IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags classified information , donald trump , national security issues , Trump controversies

Old 26th May 2017, 11:13 PM   #1041
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

If I tell you that our spy in Austin gave me some intelligence, that is different from someone reporting that I gave away the city where my intelligence source was.

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2017, 11:14 PM   #1042
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

One leak in the public interest was the first big one, which torpedoed Flynn.

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2017, 11:16 PM   #1043
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
In this administration I'm thinking transparency is a good thing. Especially with a Republican Congress. It helps keep their feet to the fire and remind them who they are ultimately working for.
And given all the apologetics coming from GOP leaders and pundits, the leaks are more important than ever.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2017, 11:19 PM   #1044
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
And let's not forget that CNN had that all that code-word secret info back in March when they were asked not to disclose it for their story on laptop bombs.
The leak predated Trump's revelation to the Russians.
Wait, what?

The media leaked Trump's leaking before Trump leaked it?

I'm gonna need a cite to make sense of your post.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2017, 08:39 AM   #1045
xjx388

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Wait, what?

The media leaked Trump's leaking before Trump leaked it?

I'm gonna need a cite to make sense of your post.
It's been cited. Someone in the US Intel Community leaked the "code-word" top-secret information, including the name of the city at issue, to CNN back in March when they were doing a report on the laptop bomb threat. CNN was asked to withhold the secret information because of its sensitivity. Then in May, Trump shared that same info with the Russians.

Someone leaked to CNN in March. That's the gist of it.
Old 27th May 2017, 10:56 PM   #1046
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
I end up seeing the two highlighted statements as being contradictory. I'm certain that isn't your perspective. How do you reconcile them?
I don't but that's because I don't see the contradiction that you do. Perhaps you could be more specific.

ETA: Others already expressed the same idea.

Last edited by SezMe; 27th May 2017 at 11:15 PM.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2017, 11:14 PM   #1047
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
Total war on government there...
Quote:
post-World War II political and economic consensus is failing and should be replaced with a system that empowers ordinary people over coastal elites and international institutions.
How is that consensus failing? What measure does he use and what data support his conclusion. Without such information, it's just a meaningless blob of words.

He denigrates "coastal elites" and wants to replace them with ordinary people. No thanks. We live in a very complex, interconnected world. It's filled with people of all sorts with all sorts of goals and tools at their disposal. Some of those tools could destroy humanity. I think ordinary people aren't up to the task of keeping things under control much less improving life on Earth.

I've read some of Bannon's stuff. When he says "ordinary people" he means "white people". You should be careful who you cite ....
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2017, 11:22 PM   #1048
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
He denigrates "coastal elites" and wants to replace them with ordinary people.
Except he doesn't. He's working for the elitest of coastal elites and that beast is an elitist as well. It's complete ******** designed to fool the so-called "ordinary people."
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2017, 07:24 AM   #1049
Parsman
Muse

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
It's been cited. Someone in the US Intel Community leaked the "code-word" top-secret information, including the name of the city at issue, to CNN back in March when they were doing a report on the laptop bomb threat. CNN was asked to withhold the secret information because of its sensitivity. Then in May, Trump shared that same info with the Russians.

Someone leaked to CNN in March. That's the gist of it.
The gist of it is, CNN had the information but didn't go public with it or leak it to the Russians. President Bigmouth couldn't wait to tell his Russian friends about the good intelligence he gets.

When you're dead you don't know that you're dead, all the pain is felt by others....................the same thing happens when you're stupid.
Parsman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2017, 10:51 AM   #1050
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits

Originally Posted by MuDPhuD View Post
Its not hyperbole, its almost a direct quote of the President's chief strategist, Steve Bannon. They are "battling" against the "deep state", that is, in a war with the government as it currently exists.
Not really, now. It's a battle against a shadow group acting covertly within our government. Declaring war on covert groups conspiring to exploit connections within our government for their own ends might be a conspiracy theory, but it's not declaring war on the government.

Unless you somehow think that these shadow actors are an implicit and appropriate element of how the US is governed?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics