IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Australia history

Old 26th September 2021, 09:44 PM   #3081
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Voting has begun in the Bird of the Year poll.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...your-favourite

It's a little bit different this year:

Quote:
The voting system in 2021 has changed. The competition kicks off on Monday 27 September with a lineup of 50 Australian native birds. The bottom five birds are eliminated at the end of each weekday, with everyone able to vote again in the next round each day. So on Tuesday, you can vote again on the 45 most popular birds from Monday and so on. You have one vote each day, but it doesn't have to go to the same bird. Eliminations will be paused over the weekend when the vote count will be hidden. Voting will go dark on Thursday 7 October for the final 10 birds and voting will close at midnight. All votes from the early rounds are discarded before the final count. The winning bird will be the one that receives the most votes in a simple poll of the final 10 on Thursday 7 October. The winner is announced on Friday 8 October. What will your strategy be? Will you vote for your favourite bird every day or for more underrated birds in the early rounds to keep them in the competition?
I'll be making sure to vote every day. What about you?
Old 27th September 2021, 10:50 AM   #3082
Prometheus
Acolyte of Víđarr

On which criteria are we supposed to chose a favourite? I've probably eaten fewer than half of the species included....
Don't be offended. I'm not calling you a serial killer. -- Ron Tomkins.
Prometheus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2021, 09:16 PM   #3083
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
On which criteria are we supposed to chose a favourite? I've probably eaten fewer than half of the species included....
On whatever criteria you like. You've been given all of the information.
Old 27th September 2021, 09:59 PM   #3084
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Bush stone curlews are so cute the way they hide by freezing. And their haunting night calls.

Love sulphur crested cockatoos for their attitude.

Black and whistling kites are effortless thermal soarers.

Last edited by Sideroxylon; 27th September 2021 at 10:00 PM.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2021, 11:33 PM   #3085
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
Love sulphur crested cockatoos for their attitude.
Cockies in the Sydney area have recently learned how to open wheelie bins by copying each other.
Old 28th September 2021, 12:54 AM   #3086
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Far too many votes for the magpie. Swooping bastards.

I’d vote for the Powerful Owl. Great name, and we have one who has a nest not far away. It’s deep, hooting howl is wonderful. Just a few weeks ago it decided to sit on a drainage pipe of our house during the day and stayed for hours. It ignored our barking dog and I thought it might be ill, but it went away that night and we still hear the call.

I once spoke to a zoologist about the owl. She often gives evidence in cases involving land developers who want to subdivide Powerful Owl habitats. We have a developer who owns a lot of land behind us. Her words “nobody will develop Powerful Owl land, just call me”. I still have her number.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2021, 12:59 AM   #3087
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I've already voted once for the magpie, even though one of the little bastards knocked me off my bike at speed when I was a kid. I still love them. They're smart, not ******** for nine months out of every year, and they sing beautifully.

But at this early stage I'm spreading my votes around to several of my favourites - the sulfur crested cockatoo, the tawny frogmouth, the kookaburra and the galah are all on my list.
Old 28th September 2021, 08:46 PM   #3088
sackett
Philosopher

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
I've already voted once for the magpie, even though one of the little bastards knocked me off my bike at speed when I was a kid. I still love them. They're smart, not ******** for nine months out of every year, and they sing beautifully.

But at this early stage I'm spreading my votes around to several of my favourites - the sulfur crested cockatoo, the tawny frogmouth, the kookaburra and the galah are all on my list.
You have a very VERY different magpie down there than in N. America. Ours isn't little, is a perfect ****** 24/7/365 (366 in leap years), and sings like nails on a blackboard. I'd vote for them to be national bird of the Detroit city dump, but they'd probably team up with the rats and take over the city govt.

Hmm. Might be an improvement.

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2021, 09:37 PM   #3089
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
You have a very VERY different magpie down there than in N. America. Ours isn't little, is a perfect ****** 24/7/365 (366 in leap years), and sings like nails on a blackboard. I'd vote for them to be national bird of the Detroit city dump, but they'd probably team up with the rats and take over the city govt.

Hmm. Might be an improvement.
That's right - the Australian magpie (Cracticus tibecen) isn't even in the same family. European and American magpies are corvids, while Australian magpies are in the family Artamidae. We have our corvids - the Australian raven Corvidae coronoides is native to my region. But it's not in the poll so I guess no-one cares.

Last edited by arthwollipot; 28th September 2021 at 09:39 PM.
arthwollipot is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2021, 10:55 PM   #3090
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

King parrot for me. We have them up here in the mountains - beautiful plumage, lovely nature, always travel in mated pairs.

Although just the other day a pair came and visited us very closely. The male watched from the gutter, while the female flew in our faces. Just once, then flew away. We took it as a warning to not come near their nest. I can't wait to spot their chicks!

...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 28th September 2021 at 10:57 PM.
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2021, 11:03 PM   #3091
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

We have king parrots, as well as eastern and crimson rosellas. They're on my list for later votes. Today I voted for the wedgie.
Old 28th September 2021, 11:45 PM   #3092
Kid Eager
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
King parrot for me. We have them up here in the mountains - beautiful plumage, lovely nature, always travel in mated pairs.

Although just the other day a pair came and visited us very closely. The male watched from the gutter, while the female flew in our faces. Just once, then flew away. We took it as a warning to not come near their nest. I can't wait to spot their chicks!

Yes agree with King Parrot (except when they're eating my tomatoes)- also in the backyard are the usual rosellas, lorikeets, magpies and Kookaburras.
Old 29th September 2021, 12:53 AM   #3093
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Right after the 2019-20 bushfires, my son and I went to the town of Mogo to see how they were doing and to spend a little money. At one point, off in the burned-out bush, a kookaburra sounded off. It was one of the most beautiful and poignant sounds I'd ever heard.
Old 1st October 2021, 08:12 PM   #3094
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Little penguins are getting my votes.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2021, 02:02 AM   #3095
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Cockies in the Sydney area have recently learned how to open wheelie bins by copying each other.

The first one to come up with it should have patented it. It wouldn't have had to open a single wheelie bin for the rest of its life!
Imagine what will happen if the wheelie-bin-opening cockatoos begin to copy black kites!
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2021, 06:29 PM   #3096
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Originally Posted by dann View Post
The first one to come up with it should have patented it. It wouldn't have had to open a single wheelie bin for the rest of its life!
Imagine what will happen if the wheelie-bin-opening cockatoos begin to copy black kites!
Firestarting birds? I thought we didn't do Halloween here.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2021, 06:49 PM   #3097
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Has been quite a controversy topic on these forum.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2021, 09:20 PM   #3098
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
Has been quite a controversy topic on these forum.
It generated one of the nastiest threads I’ve seen, considering it was an interesting but relatively unimportant topic. The vile thrown across that thread was a sight to behold.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2021, 10:22 PM   #3099
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
It generated one of the nastiest threads I’ve seen, considering it was an interesting but relatively unimportant topic. The vile thrown across that thread was a sight to behold.
Agree. Was complete unnecessarily.
Old 6th October 2021, 12:22 AM   #3100
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Either I missed it, or I got out while the getting was good.
Old 6th October 2021, 03:11 PM   #3101
Carlotta
Muse

Worse than Cobb salad?
Carlotta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2021, 04:52 PM   #3102
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
Worse than Cobb salad?
Probably not. I think that thread resulted in mass suspensions if not bans.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 6th October 2021, 05:37 PM   #3103
Orphia Nay
Tagger

I vaguely remember Cobb salad. Was that about Remie V?
Old 6th October 2021, 06:25 PM   #3104
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Cobb salad was very nearly before my time.
Old 7th October 2021, 07:29 PM   #3105
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

The Superb fairywren is the Bird of the Year for 2021!

Not one I voted for at any point, but a beautiful bird nonetheless, and well-deserving of this recognition.

Last edited by arthwollipot; 7th October 2021 at 07:31 PM.
arthwollipot is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2021, 07:57 PM   #3106
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Not one I voted for at any point, but a beautiful bird nonetheless, and well-deserving of this recognition.

Yay! No, I didn't vote for it at any stage but I'm happy it won.
Old 8th October 2021, 12:01 PM   #3107
Prometheus
Acolyte of Víđarr

That's one of the one's I'm not familiar with. How do they taste?
Prometheus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2021, 08:39 AM   #3108
sackett
Philosopher

Now have a vote for Oz's most lovable snake.

Excuse me, I have to keel over in a faint.

sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2021, 08:53 AM   #3109
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by sackett View Post
Now have a vote for Oz's most lovable snake.

Excuse me, I have to keel over in a faint.

Wait, it’s Australia. Shouldn’t that be “least murderous” snake?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 9th October 2021, 12:09 PM   #3110
sackett
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
Wait, it’s Australia. Shouldn’t that be “least murderous” snake?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alas, you don't understand Australians.

Old 9th October 2021, 01:59 PM   #3111
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

That's one of the one's I'm not familiar with. How do they taste?
With their tongues??
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2021, 09:32 AM   #3112
Rincewind
Philosopher

Doesn't look dangerous - so, how can it kill you?
Old 12th October 2021, 10:46 AM   #3113
Prometheus
Acolyte of Víđarr

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
With their tongues??
Sure. Although the Romans thought flamingo tongue a delicacy, I'd prefer to eat the whole bird.
Old 12th October 2021, 01:14 PM   #3114
Kid Eager
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
Doesn't look dangerous - so, how can it kill you?
It dives at high subsonic speed, piercing its target then pecking its way out, usually through the chest cavity, before chirping loudly and beginning its next ascent to 7000 metres in preparation for its next attack.

If you're lucky enough to have an unexpurgated version of the Australian Book of Birds, there's more information there.

Most editions were confiscated in the late 40's to make Asutralia seem less dangerous to the post-war immigrants but through an administrative oversight they left the Cassowary in the subsequent abridged version.

(ETA for typos)

Last edited by Kid Eager; 12th October 2021 at 02:18 PM.
Kid Eager is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2021, 04:39 PM   #3115
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Sure. Although the Romans thought flamingo tongue a delicacy, I'd prefer to eat the whole bird.

Crunchy.
Old 12th October 2021, 06:00 PM   #3116
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Kid Eager View Post
It dives at high subsonic speed, piercing its target then pecking its way out, usually through the chest cavity, before chirping loudly and beginning its next ascent to 7000 metres in preparation for its next attack.

If you're lucky enough to have an unexpurgated version of the Australian Book of Birds, there's more information there.

Most editions were confiscated in the late 40's to make Asutralia seem less dangerous to the post-war immigrants but through an administrative oversight they left the Cassowary in the subsequent abridged version.

(ETA for typos)
You added some??
Old 18th November 2021, 08:29 PM   #3117
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

People! Don't eat wild mushrooms unless you know exactly what you are doing! Especially if you're in Canberra.

Three people in hospital after eating wild mushrooms, suspected to be death caps

Quote:
Three people have presented to emergency departments in the ACT this week after eating wild mushrooms.

ACT Health authorities said they had not been able to confirm whether the trio had ingested death cap mushrooms — with investigations still underway.

Health Minister Rachel Stephen-Smith said the deadly fungus had been spotted in parts of the Canberra region in recent weeks, including Yass and Goulburn.

"While this is not the normal time of year for death cap mushroom growth in the ACT, it is a timely reminder to people not to pick and eat wild mushrooms," she said.

"[It is] a reminder that death cap mushrooms can grow anywhere at any time."
Old 9th December 2021, 06:40 PM   #3118
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

‘Really sad moment’: bogong moth among 124 Australian additions to endangered species list

Quote:
Ecologists say numbers declined by about 99.5% three years ago, likely due to drought, pesticides and light pollution

They were once so common, swarms of Australian bogong moths almost seemed to “block out the moon” at certain times of the year.

Now, the bogong has been listed as endangered on the global red list of threatened species after crashes in its population in recent years.

The list, compiled by the International Union for the Conservation of Nature, was updated overnight with 124 new entries for Australian wildlife.

The addition of the bogong moth, famously seen in swarms at Parliament House in Canberra during its annual migration to the Australian alps, should be a wake-up call about declines in Australia’s invertebrates, the scientist Marissa Parrott said.
Old 19th December 2021, 06:50 PM   #3119
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

There's a Facebook group called Describing Things In Canberra. This was one of their first posts:

Quote:
What is the Point of Canberra?

Canberra, as some of you might know, is called the Bush Capital. There are two schools of thought on this. One is that Canberra was intended to represent the interests of all the Australians who don't live in urban centres. (At the time of establishment, that meant Sydney and Melbourne. You could tell they were urban centres because Sydney had incredibly poor hygiene and Melbourne had reaped the profits of a mining boom in order to build grandiose buildings of state.) The other school of thought is that Canberra would be designed to look like it was in the bush.

This second school of thought has been much more fully realised than the first. You can stand on one of our hills (or, as we like to say, 'mountains'), look about yourself, and see only other hills and trees, and one or two distant buildings

Newcomers to Canberra have been known to drive around the wide and well-paved streets, weeping and exclaiming, but where are the shops and where do all the people live? Some outsiders believe that Canberrans dwell in the gumtrees lining our roads, but it is not true. We live in overpriced brick veneers, like all other Australians. If we did live in gumtrees, we might represent the interests of the bush rather more keenly, but there it is, clearly a massive planning failure on the part of our forebears.

Canberra is actually the political capital of Australia. It is not the financial capital (Sydney), the style capital (Melbourne), the our-wine-is-better-than-your-wine capital (Adelaide), the our-produce-is-better-than-your-produce capital (Hobart), the ex-mining-boom capital (Perth, but also Melbourne if you go back far enough), the we-knocked-down-your-old-stuff-to-build-your-new-stuff capital (Brisbane) or the capital-of-whatever-it-is-they-do-in-Darwin capital (Darwin, but potentially other places that we are not presently asking difficult questions about).

The national parliament sits here. They have a large building on top of a hill (not a mountain), which appears to be a cross between a well-ordered airport, a particularly nice four-star hotel and a massive corporate catering business.

Everyone is welcome to visit parliament and sit in the parliamentary chambers to see democracy at work. If the chamber is full, Australians and overseas visitors can wait in a queue in order to participate in democracy. Australians put a very high premium on waiting in queues to participate in democracy.

Canberra also has the public service who impartially support the government of the day. Recently, some public servants and parliamentarians have become confused between the meaning of the word 'impartially' and the word 'uncritically' but that's ok. Someone will probably find a dictionary soon, because Canberra has some outstanding bookshops and also this thing called the Internet.

Canberra is also the capital of a territory called the Australian Capital Territory. This territory has one large settlement in it, which is called Canberra. The legislative assembly of Canberra is responsible for all the useful things a national government is too busy to do, such as hospitals, education, roads and rubbish collection.

So there you have it. The point of Canberra is to be capital!

And it is.

Last edited by arthwollipot; 19th December 2021 at 07:13 PM.
Old 19th December 2021, 07:42 PM   #3120
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Haha, on point.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts