IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , lying charges , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections , US-Russia relations , vladimir putin

Closed Thread
Old 30th March 2017, 04:58 PM   #281
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
It seems a huge stretch to think parts of the White House that never has a firewall between themselves and the president (unlike the FBI which has a tradition of it), is somehow leaking info to you that favors the president.
And this contradicts what I said, how?
Originally Posted by SG
...the point was to trick Nunes into thinking he was being given intel by leakers instead of by Trump
Does Nunes seem very bright to you?
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th March 2017, 04:59 PM   #282
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by michael44 View Post
If luck has it, this might even mean bye bye for Pence too.
Seems like the news media is avoiding that room elephant.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th March 2017, 05:00 PM   #283
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
In a justice system worth the name, sure. In 2017 USA, he'll be just fine.
Nixon got a pardon through a political deal. Trump has no such friends that I can see.
Old 30th March 2017, 05:02 PM   #284
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

What, exactly, does Flynn think he needs immunity from? Just crimes in general or something more specific?
He knows his conversations were recorded. He knows what is on them. He denied any contact with Russians, denied any discussion about sanctions, then suddenly had to resign.

News is reporting, immunity has not yet been granted.

Flynn is on video saying people asking for immunity to discuss Clinton's email indicate guilt. Whoops.

News also reporting a reminder, there is something wrong with his being an agent of Turkey and forgetting to put that on his security clearance forms.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 30th March 2017 at 05:05 PM.
Old 30th March 2017, 05:04 PM   #285
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I wish I was watching more closely this morning to see who it was on CNN saying he hoped the Senate committee would get to the bottom of why Russia was favoring Clinton. And he said it repeatedly.
Old 30th March 2017, 05:06 PM   #286
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Old 30th March 2017, 05:07 PM   #287
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I wish I was watching more closely this morning to see who it was on CNN saying he hoped the Senate committee would get to the bottom of why Russia was favoring Clinton. And he said it repeatedly.
Google knows all.

‘Just a point of fact’: CNN’s Poppy Harlow squashes GOP intel official who says Russia ‘favored’ Clinton
Quote:
Michael Allen, the House Intelligence Committee staff director
Old 30th March 2017, 05:23 PM   #288
trustbutverify
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
He knows his conversations were recorded. He knows what is on them. He denied any contact with Russians, denied any discussion about sanctions, then suddenly had to resign.

News is reporting, immunity has not yet been granted.

Flynn is on video saying people asking for immunity to discuss Clinton's email indicate guilt. Whoops.

News also reporting a reminder, there is something wrong with his being an agent of Turkey and forgetting to put that on his security clearance forms.
Now, that is funny.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th March 2017, 05:28 PM   #289
BobTheCoward
Banned

And this contradicts what I said, how?

Does Nunes seem very bright to you?
No. But it seems like the plan would require sloth from Goonies level intelligence to fall for. I don't think he is that dumb.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th March 2017, 05:28 PM   #290
trustbutverify
Penultimate Amazing

Nixon got a pardon through a political deal. Trump has no such friends that I can see.
Alex Jones is now a respected journalist. It's a different country.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th March 2017, 06:12 PM   #291
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Thanks so much! I was probably reading some idiocy on this forum at the time.
Old 30th March 2017, 07:01 PM   #292
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

No. But it seems like the plan would require sloth from Goonies level intelligence to fall for. I don't think he is that dumb.
There is no evidence any of these guys are competent. Perhaps you know of some?
Old 30th March 2017, 07:03 PM   #293
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Alex Jones is now a respected journalist. It's a different country.
Yeah, and there are a lot of alt-right people in Congress. But still, a political deal to keep a POTUS out of jail seems to me to be something the POTUS must have respect in order to earn it. Who respects this guy? People like Pence and Ryan kiss his ass to get stuff, but respect? I don't see it.

Speaking of a different time, were you around during Nixon? There was a big issue of, how could we send a POTUS to jail. I sure don't see that now. Hell, they chanted "lock her up" at Trump's rallies. No respect there for sure.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 30th March 2017 at 07:05 PM.
Old 30th March 2017, 07:20 PM   #294
BobTheCoward
Banned

There is no evidence any of these guys are competent. Perhaps you know of some?
Devin Nunes simple ability to make it into chambers without peeing himself would seem to make him smarter than to think it was a legitimate leak.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th March 2017, 07:29 PM   #295
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Devin Nunes simple ability to make it into chambers without peeing himself would seem to make him smarter than to think it was a legitimate leak.
That's not evidence.

But feel free to agree to disagree. I see no point in arguing our different opinions of Nunes.
Old 30th March 2017, 07:47 PM   #296
BobTheCoward
Banned

That's not evidence.

But feel free to agree to disagree. I see no point in arguing our different opinions of Nunes.
I think we have the same opinion of Nunes. I think we have a different opinion on how dumb you have to be to think the two sources were not acting on behalf of the White House.
Old 30th March 2017, 09:07 PM   #297
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TraneWreck View Post
Yeah, that's what surprises me - there is some actual stuff going down. It's gotten more and more likely as the information keeps leaking out, but during the campaign, as much as I hated Trump, it just seemed unlikely that they would have done something so stupid.

What's interesting to me are the previous connections between Russia/pro-Russian factions in Ukraine and Stone, Manafort, the whole Trump family, Flynn...etc.

It seems to me that those relationships are the means by which they stayed in contact with Russia throughout the election. We'll see. The more insane their behavior gets (Nunes) the more I'm inclined to believe they did something impeachable.
Well, perhaps, but the Republicans are currently in charge, and they don't seem eager to impeach.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th March 2017, 09:56 PM   #298
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Well, perhaps, but the Republicans are currently in charge, and they don't seem eager to impeach.
Despite Ol' Tape Tie's many questionable actions, if not full-on transgressions, there may not yet be anything to base impeachment on. And the House, fanatic as they largely are, will need something clearly ironclad before they risk their necks, especially in this political climate.

Furthermore, I would prefer saner heads in high places reserve mentioning the I-word until the time it's appropriate. Those opposed to Don Wan should consider how crying wolf can water down its potency and value*.

*Metaphor mixed? Check.
Old 31st March 2017, 12:07 AM   #299
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, and there are a lot of alt-right people in Congress. But still, a political deal to keep a POTUS out of jail seems to me to be something the POTUS must have respect in order to earn it. Who respects this guy? People like Pence and Ryan kiss his ass to get stuff, but respect? I don't see it.

Speaking of a different time, were you around during Nixon? There was a big issue of, how could we send a POTUS to jail. I sure don't see that now. Hell, they chanted "lock her up" at Trump's rallies. No respect there for sure.
I disagree with the highlighted. IMO there merely has to be less damage to the GOP in striking a political deal to keep a POTUS out of prison than there is in him going to prison.

In any case IMO it's never going to get anywhere near that far. Any investigation that starts to find tangible evidence will quickly be derailed by GOP committee members and sent off to investigate the Obama White House instead.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st March 2017, 09:59 AM   #300
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Obama Officials Made List of Russia Probe Documents To Keep Them Safe

Quote:
Obama administration officials were so concerned about what would happen to key classified documents related to the Russia probe once President Trump took office that they created a list of document serial numbers to give to senior members of the Senate Intelligence Committee, a former Obama official told NBC News.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st March 2017, 10:36 AM   #301
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Wow, that is some serious gaslighting.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st March 2017, 10:50 AM   #302
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

There's actually a whole thread on that subject.
Old 31st March 2017, 11:36 AM   #303
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

This seems to have been missed the first time around.

I do wonder if the President's fear of Muslims will trump his liking for Russia... or whether Russia has some hold over him

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Note the news source for this story, the first hit for my Google search

http://insider.foxnews.com/2017/03/2...an-afghanistan

Quote:

A top U.S. general told Congress today it's "fair to assume" that Russia is providing support to the Taliban in Afghanistan.*

"I think it is fair to assume they may be providing some sort of support to [the Taliban], in terms of weapons or other things that may be there. I believe what Russia is ... attempting to be an influential party in this part of the world. ,” said four-star Gen. Joseph Votel, CENTCOM Commander.

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st March 2017, 11:48 AM   #304
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Spicer is in rare form... The Real Russian Collusiontm was perpetrated by Obama/Hillary.

Bizarro world.
Old 31st March 2017, 11:55 AM   #305
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
That was Garry Shandling.
Wow, opps.
That's okay.

Garry Shandling could stand in as another Billy Crystal.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st March 2017, 11:57 AM   #306
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Spicer is in rare form... The Real Russian Collusiontm was perpetrated by Obama/Hillary.

Bizarro world.
"You're the puppet"

It's their MO. "I know you are but what am I?"
Gunter Haas, the 'leading British expert,' was a graphologist who advised couples, based on their handwriting characteristics, if they were compatible for marriage. I would submit that couples idiotic enough to do this are probably quite suitable for each other. It's nice when stupid people find love. - Ludovic Kennedy
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st March 2017, 12:00 PM   #307
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

God, it's like a Mafia movie where the Capo rats on the Don....(no pun intended)

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st March 2017, 12:32 PM   #308
Joe Random
Illuminator

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
God, it's like a Mafia movie where the Capo rats on the Don....(no pun intended)

Wish I were any good at photoshopping things.
Joe Random is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st March 2017, 12:49 PM   #309
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Wow, that is some serious gaslighting.
Spicer's press briefing today he's trying hard to make Clinton the one with Russian connections, repeating the lies again about pay to play, repeating the misstatements about the uranium sale.

They've been given the talking points memo to sell that narrative along with the attempts to deflect the issue to Obama spying "for political purposes".

Spicer is now trying to use the misstated story about what Farkus supposedly said even though she herself said she was quoted out of context.

Snopes: Did Evelyn Farkas Just Leak Information Confirming President Obama Spied on President Trump?
Quote:
The 1 March 2017 Times article held that “warning signs had been building throughout the summer,” and that “American intelligence began picking up conversations in which Russian officials were discussing contacts with Trump associates, and European allies were starting to pass along information about people close to Mr. Trump meeting with Russians in the Netherlands, Britain and other countries.” Farkas reiterated the gist of that article’s recounting of frantic efforts on the part of Washington insiders (current and former) to prevent a loss of intelligence about possible Russian election meddling:...

Nothing said or repeated by Evelyn Farkas on 2 March 2017 was novel or ostensibly more revealing than the New York Times article published just before her interview, and Farkas described the actions of Washington operatives (not President Obama) to preserve extant intelligence about Russian efforts to undermine the presidential election (not to spy on Donald Trump).
WA Po: The latest attempt to validate Trump’s wiretapping claim? An Obama official who left in 2015.
Old 31st March 2017, 01:06 PM   #310
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

The emotional stability is the best part.
after @MajorCBS asks about Flynn, Trump leaves signing ceremony without signing executive orders. Pence went and picked it up from desk
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st March 2017, 01:17 PM   #311
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I don't like Pence very much, but I feel a little sorry for him since he has to clean up so many of Donald's messes.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st March 2017, 01:52 PM   #312
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I don't like Pence very much, but I feel a little sorry for him since he has to clean up so many of Donald's messes.
Sorry is not what I'm feeling, it's, what is it, something else with S...Oh yeah, schadenfreude. Spicer is actually a little more pitiable. But not much.
Old 31st March 2017, 02:28 PM   #313
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
That's okay.

Garry Shandling could stand in as another Billy Crystal.
Not any more.

WS
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st March 2017, 02:40 PM   #314
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Probably only a momentary time out - Ol' Tape Tie will no doubt be back to sign another pile tomorrow Monday when he returns from Mar-a-Golf-Round.
Old 31st March 2017, 02:52 PM   #315
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

He didn't have to sign up. Greedy for power, I don't feel the least bit sorry for him.
Old 31st March 2017, 03:20 PM   #316
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
This seems to have been missed the first time around.

I do wonder if the President's fear of Muslims will trump his liking for Russia... or whether Russia has some hold over him
I think Russia and Trump are aligned on the Muslim thing.

Even if Russia is supporting the Taliban financially - which I find possible - it's in stark contrast to their overwhelming anti-Muslim attitude that has emerged after the Chechen Republic's secession attempt.

Russia is quite enthusiastic about depicting their police state a Muslim-proofed 'security'.

Last edited by blutoski; 31st March 2017 at 03:21 PM.
blutoski is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st March 2017, 03:25 PM   #317
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
I disagree with the highlighted. IMO there merely has to be less damage to the GOP in striking a political deal to keep a POTUS out of prison than there is in him going to prison.

In any case IMO it's never going to get anywhere near that far. Any investigation that starts to find tangible evidence will quickly be derailed by GOP committee members and sent off to investigate the Obama White House instead.
Yep. Trump blamed the Democrats for the fact that the House couldn't pass AHCA.

Quote:
Ok, right. We've proven there was treason in the Trump campaign. Damn. Um...

Oh, I've got this: Well why didn't the Obama administration catch this treason? Did they look the other way? Were they complicit? THAT'S THE REAL CRIME! Lock Him Up!
Old 31st March 2017, 03:26 PM   #318
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

"After you do my homework, take out the trash and do my laundry."

"Sir, that's not what the VP is actually for..."

"Sad."
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st March 2017, 03:27 PM   #319
trustbutverify
Penultimate Amazing

I doubt Flynn is willing to rat on anyone... it's just a gambit to undermine the potency of the investigation.
Old 31st March 2017, 03:30 PM   #320
trustbutverify
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post

Bizarro world.
Well, that's the current RT/Kremlin ******** taking points memo. Stand-by for further instructions.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics