IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump supporters

Old 23rd May 2017, 08:30 PM   #121
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post

It seems to me that the right fears the left for what they imagine the left wants, whereas the left fears the right for what they are actually doing and saying. For all the bluster, Obama never took anyone's guns or enacted Sharia law, for example. Trump, on the other hand, has removed transgender protections, put anti-science people in charge of departments that require science, and is proposing a budget that will cut much needed anti-poverty programs like food stamps and Medicare*.
This is an accurate observation. Also, many on the right try to quell the concerns of the left by saying such things as "even though our candidate says he wants to do (insert bad thing here), it's just pandering."
At the same time, they try to fuel flames of fear of the left by saying the left's candidates are trying to do things that the candidate never said they would.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2017, 09:36 PM   #122
Polaris
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
For one thing, Trump needs more of this to ensure continued success. It's no longer "how you play the game," or even if you win, it's how you mock opponents that counts nowadays in GOP brains, always in ways that would send any rightard into eternal frothing madness if done to them. Imagine, say, a BLM protester "spraying" some good ole boys this way. "OMG, that is so different. For starters, we are good Christian whites, they are not. Nuff said. Get Hannity on the horn, now."
Those guys swore an oath to defend the nation from enemies both foreign and domestic. If there had been live ammo in that Ma Deuce they would have made it possible for him to literally kiss his own ass goodbye.
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2017, 03:11 AM   #123
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Tormac View Post
Hi Turtle,

It depends on which group you mean. I know two Trump “true believers”. They wanted to stop illegal immigration, bring good paying jobs and manufacturing back to the USA, and weed out corruption from the USA government. Those three things were the common talking points both shared with me.
And what policies of his do they think would actually do that? And do they know how much smaller the work forces in modern manufacturing are than they were 70 years ago? I see empty parking lots at GM factories that have solar panels because they just don't need the work force they used to.

I think those are good goals, I just don't see how the polices of hiring lobbyists and corporate leaders is supposed to reduce corruption, and how his policies are supposed to increase employment.

Quote:
I know dozens of Republicans who grudgingly voted for Trump. Their issues tended to be broken down along gender lines. The men overwhelmingly were second amendment voters. They wanted to make sure that a pro second amendment judge was nominated to replace Justice Scalia, and Hillary’s views on the Heller decision was well known.
And they don't care about the likelihood that employees will be fired for not dying for their owners like they should.
Quote:
None of the trump voters that I know of are worried about gay people.
So they also don't care about the stripping of their rights and sending them back to die in chechnya.
Quote:
None of these people want to keep out “non-whites”, just terrorists and criminals. Oddly enough, the most vocal Trump “true believers” that I know is the first generation son of a Mexican immigrant. He, like most of the people that are worried about the Mexican immigration issue are worried about illegal immigrants. For most of them, it seems to be a law and order feeling that some of the people crossing the border are likely Drug Cartel agents. I also think that there is a little resentment on my Hispanic friend that his family struggled through the immigration citizenship process the "hard way" and resents illegal immigrants that seem to have easier times of it. But I may be wrong about this.
They aren't going to put it in those words, but which terrorists and criminals are they more concerned about? What do they look like in their minds?

The biggest group of people who kill the police are conservative armed men like them after all.

How do they insulate themselves from basic statistics about who criminals and terrorists are?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2017, 03:13 AM   #124
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Lol Turtle,

It is ironic that gun prices and gun sales seem to skyrocket when Democrats are elected, and then drop like a rock when Republicans are elected.

I am just glad that I can find rim-fire ammunition again.

As far as the health care issue goes I am not sure what drives the crazy mess that is our health care system in this country.
That is easy, the answer is like in any capitalist system, it is driven by profit as it should be. That is clearly the most moral thing that could possibly drive it, as all morality flows from money. Read more Rand.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2017, 03:15 AM   #125
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Yes. Obama proposed to limitations on selling firearms, namely that all sellers had to perform background checks. There was also something about changing seller license requirements, but I don't remember any details about that.
While those kind of regulations are rather popular in theory in practice no gun owner would really support the laws that would be needed to put them into practice.
Old 24th May 2017, 03:17 AM   #126
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Hi Resume,

I hope we are not going to have a debate on the meaning of the word “voluntary”. (lol)

If I understand your statement then I cannot agree.

If I want to buy an ar-15, but they are illegal to buy or transfer, then that is a ban on ar-15’s (in relation to the proposed 2013 assault rifle ban). The fact that my neighbors already has one just makes me a little more resentful about it. It certainly does not make me more accepting of the ban.
And mass shootings are the best advertising any gun manufacturer can possibly get. Gun owner want to be able to stage large terrorist attacks, it is the entire purpose of the second amendment after all. How else is one supposed to overthrow the government.
Old 24th May 2017, 03:19 AM   #127
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
Those guys swore an oath to defend the nation from enemies both foreign and domestic. If there had been live ammo in that Ma Deuce they would have made it possible for him to literally kiss his own ass goodbye.
The press is now the enemy, we need to defend america from the free press.
Old 24th May 2017, 03:31 AM   #128
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by seayakin View Post
Is there anything Trump can do to convince them to abandon their support?
Get his budget passed. The people for whom the country is not working rely on the programs he's going to cut.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2017, 03:40 AM   #129
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Get his budget passed. The people for whom the country is not working rely on the programs he's going to cut.
You think they will blame him, or will it be the democrats fault somehow?
Old 24th May 2017, 04:26 AM   #130
TellyKNeasuss
Illuminator

What can Trump do to lose his supporters? One way might be to push for an increase in Affirmative Action programs.

TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2017, 04:38 AM   #131
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by TellyKNeasuss View Post
What can Trump do to lose his supporters? One way might be to push for an increase in Affirmative Action programs.
He is gutting the range management something ranchers depend on. I think they will love him for that for some reason.
Old 24th May 2017, 09:01 AM   #132
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

http://money.cnn.com/2017/05/24/news...s-budget-cuts/

These people wanted to cut entitlements, why should they be so shocked that they were the entitled people who needed to work harder to pull themselves out of poverty?

Once their kids start to starve they will find it in them to go back to work.
Old 28th May 2017, 04:13 PM   #133
cxkwz3374
New Blood

I thought that rural America was a land of wisdom, common sense, and distrust of urban areas, and yet so many rural Americans voted for the city slicker from hell.
cxkwz3374 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2017, 06:56 PM   #134
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

He's been losing his 'strong support' faster than anything else, and gaining strong opposition to the point where that often exceeds all his approval combined.

The Republicans are still tribal, but everyone else is jumping ship. Everyone else doing that leaves him with 20%.

So there might be some hope that this comes back to bite the Republicans hard, but don't count on it.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2017, 07:19 PM   #135
Civet
Graduate Poster

Glad to see that the Republican health care plan was one of the things that hurt his support. Still wonder what Republican voters thought they would get in a health care plan when they voted R.
Civet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2017, 07:23 PM   #136
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Civet View Post
Glad to see that the Republican health care plan was one of the things that hurt his support. Still wonder what Republican voters thought they would get in a health care plan when they voted R.
They probably thought that all of the "bad people" would get their health insurance taken away, but not themselves. Medicare for me!!
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2023, 04:16 PM   #137
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by cxkwz3374 View Post
I thought that rural America was a land of wisdom, common sense, and distrust of urban areas, and yet so many rural Americans voted for the city slicker from hell.
Hi, are you still lurking? You've been outed by shemp and newyorkguy.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2023, 04:27 PM   #138
Hercules56
Philosopher

Trump would lose some support if he went full-on white supremacist and started using the N word.

And if he supported an assault weapons ban. And opposed a federal abortion ban. And if he supported reducing GHG emissions to fight climate change.

Last edited by Hercules56; 9th November 2023 at 04:29 PM.
Hercules56 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2023, 05:04 PM   #139
Armitage72
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Hercules56 View Post
Trump would lose some support if he went full-on white supremacist and started using the N word.

And if he supported an assault weapons ban. And opposed a federal abortion ban. And if he supported reducing GHG emissions to fight climate change.

He didn't seem to lose any support when he proposed taking people's guns away and worrying about the legal process afterward.

Quote:
President Trump on Wednesday voiced support for confiscating guns from certain individuals deemed to be dangerous, even if it violates due process rights.

“I like taking the guns early, like in this crazy man’s case that just took place in Florida … to go to court would have taken a long time,” Trump said at a meeting with lawmakers on school safety and gun violence.

“Take the guns first, go through due process second,” Trump said.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2023, 05:33 PM   #140
dirtywick
Philosopher

so if there was like a hulk hogan style leaked phone call of him using the n word casually in a way that makes you realize he uses it all the time in private you think he'd lose support?

because i don't
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2023, 07:08 PM   #141
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dirtywick View Post
so if there was like a hulk hogan style leaked phone call of him using the n word casually in a way that makes you realize he uses it all the time in private you think he'd lose support?

because i don't
96% of his supporters would dismiss it as a deep fake.

The other 4% would say, “The sheriff is near!”
Old 9th November 2023, 07:23 PM   #142
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Ask Jim Jones.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2023, 07:28 PM   #143
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
Ask Jim Jones.
Diet Coke, not Kool Aide.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2023, 08:04 PM   #144
Dr.Sid
Illuminator

Admit weakness.
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2023, 01:27 AM   #145
Susheel
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
96% of his supporters would dismiss it as a deep fake.

The other 4% would say, “The sheriff is near!”
I disagree...96% will love him even more for it. At this point, those sticking with Trump are doing so because he validates their racism and bigotry.
Old 10th November 2023, 01:48 AM   #146
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Susheel View Post
I disagree...96% will love him even more for it. At this point, those sticking with Trump are doing so because he validates their racism and bigotry.
That and a)many have an often unrecognized (even by themselves) affinity for strongman authoritarianism, b) live in a right-wing bubble, and c) Trump entertains them, and d)many have nothing but elevator music playing between their ears.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2023, 02:15 AM   #147
PitPat
Philosopher

Say what was wrong about Ivana. He got it right, perfectly. No doubt about that, like Golden Bachelor guy, he seems like an okay guy. Can see him on The Apprentice.

A little bit of a weird face but I think Ivanka would do him. Not saying she would without a rose, I don't know but I will say Jared has been standoffish for about six years.

Last edited by PitPat; 10th November 2023 at 02:16 AM.
PitPat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2023, 06:11 AM   #148
Susheel
Illuminator

Farthest stretch....when Trump finally declares what an idiot he has been and was always living a lie and wants to apologise to all those he has wronged or insulted over the years and would like to dedicate his life and remaining wealth to charitable acts. That will surely loose him the support of his base.
Old 10th November 2023, 06:49 AM   #149
Donal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
That and a)many have an often unrecognized (even by themselves) affinity for strongman authoritarianism, b) live in a right-wing bubble, and c) Trump entertains them, and d)many have nothing but elevator music playing between their ears.
e) It's like a dark mirror of identity politics. Instead of letting how you identify yourself guide your politics, you let your politics guide how you identify yourself. I'm sure someone smarter than me already coined a term for this. Cult of Personality comes close, I suppose.

They throw in so hard for Trump that he has become them. They don't know where he ends and they begin. He can't be a dumb racist *******. That would mean they are dumb racist ********. It's exactly how cults work.
Old 10th November 2023, 06:53 AM   #150
Donal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dr.Sid View Post
Admit weakness.
I'm not even sure of that. Yes, they love the strongman persona. But, they may be so deep in that they will find a way to justify it in their minds. Remember his "apology" after the comments to Billy Bush went public?
Old 10th November 2023, 06:55 AM   #151
Hercules56
Philosopher

Trump could admit to being trans.
Old 10th November 2023, 07:01 AM   #152
Donal
Philosopher

That means he knows how dangerous they are. He's so brave for coming out against them to protect our kids.
Old 10th November 2023, 07:35 AM   #153
ahhell
Philosopher

I think he'd have to be recorded in converstation with H. Clinton calling his supporters morons.

There is no policy issue that actually seems to matter to them. Maybe the border but probably not.\

Hard no one cares about the Trans thing, in 2016 he was the one Rep that said trans folks could use what ever bathroom they want in his buildings.

Last edited by ahhell; 10th November 2023 at 07:38 AM.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2023, 07:52 AM   #154
sackett
Philosopher

He could go full Millán Astray and yell "Down with intelligence! Long live death!" in Phalangist uniform from a balcony.

I'm making a bitter* little joke, of course. That's been his shtick for years and the tribesmen love it.

* Sour, I mean.

When I lashed them with a length of chain, they called me sir.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2023, 08:14 AM   #155
seayakin
Graduate Poster

As others have said, I think recordings of him saying things like the "N" word or saying he really supported Hillary would be dismissed as fakes. He would have do anything like this repeatedly on national television and especially places like Fox News to have an impact. His hard core supporters are so tribal and dug in that their position it would be difficult to convince them.
Old 10th November 2023, 09:21 AM   #156
Donal
Philosopher

There's no one thing that will do it. Any controversy he drums up will just harden their resolve. He could walk into their homes and assault their children and they would thank him for the honor.

The only thing is when the fire finally dies down and they aren't caught up in the moment. Maybe, some of them will be able to step back and look at what they did to themselves and feel the shame.
Old 10th November 2023, 09:24 AM   #157
ahhell
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
There's no one thing that will do it. Any controversy he drums up will just harden their resolve. He could walk into their homes and assault their children and they would thank him for the honor.

The only thing is when the fire finally dies down and they aren't caught up in the moment. Maybe, some of them will be able to step back and look at what they did to themselves and feel the shame.
I think they might move on but most will always have a reason why it made sense at the time even though in the end it was a bad decision. A lot will forget that they ever supported him. Lesser known cognitive bias, we tend to forget that we ever believed anything different from what we believe now. I expect this will be the case with a lot of Trumpists.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2023, 09:34 AM   #158
Donal
Philosopher

Those recurring credit card charges will be there to remind them.
Old 10th November 2023, 10:10 AM   #159
Gulliver Foyle
Illuminator

The thing is his support isn't necessarily because people love T****y, they love the fact that he says what they think. They love that he's given them licence to be racist, to be misogynist, to be homophobic, to be cruel and selfish; in short he allows them to openly be the nazis that they are.

And that's America's dirty little secret, that the whole system of government, the education system, the legal system, in fact the whole of society has inculcated whole generations of people into a fascist system of being. And now somebody's come along and kicked open that hornet's nest for his personal gain.

Once somebody half way competent as a showman comes along to wrest the baton from him, T****y will be thrown to the slagheap by his "adoring fans" quicker than you can say squirrell toupee.
Old 10th November 2023, 10:15 AM   #160
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

There's gotta be something there though. A dozen wannabe "The Next Trumps" have come along and none of them stuck.

If he was just a racist misogynist homophobic blowhard he would have been replaced by now by someone he did it with more quiet and evil efficiency.

There's got to be part of "The persona" in there that is connecting with people somehow.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics