IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Jeff Sessions , Mueller investigation , Robert Mueller , Rod Rosenstein , Russia conspiracies , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections

Old 18th May 2017, 10:03 AM   #121
Hungry81
Master Poster

Originally Posted by logger View Post
There couldn't be any more normal person than Pence. As usual your side is ignoring some key points. This investigation takes the heat off Trump for now, it also will last beyond the mid terms. The reason why and final thing you're missing is this prosecutor can go anywhere, meaning all the things my side wanted investigated is going to be looked at.

Wouldn't it be juicy if this investigation about Trump turns into charges against over zealous Obama goons?
Oh gawd. You got scammed into supporting Trump. He told you what you wanted to hear and you actually thought he would look after Logger. Heavens know why but you and millions of others fell for the same trap. Its time to learn from your mistake and move on. Im sure there is some other short sighted selfish ******** conman you can throw your weight behind, because supporting Trump while he blunders from one crisis to the next, just because he upsets the left is the very definition of the saying "cutting off your nose to spite your face."
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 10:05 AM   #122
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
One wonders what logger considers "normal".
The South before the Civil Rights Movement.....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 10:07 AM   #123
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

McCain rejoinder to Trump's Whining:

"I've been treated a lot worse then you have".

That's the McCain I switched party registration to vote for in the primaries in 2000,and who seems to be coming back after an absence.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 10:08 AM   #124
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
The South before the Civil Rights Movement.....
I'd say the south about a century before that.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 10:09 AM   #125
NoahFence
Banned

That's the McCain I switched party registration to vote for in the primaries in 2000,and who seems to be coming back after an absence.
Pfft... it's not like he was belittled by a presidential candidate or anything.
Oh wait....
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 10:12 AM   #126
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by Hungry81 View Post
Oh gawd. You got scammed into supporting Trump. He told you what you wanted to hear and you actually thought he would look after Logger. Heavens know why but you and millions of others fell for the same trap. Its time to learn from your mistake and move on. Im sure there is some other short sighted selfish ******** conman you can throw your weight behind, because supporting Trump while he blunders from one crisis to the next, just because he upsets the left is the very definition of the saying "cutting off your nose to spite your face."
Scammed? Was I suppose to support hillary? You haven't a clue about politics!
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 10:13 AM   #127
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Talk is cheap. McCain has form for talking a good game but running scared when it's time to act.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 10:17 AM   #128
NoahFence
Banned

LOL

Yes.

I'm 100% certain her policies would more closely align with yours than Trump, seeing as though Trump is 100% for Trump and Trump only.

Enjoy!

HAHAHAHA

Oh, and sorry about Ailes.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 10:22 AM   #129
Hungry81
Master Poster

No, but at this stage I think a reasonable person could admit she couldn't be worse than Trump.
And perhaps I was a bit harsh. I appreciate that Trump was an experiment from the right, but failed experiments need to be revaluated and discarded if there is no further benefit to them. Trumps a buffoon and he is making America a GREAT laughingstock.
I wouldn't want him negotiating a deal on a 2 dollar trinket at a flea market for me, let alone the fate of my entire country.
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 10:32 AM   #130
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

I'd say the south about a century before that.
Seconded!

Those horrible slavery scenes in 12 Years a Slave come to mind.
Old 18th May 2017, 10:36 AM   #131
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Good political move, now all the Trump administration should say is "No comment, there is an active investigation so lets wait for the results of that".
Trumpette Kayliegh McEnany on CNN last night claimed Trump would welcome the appointment. She truly seemed oblivious to the fact Trump is not likely innocent here. No one else at the table was convinced.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 10:36 AM   #132
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

McCain's a loser. Winners don't get shot down. Winners have bone spurs and high draft numbers.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 10:39 AM   #133
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I agree. But something tells me there is fire behind all the smoke.
If it were anybody but trump, I would say he's acting like he's guilty, but I think Trump is easily dumb enough to try to conduct a coverup of a non-existent crime.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 10:44 AM   #134
Spindrift

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
If it were anybody but trump, I would say he's acting like he's guilty, but I think Trump is easily dumb enough to try to conduct a coverup of a non-existent crime.
I would agree with that.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 10:46 AM   #135
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I don't buy that. Seems like panic.
Old 18th May 2017, 10:46 AM   #136
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I don't buy this. Pence is a latecomer to the party. He's the VP. The very definition of Mr. Irrelevant in most administrations. He doesn't seem to ever been part of the inner circle.
He's not getting headlines, doesn't mean he isn't involved.

Rachel Maddow Explains How Mike Pence Is Going To Go Down With Trump For Russia Scandal

Salon: Mike Pence is neck-deep in Donald Trump’s James Comey mess
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 10:47 AM   #137
skyeagle409
Master Poster

Turmoil and chaos are having a party in the White House, so the question is, how did such an uncontrolled party occur despite the many warnings regarding Trump prior to election day that he was unfit to handle the job as President of the United States? Now, they are watching reruns of Watergate in the White House movie room.

Last edited by skyeagle409; 18th May 2017 at 10:49 AM.
skyeagle409 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 10:51 AM   #138
Spindrift

Panic is not excluded in the scenario.

Trump's world is so full of lies that he doesn't know what is true and what isn't, so better to cover it up regardless.
Old 18th May 2017, 11:07 AM   #139
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

That's actually...persuasive.
Old 18th May 2017, 11:23 AM   #140
Tony Stark
Philosopher

I can see Trump trying to coverup a nonexistent crime. Maybe he decides to destroy documents, tamper with witnesses, ect not for any specific reason but because he thinks it is the cautious move. Or maybe he gets super paranoid and decides that unless he takes drastic measures, that he's going be framed by the special prosecutor.
Tony Stark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 11:26 AM   #141
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
I can see Trump trying to coverup a nonexistent crime. Maybe he decides to destroy documents, tamper with witnesses, ect not for any specific reason but because he thinks it is the cautious move. Or maybe he gets super paranoid and decides that unless he takes drastic measures, that he's going be framed by the special prosecutor.
Which, ironically, may get him thrown in jail.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 11:41 AM   #142
Garrison
Philosopher

And Trump has responded to the latest developments in his usual calm measured way:

Trump: FBI inquiry is 'greatest witch hunt' in history

Quote:
US President Donald Trump has lashed out at the decision to appoint a special counsel to oversee the inquiry into Russian influence on his election.
"This is the single greatest witch hunt of a politician in American history," he tweeted on Thursday morning.
Of course it's not just a witch hunt, it's the greatest witch hunt....

Quote:
"With all of the illegal acts that took place in the Clinton campaign and the Obama Administration, there was never a special councel [sic] appointed," he tweeted on Thursday.
But I thought Trump like getting stuff no one else got?

Oh and of course a certain William Clinton might dispute the whole 'greatest witch hunt' claim

Last edited by Garrison; 18th May 2017 at 11:43 AM.
Garrison is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 11:46 AM   #143
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Unlikely. Social and political conservatives can be decent people who care for others. I think logger's thinking of something far more extreme.
Care for others in the abstract at least. Having tens of thousands die annually so that they can cut taxes on the rich clearly doesn't make them a bad person. Sacrifices must be made, by other people.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 11:48 AM   #144
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Care for others in the abstract at least. Having tens of thousands die annually so that they can cut taxes on the rich clearly doesn't make them a bad person. Sacrifices must be made, by other people.
I can certainly see someone being able to make a good pragmatic argument why letting some people die might be "good", but saying that someone like that is "normal" in the modern world is ideological and nothing else.

Old 18th May 2017, 11:54 AM   #145
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post

Of course it's not just a witch hunt, it's the greatest witch hunt....
Maybe some day he'll be saying 'It was the greatest impeachment in history' and I have a great,... really great cell. Better then any of the other prisoners'.
Old 18th May 2017, 11:56 AM   #146
Belz...
Fiend God

Maybe some day he'll be saying 'It was the greatest impeachment in history' and I have a great,... really great cell. Better then any of the other prisoners'.
"It was the greatest impeachment in history and... at the time of the impeachment congress had its lowest ratings. It was dying, you know? Very low talent, low energy. And then it got the highest ratings in years. Years. And now... an inmate told me the other day, I was the best president ever, and I'm the best cellmate ever. Told me this, I couldn't believe it. You couldn't believe how smart these people in here can be, and they can appreciate talent when they see it."

Old 18th May 2017, 12:06 PM   #147
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

It's be nice if faster-than-light travel were possible, too.
Or if we all had ponies.

Ponies for everyone!
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 12:08 PM   #148
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
Or if we all had ponies.

Ponies for everyone!
Preferably with wings, horns and flashy colours and magical powers.

Old 18th May 2017, 12:16 PM   #149
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
First off, Trump won't be impeached this year, if at all. We aren't at Congress calling for impeachment yet. The investigation part will be most of this year, if you include whatever hearings and various other dog-and-pony shows they put together. If it even gets to a discussion of impeachment it'll be timed, oh so coincidentally like the Gowdy commission, for just in time for the mid-terms.

The GOP got Nixon out before the mid-terms. Ford had 2+ years. How'd that turn out for him? And Gerry was a nice affable guy. Pence is that guy with a broomstick up his ass who won't give you back your ball when it goes over the fence into his yard.
I see no way that Pence will ever become an elected President. If or when Trump falls, he will kick and scream and take everyone down with him. Remember: Everybody within his realm ends up diminished.
Even if, in the end, only the 9% conspiracist fringe voters still stick with Trump to blame the evil establishment, those 9% will be missing from Pence's voting potential, and that'll cost him any hypothetical future.
More likely, he will drown in Trump's maelstrom and not even succeed the Don if Don gets the sack.
Old 18th May 2017, 12:18 PM   #150
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

I think Trump probably knows why Flynn wants immunity.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 12:18 PM   #151
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Preferably with wings, horns and flashy colours and magical powers.
And can we have ponies that shoot rainbows out of their butts too?

By the way, I love your new avatar. I have that movie on DVD.
Old 18th May 2017, 12:22 PM   #152
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
And can we have ponies that shoot rainbows out of their butts too?

By the way, I love your new avatar. I have that movie on DVD.
I used it back in 2015 but I thought it was cooler than Agamemnon.

For me, Yul's the only really good thing about that flick.

Old 18th May 2017, 12:23 PM   #153
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

At lunch with TV anchors, POTUS says appointment of Special Counsel "hurts the country"
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 12:30 PM   #154
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Graham's takeaway from Rosenstein briefing: "You need to treat this investigation as if it may be a criminal investigation."
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 12:58 PM   #155
Spindrift

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
If the anchors managed to keep a straight face after he said that, they deserve an Emmy.
Old 18th May 2017, 01:05 PM   #156
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Here's someone who thinks that the appointment of a special counsel will help Trump to conceal important questions. Some of Trump's worst misconduct may not be provably criminal, which is what the SC will focus on.
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...owe-it/527187/

Last edited by Bob001; 18th May 2017 at 01:06 PM.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 01:20 PM   #157
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
If the anchors managed to keep a straight face after he said that, they deserve an Emmy.
God, that is almost exactly the line of argument that the Nixon Adminsitration took.
Looks as if Trump was not kidding when he said he wanted to be a President just like Nixon...except Nixon has a lot more brains, and actually,until his dark side took over,had a fairly impressive list of acheivements,unlike Trumpy.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 18th May 2017, 01:24 PM   #158
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

God, that is almost exactly the line of argument that the Nixon Adminsitration took.
Looks as if Trump was not kidding when he said he wanted to be a President just like Nixon...except Nixon has a lot more brains, and actually,until his dark side took over,had a fairly impressive list of acheivements,unlike Trumpy.
Trump told Flynn to, "Stay strong," which is exactly what Nixon told Haldeman IIRC.
Old 18th May 2017, 01:26 PM   #159
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by Hungry81 View Post
No, but at this stage I think a reasonable person could admit she couldn't be worse than Trump.
And perhaps I was a bit harsh. I appreciate that Trump was an experiment from the right, but failed experiments need to be revaluated and discarded if there is no further benefit to them. Trumps a buffoon and he is making America a GREAT laughingstock.
I wouldn't want him negotiating a deal on a 2 dollar trinket at a flea market for me, let alone the fate of my entire country.
No, you're wrong as usual. Your first clue would be the originalist justice we just got.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 01:36 PM   #160
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Trump told Flynn to, "Stay strong," which is exactly what Nixon told Haldeman IIRC.
not exactly.

On April 30, 1973, Richard Nixon fired his chief of staff, H.R. Haldeman, and called him later that day to say, “But let me say you’re a strong man, goddammit, and I love you.”

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics