IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 1st May 2017, 05:20 PM   #41
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Recently Donnie said being prez was tougher than he thought, he thought it would be easier. That he's also amazed at the sheer size of the federal government, bigger even than "big companies." Yesterday on the CBS' news show Face the Nation, he backed off a tad on how tough being POTUS is.
Quote:
Just days after saying he thought being president would be “easier,” Trump backtracked a bit. “It’s a tough job, but I’ve had a lot of tough jobs,” Trump said. “I’ve had things that were tougher... Link
I couldn't believe he said that. What was tougher than being President of the United States, running the New Jersey Generals football team? But I thought Donnie topped himself for sheer nonsense when he spoke about North Korean's Kim Jong Un:
Quote:
“Obviously, he's a pretty smart cookie,” Trump said of the North Korean leader. Asked about the failure of several North Korean missile tests recently, Trump said he’d “rather not discuss it. But perhaps they’re just not very good missiles. But eventually, he’ll have good missiles.”

USA to rest of world: H-E-L-P!!!
newyorkguy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st May 2017, 05:33 PM   #42
BobTheCoward
Banned

There is something weird opponents do that I don't quite understand. I have seen a lot of liberals rubbing in the fact that Trump pulled the ahca vote after saying it would happen, mocking republicans caving on the budget, and laughing as people leave Fox news.

Shouldn't they be blowing smoke up these people's butts? Shouldn't we encourage our opponents with positive reinforcement when they take action we support? It seems grave dancing actually raised the cost of compromise.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st May 2017, 05:34 PM   #43
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
The tide goes out, the tide comes in, nobody asks why.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st May 2017, 05:45 PM   #44
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Trump
I don’t stand by anything. I just — you can take it the way you want. I think our side’s been proven very strongly. And everybody’s talking about it.
This broke my Trump -> English translater.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st May 2017, 05:46 PM   #45
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
But I thought Donnie topped himself for sheer nonsense when he spoke about North Korean's Kim Jong Un:
Obviously we have here a case of dictator envy. Now what else do the letters d-i-c remind one of?

USA to rest of world: H-E-L-P!!!
That's where Spicer's upside-down flag pin comes in.

Any day now it's going to be too much for even the most rustic rube to excuse. Granted, I've felt that way for months, but this time ...

Originally Posted by Donald J. Trump
I don't stand by anything.
This is the literal truth. He is telling the American people who he is. If America is OK with that, I will be exploring emigration opportunities sooner rather than later.

Last edited by Minoosh; 1st May 2017 at 05:55 PM. Reason: English language conventions
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st May 2017, 05:51 PM   #46
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by MuDPhuD View Post
To be fair, the president does say "had Andrew Jackson been a little later..." indicating that he is aware of the relative historical time frames of Jackson and the Civil War, before he says "...he saw what was happening with regard to the Civil War..." implying that he does not.
To be fair, Trump makes these ignorant comments all the time and these little explanations never hold up. So why should this one?

For cripe's sake, Trump asked, "Why was there a Civil War?"
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st May 2017, 05:53 PM   #47
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
There is something weird opponents do that I don't quite understand. I have seen a lot of liberals rubbing in the fact that Trump pulled the ahca vote after saying it would happen, mocking republicans caving on the budget, and laughing as people leave Fox news.

Shouldn't they be blowing smoke up these people's butts? Shouldn't we encourage our opponents with positive reinforcement when they take action we support? It seems grave dancing actually raised the cost of compromise.
I agree ... the opposition would be better off rolling its eyes and declaring, "That's Donald for you." But there is an active part of this debate that feels it's important not to "normalize" Trump. Here's a clue: He was elected president. Might be time to revisit the strategy of incredulous mockery.

Outright hostility I'm OK with .
Old 1st May 2017, 06:12 PM   #48
Tony Stark
Philosopher

...was angry because he was a slave owner.
Tony Stark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st May 2017, 06:31 PM   #49
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald J. Trump
I don't stand by anything.

Last edited by alfaniner; 1st May 2017 at 06:32 PM.
alfaniner is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st May 2017, 07:18 PM   #50
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

What action do we support?

Trump pulled the vote because he didn't have the numbers, not because they've decided they were wrong and want to try to fix any problems. Likewise with the budget. People have been forced out of Fox news, without apologizing for their actions or even admitting any wrongdoing.

Any conservative or Republican who was critical of these things for reasoning I agree with or can at least respect, I'll give credit to. Thus far, that's been damn, damn rare. So rare I've changed my view on most people on that spectrum.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st May 2017, 07:53 PM   #51
chrispy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post

Trump pulled the vote because he didn't have the numbers, not because they've decided they were wrong and want to try to fix any problems. Likewise with the budget. People have been forced out of Fox news, without apologizing for their actions or even admitting any wrongdoing.

Any conservative or Republican who was critical of these things for reasoning I agree with or can at least respect, I'll give credit to. Thus far, that's been damn, damn rare. So rare I've changed my view on most people on that spectrum.
This ^^^. I don't support the repeal/replace of the AHCA. I don't support a budget that includes funding for the wall (or the wall, period). I don't support a news organization that pays off sexual harassment claims for old, rich white guys that think they are entitled to pussy. Right on brother (or sister).
chrispy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st May 2017, 08:01 PM   #52
BobTheCoward
Banned

Originally Posted by chrispy View Post
This ^^^. I don't support the repeal/replace of the AHCA. I don't support a budget that includes funding for the wall (or the wall, period). I don't support a news organization that pays off sexual harassment claims for old, rich white guys that think they are entitled to pussy. Right on brother (or sister).
There is no wall funding in the budget.

It is better if the victims receive no compensation?
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st May 2017, 08:06 PM   #53
chrispy
Graduate Poster

There is no wall funding in the budget.

It is better if the victims receive no compensation?
Yes. The funding for the wall was pulled as a "concession". As for the other comment...What? You know what I was saying, don't play coy.
chrispy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st May 2017, 08:08 PM   #54
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Republicans caved on the budget because they had to in order to avoid a government shutdown they would be blamed for.
Tony Stark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st May 2017, 08:11 PM   #55
BobTheCoward
Banned

Yes. The funding for the wall was pulled as a "concession". As for the other comment...What? You know what I was saying, don't play coy.
I don't know what you are saying.

There is a reason it is called positive reinforcement. You are reinforcing when you observe positive behavior in a desired direction, even when initially marginal. I wonder if cheering Fox news for letting people go, even after having done bad stuff previously, actually advances having people do more good stuff.
Old 1st May 2017, 08:15 PM   #56
BobTheCoward
Banned

Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
Republicans caved on the budget because they had to in order to avoid a government shutdown they would be blamed for.
Which is normally the point you would give your dog their first treat in training.
Old 1st May 2017, 08:40 PM   #57
SezMe
post-pre-born

Your problem, BobTheCoward, is that you assume that the current GOP congresscritters respond to positive reinforcement just like dogs do. I do not accept that assumption. They have been hawking the same "solutions" for years in the face of massive evidence their ideas don't work. The best(?) example is trickle-down economics. It's a disaster. Kansas is Exhibit A for that yet we have Sam Brownback urging Trump to apply his failures at the state level to the feds.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st May 2017, 08:44 PM   #58
BobTheCoward
Banned

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
Your problem, BobTheCoward, is that you assume that the current GOP congresscritters respond to positive reinforcement just like dogs do. I do not accept that assumption. They have been hawking the same "solutions" for years in the face of massive evidence their ideas don't work. The best(?) example is trickle-down economics. It's a disaster. Kansas is Exhibit A for that yet we have Sam Brownback urging Trump to apply his failures at the state level to the feds.
What about the republicans that changed in the legislature and tried to add new spending recently?

Then the next question would be, if it may have zero effect, does positive have any negative effect? Further would it still achieve superior results to current strategy?
Old 1st May 2017, 09:27 PM   #59
Hungry81
Master Poster

Don't worry there is a solution to the wall. Donalds wall will be built with the participation of hundreds of people all over America and even the world. Payment for the wall is not a problem And Im sure you will agree that it is the best wall evern and you will see it just as soon as he downloads it and installs it.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mo...eview%3D&pUp=1

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st May 2017, 09:36 PM   #60
Noztradamus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by FenerFan View Post
Holy Crap!
I can't decide which is more stupid, Trump saying Jackson was upset about a war that started years after his death or Trump saying nobody asks why the Civil War happened?
"Actually there were numerous causes, aside from the obvious schism between abolitionists and anti-abolitionists, economic factors, both domestic and international, played a significant...."
Old 1st May 2017, 09:39 PM   #61
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Reminds me of:

Giraffes Are Jerks!
Old 2nd May 2017, 12:53 AM   #62
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

When pressed about his allegations of Obama's "surveillance" of him, Trump walked away from John Dickerson. Stephen Colbert is a little miffed.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2017, 01:03 AM   #63
TofuFighter
Illuminator

Trump is such a *********** ignorant moron.
When he says "they destroyed his wife, and she died" would it be wrong to assume he means Obama and/or Hillary?
TofuFighter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2017, 02:03 AM   #64
TofuFighter
Illuminator

I think it is just that his lack of knowledge results in his windbag word-salad rants and in those rants, occasionally, he puts words together that sort of, kind of, maybe, sound like what he possibly knows what he is talking about. Please see: throwing **** at a wall.
Remember when the Presidency who understands that caution and we have to rebuild our military nuclear weapons that are bad-- I'll give you an example, I’ve been on the circuit making speeches all the time, okay. But I've always said it's very easy. The other people are like that. An incredible company. I employ thousands and thousands and those people -- look at all of the things that have helped to unleash ISIS on a new continents. We have to suffer with it.
They didn't believe me.
TofuFighter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2017, 02:13 AM   #65
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Who knew winning could be so complicated!
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2017, 03:14 AM   #66
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cl1mh4224rd View Post
It's like he has very brief moments of lucidity in between his extensive periods of delusion. Definitely not a sign of mental illness or dementia, though. Nope.
It's like a complete collapse of cognition.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/0...s-korea-237859
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2017, 04:43 AM   #67
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Trump starts dismantling his shadow Cabinet

Who would have thunk that that this was a bad idea?
He needed his Commissars. They needed to watch the cabinet for any sign of disloyalty and then they would be dealt with as strongly as trump feels he can at the time. Firings now but ideally in a more permanent fashion.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2017, 04:44 AM   #68
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by FenerFan View Post
Holy Crap!
I can't decide which is more stupid, Trump saying Jackson was upset about a war that started years after his death or Trump saying nobody asks why the Civil War happened?
To his credit though, Trump is correct that he is a lot like Jackson. People call him "Jackass", too.
He just wants to pull a jackson and ignore rulings against him by the courts.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2017, 04:46 AM   #69
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
This broke my Trump -> English translater.
What a great idea for a joke Google translate option!

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2017, 04:47 AM   #70
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
He can declare anyone an Enemy of the State without cause. I wouldn't be surprised at a purge once he realizes it.

I've heard little about him from Rosie O'Donnell or Penn Jillette lately so maybe they do realize it.
A little preemptive nuclear strikes to start off some wars to give the cover and we are off. There is no check on the presidents authority to order preemptive nuclear strikes, only on the ability of people near him at the time to talk him out of it.
Old 2nd May 2017, 04:49 AM   #71
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post

Trump pulled the vote because he didn't have the numbers
Ryan pulled the vote, Trump has no power over that.
Old 2nd May 2017, 06:10 AM   #72
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

The New York Times is reporting that Trump's overtures to Kim Jong Un, Donnie's expressed desire to "meet with him," is alarming to many in foreign policy.
Quote:
President Trump continued his outreach to rogue leaders on Monday, declaring he would meet North Korea’s dictator, Kim Jong-un, provided the circumstances were right, even as the Philippine president, Rodrigo Duterte, brushed aside the president’s invitation to visit the White House, saying he might be “too busy.”

Mr. Trump has spoken generously of Mr. Kim in recent days, noting that he survived the treacherous political circles in Pyongyang after he first assumed power as a young man. Mr. Trump suggested that Mr. Kim repelled an effort by an uncle to take power back from him. In 2013, Mr. Kim purged his powerful uncle, Jang Song-taek, who was later executed. Link
Among many others, Christopher Hill, President George W. Bush's special envoy to North Korea has publicly urged Donnie to forget the idea.

Donnie doesn't seem to realize: Kim Jong Un isn't a plumbing contractor from Queens that has been having delivery problems. He is a brutal dictator responsible for executing dozens of political opponents. He is an enemy of freedom and liberty.
newyorkguy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2017, 06:38 AM   #73
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

The New York Times is reporting that Trump's overtures to Kim Jong Un, Donnie's expressed desire to "meet with him," is alarming to many in foreign policy.

Among many others, Christopher Hill, President George W. Bush's special envoy to North Korea has publicly urged Donnie to forget the idea.

Donnie doesn't seem to realize: Kim Jong Un isn't a plumbing contractor from Queens that has been having delivery problems. He is a brutal dictator responsible for executing dozens of political opponents. He is an enemy of freedom and liberty.
Trump opening his mouth is generally alarming to many in foreign policy.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2017, 06:41 AM   #74
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Now now now, america has done bad things too.

I mean sure the Kim's and Putin have lots of people murdered but america's hands aren't clean so why pretend to take the moral high ground? That is new american foreign policy right there.

Last edited by ponderingturtle; 2nd May 2017 at 06:43 AM.
Old 2nd May 2017, 06:44 AM   #75
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
Trump opening his mouth is generally alarming to many in foreign policy.
Fixed.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2017, 07:31 AM   #76
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Why doesn't he appoint Dennis Rodman as US Ambassador to North Korea? I can't believe he hasn't even talked to the guy.
alfaniner is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2017, 09:21 AM   #77
chrispy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Why doesn't he appoint Dennis Rodman as US Ambassador to North Korea? I can't believe he hasn't even talked to the guy.
With everything else this administration has done, this doesn't seem too far-fetched. Didn't Rodman claim he was responsible for getting Kenneth Bae released? I'm sure it was his natural charm that did it.
Old 2nd May 2017, 09:23 AM   #78
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Dennis Rodman was on The Celebrity Apprentice so Trump knows him.
Old 2nd May 2017, 09:39 AM   #79
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
To be fair, Trump makes these ignorant comments all the time and these little explanations never hold up. So why should this one?
It's not an explanation but a comment on Trump's incoherence.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2017, 09:39 AM   #80
chrispy
Graduate Poster

Dennis Rodman was on The Celebrity Apprentice so Trump knows him.
Jeez. Thankfully I have never suffered through those shows.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics