop paying the insurers for the extra coverage, but still disallow insurers from charging a higher premium. Insurers then need to increase their premiums across the board in order to offset the increased coverage levels.
Old 30th May 2017, 12:13 PM   #3262
Emily's Cat

Fair enough. I will place you in the WYSIWYG file and ignore your references to actually knowing anything about mental health diagnoses and psychiatric nursing.
Old 30th May 2017, 12:43 PM   #3263
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

A physician makes the case for a national single-payer system:
http://www.slate.com/articles/health...ly_option.html
Old 30th May 2017, 02:25 PM   #3264
Marcus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
Fair enough. I will place you in the WYSIWYG file and ignore your references to actually knowing anything about mental health diagnoses and psychiatric nursing.
For those of us who are acronomically challenged, what exactly is WYSIWYG?
Marcus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th May 2017, 02:26 PM   #3265
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
What You See Is What You Get.
Old 30th May 2017, 02:28 PM   #3266
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Greater Fool View Post
What You See Is What You Get.
No, it means personalized arguments are what you get. Some folks just can't spell honestly.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th May 2017, 02:31 PM   #3267
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
No, it means personalized arguments are what you get. Some folks just can't spell honestly.
Crap, context.

What You SAY Is What You Get?
Old 30th May 2017, 02:50 PM   #3268
Tony Stark
Philosopher

It's really not that difficult. My job is a practice admin for a mid-sized medical clinic (and thus, managing the credentials and licensing of the professionals that work for us) and I also have an investment in a physician-owned hospital.

I'm not sure why you are dragging the other thread into this one... But you'll forgive me, I trust, if I put you in the "medical professional who doesn't acknowledge/know her own limitations" category.
Do you think your business will be well served by Republican human trash taking insurance away from tens of millions of people?
Tony Stark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st May 2017, 11:52 AM   #3269
GodMark2
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
Do you think your business will be well served by Republican human trash taking insurance away from tens of millions of people?
Well, back in the 'good ol' days', when the only way to get affordable insurance was through your employer, people quite often were willing to put up with worse working conditions, as being unemployed meant they'd loose their insurance. I guess manufacturing artificial job loyalty is sort of like serving business well...
Old 31st May 2017, 12:15 PM   #3270
Kestrel
Philosopher

Originally Posted by GodMark2 View Post
Well, back in the 'good ol' days', when the only way to get affordable insurance was through your employer, people quite often were willing to put up with worse working conditions, as being unemployed meant they'd loose their insurance. I guess manufacturing artificial job loyalty is sort of like serving business well...
The problem of health insurance also kept employees from starting their own business.

In the good old days the individual market for health insurance was basically broken. Affordable coverage was only available to those with no pre existing conditions. If you developed a serious health problem, your insurance company would try every trick in the book to drop coverage.
Kestrel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st May 2017, 12:43 PM   #3271
Emily's Cat

Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
The problem of health insurance also kept employees from starting their own business.

In the good old days the individual market for health insurance was basically broken. Affordable coverage was only available to those with no pre existing conditions. If you developed a serious health problem, your insurance company would try every trick in the book to drop coverage.
It's still pretty broken. Not as bad as it was before... but still massively dysfunctional.
Old 31st May 2017, 12:57 PM   #3272
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
It's still pretty broken. Not as bad as it was before... but still massively dysfunctional.
And Republican scum want to make it more so.
Tony Stark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st May 2017, 12:58 PM   #3273
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Of course. Not exactly "broken", though. It was built into the system. It was their obligation as responsible capitalists. The untrammeled free market at its best.

Health "insurance" and health care are only tenuously related to each other at the best of times, and in a pure capitalist environment where the insurance companies are motivated by nothing but the pursuit of profit that relationship becomes nonexistent.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st May 2017, 12:59 PM   #3274
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

If you developed a serious health problem, your insurance company would try every trick in the book to drop coverage.
Serious health problem? They wouldn't cover you if you'd ever had dandruff.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st May 2017, 01:00 PM   #3275
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

It's a bit dated but it's computer speak for what you see is what you get. In other words, I'll look at the validity of posts and citations, but anything claimed to be known from personal knowledge, not so much.

The credibility of forumite's expertise has to be earned. No one is obligated to believe I'm a nurse practitioner with 4 decades of experience. I assume some people on the forum know from my posts that I am and do have that expertise. No doubt others simply don't believe it. That's their prerogative.

There are lots of people here with all kinds of expertise that I respect. Even some I disagree with on their political positions, I respect their knowledge in other areas. But it's common knowledge that people on forums make false claims about their occupations and expertise. So you take things they assert from personal knowledge with a grain or more of salt.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 31st May 2017 at 01:01 PM.
Old 31st May 2017, 01:03 PM   #3276
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
I do apologize because it went to a discussion in another thread where conflicting information was stated. However, it did address certain claims being made in this thread as well.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 31st May 2017 at 01:21 PM.
Old 31st May 2017, 01:11 PM   #3277
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

King County WA public heath posted a map of the effect of the ACA on the percentage of those insured in the county (Seattle is in King County). It's stunning.

The article: ONE MAP SHOWS HUGE IMPACT OF ACA LOCALLY
Quote:
Our epidemiologists at Public Health–Seattle & King County (PHSKC) have been keeping track of insurance enrollment for years. And, for a long time, the picture was getting worse year by year, with increasing numbers of people uninsured. That all changed after 2013, when new insurance options became available under the Affordable Care Act. King County embraced the opportunity to help residents enroll, and PHSKC assumed the lead roll, sending Navigators to every neighborhood and community.

The latest data — when shown on a map of the county — reveals how big the benefit has been for King County residents. (Red, orange and yellow zones have higher rates of uninsured.)
As many as 45% uninsured became 12% or less in Seattle proper, and 6% or less uninsured in most of the rest of the county.
Old 31st May 2017, 01:12 PM   #3278
xjx388

Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
I think my business can be well-served in a number of different ways. One of those ways, however, is not single-payer.

If insurance became a smaller part of the health care payment system, we could probably do better as a business. I wouldn't have to bill third-parties and cross my finger that we get paid what we should. I just collect full payment at the time of service. Imagine how much money I could save . . .
Old 31st May 2017, 01:20 PM   #3279
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

It's a bit dated but it's computer speak for what you see is what you get.
And for those of us really old, it was Flip Wilson's Geraldine character's tag line, meaning pretty much take it or leave it.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st May 2017, 01:36 PM   #3280
Tony Stark
Philosopher

I think my business can be well-served in a number of different ways. One of those ways, however, is not single-payer.

If insurance became a smaller part of the health care payment system, we could probably do better as a business. I wouldn't have to bill third-parties and cross my finger that we get paid what we should. I just collect full payment at the time of service. Imagine how much money I could save . . .
You did not answer the question.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics