IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , lying charges

Old 13th April 2017, 11:01 AM   #1
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Trump's smallest/weirdest lies

In another threat someone mentioned a lie by Trump about how well he knew Bannon. Which got me thinking...

We're all familiar with Trump's bigger lies... "Drain the swamp", "I always opposed the Iraq war", etc. Those lies certainly make sense... they might entice voters to pick him in the election. But what are some of Trump's smaller, weirder lies. The ones where he didn't HAVE to lie, where it provided no political advantage, but he still lied anyways.

For example:

- Trump denies that he pretended to be publicist John Miller, even though they have an audio recording. It wasn't a big campaign issue. He could have used it as a way to humanize himself (along the lines of "See I have a sense of humor"). Yet he clings to the claim that it wasn't him.

http://time.com/4329561/donald-trump...91-phone-call/

- Trump's lie about the size of the crowd at his swearing-in. He already won the election, so there was little reason to lie. He could have blamed low turnout on the weather.

Any other small, baffling lies that Trump has made?

I'm Mary Poppins Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 11:03 AM   #2
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Pretending Trump Steaks were still a going concern.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 11:04 AM   #3
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

On January 20th he said, ""I do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States."

I guess that's not a small lie.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 11:09 AM   #4
Tony Stark
Philosopher

That he doesn't have small hands.
Tony Stark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 11:19 AM   #5
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

The cake.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 11:34 AM   #6
portlandatheist
Illuminator

The second debate "I never tweeted that"
http://www.latimes.com/nation/politi...htmlstory.html
portlandatheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 11:38 AM   #7
portlandatheist
Illuminator

About how tall his buildings are:
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/02/n...ghts.html?_r=0
portlandatheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 11:41 AM   #8
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Didn't he deny saying that global warming was a hoax by the Chinese?

I mean, he may not have meant it, but I thought his response was, "I never said that"
Gunter Haas, the 'leading British expert,' was a graphologist who advised couples, based on their handwriting characteristics, if they were compatible for marriage. I would submit that couples idiotic enough to do this are probably quite suitable for each other. It's nice when stupid people find love. - Ludovic Kennedy
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 01:02 PM   #9
mgidm86
Philosopher

I'd like to put an order in for some better topics here. What's next, Trumps worst haircuts?
Old 13th April 2017, 01:11 PM   #10
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
I'd like to put an order in for some better topics here. What's next, Trumps worst haircuts?
Maybe a thread on the campaign promises he's kept?
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 01:14 PM   #11
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
Maybe a thread on the campaign promises he's kept?
Well, he did drain the swamp. Of course, he ended up filling it right back up again with raw sewage.

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 01:15 PM   #12
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Its the day before a long weekend, when very little of significant interest is going on. What exactly is wrong with discussing a few of the little quirks of the political system.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 13th April 2017, 02:05 PM   #13
fuelair
Banned

Trumps favorite feces meals.
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 02:16 PM   #14
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

The one he has now.* Short thread.

*Propecia Plug-n-Weave.

WS

Last edited by Resume; 13th April 2017 at 02:17 PM.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 02:27 PM   #15
Tony Stark
Philosopher

I'm pretty sure Trump only has the one astonishingly terrible haircut.
Tony Stark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 02:48 PM   #16
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Is there a problem with your browser or membership? I only ask because at the top of the topic list when I click on a subforum there is a button that says "new thread." If you're not seeing it, I suggest asking the mod team to check it out.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 04:05 PM   #17
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

The response to a call for better topics is always "start your own thread".

There is always a cure if you don't see a thread about the topic you want to discuss.
Old 13th April 2017, 04:15 PM   #18
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by portlandatheist View Post
That made my day! I'm going to start advertising my mobile home as eleven stories, because why not?
Old 14th April 2017, 09:39 AM   #19
TraneWreck
Philosopher

This one seems to be somewhere between little and big:

http://digbysblog.blogspot.com/2017/...n-hacking.html

90 days for the "real story" about the hacking.

Still waiting.
TraneWreck is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2017, 09:41 AM   #20
TraneWreck
Philosopher

Originally Posted by portlandatheist View Post
This is actually true, but it's weird/disturbing. While being interviewed on 9-11, he makes sure to point out that after the collapse of the WTC towers, his building was now the tallest:

Quote:
“Forty Wall Street actually was the second-tallest building in downtown Manhattan, and it was, actually, before the World Trade Center, was the tallest,” Trump said. “And then when they built the World Trade Center, it became known as the second-tallest, and now it’s the tallest.”
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...-building.html

Such a great instinct for the important issues.
TraneWreck is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2017, 06:38 PM   #21
Molinaro
Illuminator

Since truth is the topic of this thread I'm going to stick this here. Just put away your irony meters first or they will be exploding!

Kellyanne Conway is asked about how she takes it personally, the things said about her. Her response at the 0:25 mark of the interview is " ... just because somebody says something doesn't make it true... "

If only she understood those words!

CNN Video of Interview

Last edited by Molinaro; 14th April 2017 at 06:39 PM.
Molinaro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2017, 09:05 PM   #22
portlandatheist
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
That made my day! I'm going to start advertising my mobile home as eleven stories, because why not?
Your mobile home is the best mobile home. Believe me, everybody agrees. So there is no problem with your mobile home. Other people's mobile homes? Loser mobile homes. Fake news. Sad!
Old 14th April 2017, 11:42 PM   #23
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
That's absolutely worth it. I'm drinking my morning coffee and watching out of the kitchen window of our summer place, and the view is so much better now that it's on the 17th floor.
Old 15th April 2017, 06:37 AM   #24
Molinaro
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Its the day before a long weekend, when very little of significant interest is going on. What exactly is wrong with discussing a few of the little quirks of the political system.

Lies told by the President are now demoted to little quirks?
Old 15th April 2017, 02:36 PM   #25
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
"At some Trump buildings, it can be hard to detect any mathematical principle at work in the floor count."
Why not indeed?

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2017, 02:21 AM   #26
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Trump's smallest/weirdest lies
Are you referring to the time when Trump's mouth was closed?
Old 19th April 2017, 09:50 AM   #27
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Molinaro View Post
Quote:
What exactly is wrong with discussing a few of the little quirks of the political system.
Lies told by the President are now demoted to little quirks?
Its certainly not good that the U.S. has a compulsive liar in charge. But not all lies have equal significance.

An obvious lie (e.g. "Drain the swamp") means more than something like "I didn't pretend to be my own publicist", because one of them has a positive political effect, the other is just... weird.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 19th April 2017, 09:51 AM   #28
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
Are you referring to the time when Trump's mouth was closed?
No, because he can lie in his tweets as well.

Unless he's not actually able to type without moving his lips.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 19th April 2017, 09:58 AM   #29
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

No, because he can lie in his tweets as well.

Unless he's not actually able to type without moving his lips.
He's not. He tells someone else what to type. His fingers are too short to use the keyboard.
Old 19th April 2017, 10:54 AM   #30
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

It is difficult for a sitting President to tell small lies since everything they say is news, however Trump has told plenty of weird lies.

The most recent weird lie that I know of involves the "armada" that he sent to the area of Korea when in fact this same battle group was already committed to the Indian Ocean to do some training exercises with the Australian navy instead.
Old 19th April 2017, 11:12 AM   #31
crescent
Philosopher

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
That's absolutely worth it. I'm drinking my morning coffee and watching out of the kitchen window of our summer place, and the view is so much better now that it's on the 17th floor.
That's nothing. I live in Denver - that's 528 floors up.

The view is astounding.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2017, 03:09 AM   #32
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
It is difficult for a sitting President to tell small lies since everything they say is news, however Trump has told plenty of weird lies.

The most recent weird lie that I know of involves the "armada" that he sent to the area of Korea when in fact this same battle group was already committed to the Indian Ocean to do some training exercises with the Australian navy instead.
How is the president supposed to know what a fleet is doing? He has no way to find out, Fox and Friends backed him up after all, so his morning briefing was in agreement with him.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2017, 01:36 PM   #33
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
I figure that wasn't so much a 'lie' as a 'screw up based on incompetence'.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 22nd April 2017, 02:57 AM   #34
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

I figure that wasn't so much a 'lie' as a 'screw up based on incompetence'.
Trump's lies are fractal in nature - the level of truth in the big things is the same as in the small things.

That's one reason why it is so scary. Normal people don't lie about things that they know are easily disproved and which they consider unimportant. To do otherwise, is indicative of something wrong.

I do think that the partially true statement by Trump about his buildings being the Tallest in Manhattan fit in with this behaviour. I think that Snopes is being generous to Trump, given his other narcissistic behaviours.

http://www.snopes.com/trump-bragged-tallest-building/

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2017, 01:42 PM   #35
Toontown
Philosopher

Small weird people tell small weird lies. And have no reason to live.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics