IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , political speculation , Trump controversies

View Poll Results: Is a Trump impeachment likely?
Yes, expect to see it happen sometime in the near future. 38 31.15%
No, Trump is safe(for now) 46 37.70%
Don't know 18 14.75%
On planet X Trump will dissolve Congress fire everyone and declare himself POTUS for life 20 16.39%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Old 18th May 2017, 04:45 AM   #41
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by dejudge View Post
Once Comey presents his memos then it would be all over for Trump. It was most bizarre that people believed a pathological liar could make America great.

Perhaps Trump will resign before impeachment and blame the Democrats.
Only in a partially reasonable world. Republicans will trash Comey and pass it off as a joke, despite this being contradictory.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 04:48 AM   #42
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
Impeached for what?
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 05:22 AM   #43
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

I have been really terrible at predicting Trump things, but I would say that Trump will be impeached sooner or later, unless Trump decides to cut out before such a thing were to happen (like his dead mentor Nixon did).
Old 18th May 2017, 05:27 AM   #44
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

As long as Republicans control Congress, it is unlikely.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 05:28 AM   #45
Hungry81
Master Poster

Impeached for what?
Hello I am prince Hungry81 from Nigeria. My father was King of Wakonda but was recently killed in an explosion while giving a speach at the famous Skovia accords. You may have seen about it on TV. Or other cinematics. My fathers enemies are using this opportunity to drive me into exile and take over. At the moment I have hundreds of millions of dollars in my secreet accounts that I can access if you help me. However I need your help. If you give me your help I can give you a fair percntage and give you a generous discount if you wish to purchase a bridge in London that I also own. God blesses you. All I need from you is....

Last edited by Hungry81; 18th May 2017 at 05:30 AM.
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 06:08 AM   #46
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Hungry81 View Post
Quote:
Impeached for what?
Hello I am prince Hungry81 from Nigeria. My father was King of Wakonda but was recently killed in an explosion while giving a speach at the famous Skovia accords. You may have seen about it on TV. Or other cinematics. My fathers enemies are using this opportunity to drive me into exile and take over. At the moment I have hundreds of millions of dollars in my secreet accounts that I can access if you help me. However I need your help. If you give me your help I can give you a fair percntage and give you a generous discount if you wish to purchase a bridge in London that I also own. God blesses you. All I need from you is....

Masterful.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 06:36 AM   #47
angrysoba
Philosophile

I think an eventual one is likely, but not an immediate one. The problem is a Republican Congress who backed him for president, and the president's own supporters who may punish unfaithful and unloyal Republican Congresspeoples.

The Republicans have made their bed and they will spend a few more years worrying about what their man has done this time. It's a kind of purgatory that they, if not anyone else, fully deserve.
Old 18th May 2017, 06:46 AM   #48
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
If Hillary can survive Benghazi and the e-mails, Trump can survive this.

Depending, of course, on just what "this" turns out to be. I don't think anyone really knows yet.
The two you note were both pointless idiot talking points, not real malfeasance. Without Fox and related feeding republickers their daily load of **** sandwiches and poison pills neither would have gone anywhere.

There was no there there!!!! With Trumpf the there is blindingly clear and bright.

Last edited by fuelair; 18th May 2017 at 07:31 AM. Reason: removed noticed big O where one had no business being!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 06:48 AM   #49
fuelair
Banned

Impeached for what?
I like the "for being a flaming mother raping anti-US scum bucket with delusions"
offense!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 06:52 AM   #50
applecorped
Banned

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
You're so cute.
Evidence?
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 06:52 AM   #51
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
I agree with this, with the exception that Trump has no balls.

(Metaphorically, of course.)

Trump's narcissism won't let him get into a position where he loses, so he'll do what he always does in these situations and declare a strategic bankruptcy with a premise of a rigged system and forces conspiring against him.

On the other hand, and here I hope I'm wrong, this Republican-run House will never impeach a Republican President. This isn't the 70s. Integrity is a thing of the past. Party before county.
And perfectly accurate as this **** started with Reagan and the party giving up being Republicans by joining with the (IM) moral majority right wing xtian fools!!!!! And thus turning into fools:aka republickers.
Old 18th May 2017, 06:53 AM   #52
applecorped
Banned

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
I like the "for being a flaming mother raping anti-US scum bucket with delusions"
offense!!!

Not a high crime, or misdemeanor
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 07:09 AM   #53
xjx388

I don't believe there is really anything to impeach about. If all Comey's memo says is that Trump said "Flynn's a good guy, I hope you can let this go," then I don't think that's enough. If there is more direct evidence of obstruction in the memos, then maybe there's something there but it also brings up the idea that if Comey thought there was obstruction going on, he had a duty to report it when it was happening.

I've heard the theory that obstruction would be evidenced by Trump firing Comey, however, McCabe very clearly said that the investigation was not impeded by this. I guess maybe you could make the case that it was Trump's intention to impede the investigation, however Rosenstein, the same guy who called for Special Counsel, did write a memo to Trump recommending the removal of Comey. It isn't so clear cut.

If he's going to be impeached, it will have to be for something we don't know about yet, like there's evidence he actually colluded with Russia, took bribes, etc. But that's going to take awhile to develop now that there is Special Counsel investigating.
Old 18th May 2017, 07:19 AM   #54
Belz...
Fiend God

Evidence?
See, even you don't believe it.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 07:33 AM   #55
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
it also brings up the idea that if Comey thought there was obstruction going on, he had a duty to report it when it was happening.
I see this being claimed a lot. Who exactly did he have a duty to report it to?

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 08:13 AM   #56
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
At the current stage, I see the investigation expose the entire administration plus Paul Ryan to be criminally tainted, forcing everyone with a shred to decency to resign.

So no, Trump will stay until the 2018 elections.
So no resignations then.....
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 09:47 AM   #57
xjx388

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
I see this being claimed a lot. Who exactly did he have a duty to report it to?
18 USC Section 4

Obstruction being a felony, Comey would have had an obligation to report it to a judge, the Attorney General or some other authority. I guess it remains possible that he did indeed report it but in that case it seems odd that we wouldn't have heard about it already; I mean, there's your impeachable offense right there.
Old 18th May 2017, 10:01 AM   #58
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

18 USC Section 4

Obstruction being a felony, Comey would have had an obligation to report it to a judge, the Attorney General or some other authority. I guess it remains possible that he did indeed report it but in that case it seems odd that we wouldn't have heard about it already; I mean, there's your impeachable offense right there.
He's a law enforcement officer. He knows there are ongoing investigations. If you think every crime committed is instantly brought to a judge's attention then you are wrong. It would be like not busting a small crime or small offense or maybe just waiting for more conclusive evidence.
Old 18th May 2017, 10:07 AM   #59
applecorped
Banned

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
See, even you don't believe it.
I believe I'm cute.
Old 18th May 2017, 10:24 AM   #60
portlandatheist
Illuminator

I voted no simply because of the "for now" clause. With all the evidence so far, I think he can weather the storm for the time being. However, I don't think he'll make it through four years. He can't help but create more and more enemies and make more and more blunders. Who knows what these investigations will dig up? We'll have to wait to see what this investigation digs up and also wait to see who he pisses off and what other laws he will break in the future. He's a continuous accident waiting to happen. I think the good news is that most of his ridiculous agenda is in jeopardy but the bad news is that if we have some major crisis, we may be stuck with the worst possible captain at the helm.
portlandatheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 10:28 AM   #61
Belz...
Fiend God

I believe I'm cute.
Evidence?

Old 18th May 2017, 10:30 AM   #62
Tommy Jeppesen
Illuminator

18 USC Section 4

From the link
Quote:
Whoever, having knowledge of the actual commission of a felony cognizable by a court of the United States, conceals and does not as soon as possible make known the same to some judge or other person in civil or military authority under the United States, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years, or both.
Care to explain what the highlite means?
Old 18th May 2017, 10:31 AM   #63
Meadmaker

18 USC Section 4

I'm not sure about this, but I think he IS an authority.

At some point, he would prepare a report if he had reason to believe a crime was being committed and pass it to the AG.

People are talking about obstruction of justice as if there's an open and shut case here. Not only is the case not open and shut, it's barely open. Based on what we know publicly, Trump hasn't committed a crime.

On the other hand, there's a lot we don't know, and depending on what else we may find out, there could be a crime involved.

Obstruction of justice is one of those things, like perjury, that is often misunderstood. Not every lie told under oath is perjury. Not every failure to cooperate, or even interfere with, an investigation, is obstruction of justice.

I don't think Trump is capable of following the law for four years, and he may have already violated it, but let's not jump the gun on charging him. There's time.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 10:43 AM   #64
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
I don't think Trump is capable of following the law for four years, and he may have already violated it, but let's not jump the gun on charging him. There's time.
Plenty of time.

Originally Posted by The Tubes: White Punks On Dope
Hang myself when I get enough rope
Can't clean up, though I know I should

When Republican politicians were young, they were the kids who watched James Bond movies and said "I want to grow up to be just like [insert name of villain here]."
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 10:52 AM   #65
Mumbles
Philosopher

At this point, I'd like to think so, but...
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 11:04 AM   #66
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Not gonna happen. Until Republican congresscritters start putting honesty ahead of partisanship, he's safe.
Old 18th May 2017, 11:11 AM   #67
bytewizard
Master Poster

Zero chance of impeachment AND conviction. It's more likely Trump will stroke out or be assassinated.
bytewizard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 11:26 AM   #68
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
Not gonna happen. Until Republican congresscritters start putting honesty ahead of partisanship, he's safe.
Don't just single out the republicans. The first thing that any politician will think of before voting either way on an impeachment issue is, "Is my seat safe?"

Seriously though, this is just another straw to clutch at. Donald Trump is so despised in this forum that he could solve world poverty and implement every progressive agenda in the book and everybody here would still be saying "hang him!"
Old 18th May 2017, 11:28 AM   #69
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
Seriously though, this is just another straw to clutch at. Donald Trump is so despised in this forum that he could solve world poverty and implement every progressive agenda in the book and everybody here would still be saying "hang him!"
Seriously though? You followed that with total nonsense.

Tell me, what positive thing has Trump done that should have earned him accolades from the members here?

Old 18th May 2017, 11:33 AM   #70
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Donald Trump is despised because he is, in no way, fit to be President. He demonstrates this on an almost daily basis. We've had decades of exposure to Donald Trump and he is acting pretty much true to form.

Why paint opposition to him as if it were irrational?
Old 18th May 2017, 11:36 AM   #71
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Don't just single out the republicans. The first thing that any politician will think of before voting either way on an impeachment issue is, "Is my seat safe?"

The reason Trump is so despised is because he would never address world poverty and any other progressive agenda item. When he actually does something along those lines then we can discuss it.

Plus everything that has happened to Trump since he was sworn in has been of his own doing. As the saying goes, "Never interrupt your enemy when they are making a mistake."
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 11:43 AM   #72
Crossbow

... snipped for relevance ...

Just to focus on the last bit of your posting, I would say that you are quite wrong.

If Trump actually did do something positive, then he would generate positive support. However, Trump has yet to do anything positive.

In fact, about the only thing that I can think of that he has done which is even remotely positive is where he provided a couple of hundred million dollars in tax breaks to the Carrier Company so that they would keep a couple hundred jobs here in America.

I would say that the deal he made was more of bribe than a deal, and it was a bad bribe at that.
Old 18th May 2017, 11:49 AM   #73
Crossbow

I noticed that no one else has posted this particular news item regarding a Trump impeachment, so I will do so now ...

http://www.newsweek.com/trump-impeac...h-comey-611015

TRUMP IMPEACHMENT ODDS: PRESIDENT NOT LIKELY TO SERVE FOUR YEARS, ACCORDING TO BOOKMAKERS

British betting company Ladbrokes has cut the price of a Trump impeachment to odds-on at 4-5 from 11-10. Those new odds equate to a 55.6 percent probability that the Senate will remove the president from office.

Old 18th May 2017, 11:50 AM   #74
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Donald Trump is despised because he is, in no way, fit to be President. He demonstrates this on an almost daily basis. We've had decades of exposure to Donald Trump and he is acting pretty much true to form.

Why paint opposition to him as if it were irrational?
Because it's easier than acknowledging that not only is it likely a criminal that needs to be impeached, but it has done nothing particularly useful for its own supporters, let alone the entire nation. Defending it is, at virtually every level, the most empty of gestures; the only thing truly accomplished is making "liberals/progressives" angry, which for some I guess is a primary goal. It's too bad that it's apparently necessary to flush the quality of our government down the toilet to fully accomplish such a laudable goal.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 11:54 AM   #75
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
Because it's easier than acknowledging that not only is it likely a criminal that needs to be impeached, but it has done nothing particularly useful for its own supporters, let alone the entire nation.
So it's a sunk cost issue as much as a partisan issue?

Old 18th May 2017, 11:56 AM   #76
SOdhner
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Octavo View Post
This whole presidenting thing is getting in the way of his cable news consumption and golfing schedule.
Is it, though? I think the job of President is a WHOLE lot easier than it normally would be if you're someone like Trump that doesn't worry about being informed or thinking of all the nuance and potential ramifications of everything. I think he has lots of time for watching television, playing golf, and being president.

Well I can't really argue with that. And that's the one reason that I think they might impeach - I'm not betting on it, but it's possible that as the midterm approaches if this whirlwind of scandal continues they'll decide the only thing to do to protect themselves is to show that they're not with that guy.

Still unlikely, but possible.

Donald Trump is so despised in this forum that he could solve world poverty and implement every progressive agenda in the book and everybody here would still be saying "hang him!"
I'd sure love to test that hypothesis. All we have to do is get Trump to do literally anything good, and we can see whether or not you're right.
SOdhner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 12:03 PM   #77
xjx388

Originally Posted by Tommy Jeppesen View Post
From the link

Care to explain what the highlite means?
I think it's clear. In Comey's case, since he reports to the Director of National Intelligence, that would be the person to report to. I'm sure he could also report to the AG.
Old 18th May 2017, 12:07 PM   #78
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Um, no, if Trump somehow magically became the most competent leader in world history, people would change their opinion of him.

But Trump is a very, very bad leader. He is extremely incompetent, ignorant, stupid, and dishonest. Plus he's a freaking Republican who's trying to **** over poor people so that rich people can get richer.

Trump has earned every single bit of hate that he gets. Actually, he deserves way more. It being as high as it is (like 40%) is proof that there is something deeply wrong with America.
Tony Stark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 12:07 PM   #79
Cleon
King of the Pod People

I single out the Republicans because they hold the majority in both houses and literally nothing can happen unless Republican leadership approves it.

Quote:
Well, when he accomplishes something so noteworthy, do let us know so we can evaluate your prediction.

Meanwhile, the policies Trump wants to implement would adversely affect me and people I care about, so I can't bring myself to be all that bothered by the "waaaah you just hate Trump" argument.
Old 18th May 2017, 12:12 PM   #80
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
ROFLMAO. That is never going to happen.

But they will remove a tumor from their party.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics