IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump supporters

View Poll Results: Which Trump supporters do you feel the least amount of sympathy for
Those who rely on Obamacare 47 48.96%
Those living near the border who may loose their homes due to the wall 15 15.63%
Those concerned about internet privacy 11 11.46%
Those with friends/relatives who were affected by immigration policies 23 23.96%
Other 38 39.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13th April 2017, 05:18 PM   #41
Armitage72
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
Trump is having the most failed first 100 days of any president ever. Great victory!

There's no need to exaggerate. I'm fairly certain that William Henry Harrison had a worse first 100 days than Trump, considering he spent 69 of them decomposing.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 05:27 PM   #42
KatieG
Rootin' Tootin' Raspberry

None of them!

Basically, if the GOP doesn't want to be called the white supremacy party, they should stop acting like they are.
-Mumbles
KatieG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 05:36 PM   #43
elemental
Scholar

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
You'd live in that night forever if you could, wouldn't you? Winning the election was victory, an end in itself. What might result from that appears not to concern you : it wasn't about who won or what they might do in office.

All that mattered was that Hillary Clinton lost. None of it was actually about Trump for you, was it? He could be any cardboard cut-out as long as he could beat Hillary Clinton.

It does seem that Hillary Clinton is the substantial character in this play, someone who's had an enormous influence on you. I think that can be said for a lot of other Trump "supporters", and whatever Trump does to them they'll still have the comfort of knowing that it would have been worse if Hillary Clinton had won. Axiomatically.
I can only conclude him and others like him, haven't met any irl so far (knock wood), see this whole thing like a sportball match. The real people's lives at stake are purely secondary. Or don't even matter at all.

Sad
elemental is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 05:46 PM   #44
The Shrike
Philosopher

No sympathy for people so easily manipulated by such an obvious con man. No sympathy for anyone who voted for someone who cannot string together a logical sentence. No sympathy for anyone who gave him an ounce of credibility after admitting to habitual sexual assault.

Edited by Agatha:  Edited to remove derailing material

Last edited by Agatha; 14th April 2017 at 12:12 PM.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 06:09 PM   #45
Seismosaurus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
There's no need to exaggerate. I'm fairly certain that William Henry Harrison had a worse first 100 days than Trump, considering he spent 69 of them decomposing.
I dunno, I think America would be far better off if Trump had followed his example.
Old 13th April 2017, 06:19 PM   #46
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by Seismosaurus View Post
What have "the left" got to do with any of Trump's failures?
Lol
I'll let you figure it out.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 06:30 PM   #47
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

The Trump supporters I have the least sympathy for are the ones who are not at any risk of losing their health insurance, their jobs, or their retirements.

I have a ton of sympathy for those who are going to get screwed from voting for Trump. They were victims of a con-man and they are going to suffer.
Old 13th April 2017, 06:39 PM   #48
elemental
Scholar

Damn upchurch, you're a really good person. For real.
elemental is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 06:49 PM   #49
skyeagle409
Master Poster

Originally Posted by logger View Post
None of that really matters, i for one knew much of this would take much more time. Trump didn't anticipate how crazy the left is, he's learning it very quickly.

I am very sure there are Trump supporters having second thoughts.

Quote:
ANGRY TRUMP SUPPORTERS ARE TURNING ON DONALD TRUMP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xg_gHBCXOi4
skyeagle409 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 07:04 PM   #50
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
I'm fairly certain that William Henry Harrison had a worse first 100 days than Trump, considering he spent 69 of them decomposing.
To be completely fair, Trump looks like he's spent 69 days decomposing. I think we should give him that credit.
Old 13th April 2017, 08:11 PM   #51
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
The Trump supporters I have the least sympathy for are the ones who are not at any risk of losing their health insurance, their jobs, or their retirements.

I have a ton of sympathy for those who are going to get screwed from voting for Trump. They were victims of a con-man and they are going to suffer.

Oh please. You haven't shown an ounce of such sympathy, and you're not fooling anyone with sense.
Old 13th April 2017, 08:18 PM   #52
Apathia
Philosopher

I confess I do feel sympathy for the Trump voters. Yes. I know they are bunch of easy marks, deluded, and in many cases stupid. Yes. I know that most of them are true believers who will defend him and vote for him again if they have the opportunity. Yes. I know that in their number are bigots and racists.

And yet I'm not keen on them suffering because of Trump, his cronies, and the Republican Party any more than I want to suffer the bastards.

I guess this is because I don't see them as a demographic It, but as people I know and encounter in life. When they get the shaft they voted for, I'll not gloat or tell them I told them so. They will get my sighs, even if the stupid fools go blaming Obama for their misfortune.

I grew up in a family of idiots. If I insisted I'd only associate with people of like intelligence and values to mine, I'd have no friends. And I'm old enough to look back on my own life and see when I was an idiot and did things under delusions that were against my well being. And I suffered because of my stupidity. So I empathize with these wretches.

Please. Do go ahead and be angry at the bozoids who voted this kyarn into office, and also all those who voted by not voting. I too grieve that we live in a nation of idiots. But when I see their faces, I can't but feel sorry for them.

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 09:21 PM   #53
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Here's another group... Farmers (who overwhelmingly supported Trump) are now worried that Trump's plans to renegotiate NAFTA will affect their sales.

http://www.grubstreet.com/2017/02/fa...-position.html
Idiots/conservatives/republickers - they deserve what they get/will get. Rectum eating deplorables!!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 09:23 PM   #54
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by blutoski View Post
It might, which will make the domestic suppliers competitive (which is the point of an import duty), but that still increases his prices, and his demand curve estimates are that there's not enough sales at that pricepoint for the business to be viable.
Remind him what a great businessman Trumpf is - that should brighten his day some!!!!!!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 09:23 PM   #55
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

Mod WarningTwenty-one posts have been removed for being off-topic. The topic of this thread is well-stated in the OP. The effect of the Democratic minority on Trump's ability to move legislation (or how Clinton may have done it differently) is off-topic, as is one's pleasure or pain at watching the election results. Please stick to the OP. Thank you.

- Loss Leader
Moderating Team
Responding to this modbox in thread will be off topic Posted By:Loss Leader

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 09:24 PM   #56
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
r/the_donald subscribers on reddit. The reddit is filled with the most foul apologists on the planet and the moderators are currently on a massive ban campaign on any subscriber who dares to question if trump is anything other than the greatest 4D chess player on planet earth. Many people over there are getting antsy over the bombing in Syria as many there were convinced the chemical attacks were a false flag event by the global elite and that trump was too smart to fall for it. After he attacked a wave of panic rippled through the pages followed quickly by mass banning. Just wait until their master, Bannon, is kicked to the curb.
Banana needs a dirt nap!!!!!!!
Old 13th April 2017, 09:57 PM   #57
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Hey, I have a better question!

Which Sesame Street character do you feel sorry for since Hillary lost the election?!?!?!?

I've been wondering this fornever!
No offense, but you are just not cut out for witty repartee!!!!
Old 14th April 2017, 04:05 AM   #58
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
Oh please. You haven't shown an ounce of such sympathy, and you're not fooling anyone with sense.
You lost me on the hilite. Did I misspell "ton" or something?
Old 14th April 2017, 04:50 AM   #59
Psi Baba
Homo Skepticalis

There is a cult of ignorance . . . nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge. -- Isaac Asimov
Psi Baba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2017, 05:57 AM   #60
sts60
Illuminator

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Hey, I have a better question!

Which Sesame Street character do you feel sorry for since Hillary lost the election?!?!?!?
Whichever one has to go to the WH Easter Egg hunt, which our corrupt and treasonous Administration is bungling like everything else (except stuffing taxpayer dollars into Trump properties).

But as to the actual topic of this thread, I voted for the ones whose insurance Trump and much of the Republican leadership is trying get rid of in order to give a fat tax cut to rich folks (as part of the process of setting up an even more ginormous tax cut for them as part of "reform"). A lot of those people are desperate, and losing insurance means they won't be able to get things like diabetes or hypertension, let alone acute illnesses, properly taken care of.

As much as I want to slap people who voted for such an obvious liar and thief and con man, I do feel sorry for those who are faced with, say, choosing between feeding their kids this month and getting abcessed teeth pulled. God, that's awful.

But at least Trump said he was going to get great, super-cheap insurance for them - an obvious lie, but at least he said that. I have a lot harder time feeling sorry for people who were married to an illegal immigrant, voted for Trump, and then are shocked when wife or hubby is deported.

I guess that's one thing (deporting more illegal immigrants) Trump is kinda following through on, with the enthusiastic help of his Cabinet Klansmen like Sessions - although, naturally, it's being done in the most ham-handed and malevolent way imaginable. We'll see how that keeps up when the big farmers and meat-packers start screaming to their pet Congressmen, once their workforce is depleted and American citizens don't flock to newly vacant low-paying, hazardous, back-breaking jobs.

Last edited by sts60; 14th April 2017 at 05:58 AM.
sts60 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2017, 07:45 AM   #61
Apathia
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post

A whole ton! That's more than I have, but as a liberal, bleeding heart, snowflake I do have a vial of tears.

As for the Trump voters who are going to get their bank accounts on polices that screw the poor and middle class, in the words of Jesus, "They have their reward."

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2017, 08:15 AM   #62
The Big Dog

One can "lose" one's home.

Shoelaces can become "loose."

Loose and lose do not mean the same thing.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2017, 08:46 AM   #63
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by Apathia View Post
A whole ton! That's more than I have, but as a liberal, bleeding heart, snowflake I do have a vial of tears.

As for the Trump voters who are going to get their bank accounts on polices that screw the poor and middle class, in the words of Jesus, "They have their reward."
That's interesting, we have the richest poor in the world and yet the middle class is hurting bigly! I wonder if the left realize these people were desperate for something new. You might feel sympathy for their plight? Especially since they've been paying the way for the poor?
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2017, 08:51 AM   #64
TraneWreck
Philosopher

That's interesting, we have the richest poor in the world and yet the middle class is hurting bigly! I wonder if the left realize these people were desperate for something new. You might feel sympathy for their plight? Especially since they've been paying the way for the poor?
No, we realized it. We just didn't anticipate that so many people in the middle class would think, "You know what's really holding me down? Mexicans and Bill Gates' tax rate."

But, of course, Trump supporters don't care about issues. If Trump and Breitbart said the big problem was squelched farts, they'd be at Trump rallies chanting, "RELEASE THE FARTS! RELEASE THE FARTS!"

As long as Trump is coyly racist and pisses liberals off, Trump supporters will be happy. That's why it's pointless to try and win those votes with, you know, actual policies aimed at helping the middle class.
TraneWreck is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2017, 09:47 AM   #65
NoahFence
Banned

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
One can "lose" one's home.

Shoelaces can become "loose."

Loose and lose do not mean the same thing.
Riveting.

Can you to "they're, their and there" next?
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2017, 09:51 AM   #66
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
Riveting.

Can you to "they're, their and there" next?
If necessary.

Thanks, tho, for posting.

The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2017, 11:01 AM   #67
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

I'm quite pleased with his court pick.
Supreme Court or royal?
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2017, 11:10 AM   #68
Mumbles
Philosopher

Hm.

The folks I have sympathy for are the folks in rural areas that are struggling. For instance, the folks in West Virginia or Kentucky that were thinking "He's going to bring back coal jobs!" Their anger is misplaced, but I do understand.

Anyone else, no sympathy.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2017, 11:14 AM   #69
TraneWreck
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Hm.

The folks I have sympathy for are the folks in rural areas that are struggling. For instance, the folks in West Virginia or Kentucky that were thinking "He's going to bring back coal jobs!" Their anger is misplaced, but I do understand.

Anyone else, no sympathy.
It's a tough phrasing of the issue. I do have a great deal of sympathy for folks in that situation and it's absurd that we don't have a stronger support system for them in this country.

But I have no sympathy for their inability to recognize that the lack of relief over previous 8 years was due to Republican obstruction of any and all efforts at stimulating the economy and providing them support. If their assessment of the problem is that we need to cut taxes for the rich and get rid of the few programs that provide them health care and other necessary resources, my sympathy - in so far as that reasoning goes - is nil.

I grew up around these mysterious white Trump people. I went to the same school. We had a library in town. Being ********** over by the economy is not an excuse for being pig-ignorant.
TraneWreck is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2017, 11:42 AM   #70
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TraneWreck View Post
It's a tough phrasing of the issue. I do have a great deal of sympathy for folks in that situation and it's absurd that we don't have a stronger support system for them in this country.

But I have no sympathy for their inability to recognize that the lack of relief over previous 8 years was due to Republican obstruction of any and all efforts at stimulating the economy and providing them support. If their assessment of the problem is that we need to cut taxes for the rich and get rid of the few programs that provide them health care and other necessary resources, my sympathy - in so far as that reasoning goes - is nil.

I grew up around these mysterious white Trump people. I went to the same school. We had a library in town. Being ********** over by the economy is not an excuse for being pig-ignorant.
Yeah, that is true, and I don't want to say that they're correct. I've said this before, even though I got a Masters in engineering - I got lucky. And so are they. I'm trying to say "yeah, bad vote...but I do get where you're coming from."

But compare to that woman who voted for Trump, even though her husband was an illegal immigrant. I feel bad for her husband, and definitely for their children. I think we can agree, having your father get yolked up by ICE is no good. But for her? None at all.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2017, 11:42 AM   #71
TraneWreck
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Yeah, that is true, and I don't want to say that they're correct. I've said this before, even though I got a Masters in engineering - I got lucky. And so are they. I'm trying to say "yeah, bad vote...but I do get where you're coming from."

But compare to that woman who voted for Trump, even though her husband was an illegal immigrant. I feel bad for her husband, and definitely for their children. I think we can agree, having your father get yolked up by ICE is no good. But for her? None at all.
Yeah, that's a good distinction.
Old 14th April 2017, 12:42 PM   #72
Roger Ramjets
Philosopher

Trump didn't anticipate how crazy the left is,
What exactly has 'the left' got to do with Trump's problems? Is ISIS 'the left'? Are the courts 'the left'? Are border guards 'the left'? Is the Freedom Caucus 'the left'?

Or perhaps, since Trump himself is responsible many of his failings, he is 'the left'!
Old 14th April 2017, 12:54 PM   #73
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
Supreme Court or royal?
Cling-on pick for trumpf. Has a (wait-for-it).......**** - load of them!!!!! All around his mouth!!!!!
Old 14th April 2017, 01:00 PM   #74
fuelair
Banned

error!!!!!my bad!!!!!
Old 14th April 2017, 01:08 PM   #75
Polaris
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
What exactly has 'the left' got to do with Trump's problems? Is ISIS 'the left'? Are the courts 'the left'? Are border guards 'the left'? Is the Freedom Caucus 'the left'?

Or perhaps, since Trump himself is responsible many of his failings, he is 'the left'!
In addition, logger repeatedly claims that "the left" has no power. How do they manage to gum up the works all the time if that's really the case?
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2017, 03:21 PM   #76
Tero
Illuminator

No need to sympathize. It's just like Christians. Had to live around them ny whole life.

Exception: Trump voters and Republicans tolerated and found common ground with among closest family, our kid's spouses and so on.

Politics blog: https://esapolitics.blogspot.com/
Parody: http://karireport.blogspot.com/
Poll: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...proval-rating/
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2017, 06:30 PM   #77
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by TraneWreck View Post

Well said and noted!!!!
Old 14th April 2017, 06:42 PM   #78
Tony Stark
Philosopher

If Trump didn't realize he was going to face a lot of opposition, he's even dumber than I thought.
Tony Stark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2017, 06:46 PM   #79
TheSupermeerkat
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
If Trump didn't realize he was going to face a lot of opposition, he's even dumber than I thought.

Cheeto Benito doesn't think that far ahead.
TheSupermeerkat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2017, 06:54 PM   #80
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by rustypouch View Post
None. Why should I feel sympathy when people get what they want?
The question was "the least amount". "None" qualifies as at the least amount.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics