IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , libel laws , Reince Priebus , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 30th April 2017, 11:40 PM   #41
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Did anyone tell him that libel is covered by state laws, and not federal?

Has anyone explained the first amendment to him?

Just kidding, we already know he has no respect for the constitution.
No knowledge or understanding of it, actually. Completely clueless.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2017, 11:46 PM   #42
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
I think Trump is the only one who cares about changing libel laws. He can't stand the fact that the media is allowed to run negative stories tell the truth about him.

FTFY.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2017, 01:09 AM   #43
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
"I'm going to open up our libel laws so when they write purposely negative and horrible and false articles, we can sue them and win lots of money.”

It's as close to policy as we've been given.
Hillary must be jumping with joy, and probably got the catalogues from "Super yachts for the super wealthy" open at the moment deciding whether she can make do with a mere 200ft yacht or go all out for the 500 footer.
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2017, 01:10 AM   #44
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Because my question doesn't take Trump seriously and isn't ultimately about Trump. I'm curious what is actually out there on politicians trying to change libel laws.

If this was the tax thread, and you pointed out scrapping the AMT was just garbage he said, I still might ask what other groups oppose the AMT.
This is a thread about Trump's reforms. Perhaps start a new thread if you want to talk about other people's reforms?
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2017, 01:24 AM   #45
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

On some corners of the internet I've seen it proposed that a central committee would establish "real facts" and newspapers would have to run every article by them so they could determine if their stories were "real" or "false" with failure to do this opening them up to civil suit.

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2017, 01:52 AM   #46
stargazer0519
Scholar

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Jesus Christ...

I feel like the country is the frog in the pot and the temperature is being increased ever so much every day. But I'm one of the few people that feels the heat.
Yes, exactly. Support your local high school debate team. It's one of the few places where young teenagers learn to exercise their critical thinking skills.

The real-life, almost-instantaneous feedback from debate judges is great for teens.

Mostly, teenagers use their critical thinking skills to write papers, and they get those back days or weeks later.

You wouldn't train a puppy with feedback that happens days or weeks later, and I'm not sure the delay is that much more effective with human young.
stargazer0519 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2017, 04:58 AM   #47
Belz...
Fiend God

http://money.cnn.com/2017/04/30/medi...us-libel-laws/

In other words he wants to prevent the media from reporting things he doesn't like.

Good luck with that you fascist piece of ****.
Yeah, not going to happen.

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
The party of small government, except when they're not.
This.

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Trump's alt-reality where he believes he is King.
...and this.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2017, 05:01 AM   #48
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
What's disturbing is that he is telling his cult that it's fake news and they're believing it. This would be one of those times when it would be nice to know if he is actually delusional, but seriously: At what point does Presidential lying become a high crime or misdemeanor?
You know...

Lying under oath is a crime, right? Why didn't they make it so that elected officials were always under oath when on the job?

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
Exaggerated, but I laughed.

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
Could be it's just a Trump mind game, telling his cult that the press are their enemy and he's gonna go after them.

Or, he's mentally ill.

Hard to tell, ain't it.
In both cases he's a threat to the first amendment, at least in principle, and that alone should be enough to get him FIRED!

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2017, 05:03 AM   #49
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Hillary must be jumping with joy, and probably got the catalogues from "Super yachts for the super wealthy" open at the moment deciding whether she can make do with a mere 200ft yacht or go all out for the 500 footer.
Yeah if he DID manage to do it I'd hope this would come back to bit him in the ass.

Old 1st May 2017, 05:06 AM   #50
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
In both cases he's a threat to the first amendment, at least in principle, and that alone should be enough to get him FIRED!
"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

Should have known he was lying...

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2017, 05:08 AM   #51
Belz...
Fiend God

That's what I was refering to, exactly.

Old 1st May 2017, 05:09 AM   #52
Tony Stark
Philosopher

To be fair to Trump, he has no idea what the Constitution says.
Tony Stark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2017, 05:10 AM   #53
Belz...
Fiend God

The what?

I remember an episode of the Daily Show where Jon Stewart essentially showed right-wingers attacking every single amendment of the Constitution... except the second, of course.

Old 1st May 2017, 05:17 AM   #54
Mojo
Mostly harmless

"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

"...to the best of my ability..."

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2017, 05:17 AM   #55
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

I no more want an amendment to expand libel laws than I want an amendment to allow government to stop corporations from publishing political statements about government.

Political discourse is the most highly protected of all speech, because it is speech by the people about their own government. The court has ruled that government cannot become the arbiter of what is true and what is false in political speech. This includes deliberate lies. Those in power cannot go after those who would speak about those in power.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2017, 05:21 AM   #56
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
"...to the best of my ability..."

Where Trump is concerned that's a get-out-of-jail-free card for just about everything.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2017, 09:43 AM   #57
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Lying under oath is a crime, right? Why didn't they make it so that elected officials were always under oath when on the job?
Because sometimes a little .... umm, shall we say "obfuscation" is a valid negotiating tactic. But that leaves out Trump because he is incapable of a little white lie; no, he goes for only the bigly ones.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2017, 09:53 AM   #58
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

To be fair to Trump, he has no idea what the Constitution says.
Who knew it was so complicated?

Did you know there are more than 2 amendments.
Old 1st May 2017, 10:55 AM   #59
GodMark2
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
On some corners of the internet I've seen it proposed that a central committee would establish "real facts" and newspapers would have to run every article by them so they could determine if their stories were "real" or "false" with failure to do this opening them up to civil suit.
Put it online and we could call it Priebus' Realtime Automatic Verification Database Application.
Old 1st May 2017, 11:03 AM   #60
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Who knew it was so complicated?

Did you know there are more than 2 amendments.
I thought there was just one. The founding fathers skipped right over the first amendment and went for the second.

I'm Mary Poppins Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2017, 12:39 PM   #61
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by GodMark2 View Post
Put it online and we could call it Priebus' Realtime Automatic Verification Database Application.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2017, 08:39 PM   #62
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

How to use Libel Laws to turn a democracy into to dictatorship.
https://inforrm.wordpress.com/2015/0...n-tessa-evans/

Lee Kuan Yew in Singapore silenced all opposition with this device. First of all they were bankrupted. If they kept on going they wound up in jail because they could not pay their debts.

Quote:
A powerful weapon in Lee’s arsenal was his use of defamation actions, which were utilised in the silencing of political opponents and unfavorable media coverage from the 1970s onwards. In pursuing high profile legal challenges, the governing People’s Action Party (PAP) were able to impose tight limitations on internal and external criticism.

The risks involved in criticising Lee and other leading Singapore politicians were well known to the international media. A long list of foreign titles have lost actions in Singapore’s courts, including Time, the International Herald Tribune, the Financial Times, the Asian Wall Street Journal, Asiaweek and the Far Eastern Economic Review

In 2002 Bloomberg joined that list, reaching a S$550,000 settlement for a defamation action with Lee Kuan Yew (Senior Minister at the time), Prime Minister Goh Chok Tong and Lee’s eldest son, Deputy Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong after an article, which was not printed in Singapore, implied nepotism within the party. The case did not reach the court and was settled within three weeks.

Lee also initiated frequent legal challenges against his opponents, most notably Joshua Benjamin Jeyaretnam, who became the first opposition member of parliament in over fifteen years when he won a by-election in 1981. Jeyaretnam was embroiled in a series of damaging legal battles with Lee, which eventually forced him to declare bankruptcy.

The first of these was in 1976, when Jeyaretnam was successfully sued by the Prime Minister for remarks made in a political speech. Lee was awarded S$130,000 in damages for the remarks, which he claimed implied that he had procured preferential treatment for his family and therefore abused his office.

Lee successfully sued Jeyretnam again in 1988, who was ordered to pay him damages of S$260,000. An appeal against this decision was dismissed by the Singapore Court of Appeal ([1992] 2 SLR 310).

Last edited by a_unique_person; 1st May 2017 at 08:40 PM.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2017, 09:11 PM   #63
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

If Trump wants to emulate oppressive regimes, I'd prefer Singapore over Russia, Turkey or North Korea.
Old 1st May 2017, 09:15 PM   #64
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

This is a thread about Trump's reforms. Perhaps start a new thread if you want to talk about other people's reforms?
Let's not fall into the trap of calling Trump's proposal a "reform," as if there's a problem that needs to be solved and this is the solution. A neutral word might be "change" or "revision"; a more truthful word might be "evisceration."
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2017, 03:15 AM   #65
Armitage72
Philosopher

What's that? Revising the libel laws to keep Trump's feelings from being hurt violates the Constitution? We have a plan for that.

Quote:
A number of press reports have picked up this exchange this morning between ABC’s Jonathan Karl and White House Chief of Staff Reince Priebus. But people have missed the real significance. Priebus doesn’t discuss changing ‘press laws’ or ‘libel laws’. He specifically says that the White House has considered and continues to consider amending or even abolishing the 1st Amendment because of critical press coverage of President Trump.

KARL: I want to ask you about two things the President has said on related issues. First of all, there was what he said about opening up the libel laws. Tweeting “the failing New York Times has disgraced the media world. Gotten me wrong for two solid years. Change the libel laws?” That would require, as I understand it, a constitutional amendment. Is he really going to pursue that? Is that something he wants to pursue?

PRIEBUS: I think it’s something that we’ve looked at. How that gets executed or whether that goes anywhere is a different story. But when you have articles out there that have no basis or fact and we’re sitting here on 24/7 cable companies writing stories about constant contacts with Russia and all these other matters—

Good luck with that.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2017, 04:32 AM   #66
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

So is he going to be opening himself up to lawsuits for his lies about Obama wiretapping him? Seems like a perfect case for slander.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2017, 04:41 AM   #67
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
So is he going to be opening himself up to lawsuits for his lies about Obama wiretapping him? Seems like a perfect case for slander.
Perhaps he's thinking that there there should also be some kind of "executive privilege" to protect The President from accusations of libel relating to statements made as President.

Then again perhaps he thinks that as the statements are completely true - no libel cases can be brought.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2017, 06:46 AM   #68
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Perhaps he's thinking that there there should also be some kind of "executive privilege" to protect The President from accusations of libel relating to statements made as President.

Then again perhaps he thinks that as the statements are completely true - no libel cases can be brought.
Yep he is crazy only a crazy person would believe anything he says. That is why republicans chose him as president, you never know what he is going to say or do. That is exactly who needs to have unchecked control of nuclear weapons.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2017, 07:32 AM   #69
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Yep he is crazy only a crazy person would believe anything he says. That is why republicans chose him as president, you never know what he is going to say or do. That is exactly who needs to have unchecked control of nuclear weapons.
Luckily it isn't quite unchecked. The football doesn't have a button that launches the US's nukes in it, rather it has a set of launch options that determine specific strikes scenarios and a code allows him to identify himself and authorise one or more of those strikes. Once he has done so then the orders go to Secretary of Defence to be verified before being sent on to the commanders of the aircraft, missile silos, and submarines that have carry out the command, and it is up to them to determine if it is a lawful order that they are willing to follow. On top of that each launch site has two people that have to be in agreement that the code and order is correct, and that the order is lawful before they proceed to launch. Now the issue is that it is up to them to make the judgement call of whether it is a lawful order and that the President ordering it is sane, since there is no specific safeguard to prevent an insane President ordering a strike or prevent it being relayed to those that would carry it out.

That means that basically we're relying on the Aide that the President would discuss strategic strikes with and the Commanders themselves to act in a way to minimise the damage if an insane President ever authorised a launch.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2017, 07:36 AM   #70
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

I don't remember where, but early on I said something to the effect of "Trump is in for a shock once he learns that the First Amendment was meant to protect people's speech, now from him."
Old 2nd May 2017, 07:41 AM   #71
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
I don't remember where, but early on I said something to the effect of "Trump is in for a shock once he learns that the First Amendment was meant to protect people's speech, now from him."
Fixed.

Old 2nd May 2017, 07:44 AM   #72
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Luckily it isn't quite unchecked. The football doesn't have a button that launches the US's nukes in it, rather it has a set of launch options that determine specific strikes scenarios and a code allows him to identify himself and authorise one or more of those strikes. Once he has done so then the orders go to Secretary of Defence to be verified before being sent on to the commanders of the aircraft, missile silos, and submarines that have carry out the command, and it is up to them to determine if it is a lawful order that they are willing to follow. On top of that each launch site has two people that have to be in agreement that the code and order is correct, and that the order is lawful before they proceed to launch. Now the issue is that it is up to them to make the judgement call of whether it is a lawful order and that the President ordering it is sane, since there is no specific safeguard to prevent an insane President ordering a strike or prevent it being relayed to those that would carry it out.

That means that basically we're relying on the Aide that the President would discuss strategic strikes with and the Commanders themselves to act in a way to minimise the damage if an insane President ever authorised a launch.
No it really is just up to him, former secretaries of defense say that they can not legally stop them and it is a legal order.

See http://www.radiolab.org/story/nukes/

There are talk of laws making a nuclear first strike require someone else's agreement under proposal but current law is that it is up to the president solely.

So Secretary of Defense William Perry does not agree with you. They can try to talk the president out of it but at the end of the day he has sole discretion on the use of nuclear weapons including first strikes.
Old 2nd May 2017, 07:56 AM   #73
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

I was thinking something more along the lines of Parliamentary Privilege.

Quote:
Parliamentary privilege is a legal immunity enjoyed by members of certain legislatures, in which legislators are granted protection against civil or criminal liability for actions done or statements made in the course of their legislative duties.
Perhaps Trump was thinking something along these lines and as the President is always "on duty" so to speak then everything he says could be protected.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parliamentary_privilege
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2017, 08:03 AM   #74
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
I was thinking something more along the lines of Parliamentary Privilege.
I was pointing out that his supporters see his constantly saying contradictory things as an advantage. They want him to cause so much chaos it destroys the government so that a better one can be built.
Old 2nd May 2017, 08:11 AM   #75
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Trump to English translation... Waaaa the meanies said bad things about me. And this is the rank infantility that becomes part of the national dialog.

Carry on, I'm still adjusting to our new bizarro reality.
Old 2nd May 2017, 08:21 AM   #76
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Carry on, I'm still adjusting to our new bizarro reality.
Whatever you do, don't do that.
Old 2nd May 2017, 08:27 AM   #77
fuelair
Banned

Well, technically it is to the best of his extremely limited ability (mental capacity, ability to reason, lack of rationality.......)
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2017, 08:55 AM   #78
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
What's that? Revising the libel laws to keep Trump's feelings from being hurt violates the Constitution? We have a plan for that.

Good luck with that.
Holy cow! I'd REALLY like to be able to call Poe's Law on that. But I can't. When you Google "Priebus", the very first thing that is offered is "Priebus First Amendment". And he's supposed to be the grownup in the room.
Old 2nd May 2017, 09:08 AM   #79
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Whether it's ditching the WHCD, walking away from a (semi) tough interview question, or crabbing about libel laws (and looking into amending the 1st), there is no act of cowardice too chicken **** for this demagogue.

The Wambulance is always parked out back, ready to whisk him away to Snowflake-land and a rally of nitwits to bolster his eggshell ego.

WS
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2017, 09:42 AM   #80
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Whether it's ditching the WHCD, walking away from a (semi) tough interview question, or crabbing about libel laws (and looking into amending the 1st), there is no act of cowardice too chicken **** for this demagogue.
GOP supporters see this as being strong, failing to bend to the will of the White House correspondents and instead holding his own rally, taking decisive action to suppress fake news by tightening libel laws and putting a pushy reporter firmly in his place.

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
The Wambulance is always parked out back, ready to whisk him away to Snowflake-land and a rally of nitwits to bolster his eggshell ego.
He won't need one.

The GOP will continue to back him to the hilt and pander to his whims. They may even attempt to enact legislation to change the libel laws, safe in the knowledge that they will be defeated and that the majority voting against it will be Democratic Party representatives and so Trump can blame the Democrats for foiling him again.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics