IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 29th November 2021, 07:24 AM   #521
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Someone just asked me what day I'd be doing the December 1 data pulls. I told him we could talk about that in the 9:00 call if he'd let me know what time that would be happening.
Old 29th November 2021, 02:09 PM   #522
Filippo Lippi
Illuminator

Them "We didn't get a lot of information on the change."
Us "The detail was left out because you are the experts."
Me "And it should have been an incident because it was your failure to create the rules correctly in the first place over 30 months ago"

Had to be said
You can't defeat fascism through debate because it's not simply an idea, proposal or theory. It's a fundamentally flawed way of looking at the world. It's a distorting prism, emotionally charged and completely logic-proof. You may as well challenge rabies to a game of Boggle. @ViolettaCrisis
Filippo Lippi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2021, 05:47 PM   #523
rdaneel
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
1200 baud? Luxury! We had 2 tin cans and a string but it was an internet to us.
Oh, well, aren't you posh? We had to transcribe binary code from smoke signals onto punch cards. We're hopeful that our torrent of Weird Al's movie "UHF" will be ready in only 99 to 100 generations.
rdaneel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2021, 09:02 PM   #524
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by rdaneel View Post
Oh, well, aren't you posh? We had to transcribe binary code from smoke signals onto punch cards. We're hopeful that our torrent of Weird Al's movie "UHF" will be ready in only 99 to 100 generations.
Pffft. REAL programmers program in binary.

...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2021, 07:31 AM   #525
Filippo Lippi
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Filippo Lippi View Post
Them "We didn't get a lot of information on the change."

Us "The detail was left out because you are the experts."

Me "And it should have been an incident because it was your failure to create the rules correctly in the first place over 30 months ago"

Had to be said
They did fix the database lag in development problem after a year and bit.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
You can't defeat fascism through debate because it's not simply an idea, proposal or theory. It's a fundamentally flawed way of looking at the world. It's a distorting prism, emotionally charged and completely logic-proof. You may as well challenge rabies to a game of Boggle. @ViolettaCrisis
Filippo Lippi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2021, 09:28 AM   #526
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Dear User: if I've suggested that you need to run your request by your boss's boss's boss's boss, a senior vice president, before proceeding it means you probably shouldn't be asking that. It's a warning that your request is very questionable, and the question concerns your continued employment prospects. There are some areas in which we do not play. Take a hint and tread carefully.
Old 3rd December 2021, 07:25 AM   #527
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

After another round of tech support with my elderly mother: dear user, please try to prioritize in order of what's actually important. In this case: a potential Gmail account compromise. At stake: all her accounts everywhere, including the financial institutions where she keeps all her retirement money. Her main concern: the weather app on her phone stopped working. So while I'm trying to verify that she was the one who changed her password and recovered her account, she's fussing over being able to see the temperature on her phone. Grrrrrrrrrrrr!
Old 3rd December 2021, 09:33 AM   #528
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
After another round of tech support with my elderly mother: dear user, please try to prioritize in order of what's actually important. In this case: a potential Gmail account compromise. At stake: all her accounts everywhere, including the financial institutions where she keeps all her retirement money. Her main concern: the weather app on her phone stopped working. So while I'm trying to verify that she was the one who changed her password and recovered her account, she's fussing over being able to see the temperature on her phone. Grrrrrrrrrrrr!
Get her the Frog-in-a-jar app.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2021, 12:56 PM   #529
xterra
So far, so good...

Location: On the outskirts of Nowhere; the middle was too crowded
Get her the rope-on-a-branch app.

Not only is it wireless, it doesn't even need batteries!
Old 3rd December 2021, 02:05 PM   #530
Little 10 Toes
Master Poster

Deleted. thought I was responding to a much needed post and I wasn't.

Last edited by Little 10 Toes; 3rd December 2021 at 04:03 PM.
Little 10 Toes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2021, 02:07 PM   #531
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

And my mom's technical problems are exacerbated by my sister constantly giving her the latest trendy gadgets. Which is generous, but extremely unwelcome. My mom doesn't want a thermostat she can control from her phone, and not from the actual wall. And of course the app doesn't work correctly so the heat keeps lowering itself. She didn't need a damn Alexa that if you scream at it several times it will switch on a single lamp in the living room. You know lamps, those things that if you want them on you can just twist a little button on them? She certainly didn't want a TV so "smart" it needs three remotes and fifteen minutes of guesswork to turn on to watch anything. I'm dreading what electronic gizmo she'll be giving her this Xmas.
Old 5th December 2021, 07:43 PM   #532
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

And my mom's technical problems are exacerbated by my sister constantly giving her the latest trendy gadgets. Which is generous, but extremely unwelcome. My mom doesn't want a thermostat she can control from her phone, and not from the actual wall. And of course the app doesn't work correctly so the heat keeps lowering itself. She didn't need a damn Alexa that if you scream at it several times it will switch on a single lamp in the living room. You know lamps, those things that if you want them on you can just twist a little button on them? She certainly didn't want a TV so "smart" it needs three remotes and fifteen minutes of guesswork to turn on to watch anything. I'm dreading what electronic gizmo she'll be giving her this Xmas.
Take out all the batteries.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2021, 07:29 AM   #533
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Take out all the batteries.
Sorry to tell you, these days they're mostly soldered in. Better to hide all the chargers and let the batteries run down.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2021, 07:45 AM   #534
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
Sorry to tell you, these days they're mostly soldered in. Better to hide all the chargers and let the batteries run down.
Well they certainly have updated the design of sisters - never knew that!
Old 8th December 2021, 11:05 PM   #535
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Heard today:

How does the smartcard printer work?

Want me to show you?

Not really.
Old 9th December 2021, 09:02 AM   #536
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

A: Hmm, I dunno, maybe it's possible. It's worth a try.

Q: Would my Excel spreadsheet be smaller if I didn't have 34 pivot tables in it?
Old 9th December 2021, 07:21 PM   #537
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I am getting really sick of talking to the Most Important Person In The Department.

On the other hand, it is nice to talk to someone who genuinely is important, has taken the time to call us themself, has a real problem, and is actually nice about it. That doesn't happen often, but it does happen.
Old 9th December 2021, 10:35 PM   #538
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Also, this:

Recorded announcement: Welcome to the followup line. If your job is more than three days old, please have your job reference number ready and hold the line for an operator.

Me: Hi, this is <me>, how can I help?

Them: Oh, it's not three days old, but can I follow up my job?

Me: Sure, do you have the job reference number?

Them: No...
Old 10th December 2021, 07:49 AM   #539
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Again, someone doesn't understand how numbers work. Yes, it's possible for me to get you all the data you want. However what you want will be between forty and fifty million rows of data. How much time do you want to devote to reading the results? Because I only work 40 hours a week and plan to retire in 2043.
Old 10th December 2021, 08:19 AM   #540
Filippo Lippi
Illuminator

Similar

Me - "Why are we writing millions of lines of sysout* every day?"

Them - "just in case"

*job output from batch processes
Old 10th December 2021, 09:35 AM   #541
Filippo Lippi
Illuminator

Going to a team Christmas do, but can't shake my confusion about this new program that specifically handles an empty input file, but has a sort step before it that bypasses the program when the input file is empty.

This may come to blows when cold drinks have been taken

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Old 10th December 2021, 01:06 PM   #542
Blue Mountain

Originally Posted by Filippo Lippi View Post
Similar

Me - "Why are we writing millions of lines of sysout* every day?"

Them - "just in case"

*job output from batch processes
Heh! I'm like that. I wrote a backup process for my home Linux server that uses rsync to copy data from the primary drive to a backup drive. It runs daily. I compress the output from each run and save it to a file. It's been part of my system since 2014, and I now have about 175 megs in 2,585 bz2 files going back 7 years.

I just did a count: uncompressed, there are 30,368,002 lines total. Most of these files I'll never look at. However, storage is cheap, and I have on occasion looked at the output from a run or two just to see if a certain file was (or was not) included in a backup.

Sometimes it's better to have the data and not use than it is to wish you had it after something goes seriously wrong. In this case, cycling off the output after a few months would probably be a good idea.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2021, 01:34 PM   #543
malbui
Beauf

From the user side: I noticed a few anomalies in some output and was having trouble tracing what had been going on. I asked the sysadmin if activities on that platform were logged, and he said yes. So does anybody review the logs? No. And what happens to the logs? They wait until they've filled the partition and then delete them.

Hmmmm.
Old 14th December 2021, 01:16 PM   #544
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Again, someone doesn't understand how numbers work. Yes, it's possible for me to get you all the data you want. However what you want will be between forty and fifty million rows of data. How much time do you want to devote to reading the results? Because I only work 40 hours a week and plan to retire in 2043.
Heh. Same person I talked out of the above made a new request that would be even bigger. Billions with a B rows of data because she wants three overlapping sets of data where every item on each of the three can (and does) have multiple entries. Pointlessly duplicative--there's no real relation between two of the sets, just that the third connects to both. It makes infinitely more sense to just keep them separate but she has it in her head that "one big spreadsheet" is the way to go. Sure, lady. We'll print it out, it'll cover the entire city and you can drive your car on it to find the rows you want.
Old 14th December 2021, 03:49 PM   #545
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

There's nothing that can't be managed by using a bigger spreadsheet.

Last edited by a_unique_person; 14th December 2021 at 04:15 PM.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2021, 05:18 PM   #546
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

We have something going on right now that is being referred to as "tender". And it is The Most Important Thing Happening In The Universe Right Now. We literally have to drop everything and do everything they say immediately, because they say so. I have no idea what they're doing. But whatever it is, they're making literally everything else wait.
Old 14th December 2021, 05:31 PM   #547
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Heh! I'm like that. I wrote a backup process for my home Linux server that uses rsync to copy data from the primary drive to a backup drive. It runs daily. I compress the output from each run and save it to a file. It's been part of my system since 2014, and I now have about 175 megs in 2,585 bz2 files going back 7 years.

I just did a count: uncompressed, there are 30,368,002 lines total. Most of these files I'll never look at. However, storage is cheap, and I have on occasion looked at the output from a run or two just to see if a certain file was (or was not) included in a backup.

Sometimes it's better to have the data and not use than it is to wish you had it after something goes seriously wrong. In this case, cycling off the output after a few months would probably be a good idea.
I can get you a great tape library system with probably a few dozen tape cartridges. Should extend your backup capacity to effectively unlimited. Or at least until you or your computer die.
Old 14th December 2021, 05:33 PM   #548
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Heh. Same person I talked out of the above made a new request that would be even bigger. Billions with a B rows of data because she wants three overlapping sets of data where every item on each of the three can (and does) have multiple entries. Pointlessly duplicative--there's no real relation between two of the sets, just that the third connects to both. It makes infinitely more sense to just keep them separate but she has it in her head that "one big spreadsheet" is the way to go. Sure, lady. We'll print it out, it'll cover the entire city and you can drive your car on it to find the rows you want.
Say you will give her an external HDD with the one file on it, and charge her for the cost of the HDD. Because it will be several thousand dollars. Same again, next month. She might...rethink.
Old 14th December 2021, 05:34 PM   #549
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
We have something going on right now that is being referred to as "tender". And it is The Most Important Thing Happening In The Universe Right Now. We literally have to drop everything and do everything they say immediately, because they say so. I have no idea what they're doing. But whatever it is, they're making literally everything else wait.
I'm a fellow PS sufferer!

Shall I send in some Christmas care packages? A "tender" is not just the process, it's how you feel afterwards.
Old 15th December 2021, 02:19 AM   #550
Blue Mountain

I can get you a great tape library system with probably a few dozen tape cartridges. Should extend your backup capacity to effectively unlimited. Or at least until you or your computer die.
How well do the tape drives handle rsync?
Old 16th December 2021, 07:52 AM   #551
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Dear Users: you can't use different logic in different reports to track something not-quite-the-same and then expect the numbers to match. "But Martha's numbers say 71,029!" Yes, because Martha included A, B, C, and excluded D. You excluded A, included D, and for some insane reason decided that Z should be included if and only if it happened during a full moon. That's why your numbers say 40,277 and also you are an idiot. Martha is right, and I for one hope she beats you to death with a taxidermied marmot for questioning her very correct numbers.
Old 16th December 2021, 08:10 AM   #552
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Shady Chrome websites that disguise their notifications as virus/security pop-ups have been eating up way too much of my time in the last few days.
Old 16th December 2021, 02:04 PM   #553
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

How well do the tape drives handle rsync?
Tapes from LTO5 onwards can be used as file systems. Say hello to LTFS.
Old 16th December 2021, 02:09 PM   #554
Blue Mountain

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Shady Chrome websites that disguise their notifications as virus/security pop-ups have been eating up way too much of my time in the last few days.
What's the difference between a Chrome website and a regular website? Is it that the site is intended to give information and or extensions for the Google Chrome web browser?
Old 16th December 2021, 02:12 PM   #555
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Tapes from LTO5 onwards can be used as file systems. Say hello to LTFS.
Pah - nothing on my dual Sinclair QL Microdrives!
Old 16th December 2021, 02:12 PM   #556
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

What's the difference between a Chrome website and a regular website? Is it that the site is intended to give information and or extensions for the Google Chrome web browser?
Sorry I meant in the sense, from what I've seen at least, it's easier in Chrome to fall victim to these sort of "Let this website send you notifications LOL it's all spam adds that look like virus warnings!" thing.
Old 16th December 2021, 04:19 PM   #557
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Pah - nothing on my dual Sinclair QL Microdrives!
Gnarly.
Old 16th December 2021, 06:11 PM   #558
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Sorry I meant in the sense, from what I've seen at least, it's easier in Chrome to fall victim to these sort of "Let this website send you notifications LOL it's all spam adds that look like virus warnings!" thing.
Chrome used to be a great browser. It isn't any more. I've mentioned before how weird it feels to be saying this, but I find Edge to be more reliable than most other browsers right now.
Old 17th December 2021, 03:04 AM   #559
Wudang
BOFH

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Chrome used to be a great browser. It isn't any more. I've mentioned before how weird it feels to be saying this, but I find Edge to be more reliable than most other browsers right now.
Yeah Chrome's turn in the "we're the dominant browser so let's bloat it to hell and make it clog everyone's computers" cycle. Firefox did that for a while but their last big rewrite seems to have fixed that. I deliberately don't use Edge (despite hearing good things) as MS's "hold his nose and make him swallow" attitude to deploying edge just pisses me off.
Old 17th December 2021, 02:57 PM   #560
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

It just took three experts 56 minutes to get it into the very thick skulls of management that if particular data isn't put into the database, we cannot pull that data out of the database. I know how much I'm paid per hour, and I'm pretty sure everyone else on the call is paid even more, so this was a waste not just of my time and patience but also money.

How do these people get promoted?!

eta: They've scheduled another call for next week so it can be gone over again, with more people.

Last edited by TragicMonkey; 17th December 2021 at 03:12 PM.
TragicMonkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet