IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , libel laws , Reince Priebus , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 30th April 2017, 11:17 AM   #1
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Trump looking into changing libel laws

Quote:
Reince Priebus, the president's chief of staff, said during an interview on ABC's "This Week" on Sunday that the White House has discussed potential changes to laws that are intended to safeguard free speech.

"How it gets executed or whether that goes anywhere is a different story," Priebus said. But he added that he thinks "newspapers and news agencies need to be more responsible with how they report the news."

Changing the laws wouldn't be easy. Libel laws vary by state, and there's no federal libel law. And weakening press freedoms would likely take a constitutional amendment.
http://money.cnn.com/2017/04/30/medi...us-libel-laws/

In other words he wants to prevent the media from reporting things he doesn't like.

Good luck with that you fascist piece of ****.
Tony Stark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2017, 11:47 AM   #2
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

The party of small government, except when they're not.
Old 30th April 2017, 12:00 PM   #3
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Trump's alt-reality where he believes he is King.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 30th April 2017 at 12:02 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2017, 12:01 PM   #4
chrispy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
The party of small government, except when they're not.
This ^^^^ . Considering how any news he disagrees with is "fake news", this is a disturbing thought.
chrispy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2017, 01:05 PM   #5
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by chrispy View Post
This ^^^^ . Considering how any news he disagrees with is "fake news", this is a disturbing thought.
What's disturbing is that he is telling his cult that it's fake news and they're believing it. This would be one of those times when it would be nice to know if he is actually delusional, but seriously: At what point does Presidential lying become a high crime or misdemeanor?
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2017, 01:10 PM   #6
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

We have a president who doesn't believe in Democracy.
Should be reason enough to impeach him.
Old 30th April 2017, 01:25 PM   #7
NoahFence
Banned

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
We have a president who doesn't believe in Democracy.
Should be reason enough to impeach him.
Really. That alone should be more than enough.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2017, 01:29 PM   #8
Mumbles
Philosopher

Did anyone tell him that libel is covered by state laws, and not federal?

Has anyone explained the first amendment to him?

Just kidding, we already know he has no respect for the constitution.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2017, 01:56 PM   #9
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I'll wager, just another Trump Reality TV gimmick.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2017, 02:03 PM   #10
BobTheCoward
Banned

What would even a state changing libel laws even look like?
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2017, 03:03 PM   #11
NoahFence
Banned

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
What would even a state changing libel laws even look like?
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2017, 03:21 PM   #12
Molinaro
Illuminator

Any change to libel laws that lets Trump get sued every time he lies would be a good change.
Old 30th April 2017, 04:35 PM   #13
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Jesus Christ...

I feel like the country is the frog in the pot and the temperature is being increased ever so much every day. But I'm one of the few people that feels the heat.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2017, 04:48 PM   #14
p0lka
Illuminator

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
What's disturbing is that he is telling his cult that it's fake news and they're believing it. This would be one of those times when it would be nice to know if he is actually delusional, but seriously: At what point does Presidential lying become a high crime or misdemeanor?
At the point where the people react against it I would suppose?
Its on the people, call him out on it.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2017, 04:49 PM   #15
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

"I did not have sexual relations with that woman."

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2017, 04:52 PM   #16
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Jesus Christ...

I feel like the country is the frog in the pot and the temperature is being increased ever so much every day. But I'm one of the few people that feels the heat.
Keeping the Education in ISF

I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2017, 06:18 PM   #17
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
"I did not have sexual relations with that woman."
Let's not revisit that*!

*At least you got the quote right.
Old 30th April 2017, 06:24 PM   #18
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
Let's not revisit that*!

*At least you got the quote right.
I wouldn't worry, it's only consider a High Crime if it's said by a Democrat.

Old 30th April 2017, 06:25 PM   #19
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Jesus Christ...

Worse still, some of the other frogs in the pot with you are cheering for the increase in heat, not realizing they're in the same pot.
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2017, 07:09 PM   #20
BobTheCoward
Banned

Rather than generic BS talk, does anyone anywhere have a bullet point on how people want to amend libel laws?
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2017, 07:14 PM   #21
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Rather than generic BS talk, does anyone anywhere have a bullet point on how people want to amend libel laws?
Does anyone have a bullet point on how Trump is going to implement any of his policies?
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2017, 07:19 PM   #22
BobTheCoward
Banned

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Does anyone have a bullet point on how Trump is going to implement any of his policies?
I didn't say Trump because I wasn't asking about Trump. I'm looking for any effort to change libel laws.
Old 30th April 2017, 07:23 PM   #23
Tony Stark
Philosopher

I didn't say Trump because I wasn't asking about Trump. I'm looking for any effort to change libel laws.
I think Trump is the only one who cares about changing libel laws. He can't stand the fact that the media is allowed to run negative stories about him.
Tony Stark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2017, 07:31 PM   #24
rdwight
Graduate Poster

I would love to know exactly what he is looking to change in relation to libel laws. The fact that he is looking to change them in relation to the press given his position is especially troubling.
rdwight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2017, 07:45 PM   #25
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

Could be it's just a Trump mind game, telling his cult that the press are their enemy and he's gonna go after them.

Or, he's mentally ill.

Hard to tell, ain't it.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2017, 07:46 PM   #26
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by rdwight View Post
I would love to know exactly what he is looking to change in relation to libel laws. The fact that he is looking to change them in relation to the press given his position is especially troubling.
"I'm going to open up our libel laws so when they write purposely negative and horrible and false articles, we can sue them and win lots of money.”

It's as close to policy as we've been given.

Old 30th April 2017, 07:57 PM   #27
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Not only is he a thin-skinned, anti-American, narcissist extraordinaire. The pathetic SOB constantly libels people like there's no tomorrow. Two scoops of irony, extra nuts.
Old 30th April 2017, 08:01 PM   #28
rdwight
Graduate Poster

"I'm going to open up our libel laws so when they write purposely negative and horrible and false articles, we can sue them and win lots of money.”

Has there ever been a case of a President suing news organizations for libel? Openly questioning or disagreeing is one thing, but expanding protections for a specific office which is probably the most important position to leave open to criticism is another.

[Edit] To expand libel laws specifically to give more power to the office of the President to attack those that disagree with him, or even more specifically to Trump is a dangerous precedent to set. If libel laws are inadequate all of a sudden, well, tough luck.

Last edited by rdwight; 30th April 2017 at 08:05 PM.
rdwight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2017, 09:48 PM   #29
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

I wouldn't worry, it's only consider a High Crime if it's said by a Democrat.
Er...okay.
Old 30th April 2017, 10:05 PM   #30
SezMe
post-pre-born

Which, it turns out, is also approximately the same level of policy he's given on ANY issue he's spoken about. It's easily described as squat-all.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2017, 10:07 PM   #31
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Why?

It's nothing but bull ****. Why would any of us be taking Trump seriously on this?
Old 30th April 2017, 10:08 PM   #32
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Could be it's just a Trump mind game, telling his cult that the press are their enemy and he's gonna go after them.

Or, he's mentally ill.

Hard to tell, ain't it.
Trump Reality TV explains everything.
Old 30th April 2017, 10:09 PM   #33
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Not only is he a thin-skinned, anti-American, narcissist extraordinaire. The pathetic SOB constantly libels people like there's no tomorrow. Two scoops of irony, extra [shriveled] nuts.
ftfy
Old 30th April 2017, 10:16 PM   #34
BobTheCoward
Banned

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Why?

It's nothing but bull ****. Why would any of us be taking Trump seriously on this?
Because my question doesn't take Trump seriously and isn't ultimately about Trump. I'm curious what is actually out there on politicians trying to change libel laws.

If this was the tax thread, and you pointed out scrapping the AMT was just garbage he said, I still might ask what other groups oppose the AMT.
Old 30th April 2017, 10:26 PM   #35
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Not only is he a thin-skinned, anti-American, narcissist extraordinaire. The pathetic SOB constantly libels people like there's no tomorrow. Two scoops of irony, extra nuts.
You left out his constant mouth full of ******!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2017, 10:27 PM   #36
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Because my question doesn't take Trump seriously and isn't ultimately about Trump. I'm curious what is actually out there on politicians trying to change libel laws....
Let me restate my answer. Nothing! D'uh!
Old 30th April 2017, 10:29 PM   #37
rdwight
Graduate Poster

Because my question doesn't take Trump seriously and isn't ultimately about Trump. I'm curious what is actually out there on politicians trying to change libel laws.

If this was the tax thread, and you pointed out scrapping the AMT was just garbage he said, I still might ask what other groups oppose the AMT.
Other politicians aren't relevant in the discussion really. Trump is top-down encouraging an attempt to stifle the free press with the threat of expanding libel laws to cover what he feels are attacks on his person. I do not personally remember any President in recent memory encouraging this. Nor any nameable politician of note.

Whether others in the political arena have put forward any equivalent statements is besides the point, as the office of President is a specific position with specific power. Limiting criticism and reporting in regards to that specific office or in general within politics but manifested from that specific position I feel is quite different than that of other senior held members within government.
Old 30th April 2017, 10:40 PM   #38
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by rdwight View Post
Whether others in the political arena have put forward any equivalent statements is besides the point, as the office of President is a specific position with specific power. Limiting criticism and reporting in regards to that specific office or in general within politics but manifested from that specific position I feel is quite different than that of other senior held members within government.
It's impossible to tell since there isn't any actual policy, but maybe he meant opening them up so that anyone could sue a newspaper if they thought a story was "purposely negative." That would be a ludicrous mess.
Old 30th April 2017, 11:03 PM   #39
rdwight
Graduate Poster

It's impossible to tell since there isn't any actual policy, but maybe he meant opening them up so that anyone could sue a newspaper if they thought a story was "purposely negative." That would be a ludicrous mess.
"Purposely negative" is definitely a stretch but purposely irresponsible as put forward by Priebus is just as problematic. Especially in combination with Trump's comments on unnamed sources. Imagine the press being sued with their only defense being the naming and admittance of confidential sources to confirm their stories and reporting.

Last edited by rdwight; 30th April 2017 at 11:06 PM.
Old 30th April 2017, 11:38 PM   #40
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Did anyone tell him that libel is covered by state laws, and not federal?

Has anyone explained the first amendment to him?

Just kidding, we already know he has no respect for the constitution.

I kinda wonder if he even has an awareness of it.

Beyond the level of, "Oh, yeah. That Constitution thingy. So what?", that is.

He hears people talking about it from time to time, but aside from that he's clueless.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics