IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Kindle

Old 30th November 2021, 01:12 PM   #1
Ranb
Penultimate Amazing

Kindle Paperwhite Problem

I have a Kindle Paperwhite purchased in 2018. I did a reset on it to purge various files that showed up on window explorer when connected to my laptop.

After the reset I downloaded books from Amazon that were previously purchased. So far so good. But when I downloaded other books from my laptop I noticed that when sorting for collections, the newly downloaded books did not appear on the page after the pages of collections.

Thinking this could be resolved with a software update, I did so and then I found that I could no longer sort by collections (grayed out), and my old collections were no longer visible. I found they still existed as attempting to re-create the collections told me that they already existed and I was required to pick a new name.

I created a new "test" collection and this allowed me to sort by collections once again, but it only showed my new test collection. When tapping on a book name to move it to a collection, it says the book is already in a collection, but the collection is not visible on the screen after moving or not moving the book. When moving a book to a new collection, it shows my existing collections, but after tapping on "done", the screen changes to the list of books on the Kindle and the one new collection I made with the old collections still invisible.

Searching the internet seems to show solutions that refer to older software version. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Ranb
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2021, 01:32 PM   #2
Worm
Illuminator

I have nothing concrete to offer, other than to confirm that the Kindle software's handling of collections is, at best, awkward and obtuse.

I once had an issue with my really old standard Kindle (I still have just a Kindle, not a Paperwhite or anything newer) and there was a bit of software that could parse Collection files, but no doubt things have moved on from there.

Part of the problem will no doubt be that the Kindle will basically forget about any book that you didn't buy from Amazon, but there will still be ghost entries in the collections file, which will make it spit out the dummy and refuse to act in any kind of sensible way. I vaguely recall having to wipe the whole thing and start afresh. Which was a massive pain.

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness
Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2021, 01:39 PM   #3
deadrose
Illuminator

This sounds like what I'm dealing with on my Kindle Fire. Amazon is making it very difficult to access side-loaded books. I can still find them if I open the full Kindle program, but they won't show up in my new books or front-page shortcuts. It started after a recent OS update.

It appears they're trying to make it as close to a closed system as they can legally.
deadrose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2021, 02:33 PM   #4
Ranb
Penultimate Amazing

Even collections with books only from Amazon are affected also. The new software decided that I can't sort by or display collections from prior to the software update.

ETA; I went to my Amazon account and deleted the old collections. Making new collections on Amazon does not allow them to display on the Kindle; that sucks.

I was able to transfer my own work and that of other authors who have given me their e-books to the Kindle from Calibre without problems.

Last edited by Ranb; 30th November 2021 at 03:22 PM.
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2021, 12:40 PM   #5
Wudang
BOFH

I hate to sound like "turn it off and on again" but have you tried deregistering the device and reregistering it?

And yes collections need a lot of work.
Old 4th December 2021, 04:42 PM   #6
Ranb
Penultimate Amazing

I settled for the factory reset and deleting my existing collections from the Amazon account. It is back to normal other than the software update that I'm still getting used to.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet