IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 2nd February 2023, 08:13 AM   #121
Suddenly
No Punting
 
Suddenly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Not In Follansbee
Posts: 5,353
Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Moderate increases in the marginal income tax rates would hardly ignite mass suffering. At the end of the Obama administration the top personal income tax rate was 39.6%; the corporate tax rate was 35%. Today those numbers are 37% and 21%. I don't remember the Obama years as being a time of agony and deprivation. Just rolling back the Bush and Trump tax cuts and restoring the Obama rates would make a huge difference.
Keep in mind for a lot of the relevant people "pain" means an insufficient rate of return on their 401Ks and/or a small reduction in property values.
Suddenly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2023, 08:25 AM   #122
ahhell
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 5,097
Only tangentially related to what's being discussed but related to the OP.

I have sympathy for what the Republicans are doing but they just don't have any credibility on the issues of debt and deficits. Nobody thinks they do and Trump showed that their constituents don't care. This all some weird pantomime to show that they're "Fighting".
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2023, 09:47 AM   #123
Random
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,563
Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
Only tangentially related to what's being discussed but related to the OP.

I have sympathy for what the Republicans are doing but they just don't have any credibility on the issues of debt and deficits. Nobody thinks they do and Trump showed that their constituents don't care. This all some weird pantomime to show that they're "Fighting".
It's how they win elections. Look up Jude Wanniski and the "Two Santas" theory. Basically, by pushing tax cuts when there is a Republican President, Republicans get associated with low taxes in the minds of voters. By pushing for spending cuts (but not specific programs) and balanced budgets with Democratic Presidents, they give Democrats no room for big spending increases, preventing Democrats from being associated with government benefits in the minds of voters.

It also leads to an ignorant voter base who can't keep taxation and spending policies in their head at the same time, but as long as enough voters are pushing the R button in elections...
__________________
The road to Fascism is paved with people saying, "You're overreacting!".
Random is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2023, 09:51 AM   #124
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian
 
The Great Zaganza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 19,344
yep.

Republicans WANT a huge deficit, because that money goes to their donors, one way or the other.
As always, they stand for privatization of profits and socialization of debt.
__________________
"The only true paradise is paradise lost"
Marcel Proust
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2023, 10:20 AM   #125
ahhell
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 5,097
Originally Posted by Random View Post
It's how they win elections. Look up Jude Wanniski and the "Two Santas" theory. Basically, by pushing tax cuts when there is a Republican President, Republicans get associated with low taxes in the minds of voters. By pushing for spending cuts (but not specific programs) and balanced budgets with Democratic Presidents, they give Democrats no room for big spending increases, preventing Democrats from being associated with government benefits in the minds of voters.

It also leads to an ignorant voter base who can't keep taxation and spending policies in their head at the same time, but as long as enough voters are pushing the R button in elections...
The thing there is that there constituents don't care so I don't see the point.

It does not lead to ignorant voters, ignorant voters exist regardless and they vote for both parties.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2023, 11:09 AM   #126
Random
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,563
Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
The thing there is that there constituents don't care so I don't see the point.

It does not lead to ignorant voters, ignorant voters exist regardless and they vote for both parties.
The point is that the GOP puts on this song and dance about the deficit when there is a Democratic President in order to block Democrats from spending money doing popular things. This makes Democrats less popular, and helps the GOP take back power. That is the political dynamic at play. Block Dems from spending money on popular things when Dems are in power, enact popular tax cuts when the GOP is in power.

The state of the budget is irrelevant.
__________________
The road to Fascism is paved with people saying, "You're overreacting!".
Random is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2023, 01:21 PM   #127
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: US of A
Posts: 16,343
One assessment of the budget:
Quote:
On the subject of government, most Americans sound conservative in the abstract and liberal in the specific. They say government should be small and the budget should be balanced, but when it comes to particular things government actually does, they support almost all of them and want to spend more money on them.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...cuts-liberals/
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:43 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.