IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags anti-Islam policies , donald trump , executive orders , immigration issues , lawsuits

Old 26th April 2017, 07:56 AM   #41
TraneWreck
Philosopher

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
I really appreciate it because I actually didn't follow this injunction. Do we know if the city seeking the injunction brought up this point? Did the attorneys for the feds say anything on this point?
Yes. It was a point argued by both sides and ruled on by the judge:

Quote:
The judge, William H. Orrick of United States District Court, wrote that the president had overstepped his powers with his January executive order on immigration by tying billions of dollars in federal funding to immigration enforcement. Judge Orrick said only Congress could place such conditions on spending.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/25/u...ties.html?_r=0
TraneWreck is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2017, 08:03 AM   #42
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by logger View Post
It's interesting that you post something like this, you really think I believe this don't you?
Oh, no. I don't think you believe this. But that's what you'd get if US conservatives had their way. The GOP is just too far to the right.

Quote:
Even though I have your whole rant in my family, blacks, gays and 1 Arab.
Some of your best friends are black!

Quote:
This is why you leftists aren't to be compromised with, worked with or admired. You're to be defeated, because no one can work with people who are this extreme.
And now you're calling me extreme again. Based on nothing, mind you. Saying that the right in the US is extreme does not make me extreme.

In fact, moderates like me are the best thing that could happen to business owners like yourself. I mean, middle-class union workers like yourself. I mean... well, I can't keep track of your claims anymore.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2017, 08:05 AM   #43
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TraneWreck View Post
And look at what the dumbass in chief did today (at 5:20am, no less):

He called it a "ban" again. Hahaha.

I mean, he's so amazingly stupid. Anyone who even considered casting a vote for this monumentally inept boob....
It's malice tempered by idiocy and incompetence.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2017, 08:08 AM   #44
BobTheCoward
Banned

Yes. It was a point argued by both sides and ruled on by the judge:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/25/u...ties.html?_r=0
But the article doesn't support that.

Quote:
In San Francisco’s case, the city argued that the executive order violated the Constitution by essentially trying to commandeer state and local officials to enforce federal immigration law. In practical terms, San Francisco’s filing said, forcing the city to cooperate with federal immigration agents would threaten public safety by breaking trust between local authorities and immigrants, who the city argued would become less likely to report crimes or serve as witnesses.
That doesn't address if the city objected because Congress didn't do it. Their argument seems to be Congress can't do it either.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2017, 08:22 AM   #45
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

And look at what the dumbass in chief did today (at 5:20am, no less):

He called it a "ban" again. Hahaha.

I mean, he's so amazingly stupid. Anyone who even considered casting a vote for this monumentally inept boob....
Oh bloody hell!

For some weird reason Trump keeps thinking that threatening to take judges to court will terribly intimidate them in the same way that Trump terribly intimidated other people when he took them to court.

I still do not think that Trump has realized that since federal judges are already in court day in and day out for the last several years, then taking these judges to court when the judges have the law on their side, will not actually intimidate these judges.
Old 26th April 2017, 08:30 AM   #46
TraneWreck
Philosopher

But the article doesn't support that.

That doesn't address if the city objected because Congress didn't do it. Their argument seems to be Congress can't do it either.
Bob, you can google the transcripts and briefs and read them. The Complain from San Francisco is based on the notion that the Executive order is Unconstitutional in large part because it contradicts specific funding clauses approved by Congress:

https://docs.justia.com/cases/federa...00485/307351/1

Line 60 states it pretty clearly.

Why is this such a concern that you need to focus on it, but not enough of a concern to read the court documents? That ruling is not something a Circuit court would land on sua sponte and it's one of the more obvious issues with the Executive Order.
TraneWreck is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2017, 08:53 AM   #47
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Quote:
Even though I have your whole rant in my family, blacks, gays and 1 Arab.
From which country?

WS
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2017, 09:04 AM   #48
fagin
Philosopher

Duh Towelheadland.

Obviously.
Old 26th April 2017, 09:08 AM   #49
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Key portion:

Court in the Sanctuary Cities case ruled that the president doesn't have that power, Congress does.
The party of small government, except when they're not.
Old 26th April 2017, 09:30 AM   #50
BobTheCoward
Banned

Bob, you can google the transcripts and briefs and read them. The Complain from San Francisco is based on the notion that the Executive order is Unconstitutional in large part because it contradicts specific funding clauses approved by Congress:

https://docs.justia.com/cases/federa...00485/307351/1

Line 60 states it pretty clearly.

Why is this such a concern that you need to focus on it, but not enough of a concern to read the court documents? That ruling is not something a Circuit court would land on sua sponte and it's one of the more obvious issues with the Executive Order.
You seemed like you were in a sharing mood so I thought I would just ask. It does seem weird the NYT article didn't actually address that the city made that argument, and what the Feds countered with.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2017, 01:15 PM   #51
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
From which country?
He's a Lebanese Christian. Feel better?

Conservative but can't stand Trump or feels that he has to point out what Trump is wrong about. We've had some good conversation.

Last edited by logger; 26th April 2017 at 01:17 PM.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2017, 01:19 PM   #52
TraneWreck
Philosopher

Whoa, civil wars have been fought over whether Lebanese Christians are Arabs or Phoenician...

Last edited by TraneWreck; 26th April 2017 at 01:24 PM.
Old 26th April 2017, 01:23 PM   #53
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Conservative but can't stand Trump or feels that he has to point out what Trump is wrong about. We've had some good conversation.
Some Lebanese christians do not self-indentify as Arab. How about this fella?

ETA: Feel better than what?

WS
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2017, 02:44 PM   #54
Arcade22
Philosopher

Quote:
The decision was panned by the White House, which released a statement from press secretary Sean Spicer’s office declaring that “today, the rule of law suffered another blow, as an unelected judge unilaterally rewrote immigration policy for our Nation.”

“This case is yet one more example of egregious overreach by a single, unelected district judge,” the White House statement continued. “Today’s ruling undermines faith in our legal system and raises serious questions about circuit shopping."
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/0...-cities-237620

Actually it does the exact opposite because it shows that the American judiciary is capable of constraining the authority of this pathetic faux strongman and his actions through perfectly legal means, even if it's only temporarily.

If the judges were unable or simply unwilling to hold the President to account, and make sure they don't act in contravention of laws and regulations, that would signal a weak rule of law.

Other liberal democratic countries might be able to elected governments that are more powerful and suffer far less judicial scrutiny, including a very weak or non-existent forms of judicial review, but it's quite clear that Americans are intellectually and culturally not fit for such forms of government and it's only reasonable for their judges to save them from themselves.

And no, Cuba is not a brutal and corrupt dictatorship, and it's definitely less so than Sweden. - dann

Last edited by Arcade22; 26th April 2017 at 02:45 PM.
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2017, 04:54 PM   #55
logger
Banned

Some Lebanese christians do not self-indentify as Arab. How about this fella?
Lol
And some do? Who gives a **** that's where he's from.

Quote:
ETA: Feel better than what?
That you got your little question answered.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2017, 04:55 PM   #56
logger
Banned

Whoa, civil wars have been fought over whether Lebanese Christians are Arabs or Phoenician...
Okay, should I call him so he can clarify it?
Old 26th April 2017, 04:57 PM   #57
logger
Banned

Surprise another POS democrat judge.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017...-activist.html
Old 26th April 2017, 05:01 PM   #58
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Highway funding tied to drinking age. The principle upheld in South Dakota v dole.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Dakota_v._Dole
It's narrow and related. The judge's ruling was based on the order being too broad and not related.

Key portion:
Court in the Sanctuary Cities case ruled that the president doesn't have that power, Congress does.
That too.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 26th April 2017 at 05:02 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2017, 05:07 PM   #59
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Lol
And some do? Who gives a **** that's where he's from.
Because not everyone from over "there" is an Arab. Or do you say A-rab?

Quote:
That you got your little question answered.
That's pretty much what a forum is about. So congrats on baby steps.

WS
Old 26th April 2017, 05:24 PM   #60
Belz...
Fiend God

Why do you get _all_ of your news from right-wing sources? Do facts not matter to you?

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2017, 05:54 PM   #61
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

I'm guessing from this that you are only against the expansion of the executive's power take over responsibilities that are purely the scope of congress, only when that executive is Democrat?

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2017, 06:26 PM   #62
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Why do you get _all_ of your news from right-wing sources? Do facts not matter to you?
Certainly someone from the middle would recognize what this is.

Just another example of your extreme leftism?
Old 26th April 2017, 06:28 PM   #63
logger
Banned

Because not everyone from over "there" is an Arab. Or do you say A-rab?
And some do, so ******* what?
Quote:
That's pretty much what a forum is about. So congrats on baby steps.
Yes, some need the simplest of things answered.
Old 26th April 2017, 06:29 PM   #64
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
I'm guessing from this that you are only against the expansion of the executive's power take over responsibilities that are purely the scope of congress, only when that executive is Democrat?
You seem to guess a lot.

Does the executive branch have the perogitive on border security?
Old 26th April 2017, 06:36 PM   #65
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

And some do, so ******* what?
And some do what, say A-rab? Sure, lot's a racists express it that way.

Quote:
Yes, some need the simplest of things answered.
What is this blather addressing?

WS
Old 26th April 2017, 06:46 PM   #66
logger
Banned

And some do what, say A-rab? Sure, lot's a racists express it that way.
Okay, that isn't the way I said it, you seem to be the one using it that way. Are you a racist against Arabs too?

Quote:
What is this blather addressing?
Lol
And I repeat myself!
Old 26th April 2017, 06:53 PM   #67
TraneWreck
Philosopher

Okay, should I call him so he can clarify it?
Do what you want. Just amused by the highly explosive nature of your unimpressive bragging.
Old 26th April 2017, 06:55 PM   #68
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Okay, that isn't the way I said it, you seem to be the one using it that way. Are you a racist against Arabs too?
No I am not, but you sort of outed yourself there. Nice job, though it's been obvious for quite some time.
Quote:
and I repeat myself!
Yes, you've repeated your blather.

WS
Old 26th April 2017, 06:58 PM   #69
Belz...
Fiend God

Certainly someone from the middle would recognize what this is.
What are you blabbering about, and how is that a response to my post?

Quote:
Just another example of your extreme leftism?
Given that you're possibly the most ignorant person on the topic of the left-right political spectrum that I've ever had the pleasure of talking to, your comment is completely worthless.

Old 26th April 2017, 06:58 PM   #70
Lurch
Master Poster

Logger,
When a judge rules against an Executive Order and the Administration has no other recourse but to abide and grumble (and look to appealing to a higher Court), might that not be a sign that the injunction is indeed legal, and not overreach on the part of the judge? If that judge was indeed overstepping his authority, could he not be simply ignored or censured?
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2017, 07:00 PM   #71
logger
Banned

No I am not, but you sort of outed yourself there. Nice job, though it's been obvious for quite some time.
Yeah sure, you're the one calling them offensive names and I didn't know you were a racist, thanks for letting us know.
Quote:
Yes, you've repeated your blather.
Just keeping it simple for you.
Old 26th April 2017, 07:06 PM   #72
NoahFence
Banned

Aww....
Winning too much?

Ask your fuhrer to submit something not so blatantly illegal. Report back with your findings.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2017, 07:08 PM   #73
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Yeah sure, you're the one calling them offensive names[
No, I was asking you a question.
Quote:
. . . and I didn't know you were a racist, thanks for letting us know.
I know you are, but what am I is no way to go through life. You typed:
Quote:
Are you a racist against Arabs too?
I highlighted your apparent Freudian slip/admission. Now if it's a grammar and usage issue, well Miss Forbush did you a disservice by passing you last year.

Quote:
Just keeping it simple for you.
You are confusing blather with simple. Another usage issue I'm afraid.

WS
Old 26th April 2017, 07:12 PM   #74
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
Logger,
When a judge rules against an Executive Order and the Administration has no other recourse but to abide and grumble (and look to appealing to a higher Court), might that not be a sign that the injunction is indeed legal, and not overreach on the part of the judge? If that judge was indeed overstepping his authority, could he not be simply ignored or censured?
They have recourse and are moving forward with that. This judge has thrown out years of precedent and the very same thing liberals have argued to keep the states from protecting their own borders. It will be reversed and quickly.
Old 26th April 2017, 07:14 PM   #75
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
Aww....
Winning too much?

Ask your fuhrer to submit something not so blatantly illegal. Report back with your findings.
Lol
Says a corrupt liberal activist judge.
Old 26th April 2017, 07:17 PM   #76
logger
Banned

No, I was asking you a question.
No you were accusing me in the petty way you usually do.
Quote:
I know you are, but what am I is no way to go through life.
Take your own advice.

Quote:
You are confusing blather with simple. Another usage issue I'm afraid.
You are confusing simple with blather. I try to say things simpler.

Last edited by logger; 26th April 2017 at 07:18 PM.
Old 26th April 2017, 07:19 PM   #77
Meadmaker

There's something I find irritating. I read a couple of articles about the ruling, and neither addressed the law at all. They talked about it in political terms. Trump wants this. Activists want that. This team won. That team lost.

Fine, fine, but.....what is the law?

I'm guessing, from content in this thread, that the ruling was based on the idea that Congress passed a law that said, "The federal government will give cities/counties/local entities money" and Trump's executive order attached strings to that, "i.e. We won't give them any money unless they do what we want." If that's the case, then it's pretty clearly unconstitutional, but it would be nice if they actually covered that sort of thing in the articles.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2017, 07:21 PM   #78
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

No you were accusing me in the petty way you usually do.
Nothing petty about your slip:
Quote:
Are you a racist against Arabs too?
Actually quite revealing.

Quote:
I try to say things simpler.
Yes, quite simple. Except when it's blather.

WS

Last edited by Resume; 26th April 2017 at 07:26 PM.
Old 26th April 2017, 07:27 PM   #79
NoahFence
Banned

Lol
Says a corrupt liberal activist judge.
You people lose very poorly.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2017, 07:28 PM   #80
logger
Banned

Nothing petty about your slip:
Actually quite revealing
It could only be revealing to a dishonest person.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics