IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , lying charges , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections , US-Russia relations , vladimir putin

Closed Thread
Old 29th March 2017, 12:19 PM   #241
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Side note: Cracks me up that Bill Kristol is now relevant again. After siding vociferously with Bush on the WMDs in Iraq, Kristol pretty much became a persona non grata on the news pundit scene. Suddenly he's back sharing his faux expertise on the Trump/Russia affair.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th March 2017, 02:04 PM   #242
W.D.Clinger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Side note: Cracks me up that Bill Kristol is now relevant again. After siding vociferously with Bush on the WMDs in Iraq, Kristol pretty much became a persona non grata on the news pundit scene. Suddenly he's back sharing his faux expertise on the Trump/Russia affair.
When your skills are limited, you have to work for those who will pay you.
W.D.Clinger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th March 2017, 09:37 PM   #243
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

The upper house is acting like the upper house. Seems that someone has to put on their big boy pants and the Senate's move is essentially saying to the House and to the nation that someone's willing to behave more like adults. Partisanship in Congress as a whole is pretty bad, but the House has taken it to new levels. Nunes is unfortunately in a safe seat; the guy should be run out of town on a rail. I never thought I'd start thinking of Gowdy as impartial, but Nunes has everything but the T tattoo on his forehead. Can't you see him in the next Captain America, giving Bannon the secret handshake and whispering "Hail Hydra"?

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th March 2017, 10:36 PM   #244
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I wouldn't be so sure Nunes is in a safe seat. It's early. His status as ignorant pawn is growing.

That drip drip drip is picking up.

NYT Op Ed
Quote:
When politicians on both sides of the aisle upbraided Trump for his baseless accusations about the wiretapping of Trump Tower, Nunes swooped in to say, “I don’t think we should attack the president for tweeting.” But Twitter was hardly the issue. The president’s paranoid hallucinations were....

All of this is irregular enough to peg him as a puppet of the Trump administration or a complete boob. Either way, he has surrendered his investigation’s integrity — and his own.
And of course, what we all know:
Quote:
If Trump and his associates have nothing to hide, why all the cloak and dagger? And why such clumsiness?
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th March 2017, 10:57 PM   #245
Polaris
Penultimate Amazing

I wouldn't be so sure Nunes is in a safe seat. It's early. His status as ignorant pawn is growing.

That drip drip drip is picking up.

NYT Op Ed

And of course, what we all know:
"Clumsiness" is a good word for it. Claiming that the issue is Trump using Twitter rather than what he says when he uses it is such an obvious red herring that even people unfamiliar with the fallacy would recognize it - what's astonishing is how many people don't care. And it's hardly the first one they'e used. Remember when the Access Hollywood video came out and there was no shortage of people pretending that the issue was Trump using foul language?
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th March 2017, 09:28 AM   #246
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Note the news source for this story, the first hit for my Google search

http://insider.foxnews.com/2017/03/2...an-afghanistan

Quote:

A top U.S. general told Congress today it's "fair to assume" that Russia is providing support to the Taliban in Afghanistan.*

"I think it is fair to assume they may be providing some sort of support to [the Taliban], in terms of weapons or other things that may be there. I believe what Russia is ... attempting to be an influential party in this part of the world. ,” said four-star Gen. Joseph Votel, CENTCOM Commander.

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th March 2017, 09:42 AM   #247
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
The upper house is acting like the upper house. Seems that someone has to put on their big boy pants and the Senate's move is essentially saying to the House and to the nation that someone's willing to behave more like adults. Partisanship in Congress as a whole is pretty bad, but the House has taken it to new levels. Nunes is unfortunately in a safe seat; the guy should be run out of town on a rail. I never thought I'd start thinking of Gowdy as impartial, but Nunes has everything but the T tattoo on his forehead. Can't you see him in the next Captain America, giving Bannon the secret handshake and whispering "Hail Hydra"?
That was actually another Billy Crystal.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th March 2017, 11:05 AM   #248
sts60
Illuminator

never mind.

Last edited by sts60; 30th March 2017 at 11:06 AM.
sts60 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th March 2017, 11:16 AM   #249
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
That was actually another Billy Crystal.
Old 30th March 2017, 11:23 AM   #250
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

He played a US Senator who was a member of HYDRA.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th March 2017, 11:25 AM   #251
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
He played a US Senator who was a member of HYDRA.
That was Garry Shandling.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th March 2017, 11:42 AM   #252
BobTheCoward
Banned

Does anyone know why Nunes had to brief the president on info he received from the senior director of intelligence at the NSC and a lawyer from the white house counsels office?
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th March 2017, 11:56 AM   #253
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Wow, opps.
Old 30th March 2017, 11:57 AM   #254
BobTheCoward
Banned

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
R.I.P.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th March 2017, 12:04 PM   #255
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Does anyone know why Nunes had to brief the president on info he received from the senior director of intelligence at the NSC and a lawyer from the white house counsels office?
The whole thing was a farce, but if I had to make up a story to fit the facts we currently have, I'd say these WH folks (see the NYT article) might have been duping Nunes from the start. They leaked this info (all we have is that names from the Trump campaign weren't redacted from a report on legit surveillance of Russians) expecting Nunes to then support Trump's claim of having been spied on by Obama. Which he did, holding a press conference after being fed the intel.

Nunes then felt some need to tell Trump directly even though it's absurd to think Trump didn't already know.

Nunes is a dupe and not very bright from the looks of it.
Old 30th March 2017, 12:08 PM   #256
TraneWreck
Philosopher

The bad news for Trump is that it looks like the Senate investigation is going to dig into his SHADY business connections with Russia, specifically the Russian mob.

I have to say, I'm surprised at how dodgy they're being about the collusion over the hack. It's not as though the hack guaranteed his election, so it seemed odd to me that they would involve themselves in that at all. That keeps moving forward in a surprising way.

The business connections, however, have been known for some time and always struck me as fertile ground for actual deal making. I will predict that Trump is in massive trouble if that investigation really starts digging.
TraneWreck is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th March 2017, 12:22 PM   #257
BobTheCoward
Banned

The whole thing was a farce, but if I had to make up a story to fit the facts we currently have, I'd say these WH folks (see the NYT article) might have been duping Nunes from the start. They leaked this info (all we have is that names from the Trump campaign weren't redacted from a report on legit surveillance of Russians) expecting Nunes to then support Trump's claim of having been spied on by Obama. Which he did, holding a press conference after being fed the intel.

Nunes then felt some need to tell Trump directly even though it's absurd to think Trump didn't already know.

Here is what i don't get. They are allowed to put that info out there, right? I think at the start of the wiretapping tweet I said it is a trivial matter for Trump to get the info and release it. Why intermediaries?
Old 30th March 2017, 12:30 PM   #258
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

He's on the Intelligence Committee, of course he isn't very bright.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th March 2017, 12:31 PM   #259
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by TraneWreck View Post
The bad news for Trump is that it looks like the Senate investigation is going to dig into his SHADY business connections with Russia, specifically the Russian mob.

I have to say, I'm surprised at how dodgy they're being about the collusion over the hack. ...
The fact there was a Tweet from the Trump camp about Podesta's emails before they were posted by Wiki-leaks was noted in the hearing and called problematic. Regardless if it was major or minor collusion, we are talking about knowing about spying on the Democrats and not coming forward. They continue to deny it even now.

The timing of the Podesta dump was conveniently done just after the pussy-grab video surfaced. But then there is this:

Trump adviser Roger Stone repeatedly claimed to know of forthcoming WikiLeaks dumps

Stone claims to have learned information from Assange, not from the Russians. But the Senate investigation is just beginning. And the FBI investigation may have more on Stone.

Carter page's interview on Chris Hayes made him appear to be bad at keeping his mouth shut. There are a lot of avenues of inquiry here.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 30th March 2017, 12:34 PM   #260
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

.... Why intermediaries?
Again, in this made up scenario, the point was to trick Nunes into thinking he was being given intel by leakers instead of by Trump, providing a layer of cover so to speak.

Why Trump didn't just release the info? Because then he'd have to name the names that were not redacted in the surveillance.
Old 30th March 2017, 12:37 PM   #261
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

The bad news for Trump is that it looks like the Senate investigation is going to dig into his SHADY business connections with Russia, specifically the Russian mob....

The business connections, however, have been known for some time and always struck me as fertile ground for actual deal making. I will predict that Trump is in massive trouble if that investigation really starts digging.
Forgot to say, I agree with this. Money laundering and shady deals with the Russian mob are looking like a given. Trump may be very sorry he didn't think this running for POTUS through.
Old 30th March 2017, 12:38 PM   #262
TraneWreck
Philosopher

Carter page's interview on Chris Hayes made him appear to be bad at keeping his mouth shut. There are a lot of avenues of inquiry here.
Yeah, that's what surprises me - there is some actual stuff going down. It's gotten more and more likely as the information keeps leaking out, but during the campaign, as much as I hated Trump, it just seemed unlikely that they would have done something so stupid.

What's interesting to me are the previous connections between Russia/pro-Russian factions in Ukraine and Stone, Manafort, the whole Trump family, Flynn...etc.

It seems to me that those relationships are the means by which they stayed in contact with Russia throughout the election. We'll see. The more insane their behavior gets (Nunes) the more I'm inclined to believe they did something impeachable.
TraneWreck is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th March 2017, 12:38 PM   #263
BobTheCoward
Banned

Again, in this made up scenario, the point was to trick Nunes into thinking he was being given intel by leakers instead of by Trump, providing a layer of cover so to speak.

Why Trump didn't just release the info? Because then he'd have to name the names that were not redacted in the surveillance.
That supposes he would think these two were acting independent from the administration?
Old 30th March 2017, 01:18 PM   #264
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

That supposes he would think these two were acting independent from the administration?
Which "he" are you referring to, Nunes or Trump?

Why is it a stretch to think the leakers tricked Nunes?
Old 30th March 2017, 01:30 PM   #265
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

He seems to be wilfully blind

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th March 2017, 01:41 PM   #266
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
He seems to be wilfully blind
I went to a John Dean talk here a few years ago. He said people get star struck around the POTUS. Dean said that is why Nixon's inner circle didn't speak up before breaking the law.

I picture Nunes basking in his 15 minutes of fame and having been star struck by being contacted by people close to Trump. It's not like the House has the same kind of status of even the Senate, let alone the WH.
Old 30th March 2017, 03:15 PM   #267
Childlike Empress
Banned

There, HE admits it:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

"You never tried ... no evidence will be found ..." "NO".
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th March 2017, 03:37 PM   #268
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Mike Flynn Offers to Testify in Exchange for Immunity
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th March 2017, 04:18 PM   #269
Garrison
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Don't be ridiculous, HYDRA were far better organized than this trainwreck. Frankly as things stands if HYDRA announced they were taking over the world it would probably be a relief.
Old 30th March 2017, 04:22 PM   #270
BobTheCoward
Banned

It seems a huge stretch to think parts of the White House that never has a firewall between themselves and the president (unlike the FBI which has a tradition of it), is somehow leaking info to you that favors the president.
Old 30th March 2017, 04:27 PM   #271
NoahFence
Banned

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
I hope they hurry up. I bet he'd be out before the Trump general thread got to the 4th iteration
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th March 2017, 04:29 PM   #272
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher

Oh, my...

"Does [A'isha] want to end up in a gas chamber, I wonder? Because this is where the whole thing will end" - McHrozni
A'isha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th March 2017, 04:33 PM   #273
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
I hope they hurry up. I bet he'd be out before the Trump general thread got to the 4th iteration
Originally Posted by A'isha View Post
Oh, my...
I don't think they offer immunity from polonium. That could be a problem.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th March 2017, 04:34 PM   #274
michael44
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
If luck has it, this might even mean bye bye for Pence too.
michael44 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th March 2017, 04:38 PM   #275
trustbutverify
Penultimate Amazing

I have to say, I'm surprised at how dodgy they're being about the collusion over the hack. It's not as though the hack guaranteed his election, so it seemed odd to me that they would involve themselves in that at all. That keeps moving forward in a surprising way.
It was in the interests of all parties involved to undermine Clinton to the greatest degree possible, regardless of the election outcome.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th March 2017, 04:41 PM   #276
trustbutverify
Penultimate Amazing

Forgot to say, I agree with this. Money laundering and shady deals with the Russian mob are looking like a given. Trump may be very sorry he didn't think this running for POTUS through.
In a justice system worth the name, sure. In 2017 USA, he'll be just fine.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th March 2017, 04:43 PM   #277
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
It was in the interests of all parties involved to undermine Clinton to the greatest degree possible, regardless of the election outcome.
I think you're ignoring the Gorsuch in the room. Get him on the bench and they think this will all be worth it because it lasts a lifetime.
Old 30th March 2017, 04:48 PM   #278
trustbutverify
Penultimate Amazing

What, exactly, does Flynn think he needs immunity from? Just crimes in general or something more specific?
Old 30th March 2017, 04:51 PM   #279
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
What, exactly, does Flynn think he needs immunity from? Just crimes in general or something more specific?
Either way it's pretty interesting.

Lots of drama. If anything, Trump's giving us a lot of entertainment, true to himself.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th March 2017, 04:54 PM   #280
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

"When you are given immunity that means you've probably committed a crime."

Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics