IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bigfoot , Bob Gimlin , Patterson-Gimlin film , Roger Patterson

Old 14th June 2022, 06:48 PM   #2321
Warp12
Banned

Originally Posted by Spektator View Post
Patty's look is copied from an illustration by Morton Kunstler for a 1960 magazine article. Patterson copied the illustration for his pre-PGF book, so he clearly knew Kunstler's work. The magazine article is about the alleged Roe encounter in 1953, in Canada. It is supposed to be the same individual referenced in the sketch linked by Skeptical Greg.

That illustration definitely has a "smoking gun" feel to it!
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2022, 05:09 AM   #2322
Drewbot
Philosopher

Side by side comparison
Patterson and Kuntsler's representation of the hunter's encounter

Patterson:

Kuntsler:
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2022, 08:11 AM   #2323
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
That illustration definitely has a "smoking gun" feel to it!
One of my theories goes like this.

It is a fact that Patterson was trying to make a documentary about an expedition to to find Bigfoot. There is some footage out there based on these efforts. My thoughts are that he was preparing a script which included parts of the Roe encounter.
I think he made a costume for the 'documentary' and after he saw his footage ( that we now see ) it occurred to him that he could float it as the real thing and not bother with the documentary any more.
Old 15th June 2022, 02:38 PM   #2324
Axxman300
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post

It is a fact that Patterson was trying to make a documentary about an expedition to to find Bigfoot. There is some footage out there based on these efforts. My thoughts are that he was preparing a script which included parts of the Roe encounter.
I think he made a costume for the 'documentary' and after he saw his footage ( that we now see ) it occurred to him that he could float it as the real thing and not bother with the documentary any more.
That sounds as good as anything else I've heard. And it's simple too.
Old 15th June 2022, 02:40 PM   #2325
Warp12
Banned

I can't recall if you have commented on this before, but do you also believe it was Bob H. in the suit?
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2022, 06:09 PM   #2326
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

That would be my best bet.

I think the question of who was in the suit is a red herring..

" If you can't name the person in the suit, it must be a real Bigfoot. "

Not..
Old 16th June 2022, 08:09 AM   #2327
Warp12
Banned

That would be my best bet.

I think the question of who was in the suit is a red herring..

" If you can't name the person in the suit, it must be a real Bigfoot. "

Not..

I was just reading a post where someone was using Occam's Razor to explain why it is most likely a real Bigfoot.

Pretty amazing minds out there.
Old 16th June 2022, 08:35 AM   #2328
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

I've seen two videos of Bob Heironimus walking. He walks exactly like Patty. The whole thing including matching arm swings. It's amazing.
Old 16th June 2022, 09:04 AM   #2329
Drewbot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
I've seen two videos of Bob Heironimus walking. He walks exactly like Patty. The whole thing including matching arm swings. It's amazing.
This video shows the walk.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVegHHmZ028
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2022, 10:18 AM   #2330
Warp12
Banned

I think I even saw one where they overlaid him walking and an outline of Patty walking? Pretty much identical, and very distinctive.
Old 16th June 2022, 12:31 PM   #2331
George F Haley
Student

My question is....why make the suit have boobs in the first place? That seems like an odd place to focus any efforts.
As others have noted, Patterson was strongly influenced by an account given by a Mr. Roe of surprising a female bigfoot who then gets up, walks away, turns back, and then wanders out of sight into the woods. This is evidenced by the illustration in Patterson's book, which is, uh..."swiped," they call it in the funnybook business, from an earlier drawing in a men's adventure magazine. As for where Roe got the idea, well...you know, boobs. I notice whenever men travel into the wild, be it by land or sea, they come back with tales of strange creatures, many of which have boobs. Plus, "guy surprises lady in the bushes," that's straight out of Cap'n Billy's Whiz Bang, and that's the level we're dealing with her, with these guys.

Plus, a female Bigfoot, accounts for why your "creature," isn't quite as big as they supposedly are, and lends a whole level of, like...biological credibility. I mean, with boobs you're most of the way towards an animal, if you see what I'm saying.

There's also, and here we're getting away from what is known and on into just me talking, but...every monster movie needs a monster and a girl, and Roger only had the budget for one actor. Plus I can get all...Alan Moore-ish and mention one legend of the patty-suit has its origin in a "girl to gorilla" act, so it's just like, whaddyacallit? cosmic patterns of synchronicity an'at.

I saw this Bridgette Bardot movie where she plays this masked burlesque dancer, and I get sort of the same vibe from Patty, where she gives us a little glimpse of this, and takes it right back, and a glance at that, and hides it again almost immediately, and then, finally...we get one, short view of everything we came to see...right before she disappears behind the curtain, is what I'm getting at, and I suspect Roger has studied this kind of theater, those sorts of entertainments being popular among the kind of fellow who has no steady or obvious means of employment, and so of course there are going to be boobs.
George F Haley is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2022, 03:00 PM   #2332
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
Side by side comparison
Patterson and Kuntsler's representation of the hunter's encounter

Patterson:
<removed due to side boob infraction>
Was that picture actually drawn by Roger Patterson himself? Not really shocked if so given he's proven more than once he was a man of many talents.

It is amazing. Also, beyond Long's book and the uproar it caused in 2004-05, I don't think Heironimus ever really cared if anyone believed him. I mean, he didn't actually think he was finally going to get his money.

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
This video shows the walk.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVegHHmZ028
Even the producers of that video had to give the guy credit "...what it boils down to is, is Roger Patterson incredibly lucky...or a hoaxer of extraordinary gifts?"

In my opinion there's the serious possibility the name Roger Patterson will far outlast names like Tom Hanks or Frank Sinatra in the centuries to come.
HarryHenderson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2022, 07:58 PM   #2333
Pope130
Illuminator

My question is....why make the suit have boobs in the first place? That seems like an odd place to focus any efforts.
I figured it might be because they thought they could get away with a film of fur covered boobs, but if they made the Bigfoot male they'd have to include anatomical features that would get them into trouble with the censors.
Pope130 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2023, 03:02 PM   #2334
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

I realize this thread has been cold for awhile. For anyone interested, Steve Kulls recently did some digging on the rumored Roger Patterson lie detector test either to confirm the test or lay the rumors to rest. He also looked into the Bob Heironimus lie detector test. There is some interesting background info on the person that performed the Bob Heironimus tests. It's worth a watch if anyone's interested.

https://youtu.be/SXDSbNGm64I
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal