IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump supporters

Old 22nd May 2017, 07:55 AM   #1
seayakin
Graduate Poster

What can Trump do to lose his supporters?

Reading lots of stuff about Trump and it made me think. Trump's hardcore supporters seem not to care about what Trump actually does.

Is there anything Trump can do to convince them to abandon their support?

I am at a loss to think of anything. I'm guessing his hard care supporters are somewhere in the range of 25% given his current approval rating is at 38%. I am guessing that maybe 13% are committed conservatives giving him the benefit of the doubt.
Old 22nd May 2017, 07:55 AM   #2
NoahFence
Banned

Nothing. They're all retarded.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2017, 07:59 AM   #3
TraneWreck
Philosopher

Low energy Cuck Trump praising Islam may chip away at them...
TraneWreck is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2017, 08:01 AM   #4
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TraneWreck View Post
Low energy Cuck Trump praising Islam may chip away at them...
Thernovich and Stone were not happy with that.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2017, 08:01 AM   #5
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

Originally Posted by seayakin View Post
Reading lots of stuff about Trump and it made me think. Trump's hardcore supporters seem not to care about what Trump actually does.

I am at a loss to think of anything. I'm guessing his hard care supporters are somewhere in the range of 25% given his current approval rating is at 38%. I am guessing that maybe 13% are committed conservatives giving him the benefit of the doubt.

I talked with one such supporter in, naturally, a greasy spoon diner. The guy flew into a rage at one point (I was not poking his buttons, just listening). You have no idea how angry they are and will tag onto anything that isn't a god damned nation-backstabbing Democrat.

They wanna bring in millions of these people "who spit on the floors in malls."

You don't get it because your values are completely not in sync with theirs. What concerns you has nothing to do with what concerns them.

He was very old, in his 80s, and a WWII vet. I felt sorry for him, as, from his point of view, he felt this nation was being turned over to the savagery they fought against, bringing it in hand over fist to roll over the voting block to stand against the very people who made the world safe for democracy.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?

Last edited by Beerina; 22nd May 2017 at 08:06 AM.
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2017, 08:02 AM   #6
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Short of being caught in a three-way with Bill and Hillary Clinton, I doubt that there is much of anything that will dissuade the typical nut-job Trump supporter.
Old 22nd May 2017, 08:03 AM   #7
TraneWreck
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Beerina View Post
I talked with one such supporter in, naturally, a greasy spoon diner. The guy flew into a rage at one point (I was not poking his buttons, just listening). You have no idea how angry they are and will tag onto anything that isn't a god damned nation-backstabbing Democrat.
Yeah, how can we expect them to be rational with all those Mexicans not coming across the border for the last 10 years?
TraneWreck is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2017, 08:03 AM   #8
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Nothing, they are intent on ignoring all the scandals he generates on a daily basis, they never expected him to mean anything he said so when he changes his mind on anything it still fits.

Maybe when the Saudi's start owning most of our infrastructure?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2017, 08:06 AM   #9
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

I have nothing to add to this.

Quote:
The believers differ attitudinally from other groups today in important ways. They're the most likely to say Mr. Trump should have more power, in general, and most would prefer congressional Republicans to follow his lead. A majority -- 55 percent -- of them believe government and law enforcement officials should take an oath of loyalty to the Constitution and president, while 34 percent say the Constitution alone. Nine in 10 believe Comey should have been fired. But they do see a role for congressional oversight on matters of national security.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2017, 08:28 AM   #10
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Short of converting to Islam, not much will shake the true believers. They simple ignore anything they don't want to hear.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2017, 08:41 AM   #11
Newtons Bit
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
Short of being caught in a three-way with Bill and Hillary Clinton, I doubt that there is much of anything that will dissuade the typical nut-job Trump supporter.
Only if he was receiving.
"Structural Engineering is the art of molding materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyze so as to understand forces we cannot really assess in such a way that the community at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our own ignorance." James E Amrhein
Newtons Bit is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2017, 08:59 AM   #12
seayakin
Graduate Poster

You have no idea how angry they are and will tag onto anything that isn't a god damned nation-backstabbing Democrat.
I do have an idea how angry they are. I have close relatives who are strong Trump supporters. I just never talk politics with them because by and large they will be insulting and dismiss my opinion with a hand wave which gets us no where. They think I'm crazy and because I work in libraries I waste tax payers money.
Old 22nd May 2017, 09:19 AM   #13
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Switching parties.
Old 22nd May 2017, 09:32 AM   #14
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I think even the release of the alleged pee tape wouldn't take him down at this point.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2017, 09:34 AM   #15
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

You have no idea how angry they are and will tag onto anything that isn't a god damned nation-backstabbing Democrat.
I do have an idea how angry they are. I have close relatives who are strong Trump supporters. I just never talk politics with them because by and large they will be insulting and dismiss my opinion with a hand wave which gets us no where. They think I'm crazy and because I work in libraries I waste tax payers money.
I'd also argue that I do understand how angry they are. What I don't understand is why.
Old 22nd May 2017, 09:39 AM   #16
ahhell
Philosopher

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Switching parties.
That or the recession that's likely coming. A few anecdotes about angry old men not withstanding.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2017, 10:02 AM   #17
GodMark2
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
I'd also argue that I do understand how angry they are. What I don't understand is why.
For the few I've interacted with at length: they don't know why, either.

They know things are bad, but can't explain exactly what it is that's bad. They know who is to blame, but can't explain why it's their fault. These are the people that vehemently reject everything tangentially related to "Obamacare", but like nearly every aspect of the Patient Protection and Affordable care Act.

Often, they don't even know what reality is. They 'know' that unemployment is higher than it's ever been, even when all their friends have jobs. They 'know' that illegal immigrants are the cause of most crime, even when they haven't seen a single instance (and know several citizen felons).

The conversations tend to be long on platitudes and short on evidence. The Donald is giving them what they understand: empty platitudes. Trying to fight that with specific facts is like holding water in a sieve. First your facts are simply dismissed because they don't agree with the platitude. Then, when the evidence is overwhelming, they just pretend facts are unimportant. Those facts are just 'special cases', single instances, but 'everybody knows' that the platitude is true the rest of the time.
Old 22nd May 2017, 10:12 AM   #18
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Can you imagine what Alex Jones would have made of this if it was Obama instead of Trump in this image?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DAX2CsmUAAAHZR4.jpg:large

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2017, 10:16 AM   #19
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Question is what percentage of people who voted for Trump are the hard core supporters,and how many did so with reservations and held their noses as they voted. I suspect the percentage of them who were the hardcore people into the Personality cult is not as great as a lot of people here think.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2017, 10:19 AM   #20
applecorped
Banned

He could change his name to Hillary and switch genders
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2017, 10:20 AM   #21
NoahFence
Banned

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
See post number two in this thread.

They've been told to be angry and they have no ability to think for themselves. No critical thinking at all.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2017, 10:21 AM   #22
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Question is what percentage of people who voted for Trump are the hard core supporters,and how many did so with reservations and held their noses as they voted. I suspect the percentage of them who were the hardcore people into the Personality cult is not as great as a lot of people here think.
My colleagues who have American relations would support your question.

Some held their nose, one was in favour, but has a Native American wife, and the Dakota pipeline has made him change his mind. None say that they know strong supporters.

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2017, 10:27 AM   #23
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I can think of lots of things.
Embracing single payer healthcare.
Tightening environmental regulation.
Easing restrictions on immigration and providing citizenship to illegals.
Raising taxes, especially on the rich.
Increasing "handouts" to the poor.
Apologizing to Obama for the whole birther thing, and to Hillary for the campaign.
Converting to Judaism.
Shooting someone on Fifth Avenue...no, wait, that one won't work.
Old 22nd May 2017, 10:38 AM   #24
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
Nothing. They're all retarded.
Possibly IF he got them all in one place for a rally and ate a lot of Trumpf beef and castor oil, got in a helicopter, flew over them dropping his tirds on them a few might get annoyed or better.

But the rest likely would continue taking **** from him!!!!! And eating it with large happy!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2017, 10:41 AM   #25
fuelair
Banned

They wanna bring in millions of these people "who spit on the floors in malls."

You don't get it because your values are completely not in sync with theirs. What concerns you has nothing to do with what concerns them.

He was very old, in his 80s, and a WWII vet. I felt sorry for him, as, from his point of view, he felt this nation was being turned over to the savagery they fought against, bringing it in hand over fist to roll over the voting block to stand against the very people who made the world safe for democracy.
You misspelled " **** " in the quotation marked part of sentence #2.
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2017, 10:48 AM   #26
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
Short of converting to Islam, not much will shake the true believers. They simple ignore anything they don't want to hear.
Maybe if your side would throw more tantrums over fake news?
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2017, 10:50 AM   #27
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Nothing. There's nothing he can do to lose his supporters. That much is pretty clear at this point.
Old 22nd May 2017, 10:57 AM   #28
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Going by polls, it seems the vast majority of trump voters think he is doing a great job.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2017, 10:58 AM   #29
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Going by polls, it seems the vast majority of trump voters think he is doing a great job.
..or at least trust his words more than that of the press.
Old 22nd May 2017, 10:59 AM   #30
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

My pro-Trump brother works for a quasi-governmental entity and pays $180/month to insure a family of 4. He's also managed to get his son on the payroll.

He has no idea of the realities of health-insurance costs for those who are not covered by an employer's group plan and/or not covered by Medicare.

Betcha a $1200 premium would wake him up, but he's in a good place.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2017, 11:00 AM   #31
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

I don't think that Trump can do anything himself but if you ever got any quality candidates running for POTUS then I suspect that Trump supporters would abandon him faster than rats leaving a sinking ship.
Old 22nd May 2017, 11:01 AM   #32
ahhell
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
For those that held there nose or just always punch R, there's a lot of cognitive dissonance going. They are busy justifying their votes to themselves as well as others.

There's also a portion of the base that revels in the chaos as a big F you to the man.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2017, 11:03 AM   #33
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
For those that held there nose or just always punch R, there's a lot of cognitive dissonance going. They are busy justifying their votes to themselves as well as others.

There's also a portion of the base that revels in the chaos as a big F you to the man.
Hasn't shown up in any polling data. I think they have finally learned to distrust all factual reporting. As long as they only get it from propaganda sources they will learn how it is all BS that democrats are doing.
Old 22nd May 2017, 11:04 AM   #34
Donal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I can think of lots of things.
Embracing single payer healthcare.
Tightening environmental regulation.
Easing restrictions on immigration and providing citizenship to illegals.
Raising taxes, especially on the rich.
Increasing "handouts" to the poor.
You think they voted for him based on policy?

Quote:
Apologizing to Obama for the whole birther thing, and to Hillary for the campaign.
"Look what a good sport he is."

Quote:
Converting to Judaism.
Maybe the overt bigots, but most are well tuned to the code words.

Quote:
Shooting someone on Fifth Avenue...no, wait, that one won't work.
I got it! "I'd like to introduce you all to my lover, DeShawn. look at his bigly hands."
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2017, 11:04 AM   #35
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
My pro-Trump brother works for a quasi-governmental entity and pays $180/month to insure a family of 4. He's also managed to get his son on the payroll.

He has no idea of the realities of health-insurance costs for those who are not covered by an employer's group plan and/or not covered by Medicare.

Betcha a $1200 premium would wake him up, but he's in a good place.
You think he'll blame Trump for that?
And you don't think he pays all of it through his paycheck?
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2017, 11:05 AM   #36
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Will Trump voters who have become disillusioned with him all identify as former Trump voters when polled?
Old 22nd May 2017, 11:05 AM   #37
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
I don't think that Trump can do anything himself but if you ever got any quality candidates running for POTUS then I suspect that Trump supporters would abandon him faster than rats leaving a sinking ship.
Indeed.
Old 22nd May 2017, 11:06 AM   #38
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
Will Trump voters who have become disillusioned with him all identify as former Trump voters when polled?
We could look to Obama or hillary supporters for the answer?
Old 22nd May 2017, 11:10 AM   #39
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post

Justifying?

He's done quite well so far. We look at the lefts temper tantrums as a huge road block, we're giving him time to get it going. We're used to the left throwing themselves to the ground with these tactics, Trump wasn't. If he doesn't get these major legislative issues accomplished, he will have hell to pay.

So leftist know what they have to do, more tantrums, but they need to be spaectacular!
Old 22nd May 2017, 11:25 AM   #40
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Originally Posted by logger View Post
Maybe if your side would throw more tantrums over fake news?
No one has to make up fake news about Trump. The real things that Trump has done to himself is enough for those who don't ignore reality like the hardcore Trump supporters.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics