IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags afghanistan war , donald trump , US-Afghanistan relations

Old 13th April 2017, 12:50 PM   #1
Childlike Empress
Banned

Trump drops Mother Of All Bombs on Afghanistan

BOOM

Originally Posted by Wall Street Journal
“It was another successful event,” President Donald Trump said of the bombing in brief comments at a White House event.

“We have given them total authorization,” he said of the military, though he left unclear whether he personally authorized it.

The MOAB is a 21,000-pound satellite-guided bomb first delivered to the military for use in 2003 and designed as much for its deterrence effect as its battlefield capabilities.

Never used before. One of the reasons why I thought Trump will be the lesser evil compared to Killary is that there will be resistance to further wars, including from his base, instead of just bending over like in the Obama years. So far it seems the only anti-war protests are literally held by Nazis, while "the left" protests for free buttseks and hash cookies or something, if anything.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 12:57 PM   #2
Fizil
Muse

Is there anyone here who knows a lot about MOABs? I keep seeing news stories saying the blast radius is 1 mile, which is just absurd. As far as I know, the effective blast radius of a MOAB is somewhere between 100-200 meters, not even close to 1 mile. So either my understanding of how a MOAB works is seriously flawed, or someone seriously miscommunicated something to the journalists somewhere.
Fizil is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 12:59 PM   #3
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
BOOM

Never used before. One of the reasons why I thought Trump will be the lesser evil compared to Killary is that there will be resistance to further wars, including from his base, instead of just bending over like in the Obama years. So far it seems the only anti-war protests are literally held by Nazis, while "the left" protests for free buttseks and hash cookies or something, if anything.
Quote:
The MOAB is a 21,000-pound satellite-guided bomb first delivered to the military for use in 2003 and designed as much for its deterrence effect as its battlefield capabilities.

Hey it isn't much of a deterrence until you show it off by dropping it on someone.
Old 13th April 2017, 01:00 PM   #4
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Fizil View Post
Is there anyone here who knows a lot about MOABs? I keep seeing news stories saying the blast radius is 1 mile, which is just absurd. As far as I know, the effective blast radius of a MOAB is somewhere between 100-200 meters, not even close to 1 mile. So either my understanding of how a MOAB works is seriously flawed, or someone seriously miscommunicated something to the journalists somewhere.

It detonates in the air and blasts downward, supposedly caving in tunnels 'n stuff. The blast in the vids is huge.
Old 13th April 2017, 01:02 PM   #5
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Never used before. One of the reasons why I thought Trump will be the lesser evil compared to Killary is that there will be resistance to further wars...
Why exactly would you have thought that?

Trump supported the Iraq war and the Libyan bombing, so obviously he had no problem using U.S. military forces. (The big difference between Trump and other candidates is that Trump lied about his support, and the media didn't call him on it strongly enough.)

Add in the fact that Trump campaigned on a strengthened military, and the fact that he is inexperienced in foreign politics, and it it should have been obvious that he would get the U.S. involved in more armed conflicts.

I'm Mary Poppins Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 01:05 PM   #6
Childlike Empress
Banned

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post

You could have deduced it if you hadn't cut off my sentence in half. Resistance from the society.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 01:12 PM   #7
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

You could have deduced it if you hadn't cut off my sentence in half. Resistance from the society.
Yes, you did say that. But that is in itself a flawed argument for a number of reasons:
- Trump seems to have no problems taking actions that his "base" doesn't approve of or would actually harm them. What exactly do you think his "base" will do?

- Not all republicans are resistant to the use of military action

I'm Mary Poppins Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 01:15 PM   #8
Childlike Empress
Banned

Yes, you did say that. But that is in itself a flawed argument for a number of reasons:
- Trump seems to have no problems taking actions that his "base" doesn't approve of or would actually harm them. What exactly do you think his "base" will do?

- Not all republicans are resistant to the use of military action

That wasn't an "argument", that was my 5 cents on the developing event. Feel free to add your own and spare us this empty nonsensical attempt at deflection.
Old 13th April 2017, 01:18 PM   #9
Tony Stark
Philosopher

I'm not sure why you would think that anybody would be bothered much about a big bomb being dropped on ISIS caves in Afghanistan.

Also, aren't you a Putin fanboy? Does it bother what he is doing in Syria?
Tony Stark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 01:21 PM   #10
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
It detonates in the air and blasts downward, supposedly caving in tunnels 'n stuff. The blast in the vids is huge.
Last I heard, it is a really big fuel-air bomb. First effect is the overpressure- crushes things and burns things and moves things apart. As oxygen is used up, it creates a partial vacuum which pulls stuff apart including pulling internal parts out - especially lungs and such. Makes the burial/cleanup crews think hard about continuing to fight the people who dropped it!!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 01:22 PM   #11
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Why would you think that there would be resistance to something like dropping a bomb?
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 01:24 PM   #12
fuelair
Banned

It is also called an over/underpressure bomb - which is how I found military info on line for it around 2002/3.............
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 01:42 PM   #13
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Is there any footage or pics of this drop?

All the video and stills I can find are from test drops. Mostly from the one at Eglin AFB.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 01:53 PM   #14
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

The exact figure may be classified, but I agree that it's unlikely to be anywhere near 1 mile.

The test footage is apparently of ground impact detonation, so with that we don't get the full effect, and the camera is so far away anyway...

LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 01:56 PM   #15
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
Last I heard, it is a really big fuel-air bomb. First effect is the overpressure- crushes things and burns things and moves things apart. As oxygen is used up, it creates a partial vacuum which pulls stuff apart including pulling internal parts out - especially lungs and such. Makes the burial/cleanup crews think hard about continuing to fight the people who dropped it!!!!

I had heard that it was just a lot of high explosives because above a certain point, it becomes difficult to properly atomize or disperse a that much fuel for a fuel-air device. The Russians claim a larger one, a proper fuel air device, but you know...

The news today said it wasn't used to penetrate bunkers but to explode above them (hence the air burst part of the name) and the shockwave was so powerful it penetrated the earth and cement to the tunnels and just killed people inside.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?

Last edited by Beerina; 13th April 2017 at 01:57 PM.
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 01:58 PM   #16
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Dynamite always blows down.
Moe Howard.

Old 13th April 2017, 02:09 PM   #17
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

It is not a FAE / thermobaric device.

It is filled with conventional explosives, supposedly H6.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Composition_H6

Old 13th April 2017, 02:10 PM   #18
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Beerina View Post
The news today said it wasn't used to penetrate bunkers but to explode above them
Indeed, the MOAB is not a penetrator. For that, we've got the MOP. The MOP is actually heavier than the MOAB (30,000 lbs vs 22,600 lbs), but the MOAB has a lot more explosives than the MOP (18,700 lbs vs 5,300 lbs). All that non-explosive weight of the MOP is basically armor to allow the bomb to stay intact while it penetrates deep underground before exploding.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 02:33 PM   #19
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
It is also called an over/underpressure bomb - which is how I found military info on line for it around 2002/3.............
I think of your sig line a lot, but it says SMALL explosive ... I prefer the precision to scorched earth over the danger of a 1 mile radius (or diameter), whatever. It probably killed a few hamsters.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 02:47 PM   #20
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Never used before. One of the reasons why I thought Trump will be the lesser evil compared to Killary is that there will be resistance to further wars, including from his base, instead of just bending over like in the Obama years.
Your English is impeccable but you missed certain nuanced aspects of the zeitgeist here in the U.S. There was absolutely no reason to believe that Trump would be more restrained in use of force. He talked about America First but he also wanted a big bump in the military budget. For what? If we're not going to have frigates in the Mediterranean or aircraft carriers near North Korea or overseas military bases in Afghanistan or salvos of Tomahawks ... then what would he want the money for?

Trump's use of force and his hyperbole probably play well to Middle Eastern audiences - I know I am stereotyping but it's true I think - and if we can have a show of force for the time being it will satisfy people. Americans don't like it when the (U.S.) war dead start showing up and I HOPE they have a dawning awareness that the U.S. has a *place* in the world - and that America is not the *whole world.*

Trump was shocked that military actions kill civilians. I hope this sensitivity is burned into his brain and that he knows many, many babies die each year, not just the ones in the gas-attack town, and that it's wrong. He could go full-on megalomaniac; too soon to tell.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 03:12 PM   #21
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare

To give a comparison hiroshi a was 16.000 tons equivalent tnt roughly so equivalent roughly of 32.000.000 pounds, and destroyed stuff / started fire in a radius of 1 mile. So a blast yield of 11 tons tnt will be much much lower.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 03:26 PM   #22
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

I have to suspend judgment until more info comes in, but I am leery of the fact that the only "win" with a bump in approval Trump has had was when he made something go boom. Now he's done it again, big-league. Time will tell.
Old 13th April 2017, 03:35 PM   #23
Childlike Empress
Banned

Snowden points out that those tunnel complexes were build and paid for by the US.

$314 Million is the cost of a MOAB, apparently. Sometimes the way down is more difficult than the way up. Or was it the other way around?

Last edited by Childlike Empress; 13th April 2017 at 03:42 PM.
Old 13th April 2017, 04:02 PM   #24
Reheat
Illuminator

The shock wave diameter of a # 3,000 Bomb is about 1/4 mile, maybe a little more. I don't really know the blast radius. They are quite rare nowadays. I don't think the blast radius on a MOAB would be 1 mile, but I'd guess the shock wave diameter would cover that distance.
Old 13th April 2017, 04:06 PM   #25
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Is there any footage or pics of this drop?

All the video and stills I can find are from test drops. Mostly from the one at Eglin AFB.
Every one I've seen was from 2003. (14 years ago!) I imagine they've made a few improvements since then.

One piece of data I have not heard. How many of them do we have?
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 04:15 PM   #26
Shadowdweller
Graduate Poster

Never used before. One of the reasons why I thought Trump will be the lesser evil compared to Killary is that there will be resistance to further wars, including from his base, instead of just bending over like in the Obama years.

You don't actually have the faintest clue about the nature of US politics, do you?
Shadowdweller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 04:16 PM   #27
NoahFence
Banned

BOOM

Never used before. One of the reasons why I thought Trump will be the lesser evil compared to Killary is that there will be resistance to further wars.
Oh that's adorable!
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 05:20 PM   #28
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
I have to suspend judgment until more info comes in, but I am leery of the fact that the only "win" with a bump in approval Trump has had was when he made something go boom. Now he's done it again, big-league. Time will tell.
"Bomb the hell out of ISIS -- check! What else did I say?"
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 05:23 PM   #29
logger
Banned

Trump supported the Iraq war and the Libyan bombing, so obviously he had no problem using U.S. military forces. (The big difference between Trump and other candidates is that Trump lied about his support, and the media didn't call him on it strongly enough.)

Then it should be easy for you to prove that.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 05:24 PM   #30
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Trump was shocked that military actions kill civilians. I hope this sensitivity is burned into his brain and that he knows many, many babies die each year, not just the ones in the gas-attack town, and that it's wrong. He could go full-on megalomaniac; too soon to tell.
Only expect sensitivity if the babies are shown on Fox with sad music.
Old 13th April 2017, 05:32 PM   #31
The Shrike
Philosopher

Yeah, yeah - big boom. So? Was it a legit ISIS target and has it now been neutralized?
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 05:52 PM   #32
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

BOOM

Yet here you have your vaunted Putin puppet engaging in war that you claim you do not want. Are you admitting you were wrong, changing your mind, denying it, or something else unspecified?

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 06:13 PM   #33
Childlike Empress
Banned

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Yet here you have your vaunted Putin puppet engaging in war that you claim you do not want. Are you admitting you were wrong, changing your mind, denying it, or something else unspecified?

You were already called on your delusions which apparently include that I ever thought that Trump is a Putin Puppet. I advise you to just find a ventile to let off brainwashed Shillary steam. We can take after that.

Last edited by Childlike Empress; 13th April 2017 at 06:14 PM.
Old 13th April 2017, 06:15 PM   #34
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Mother of all bombs sounds kinda nice. Like she cares. You still get blown to bits, but in a gentle, loving way.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 06:20 PM   #35
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
Mother of all bombs sounds kinda nice. Like she cares. You still get blown to bits, but in a gentle, loving way.
That's why the Russians invented the Father of All Bombs: to let you know you're really gonna get it this time.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 06:43 PM   #36
Frank Newgent
Philosopher

Test run.
Old 13th April 2017, 06:50 PM   #37
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
That's why the Russians invented the Father of All Bombs: to let you know you're really gonna get it this time.
Bet their bomb smells like cheap vodka.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 07:01 PM   #38
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

It must be upsetting to Trump that it almost spells OBAMA on the side.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 07:08 PM   #39
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

You were already called on your delusions which apparently include that I ever thought that Trump is a Putin Puppet. I advise you to just find a ventile to let off brainwashed Shillary steam. We can take after that.
Who?

ETA: Oh wait. You meant Hillary Clinton, right? That idiot? Let's clear the decks on that one. Hillary Clinton is a flat out moronic idiot. I remain unsure why you imagine my opinion might be otherwise. Or why you think I might be American. I have visited a few times, but I wouldn't want to live there, nor be a citizen of it. Trump has not helped that opinion.

...love and buttercakes...

Last edited by abaddon; 13th April 2017 at 07:19 PM.
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2017, 07:13 PM   #40
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
Bet their bomb smells like cheap vodka.
Actually it's the other way around: Russia's cheap vodka smells like an air fuel bomb.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics