IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , James Comey , Michael Flynn , Russia conspiracies , Trump administration , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections

Old 22nd May 2017, 05:44 PM   #2241
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
Well, that's the ball game.

Clinton's popular vote win is a matter of popular knowledge, and has been stipulated to here repeatedly.

It's still tedious.
What tedious is the constant drone of a certain constituency that "the people have spoken," when it's quite clear that there was no juggernaut or mandate. It doesn't help when a certain liar talks about his landslide.

WS
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2017, 06:16 PM   #2242
Tony Stark
Philosopher

So first Trump tried to get get James Comey to pledge loyalty to him and stop investigation into Russian collusion/Flynn. After Comey refused, Trump tried to enlist the intelligence community in publicly undermining the FBI and obstructing the investigation. That didn't work so Trump, being the incompetent moron that he is, decided that firing Comey would make the Russia investigation go away. And the next day, Trump bragged to the Russians that he eased the pressure on himself by firing Comey (though really he did the opposite).

But there is nothing to see here.

Last edited by Tony Stark; 22nd May 2017 at 06:38 PM.
Tony Stark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2017, 06:23 PM   #2243
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Oh for crying out loud! Even when Trump is half-way around the world, he still manages to totally screw up things here in the USA.

Once again, Trump boldly defies all logic by putting another nail into the lid of own coffin.

This time, it turns out that Trump requested that two other intelligence executives issue statements that there was no Trump/Russia collusion. However, quite unlike Trump these two people actually do have some respect for their office and the law, so they refused to issue such a statement.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.8e49e1640084

Trump asked intelligence chiefs to push back against FBI collusion probe after Comey revealed its existence

President Trump asked two of the nation’s top intelligence officials in March to help him push back against an FBI investigation into possible coordination between his campaign and the Russian government, according to current and former officials.

Trump made separate appeals to the director of national intelligence, Daniel Coats, and to Adm. Michael S. Rogers, the director of the National Security Agency, urging them to publicly deny the existence of any evidence of collusion during the 2016 election.

Coats and Rogers refused to comply with the requests, which they both deemed to be inappropriate, according to two current and two former officials, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss private communications with the president.

“The problem wasn’t so much asking them to issue statements, it was asking them to issue false statements about an ongoing investigation,” a former senior intelligence official said of the request to Coats.

Old 22nd May 2017, 06:40 PM   #2244
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Dan Coats is a Republican politician (he was a Senator until January) so I bet Trump thought that he would be his lapdog.
Tony Stark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2017, 07:22 PM   #2245
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Ambrosia View Post

He hasn't built the wall yet, wants to end Obamacare
His inauguration crowd was woefully threadbare
And underneath his crazy wig, he's got no ******* hair!
I've even heard him swearing at the TV!

He has a pair of tiny hands, and shiny orange skin
He's not shy of firing staff, except for Michael Flynn
It's not clear yet, but Comey might, just come back to haunt him
The Donalds not an asset to the White House.

(I'd like to say a word on his behalf
Donald makes us laugh)

How do you solve a problem like the Donald?
How do you catch a cloud and pin it down?
How do you find a word that means the Donald?
A Rich-hypocrite? A pussygrabber! A clown!

Many a thing you know you'd like to tell him
Many a thing he ought to understand
But how do you make him stay, and listen to all you say?
How do you stop him tweeting from his phone?

When will this government be overthrown?

When I watch him I'm irate, Making America Great
seems as likely as Nebraskan oceanfront.
Unpredictable as smoke, is this all some kind of joke?
He's a cancer, he's a conman, he's a ****!

He'd out brazen Alex Jones, Gold plates everything he owns
He's been in bed with Mother Russia for a while
He is petty, He is wild! He's a braggard, He's a child!
He's a headache, He's a liar, He's on trial! (soon, with any luck...)

How do you catch a cloud and pin it down?
How do you find the word that means the Donald?
A rich-hypocrite? A pussygrabber! A clown!

Many a thing you know you'd like to tell him
Many a thing he ought to understand
But how do you make him stay, and listen to all you say?
How do you stop him tweeting from his phone?

Oh how do you solve a problem like the Donald?
When will this government be overthrown?

If SNL do this, then I am imagining various Trump aides etc dressed in Nun costumes singing this.
Nominated. Is this original work?

ETA:[derail] Several people posted attaboys for this. Could you people honor such posts with nominations, please? The staff over at TLA HQ work their fingers to the bone (well, one guy - two and a half hours a month, but consider it poetic license) to see that our talented scribes are honored every month, but posters in certain sub-forums (the Trials/Errors folks are the worst!!) never nominate, as they rarely step outside the arguments they're so involved in.
[/end derail.]

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.

Last edited by Foolmewunz; 22nd May 2017 at 07:33 PM.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2017, 08:03 PM   #2246
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post

ETA:[derail] Several people posted attaboys for this. Could you people honor such posts with nominations, please? The staff over at TLA HQ work their fingers to the bone (well, one guy - two and a half hours a month, but consider it poetic license) to see that our talented scribes are honored every month, but posters in certain sub-forums (the Trials/Errors folks are the worst!!) never nominate, as they rarely step outside the arguments they're so involved in.
[/end derail.]
It has to be. Ambrosia whipped it out like 2 days after I posted that I could imagine a parody of the Sound of Music routine of Nuns singing 'How do you solve a problem like Maria' replacing Maria with 'the Donald'. I was basically saying that Trump is comedy gold in that the jokes sort of write themselves. But of course they don't. My idea, but the song is all Ambrosia. Too bad the SNL season is over. By the time they get back Trump could be out or it won't have the same impact.
Old 22nd May 2017, 11:50 PM   #2247
Ambrosia
Good of the Fods

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Yes.

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
It has to be. Ambrosia whipped it out like 2 days after I posted that I could imagine a parody of the Sound of Music routine of Nuns singing 'How do you solve a problem like Maria' replacing Maria with 'the Donald'.
I had "Maria" stuck in my head for a day after reading that and thought I'd write it down.

Quote:
Too bad the SNL season is over. By the time they get back Trump could be out or it won't have the same impact.
Shame, Spicer in a Nun outfit could have been great.
Ambrosia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2017, 07:44 PM   #2248
logger
Banned

Interesting

https://theconservativetreehouse.com...n/#more-133161
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2017, 07:49 PM   #2249
skyeagle409
Master Poster

Originally Posted by logger View Post
Interesting!

Quote:
This John Brennan quote on Russia just made Donald Trump's life much harder

(CNN)Former CIA chief John Brennan offered a frank assessment of Russia's aggressive approach to meddling in the 2016 election and, in the process, complicated President Donald Trump's attempts to cast the whole thing as fake news.

This Brennan quote, in particular, is damning:
"I encountered and am aware of information and intelligence that revealed contacts and interactions between Russian officials and US persons involved in the Trump campaign that I was concerned about because of known Russian efforts to suborn such individuals. It raised questions in my mind about whether Russia was able to gain the cooperation of those individuals."

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/23/politi...sia/index.html

Last edited by skyeagle409; 23rd May 2017 at 07:50 PM.
skyeagle409 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2017, 08:26 PM   #2250
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by skyeagle409 View Post
Interesting!
Lol
It raised questions in "his mind" but of course no evidence of collusion?

Hilarious, can't even make this stuff up?
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2017, 10:04 PM   #2251
skyeagle409
Master Poster

Lol

Where did he say anything about no evidence of collusion? He stated no such thing especially as investigations continue. Even Trump knows that things are getting a bit warm under the collar as multiple investigations continue.

Quote:
Trump expected to retain private attorney

(CNN)President Donald Trump is expected to hire attorney Marc Kasowitz to represent him on matters related to the inquiry into his campaign's alleged ties to Russia, according to a senior administration official and a person close to Trump.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/23/politi...rump-attorney/
skyeagle409 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2017, 10:10 PM   #2252
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Where did he say anything about no evidence of collusion? He stated no such thing ...
It's a hard core right wing hearing defect. Brennan says I can only discuss it in closed meetings and they hear, nothing happened.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2017, 10:17 PM   #2253
skyeagle409
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
It's a hard core right wing hearing defect. Brennan says I can only discuss it in closed meetings and they hear, nothing happened.

They probably listened to too much fake Fox News, which has had its share of problems lately.

Quote:
Fox News Retracts Story Linking Murder of D.N.C. Aide to 2016 Presidential Campaign

Fox News on Tuesday retracted a story linking the murder of a Democratic National Committee staff member with the email hacks that aided President Trump’s campaign, effectively quashing a conspiracy theory that had taken hold across the right-wing news media.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/23/b...seth-rich.html
Old 23rd May 2017, 10:19 PM   #2254
skyeagle409
Master Poster

Lol
Apparently, that wasn't the case, and neither here as well.

Quote:
Former C.I.A. Chief Tells of Concern Over Possible Russia Ties to Trump Campaign

• John O. Brennan, the former director of the C.I.A., said publicly for the first time Tuesday that he was concerned about possible ties between Russia and the Trump campaign.

• President Trump asked two top intelligence officials to deny the existence of any evidence of collusion between his campaign and Russia, former officials said. Both of the intelligence officials testified before lawmakers on Tuesday.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/23/u...dget.html?_r=0

Both intelligence officials refused Trump's request.

Quote:
Trump asked intelligence chiefs to push back against FBI collusion probe after Comey revealed its existence

Coats and Rogers refused to comply with the requests, which they both deemed to be inappropriate, according to two current and two former officials, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss private communications with the president.

Trump sought the assistance of Coats and Rogers after FBI Director James B. Comey told the House Intelligence Committee on March 20 that the FBI was investigating “the nature of any links between individuals associated with the Trump campaign and the Russian government and whether there was any coordination between the campaign and Russia’s efforts.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.69abeb054586

Trump keeps shooting himself in the foot because he is a moron!!

Last edited by skyeagle409; 23rd May 2017 at 10:24 PM.
Old 24th May 2017, 12:43 AM   #2255
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Apparently, that wasn't the case, and neither here as well.

Both intelligence officials refused Trump's request.

Trump keeps shooting himself in the foot because he is a moron!!
Yes but I see the timing of the leaks as a strategy but someone or a group of people to subvert his ability to govern. I wonder who they are and if they need donations.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2017, 01:29 AM   #2256
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Serious question, Trump has apparently "recused" himself in regards to the Russian collusion investigation etc. Does this mean he will no longer briefed on intelligence matters that pertain to this? For example if say evidence/intelligence implicates someone in his team or previous campaign team was colluding with the Russians and it could have national security implications Trump will not be informed?

I find it hard to understand how a President can in any meaningful manner recuse himself from such matters?
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2017, 01:47 AM   #2257
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I find no report on Trump recusing himself - AFAIK, only Sessions has.

But if he has, that would mean that all reports in need of attention by the Executive Branch would go to the next in the Line of Succession, i.e. Pence.
Old 24th May 2017, 01:53 AM   #2258
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Was sure he had said that or a spokesperson had said he had. I'll have a look to see if reality has got it wrong again!

ETA: you were right reality got it wrong again, can't find any where that supports what I know happened. Hate it when reality won't do as it is told.

Given the non-cooperation of reality I'll have to withdraw my question.
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago

Last edited by Darat; 24th May 2017 at 01:57 AM.
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2017, 02:28 AM   #2259
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post

But if he has, that would mean that all reports in need of attention by the Executive Branch would go to the next in the Line of Succession, i.e. Pence.
Nunes recused himself, too?
Old 24th May 2017, 02:54 AM   #2260
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Serious question, Trump has apparently "recused" himself in regards to the Russian collusion investigation etc. Does this mean he will no longer briefed on intelligence matters that pertain to this?
I don't think he did recuse himself. However, if he did, it will be like Session's recusal, which means it is't a recusal.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2017, 04:37 AM   #2261
logger
Banned

Where did he say anything about no evidence of collusion? He stated no such thing especially as investigations continue. Even Trump knows that things are getting a bit warm under the collar as multiple investigations continue.
No, they have nothing. Multiple democrats involved with these investigations have said they have nothing. This is just a narrative they're trying to keep in the headlines.
Old 24th May 2017, 06:09 AM   #2262
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
Oh for crying out loud! Even when Trump is half-way around the world, he still manages to totally screw up things here in the USA.

Once again, Trump boldly defies all logic by putting another nail into the lid of own coffin.
That plan has worked great for him so far. If it was not effective he wouldn't be president.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2017, 06:37 AM   #2263
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

No, they have nothing. Multiple democrats involved with these investigations have said they have nothing. This is just a narrative they're trying to keep in the headlines.
Which Democrats have said that?
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2017, 06:49 AM   #2264
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Is that more nothing or less nothing than the Benghazi investigations had turned up in this amount of time? Because if Republicans use those as a guide this thing is just getting started . . .

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2017, 09:56 AM   #2265
Crossbow

If you are actually correct, then your side should not have anything to worry about.
Old 24th May 2017, 10:18 AM   #2266
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Is that more nothing or less nothing than the Benghazi investigations had turned up in this amount of time? Because if Republicans use those as a guide this thing is just getting started . . .
Well, people actually died in that one.
Old 24th May 2017, 10:23 AM   #2267
NoahFence
Banned

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
Which Democrats have said that?
You don't really expect an answer do you?
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2017, 10:25 AM   #2268
trustbutverify
Penultimate Amazing

But you don't mind if there was collusion, since it would have helped achieve the desired result, so what's the point?
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2017, 10:55 AM   #2269
snoop_doxie
Graduate Poster

Who are these multiple democrats?

Can you name 3 of them?
Old 24th May 2017, 11:08 AM   #2270
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by snoop_doxie View Post
Who are these multiple democrats?

Can you name 3 of them?

Or even two?

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2017, 11:23 AM   #2271
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Or even two?
Does anyone know of ONE that they can give logger as a head start?
Gunter Haas, the 'leading British expert,' was a graphologist who advised couples, based on their handwriting characteristics, if they were compatible for marriage. I would submit that couples idiotic enough to do this are probably quite suitable for each other. It's nice when stupid people find love. - Ludovic Kennedy
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2017, 11:36 AM   #2272
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Does anyone know of ONE that they can give logger as a head start?

Why would anyone want to do that?

He's the one digging the hole. If he's got something to climb out of it with, let him be the one to share it.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2017, 11:36 AM   #2273
Crossbow

As if the stupid, idiotic, lying Republicans ever actually cared that people died.
Old 24th May 2017, 02:22 PM   #2274
Ambrosia
Good of the Fods

Wasn't the whole point to all of the Benghazi stuff that the powers that be should have done more to protect the people they had in place at the sharp end?

There were months of investigations, the Republicans went full bore hyper partisan over it, spent who knows how much money, and the end result was "mistakes were made, but nothing criminal happened" as I understand it.

If Russia (or any other foreign power) subverts high ranking officials in top government positions wouldn't that open the door to potentially lots more damage being done?

If the Russians, hypothetically speaking, have the National Security Advisor over a barrel, and as a result get intelligence they can act on because of that, then would that not put lives in harms way?

Would that not be an order of magnitude worse than errors made in Benghazi?

During the election campaign Trump publicly asked Russia to hack Clintons emails. He asked the director of the DNI and the NSA to publicly deny evidence of collusion between him and Russia, both declined, he fired Comey, while under an active investigation by him and later stated that he did so to relieve pressure from the FBIs investigation.

Were you happy with Flynn as NSA? Are you happy with Sessions as AG?

I want the people in the top jobs in my government and my military to be competent and to put the interests of my country ahead of that of their political party.
Ambrosia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2017, 02:48 PM   #2275
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Why would anyone want to do that?

He's the one digging the hole. If he's got something to climb out of it with, let him be the one to share it.
Nah, this is what makes it funnier. He claims there are multiple dems who say it. You provide him one example, so all he needs to do is come up with ONE more.

And he still can't do it...
Gunter Haas, the 'leading British expert,' was a graphologist who advised couples, based on their handwriting characteristics, if they were compatible for marriage. I would submit that couples idiotic enough to do this are probably quite suitable for each other. It's nice when stupid people find love. - Ludovic Kennedy
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2017, 04:13 PM   #2276
skyeagle409
Master Poster

No, they have nothing.

On the contrary, much evidence has been revealed that show connections between Trump's people and the Russians and the multiple investigations are still ongoing. Now, Trump is adding an attorney and Flynn still refuses to release documents and the investigation bands are playing on.

Quote:
Multiple democrats involved with these investigations have said they have nothing. This is just a narrative they're trying to keep in the headlines.

They can't make that determination while investigations are still ongoing especially now that connections between Trump's people and the Russians have been revealed and no doubt, there's more to come.
Old 24th May 2017, 10:18 PM   #2277
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Lol

Good to see you right up there with the latest memo from alt-right HQ on how to spin this. "Point 2: Keep harping on ill-defined terms that have no legal standing. Collusion is the best because it sounds legal-y but isn't and every time they provide a link, answer with "But that's no true collusion" and then start ignoring "collusion" and start demanding actual evidence of conspiracy or treason. This will take us up to Christmas, at minimum, by which time Voldemort will have secured enough souls to unleash the death walkers or at least topple the wall and take back middle earth."

I expect a lot of "Oh, yeah! That's not collusion, dumb Libruls."

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2017, 09:49 AM   #2278
Meadmaker

The interesting thing is that the whole collusion argument is mostly a straw man. My concern with Russians and the last election is not merely that there may have been contacts, that could have been called "collusion", but all indications are that the Russian government showed a lot of interest in that election. Why? I think that's worth knowing.

On the left, some have jumped on that whole thing with the singular goal of dumping Trump from office, but that's really a side issue. The thing under investigation is what was the extent of Russian involvement, and what was their motive.

So when the right wingers start yelling "There's no evidence of collusion!" they are missing the point, or is it deliberate?
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2017, 09:54 AM   #2279
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
The interesting thing is that the whole collusion argument is mostly a straw man. My concern with Russians and the last election is not merely that there may have been contacts, that could have been called "collusion", but all indications are that the Russian government showed a lot of interest in that election. Why? I think that's worth knowing.

On the left, some have jumped on that whole thing with the singular goal of dumping Trump from office, but that's really a side issue. The thing under investigation is what was the extent of Russian involvement, and what was their motive.

So when the right wingers start yelling "There's no evidence of collusion!" they are missing the point, or is it deliberate?
Collusion's rather important because it's essentially treason. Obstruction of justice is easier to prove, though.

As to why the Russians were interested in the results, isn't that obvious? They want to destabilise the west in order to expand their influence, so they try to undermine democracy and the power of NATO, the EU and the US.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2017, 09:54 AM   #2280
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post

I think we saw that Nunes, head of the House investigation of Trump and also one of the members of Trump's transition team, is the information carrier to Trump re the ongoing investigations.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics