IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags social issue

Old 25th September 2022, 08:25 AM   #1
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Keeping a Breast (or maybe two) of an Issue

From the Daily Mail (it's actually the best reporting on the story I could find):

EXCLUSIVE: 'This is a school, not a circus.' Students join protestors outside Canadian school where trans teacher with oversize prosthetic breasts, as authorities consider introducing DRESS CODE to force her to tone down her look

Other reporting here:
https://www.insidehalton.com/news-st...opriate-dress/

and here:
https://torontosun.com/opinion/colum...kville-teacher

Videos here:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

As of now it is unresolved. But there are an awful lot of opinions!

Disclaimer: One of my grandsons goes to this school and was extremely upset . . . . . . . as they cancelled his football practice because of the bomb threat.

Old 25th September 2022, 08:36 AM   #2
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

The question to be asked of all involved is whether these are really the hills to die upon?
Old 25th September 2022, 08:40 AM   #3
SteveAitch
Muse

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
The question to be asked of all involved is whether these are really the hills to die upon?
Only if it's la petite mort...

Some people call me 'strange'. I prefer 'unconventional'. But I'm willing to compromise and accept 'eccentric'...
SteveAitch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2022, 09:00 AM   #4
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Sooooo..... I guess this teacher identifies as someone with massively huge boobs? Ok. Lets see a guy strap a two foot dildo and a pair of volleyballs stretched under his bike shorts and prance around the school because they identify as a monster schlong-haver. We'll see how tolerant everyone is feeling then.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2022, 09:05 AM   #5
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Sooooo..... I guess this teacher identifies as someone with massively huge boobs? Ok. Lets see a guy strap a two foot dildo and a pair of volleyballs stretched under his bike shorts and prance around the school because they identify as a monster schlong-haver. We'll see how tolerant everyone is feeling then.
Do you feel that a penis and testicles are equivalent to breasts? Breasts aren't sex organs. The female equivalent would be a vulva, surely?
Old 25th September 2022, 09:06 AM   #6
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

I'll let you know if that happens.
Old 25th September 2022, 09:12 AM   #7
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Do you feel that a penis and testicles are equivalent to breasts? Breasts aren't sex organs. The female equivalent would be a vulva, surely?
If we are talking about the functionality of physiology, sure. If we are talking about pronounced secondary sex characteristics, women's upper set are far more visible in street clothes than the occasional camel toe.

You see a lot of topless women running around? Playing Skins and Shirts in gym class teams? Bosoms be a thing, blatantcy wise.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2022, 09:16 AM   #8
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

*Some of us will absolutely not go into That Thread unless feeling a touch suicidal.

This story has a lot to do with comic absurdity, more than gender expression. I don't think this guy seriously feels that he needs to present this way. Its a stunt.

Old 25th September 2022, 09:24 AM   #9
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Its a stunt.
What's the point of the stunt?
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2022, 09:29 AM   #10
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, that's true. Which is why being topless isn't considered equivalent to being bottomless in terms of clothing for females.

Nevertheless, breast are still sexual organs. Which is why being topless for a female isn't considered equivalent to being topless for a male. And this is wildly inappropriate behavior for that teacher.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2022, 09:29 AM   #11
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
Ask him. I simply recognize a bull **** act when I see it.

Old 25th September 2022, 09:31 AM   #12
Ron Obvious
Muse

Histrionic Personality Disorder? It seems rather common these days.
Old 25th September 2022, 09:31 AM   #13
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Ask him. I simply recognize a bull **** act when I see it.
You mean ask her, surely.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2022, 09:33 AM   #14
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

My best guess is it satisfies some paraphilia. But I don't think we really need to figure that out. It suffices to note the behavior is inappropriate, regardless of motive.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2022, 09:37 AM   #15
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

You mean ask her, surely.
Meet ya halfway at "them". I'm not ready to start calling their car a motorcycle just yet either.

Old 25th September 2022, 09:48 AM   #16
Matthew Best
Philosopher

She should get together with this lady.
Old 25th September 2022, 10:00 AM   #17
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

I think Bogo is right on this one, it's trickier than it looks:

https://twitter.com/peterboghossian/...69292921696258

Personally, I'd say massive breasts are distracting, but then so are perfectly normal ones.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Old 25th September 2022, 10:02 AM   #18
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

I saw a live dancer once at a go go place years ago, her name was April Chest. 55 was her top number (American inches). Got to pull a lollipop lodged in her cleavage out with my mouth. But honestly, I don't get the massive funbag thing. More than a handful is wasted.

Old 25th September 2022, 10:06 AM   #19
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Looking at the pics again, couldn't they at least jack those hoo hahs up to above belt level? Most boobs don't start below the waistline.

Old 25th September 2022, 10:17 AM   #20
Stout
Philosopher

So...anybody have and estimates as to what these boobs might weigh if they were real? Are we looking at 50kg of flesh?

I decided to take one for the team and source out a pair of these and the fakes weigh in at 9.5kg and they come with a silicone vest to keep them attached with the silicone going right up to your jaw. I don't know why I started thinking Silence of the Lambs, but I did.

At least they have some bounce to them when she walks. Glad my massive beer gut doesn't do that.

https://www.rebelnews.com/protesters...ersial_teacher
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2022, 10:18 AM   #21
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post

Personally, I'd say massive breasts are distracting, but then so are perfectly normal ones.

The distinction is whether something is real or they are playing comical dress up.

My answer to bogo's argument question is "We shouldn't act like ******** in a schoolroom environment".

Old 25th September 2022, 10:38 AM   #22
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

I assume the key part of the argument is behind the asterisks.

Old 25th September 2022, 10:48 AM   #23
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

No, it's not tricky at all. This person is choosing to make kids in their class really uncomfortable, for no justifiable reason. That is morally wrong.

Yes, natural breasts can be distracting to teenage boys. But they're natural. These are not natural. The kids know these aren't natural. The kids know that this teacher is male. So it's far more than distracting, it's disturbing. It's sending out signals that something isn't right with this person. And as a teacher, they have power over you. It's a completely logical conclusion for any child in that class that this teacher isn't safe to be around. Hell, as an adult male I think I wouldn't feel safe around someone who thought it was OK to dress this way in school, and not at an adults-only Halloween party or similar (and even there I'd think it was in bad taste).
Old 25th September 2022, 10:50 AM   #24
Elaedith
Master Poster

To provoke disciplinary action and then sue for discrimination? It's a possibility.
Old 25th September 2022, 10:59 AM   #25
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

It's generally considered antisocial to involve people in your kink without their consent.
Old 25th September 2022, 12:38 PM   #26
angrysoba
Philosophile

Do we know this isnít a hoax? Or some kind of piss-take? The OP says his grandson goes to the school. Has this teacher been well-known for this or any other strange behaviour in the past?
Old 25th September 2022, 01:12 PM   #27
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Assuming this is real and not a hoax I must say that even though I'm quite cool with transsexuals and all sorts of things that some people don't like, this strikes me as pretty intentionally grotesque, and I find it hard to imagine that it is not a gesture intended to make some point or other.

I think the transsexual element of it is something of a red herring. If anyone of any gender appeared as a teacher with such hyperbolically enormous artificial breasts with prominent nipples protruding, I think it would be reasonable to consider the gesture inappropriate.

Of course, we may not know the whole story. It might make a difference if, for example, the person in question had been taken to task for using any prosthetic breasts at all. The little we know here has no context. But so far, it does not look like a reasonable gesture, and although the issue might be complicated for some, it might be simple for others, and if you're arguing for "all or nothing," you should remember that "nothing" is one possible outcome.

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2022, 01:32 PM   #28
Rolfe
Adult human female

I have no idea whether this take is correct, but it's worth posting.

https://twitter.com/Slatzism/status/1573730078583816197

Maybe Gord knows more about this.
Old 25th September 2022, 01:43 PM   #29
Rolfe
Adult human female

*Some of us will absolutely not go into That Thread unless feeling a touch suicidal.

This story has a lot to do with comic absurdity, more than gender expression. I don't think this guy seriously feels that he needs to present this way. Its a stunt.

Anyone who thinks this issue doesn't go to the heart of the absurdity that is the current "gender is real, sex isn't" delusion, is out of touch with reality.

How would it ever have been possible for any man to show up at work like this - any normal work, not just working with children - without the trans activists insisting that "transwomen are women" and that any expression of disquiet about anything a trans-identifying man does is transphobia and probably a hate crime?

That's the background and the foreground to this. Whether this reductio ad absurdum will make anyone think twice, I don't know.
Old 25th September 2022, 01:50 PM   #30
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
No, it's not tricky at all. This person is choosing to make kids in their class really uncomfortable, for no justifiable reason. That is morally wrong.

Yes, natural breasts can be distracting to teenage boys. But they're natural. These are not natural. The kids know these aren't natural. The kids know that this teacher is male. So it's far more than distracting, it's disturbing. It's sending out signals that something isn't right with this person. And as a teacher, they have power over you. It's a completely logical conclusion for any child in that class that this teacher isn't safe to be around. Hell, as an adult male I think I wouldn't feel safe around someone who thought it was OK to dress this way in school, and not at an adults-only Halloween party or similar (and even there I'd think it was in bad taste).
One of the articles interviewed students of the school, who said they don't much think about this. Kind of a no biggie.

So is that good or bad? Are these kids so forward thinking and progressive enough as to accept anyone's oddities without comment, or are they so disconnected from reality that they see real people as essentially like anime characters?

Old 25th September 2022, 01:56 PM   #31
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
I have no idea whether this take is correct, but it's worth posting.

https://twitter.com/Slatzism/status/1573730078583816197

Maybe Gord knows more about this.
Not really. Knowing my grandson I would guess he does not have any sort of strong opinion. I'll ask my daughter next time I see her as she is reasonably well connected to the school community.

The most relevant comment I've seen so far is from someone who knows about "shop" and suggests that the teacher should not be teaching it as a number of safety regulations are being breached.
Old 25th September 2022, 02:15 PM   #32
mumblethrax
Species traitor

This is what it feels like when people try to get me to watch anime.
mumblethrax is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2022, 02:22 PM   #33
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

From the article:

Quote:
Leia says one passenger asked to have her moved because she was pushing up against the womanís boyfriend...
The boyfriend didn't complain, though. Hmmm.

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Yes, natural breasts can be distracting to teenage boys.
I still fondly recall my French class, from 1974, when we were 15, when our normal teacher introduced us to a teacher from France who was taking the class for a few weeks. She was a lovely French woman of about 22, and shunned brassieres.

It was the most attentive class in all school history! We didn't learn a lot but we were all upoutstanding pupils.
Old 25th September 2022, 02:51 PM   #34
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

One of the articles interviewed students of the school, who said they don't much think about this. Kind of a no biggie.
If none of the students complained, that does make the parents look like uptight ******** when they do.

Last edited by d4m10n; 25th September 2022 at 02:59 PM.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2022, 03:16 PM   #35
Rolfe
Adult human female

If none of the students complained, that does make the parents look like uptight ******** when they do.

I'm sure I remember links in the other thread to articles which highlighted a number of concerns and complaints by pupils in the school. It was my impression that it was the pupils themselves who had gone public with the story, mainly because nobody was doing anything about the teacher's behaviour, which they found quite disturbing, and it seemed that pathological behaviour was being normalised.
Old 25th September 2022, 03:30 PM   #36
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
The sociological aspects of trans ideology are what is being discussed in the other thread. I'm a bit unclear why we need a whole new thread for this single incident.

I mean, whether or not this teacher is a "woman" and in what sense is precisely the question here.
I think (and guessing from my own experience) partly because that thread is a monster and people donít want to touch it with a barge pole.

This story is at least funny.
Old 25th September 2022, 03:45 PM   #37
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
I think (and guessing from my own experience) partly because that thread is a monster and people donít want to touch it with a barge pole.

This story is at least funny.
Thanks for the modicum of support.
Old 25th September 2022, 03:49 PM   #38
Rolfe
Adult human female

Hey, I don't want to talk about this hugely contentious thing happening in my society. Its impact on women's rights and child safeguarding aren't issues I wish to consider.

So I'll start a completely new thread so we can laugh at this bloke walking around with enormous fake tits. Isn't it hilarious?
Old 25th September 2022, 03:49 PM   #39
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Although I have seen the lurid headlines, I don't really know the full background to this but it strikes me as grotesque. I wonder whether this person has lightweight prosthetic boobs because trust me, for a woman they would be extremely heavy and give rise to unpleasant backache and the constant irritation of people gawking at them. From where I am standing it is like someone pretending to be a cripple.

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2022, 03:52 PM   #40
Rolfe
Adult human female

It's already known what they are. There is a specific name for them, which I can't at the moment recall. They are a fetish prop sold in relation to a specific form of Japanese animť porn, and the name means something like exploding milk bombs.

And of course they weigh very little. Seriously, do you think anyone would manufacture such a thing from material that weighs the same as breast tissue? They're probably a hollow shell. (I did see a picture of someone wearing a set without putting clothes on top and they looked light and possibly hollow.)

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events