IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Mike Pence , refugees

Old 22nd April 2017, 01:10 PM   #1
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Pence Down Under

Mike Pence has been in Australia to reassure the government that the Australia-US refugee deal would still go ahead in spite of Trump's reservations.

Malcolm "Trumble" was embarrassed earlier this year when Donald Trump tweeted that the deal was "dumb" and hung up on Turnbull 40 minutes early in a telephone conversation.
Quote:
Pence made the commitment -- subject to the refugees passing stringent US vetting procedures -- at a joint news conference in Sydney with Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull, with whom Trump reportedly had a testy first call because of the refugee issue.

"Let me make it clear that the United States intends to honor the agreement, subject to the result of the vetting process that has now applied to all refugees considered for admission to the United States of America," said Pence, who is in Australia as part of a 10-day Asia-Pacific tour.

"President Trump has made it clear that we'll honor the agreement, but it doesn't mean we admire the agreement," he added.
http://edition.cnn.com/2017/04/22/po...inkId=36780493

I'm not sure that this visit will do much for Australia-US relations. When you have to deal with the VP instead of the POTUS then you know that you have slipped a long way down the totem pole.
Old 22nd April 2017, 03:21 PM   #2
TubbaBlubba
Knave of the Dudes

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
I'm not sure that this visit will do much for Australia-US relations. When you have to deal with the VP instead of the POTUS then you know that you have slipped a long way down the totem pole.
Would you rather have Trump visit?
Old 22nd April 2017, 03:41 PM   #3
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by TubbaBlubba View Post
Would you rather have Trump visit?
I know which person I would rather see. Unfortunately the message remains that Turnbull isn't important enough for Trump.
Old 22nd April 2017, 04:54 PM   #4
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

I know which person I would rather see. Unfortunately the message remains that Turnbull isn't important enough for Trump.
Or that he's important enough that he gets the coherent one.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2017, 04:57 PM   #5
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Oz better watch out. I hear tell we sent an armada their way!
Old 22nd April 2017, 06:07 PM   #6
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Every President since (and including) George H W has visited Australia. We have been strong allies for a very long time. If Trump doesn't visit, it will be a major snub.

But I don't expect him to come. It would play havoc with his golf schedule.......

He also would not be welcome, and protests would be large and vociferous.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2017, 06:46 PM   #7
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
You just have to sell that right. The protests will be YUGE! The BEST protests that any president has ever had.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2017, 06:50 PM   #8
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Australia is full of toxic and venomous critters. One more won't stand out.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2017, 12:39 AM   #9
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
Australia is full of toxic and venomous critters. One more won't stand out.
Trump would get a wrapped shoebox as a present, with a card that says "Don't Open Until You Get To Mar-a-Lago Again!"

Also, did you know snakes can go for days without eating?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2017, 01:10 AM   #10
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

This is not particular to Australia. Trump has been happy hanging out at his luxury golf resort while other people do the foreign visits.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2017, 06:27 AM   #11
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
This is not particular to Australia. Trump has been happy hanging out at his luxury golf resort while other people do the foreign visits.
Well, if there isn't a gilded carriage ride, what's the point? Just skype it.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2017, 06:43 AM   #12
fuelair
Banned

Every President since (and including) George H W has visited Australia. We have been strong allies for a very long time. If Trump doesn't visit, it will be a major snub.

But I don't expect him to come. It would play havoc with his golf schedule.......

I would pay to watch trumpf box a kangaroo.. And would especially enjoy watching officials picking up the little trumpf pieces for the funeral!!!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2017, 04:50 AM   #13
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Give him a golf course there, that will get him to come.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2017, 07:10 AM   #14
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Give him a golf course there, that will get him to come.
Hell, give him an enema there - all his insides (ie, the feces that fill out his skin) will rush out and they can put the minor externals in a small box and ship it to Putin to wear.
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2017, 07:42 AM   #15
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

On the other hand, if he hears about the sandbelt, he may want to make an extended trip.
i loves the little birdies they goes tweet tweet tweet hee hee i loves them they sings to each other tweet twet tweet hee hee i loves them they is so cute i love yje little birdies little birdies in the room when birfies sings ther is no gloom i lobes the little birdies they goess tweet tweet tweet hee hee hee i loves them they sings me to sleep sing me to slrrp now little birdies - The wisdom of Shemp.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2017, 02:00 PM   #16
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Trump hates to travel and dislikes sleeping in strange rooms. WHen a private citizen, when he had to travel oversees he prefereed just staying in a city for a few hours and then flying back in his private jet rather then sleep in a strange room, even if the room was in one o fhis own hotels.
In a private citizen, that quirk is harmless to everybody but the individual involved, but as president that is going to hurt the prestige of the US.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics