ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 25th May 2020, 08:13 PM   #1
chrispy
Muse
 
chrispy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Solola, Guatemala
Posts: 998
Ummm..,.. Birdwatching while Black?

Yeah, so. Profssional Black man and his professional sister (needed to say 'not thugs for the racists) ask a White woman in CP to put her dog on a leash. She calls 911 and FAKES being threatened. "An African American man is threatining me and my dog!" while fake cryng. This is how innocent people get killed.

Also strangling dog instead of using leash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rrP9Hzlc6U
__________________
Just a spec in the Spectrum...

Last edited by chrispy; 25th May 2020 at 08:14 PM. Reason: ETA: Please fix title typo!
chrispy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2020, 08:32 PM   #2
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery
 
lionking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 46,423
Professional white woman too:

“Amy Cooper, the VP of Investment Solutions at Franklin Templeton”

Still, it would have been nice to see the lead up to this. I have no doubt that a request was made for Amy to put her dog on a leash, but there are threatening ways to make requests, like “put your mutt on a leash bitch or I’ll kick your ass”.
__________________
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2020, 08:39 PM   #3
Cavemonster
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,990
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Professional white woman too:

“Amy Cooper, the VP of Investment Solutions at Franklin Templeton”

Still, it would have been nice to see the lead up to this. I have no doubt that a request was made for Amy to put her dog on a leash, but there are threatening ways to make requests, like “put your mutt on a leash bitch or I’ll kick your ass”.
It's not impossible, but given what we do see it seems vanishingly unlikely. If he had threatened her, it's very odd that he would be the one filming and adamantly trying to keep distant while she lunges at him. She certainly seems legitimately panicked and there must be more going on (at least in her head) than we can see. But if he was a threat to her, neither of their behaviors in the video make much sense.
__________________
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2020, 08:47 PM   #4
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: East Coast USA
Posts: 12,004
Originally Posted by Cavemonster View Post
It's not impossible, but given what we do see it seems vanishingly unlikely. If he had threatened her, it's very odd that he would be the one filming and adamantly trying to keep distant while she lunges at him. She certainly seems legitimately panicked and there must be more going on (at least in her head) than we can see. But if he was a threat to her, neither of their behaviors in the video make much sense.
I'd call it more like a coin flip. Probably more likely that she was overreacting to another anxiety or imagined one. Maybe general freaking out and taking it out on this guy.

If the man was filming, no matter what transpired previously, he has made a decision to gather evidence and will be on perfect behavior during recording. He turned the evidence catcher on, he knows what's up.

It would be pretty cunning to menace her, then go calm for the camera though, so I'm leaning hard towards the threat was all in her head.
__________________
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2020, 09:03 PM   #5
chrispy
Muse
 
chrispy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Solola, Guatemala
Posts: 998
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
I'd call it more like a coin flip. Probably more likely that she was overreacting to another anxiety or imagined one. Maybe general freaking out and taking it out on this guy.

If the man was filming, no matter what transpired previously, he has made a decision to gather evidence and will be on perfect behavior during recording. He turned the evidence catcher on, he knows what's up.

It would be pretty cunning to menace her, then go calm for the camera though, so I'm leaning hard towards the threat was all in her head.
Coin flip? He seemed way cool while this was happening. Seems like she had her trigger pulled for no real reason. That and the hysterics are ridiculous.

ETA: Missed that. Sorry. Mea culpa
__________________
Just a spec in the Spectrum...

Last edited by chrispy; 25th May 2020 at 09:05 PM. Reason: ETA: Missed that. Sorry. Mea culpa
chrispy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2020, 09:10 PM   #6
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: East Coast USA
Posts: 12,004
Originally Posted by chrispy View Post
Coin flip? He seemed way cool while this was happening. Seems like she had her trigger pulled for no real reason. That and the hysterics are ridiculous.
Wasn't clear-I meant prob more than a coin flip that it was in her head, but not vanishingly unlikely that they had words previously.

Also, if this is a recent video...no real reason to be on hairtrigger and a little nuts? I watch The Shining as a documentary now. Ya never know a person's whole story, either. It does seem like an unhinged reaction, though. By the same token, hard to picture her maintaining a professional demeanor as a VP if she can't keep it together while dog walking.

On the whole, she seems to be the problem. But is it an overreaction to the run up, or straight up racism? Dunno.
__________________
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2020, 09:16 PM   #7
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator
 
sir drinks-a-lot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Cole Valley, CA
Posts: 4,513
Oh FSM.
__________________
I don't like that man. I must get to know him better. --Abraham Lincoln
sir drinks-a-lot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2020, 09:17 PM   #8
chrispy
Muse
 
chrispy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Solola, Guatemala
Posts: 998
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Wasn't clear-I meant prob more than a coin flip that it was in her head, but not vanishingly unlikely that they had words previously.

Also, if this is a recent video...no real reason to be on hairtrigger and a little nuts? I watch The Shining as a documentary now. Ya never know a person's whole story, either. It does seem like an unhinged reaction, though. By the same token, hard to picture her maintaining a professional demeanor as a VP if she can't keep it together while dog walking.

On the whole, she seems to be the problem. But is it an overreaction to the run up, or straight up racism? Dunno.
Yes, but... Whatever the run up is, when she starts to invoke his race as if to get the police there faster is when it gets racial, if not racist.
__________________
Just a spec in the Spectrum...
chrispy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2020, 12:45 AM   #9
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing
 
PhantomWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 19,853
She's now on administrative leave and the dog, Henry, is back with the Rescue shelter while the situation is investigated by the relevant parties.
__________________

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2020, 12:52 AM   #10
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 25,904
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Still, it would have been nice to see the lead up to this. I have no doubt that a request was made for Amy to put her dog on a leash, but there are threatening ways to make requests, like “put your mutt on a leash bitch or I’ll kick your ass”.
That is certainly true. But, until she starts talking to 911 (or whomever), her posture and behavior doesn't seem consistent with someone who feels threatened.

The smugness with which she announces that she's going to tell the police that "an African American male is threatening my life" is chilling.
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2020, 01:06 AM   #11
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped
 
Sideroxylon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Aporia
Posts: 23,884
Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
She's now on administrative leave and the dog, Henry, is back with the Rescue shelter while the situation is investigated by the relevant parties.
Strangling the dog wasn’t a good look.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2020, 02:26 AM   #12
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 7,624
It would be interesting to hear her version of the encounter, not that I think it would justify her I hasten to add, but I'd be interested to know what she thought justified her reaction.

I hope the dog ends up with someone who'll treat it properly.
__________________
"I know my brain cannot tell me what to think." - Scorpion

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2020, 02:36 AM   #13
Matthew Best
Philosopher
 
Matthew Best's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Leicester Square, London
Posts: 7,825
Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
It would be interesting to hear her version of the encounter, not that I think it would justify her I hasten to add, but I'd be interested to know what she thought justified her reaction.

I hope the dog ends up with someone who'll treat it properly.
All I could find was this:

Speaking exclusively to NBC New York, Amy says she overreacted but she claimed that Christian was screaming, and that she felt threatened because she didn't know what was in the dog treats.

"I sincerely and humbly apologize to everyone, especially to that man, his family," she said in a phone call. "It was unacceptable and I humbly and fully apologize to everyone who’s seen that video, everyone that’s been offended…everyone who thinks of me in a lower light and I understand why they do."

"When I think about the police, I’m such a blessed person. I’ve come to realize especially today that I think of [the police] as a protection agency, and unfortunately, this has caused me to realize that there are so many people in this country that don’t have that luxury," she continued.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2020, 02:43 AM   #14
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery
 
lionking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 46,423
Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
All I could find was this:

Speaking exclusively to NBC New York, Amy says she overreacted but she claimed that Christian was screaming, and that she felt threatened because she didn't know what was in the dog treats.

"I sincerely and humbly apologize to everyone, especially to that man, his family," she said in a phone call. "It was unacceptable and I humbly and fully apologize to everyone who’s seen that video, everyone that’s been offended…everyone who thinks of me in a lower light and I understand why they do."

"When I think about the police, I’m such a blessed person. I’ve come to realize especially today that I think of [the police] as a protection agency, and unfortunately, this has caused me to realize that there are so many people in this country that don’t have that luxury," she continued.
She should sack the spin doctor who came up with that. Dog treats?
__________________
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2020, 03:46 AM   #15
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles
 
Dave Rogers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cair Paravel, according to XKCD
Posts: 31,291
Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
Oh FSM.
Yes, I agree there's not a trace of racism to be seen here. She barely even mentioned the race of the man to the police several times, she clearly felt threatened by him standing completely still and not moving, and his request to her to go ahead and call the police is tantamount to resisting arrest.

Seriously, anyone who doesn't see at least a bit of racism here is trying incredible hard not to.

Dave
__________________
Inspiring discussion of Sharknado is not a good sign for the audience expectations of your new high-concept SF movie sequel.

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2020, 04:09 AM   #16
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 15,389
Spinpology not accepted. That racist bitch needs to be fired from her well paid, white privilege job.

Seriously, if I was black and living in the USA right now, I would be wearing a body-cam whenever I go out of the house.
__________________
"Woke" is a pejorative term used by racists, homophobes and misogynists to describe people who possess a fully functional moral compass.

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !

Last edited by smartcooky; 26th May 2020 at 04:10 AM.
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2020, 04:17 AM   #17
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher
 
SuburbanTurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 6,327
CNN story paints this as the lady freaking out in response to being told to keep her dog on leash, which is a requirement of the park.

The man is an avid bird watcher and was concerned about the destruction unleashed dogs have on the habitat of the popular bird-watching location.

Based on the wording of the story, the man has had multiple run-ins with unleashed dogs in the past and even carried dog treats for the eventual encounters. The video ends when the raving woman finally leashes her dog, which seems to satisfy the man filming.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/26/us/ce...rnd/index.html

I don't know how you watch this video and not come away with the strong suspicion that the woman was trying to threaten, and enact, a police overreaction. The NYPD has a reputation for brutality, especially against the non-white population.

Truly ghoulish behavior. the blowback she is experiencing right now does not seem disproportionate to the cavalier way she attempted to use the NYPD, and the nearly explicit threat of the police using excessive force, to intimidate this guy doing nothing wrong.
__________________
Gobble gobble

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 26th May 2020 at 04:19 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2020, 04:24 AM   #18
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles
 
Dave Rogers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cair Paravel, according to XKCD
Posts: 31,291
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
I don't know how you watch this video and not come away with the strong suspicion that the woman was trying to threaten, and enact, a police overreaction. The NYPD has a reputation for brutality, especially against the non-white population.
Exactly. With the obvious subtext that (a) the NYPD will automatically assume the threat is more serious if they're told that the man threatening her is African-American than if they're simply told that she's being threatened, and (b) that he should take this as a warning because if he doesn't back down and accept that he has no right to challenge her behavior then the police will put him in his rightful place.

All those who think otherwise, please suggest a credible alternative, non-racist reason why she initially uses the words "African-American" in her threat to call the police, and in the actual call. I'll hear you out.

Dave
__________________
Inspiring discussion of Sharknado is not a good sign for the audience expectations of your new high-concept SF movie sequel.

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2020, 04:33 AM   #19
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery
 
lionking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 46,423
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
CNN story paints this as the lady freaking out in response to being told to keep her dog on leash, which is a requirement of the park.

The man is an avid bird watcher and was concerned about the destruction unleashed dogs have on the habitat of the popular bird-watching location.

Based on the wording of the story, the man has had multiple run-ins with unleashed dogs in the past and even carried dog treats for the eventual encounters. The video ends when the raving woman finally leashes her dog, which seems to satisfy the man filming.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/26/us/ce...rnd/index.html

I don't know how you watch this video and not come away with the strong suspicion that the woman was trying to threaten, and enact, a police overreaction. The NYPD has a reputation for brutality, especially against the non-white population.

Truly ghoulish behavior. the blowback she is experiencing right now does not seem disproportionate to the cavalier way she attempted to use the NYPD, and the nearly explicit threat of the police using excessive force, to intimidate this guy doing nothing wrong.
This does add a new element. If someone I didn't know gave my dog a treat, particularly if he was acting in an antagonistic manner, I would react in an angry manner, and I would see it as a possible attack. People do try to bait dogs which annoy them, and this thought would have gone through my mind.
__________________
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2020, 04:37 AM   #20
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher
 
SuburbanTurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 6,327
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
This does add a new element. If someone I didn't know gave my dog a treat, particularly if he was acting in an antagonistic manner, I would react in an angry manner, and I would see it as a possible attack. People do try to bait dogs which annoy them, and this thought would have gone through my mind.
Can't happen if you keep the dog leashed. The article mentions that this is explicitly the man's goal. Dog owners don't like when a stranger feeds their dogs and often react by leashing them. Seems clever to me. Reading between the lines, this man (and other birders) are no strangers to tense confrontations with irresponsible dog owners who disobey the leash rule.

I could totally see this move making the woman uncomfortable. it's the goal of him doing it. It's not a threat. Her call to the police was still a pretty open attempt to sic a over-heated, racist police force on a black man that pissed her off.

I often hike local trails and also often encounter unleashed dogs despite clear rules. I've witnessed dogs destroying off-trail areas, chasing wildlife, and fighting with other dogs who are often leashed and can't defend themselves properly. There are good reasons for these rules. Scofflaw dog owners are a common occurrence in public parks and trails.
__________________
Gobble gobble

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 26th May 2020 at 04:45 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2020, 04:38 AM   #21
chrispy
Muse
 
chrispy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Solola, Guatemala
Posts: 998
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
CNN story paints this as the lady freaking out in response to being told to keep her dog on leash, which is a requirement of the park.

The man is an avid bird watcher and was concerned about the destruction unleashed dogs have on the habitat of the popular bird-watching location.

Based on the wording of the story, the man has had multiple run-ins with unleashed dogs in the past and even carried dog treats for the eventual encounters. The video ends when the raving woman finally leashes her dog, which seems to satisfy the man filming.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/26/us/ce...rnd/index.html

I don't know how you watch this video and not come away with the strong suspicion that the woman was trying to threaten, and enact, a police overreaction. The NYPD has a reputation for brutality, especially against the non-white population.

Truly ghoulish behavior. the blowback she is experiencing right now does not seem disproportionate to the cavalier way she attempted to use the NYPD, and the nearly explicit threat of the police using excessive force, to intimidate this guy doing nothing wrong.
Yes. Again, the way she started to almost cry on the phone to show how much the completely calm man was threatening her was terrifying. That is jow people get killed. She deserves what she gets in terms of public humiliation.
__________________
Just a spec in the Spectrum...
chrispy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2020, 04:41 AM   #22
dann
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 12,441
When did people start calling this kind of person a Karen? And why that particular name?
__________________
/dann
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2020, 04:48 AM   #23
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher
 
SuburbanTurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 6,327
Originally Posted by dann View Post
When did people start calling this kind of person a Karen? And why that particular name?
I think the name "Karen" is somewhat more recent, but the meme of "I want to speak to your manager" type middle-aged, aggressive white women is well established. Frivolous 911 calls are seen as the ultimate "speak to your manager" move. The sub-reddit seems to have lead the standardization of calling these women Karens. It's unclear why that particular name seems to have stuck and the origins seem a bit murky, which is strange for such a prolific meme.

It even has a wikipedia page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karen_(slang)
__________________
Gobble gobble

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 26th May 2020 at 04:50 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2020, 05:27 AM   #24
dann
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 12,441
Thanks. I recognize the type of person, but we probably have fewer around here, so she hasn't really been labelled yet. And they are probably not as radical here. 'Talk to your manager', yes, but calling the police like this? I've never seen anything like it in Denmark, not even on YouTube.
__________________
/dann
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2020, 05:30 AM   #25
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery
 
lionking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 46,423
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Can't happen if you keep the dog leashed. The article mentions that this is explicitly the man's goal. Dog owners don't like when a stranger feeds their dogs and often react by leashing them. Seems clever to me. Reading between the lines, this man (and other birders) are no strangers to tense confrontations with irresponsible dog owners who disobey the leash rule.

I could totally see this move making the woman uncomfortable. it's the goal of him doing it. It's not a threat. Her call to the police was still a pretty open attempt to sic a over-heated, racist police force on a black man that pissed her off.

I often hike local trails and also often encounter unleashed dogs despite clear rules. I've witnessed dogs destroying off-trail areas, chasing wildlife, and fighting with other dogs who are often leashed and can't defend themselves properly. There are good reasons for these rules. Scofflaw dog owners are a common occurrence in public parks and trails.
When I looked CP rules up I found that you can have dogs off leash in large parts of the park at certain times. I guess that this is an area you can’t do that, but I haven’t seen evidence of that.

If it was indeed a part of the park where a dog had to be leashed, the woman had no justification at all. If, however it wasn’t and a bird watcher decided he didn’t like an unleashed dog and give it a treat to, I don’t know, freak out the owner, then the woman could rightly have taken umbrage.
__________________
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2020, 05:32 AM   #26
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher
 
SuburbanTurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 6,327
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
When I looked CP rules up I found that you can have dogs off leash in large parts of the park at certain times. I guess that this is an area you can’t do that, but I haven’t seen evidence of that.

If it was indeed a part of the park where a dog had to be leashed, the woman had no justification at all. If, however it wasn’t and a bird watcher decided he didn’t like an unleashed dog and give it a treat to, I don’t know, freak out the owner, then the woman could rightly have taken umbrage.
Dogs are required on leash at all times in The Ramble, the section of the park this takes place.

There are a lot of options to confront someone for feeding your dog that come short of calling in the goon squad with a false police report. Nobody would care if this lady gave the man the finger and called him an *******.
__________________
Gobble gobble

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 26th May 2020 at 05:34 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2020, 05:41 AM   #27
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing
 
Craig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA Home to the Deep State.
Posts: 21,399
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
I think the name "Karen" is somewhat more recent, but the meme of "I want to speak to your manager" type middle-aged, aggressive white women is well established. Frivolous 911 calls are seen as the ultimate "speak to your manager" move. The sub-reddit seems to have lead the standardization of calling these women Karens. It's unclear why that particular name seems to have stuck and the origins seem a bit murky, which is strange for such a prolific meme.

It even has a wikipedia page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karen_(slang)
Seems a bit unfair to all the perfectly agreeable, pleasant people in the world named Karen.
__________________
A MAGA hat = a Swastika arm band. A vote for Trump is a vote for treason.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2020, 05:42 AM   #28
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing
 
Meadmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 23,028
I was all set to get on board with the narrative, then I got to this line in the CNN story:

Quote:
The two went back-and-forth about the dog leash. Christian Cooper, according to his Facebook post, then told the Amy Cooper: "Look, if you're going to do what you want, I'm going to do what I want, but you're not going to like it."
That's a threat.

At that point, he started giving her dog a dog treat. He knows, from experience, that dog owners hate it when a stranger gives food to their dogs. Well, yes. They would. Parents also don't like it when strangers give their kids candy. Go figure.

His whole schtick with the dog treats is to make people feel nervous, apprehensive, threatened. That's why he does it. It worked. She is obviously in the midst of a panic attack.

Oh, by the way, she's at least a little bit racist. She is more scared of unknown black men than she would be of unknown white men. And she's privileged. She doesn't feel like following the rules. She doesn't see any harm in her dog running around off a leash, even though there are rules against it.

Should she have called the cops? She's in a secluded area of a park, out of public view, when an unknown male says, "I'm going to do what I want, but you're not going to like it." and starts feeding her dog. Her mistake was saying "African American". That revealed that her anxiety was at least partially elevated because the man was black.

Is she racist? Yes. Is the entire country racist? Yes. Is darned near everyone in this country racist, including darned near every American reading this thread and responding to it? Yes. If "racist" means that you react differently to white people than black people in some circumstances, then darned near everyone in this country is racist.

She should have had her dog on a leash, and she definitely should have leashed it as soon as she was told to. She was in the wrong at the start. However, she was right to feel threatened. That's what Christian Cooper wanted her to feel. That's why he does it. He gives food to other people's dogs specifically to create anxiety and fear that he might be giving them harmful food or that he might have harmful intentions to them and their dog, but in this case, he made doubly sure, by saying "You're not going to like it".

I can't feel sorry for either party, although I can have a grudging sort of respect for bird-watcher. The dog treat thing is clever, and the people who get freaked out when he gives their dogs treats deserve it. The problem with this sort of tactic, though, is that sooner or later, someone freaks out a little bit too much. This time, when someone freaked out a little bit too much, she did something that actually was harmful to her, but several people have pointed out how this could have ended badly for him, as well as her.

Last edited by Meadmaker; 26th May 2020 at 05:44 AM.
Meadmaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2020, 05:46 AM   #29
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector
 
ponderingturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 49,664
Originally Posted by dann View Post
Thanks. I recognize the type of person, but we probably have fewer around here, so she hasn't really been labelled yet. And they are probably not as radical here. 'Talk to your manager', yes, but calling the police like this? I've never seen anything like it in Denmark, not even on YouTube.
So what happens when someone sees black people being in a public space feels threatened by them being black and calls the police? What is the term for someone who does that?

I mean as a white person this doesn't happen to me either in the US
__________________
Sufficiently advanced Woo is indistinguishable from Parody
"There shall be no *poofing* in science" Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Force ***** on reasons back" Ben Franklin
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2020, 05:50 AM   #30
Ron Obvious
Thinker
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 209
Originally Posted by dann View Post
I've never seen anything like it in Denmark, not even on YouTube.
I've never seen anything remotely like it in the US either, but this is a huge country so more cases like this are there to be found.

Just don't mistake it for a commonplace incident.
Ron Obvious is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2020, 05:51 AM   #31
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery
 
lionking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 46,423
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Dogs are required on leash at all times in The Ramble, the section of the park this takes place.

There are a lot of options to confront someone for feeding your dog that come short of calling in the goon squad with a false police report. Nobody would care if this lady gave the man the finger and called him an *******.
Look, I don’t care that much about this. Nobody died after all.

Assuming it is a part of the park a dog needs to be leashed (do you know for certain this is The Ramble, or are you only accepting the man’s word?) the woman behaved in a stupid manner and calling the police is appalling.

However I have seen countless “birdwatching” types behave in insufferably entitled ways, thinking they have ownership of a trail and resenting others infringing on their divine rights. And yes, insufferably entitled dog owners too.

In my view, giving a dog a “treat” of unknown origin is needlessly antagonistic.
__________________
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2020, 05:53 AM   #32
3point14
Pi
 
3point14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 20,120
Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
Her mistake was saying "African American". That revealed that her anxiety was at least partially elevated because the man was black.

But that's the reporting form she's used to.

On the news there are two types of males that get reported on in relation to criminal activity. The two groups are 'Men' and 'Black men'. All the reporting she's ever heard makes this distinction. In something that scares the **** out of me, the media and statisticians gatther information and report on 'What people think' and then, seperately, 'what the black people think'.

The world she lives in has absolutely taught her that 'men' and 'black men' are two different groups, so she reports accordingly.


I'm not trying to cut her any slack but I don't think her use of 'African American man' is indicitive of her racism in particular, it just reveals that she's living in a racist society.
__________________
Up the River!

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2020, 05:57 AM   #33
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher
 
SuburbanTurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 6,327
Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
I was all set to get on board with the narrative, then I got to this line in the CNN story:



That's a threat.

At that point, he started giving her dog a dog treat. He knows, from experience, that dog owners hate it when a stranger gives food to their dogs. Well, yes. They would. Parents also don't like it when strangers give their kids candy. Go figure.

His whole schtick with the dog treats is to make people feel nervous, apprehensive, threatened. That's why he does it. It worked. She is obviously in the midst of a panic attack.

Oh, by the way, she's at least a little bit racist. She is more scared of unknown black men than she would be of unknown white men. And she's privileged. She doesn't feel like following the rules. She doesn't see any harm in her dog running around off a leash, even though there are rules against it.

Should she have called the cops? She's in a secluded area of a park, out of public view, when an unknown male says, "I'm going to do what I want, but you're not going to like it." and starts feeding her dog. Her mistake was saying "African American". That revealed that her anxiety was at least partially elevated because the man was black.

Is she racist? Yes. Is the entire country racist? Yes. Is darned near everyone in this country racist, including darned near every American reading this thread and responding to it? Yes. If "racist" means that you react differently to white people than black people in some circumstances, then darned near everyone in this country is racist.

She should have had her dog on a leash, and she definitely should have leashed it as soon as she was told to. She was in the wrong at the start. However, she was right to feel threatened. That's what Christian Cooper wanted her to feel. That's why he does it. He gives food to other people's dogs specifically to create anxiety and fear that he might be giving them harmful food or that he might have harmful intentions to them and their dog, but in this case, he made doubly sure, by saying "You're not going to like it".

I can't feel sorry for either party, although I can have a grudging sort of respect for bird-watcher. The dog treat thing is clever, and the people who get freaked out when he gives their dogs treats deserve it. The problem with this sort of tactic, though, is that sooner or later, someone freaks out a little bit too much. This time, when someone freaked out a little bit too much, she did something that actually was harmful to her, but several people have pointed out how this could have ended badly for him, as well as her.
I'm sure she felt antagonized in the moment. Such is life, conflict is bound to happen. How she reacted is abhorrent.

A moment of crisis that revealed her character. A racist that is too cowardly to do her own dirty work. A person who would wield a racist police force as a weapon against someone that she feels has wronged her.

Calling the cops to report a weirdo feeding dogs without permission would have been perfectly acceptable, though I doubt she'd like to explain why she didn't have control of her pet. If she had walked up to him and slapped him, that would be an overreaction, but perhaps somewhat understandable as a heat of the moment error. Calling in the jackboots to settle the score and possibly brutalize the man is a an obscene response.
__________________
Gobble gobble

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 26th May 2020 at 06:05 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2020, 05:59 AM   #34
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised
 
shemp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: People's Democratic Republic of Planet X
Posts: 37,854
Giving someone's dog treats without their permission is extremely stupid and possibly, depending on where you are, criminal. A dog could be on a special diet for medical reasons.

If I had a child who couldn't tolerate sugar and you gave my child candy, I'd call the police and seek to have you arrested for assault and child endangerment.

I think she was within her rights to call police, she had some reason to believe that he was endangering her dog, it was possible the treats could have contained something that could harm the dog. She was not within her rights to behave in a racist manner. And he has no right to give someone else's dog a treat without permission. He should have called park police and asked them to deal with her.
__________________
If being a twat was a TV show, Trump would be the boxed set.
"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump shemp attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
"[shemp is] a most notable coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality." - Shakespeare

Last edited by shemp; 26th May 2020 at 06:05 AM.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2020, 06:02 AM   #35
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher
 
SuburbanTurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 6,327
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Look, I don’t care that much about this. Nobody died after all.

Assuming it is a part of the park a dog needs to be leashed (do you know for certain this is The Ramble, or are you only accepting the man’s word?) the woman behaved in a stupid manner and calling the police is appalling.

However I have seen countless “birdwatching” types behave in insufferably entitled ways, thinking they have ownership of a trail and resenting others infringing on their divine rights. And yes, insufferably entitled dog owners too.

In my view, giving a dog a “treat” of unknown origin is needlessly antagonistic.
The lady says she is in the Ramble during her 911 call.

The guy feeding unleashed dogs is antagonistic. This isn't a tactic I would advocate as it seems likely to cause needlessly hostile confrontations.

Such confrontations are common in shared public places, especially when you have people who feel privileged to use it any way they see fit, the rules be damned.

The fact that two park goers had a tiff over how to use the park is not scandalous. Squabbling over public spaces is common. The fact that this lady's response is to make a thinly veiled threat to call in the racist goons to brutalize him is the scandal. I don't know how you interpret her framing of the 911 threat, which she carried out, as an attempt to wield the racist NYPD as a cudgel against her enemy.
__________________
Gobble gobble
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2020, 06:04 AM   #36
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery
 
lionking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 46,423
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
I'm sure she felt antagonized in the moment. Such is life, conflict is bound to happen. How she reacted is abhorrent.

A moment of crisis that revealed her character. A racist that is too cowardly to do her own dirty work. A person who would wield a racist police force as a weapon against someone that she feels has wronged her.

If she had walked up to him and slapped him, that would be an overreaction, but perhaps somewhat explainable. Calling in the jackboots to settle the score and possibly brutalize the man is a an obscene response.
Gee, I must have missed the part where Amy is a MMA fighter...

Do you seriously think it a good idea for a woman anywhere in the world, regardless of race, to slap a man you concede is antagonistic?

Look, she made bad decisions, but calling her cowardly for not attacking the man (what else does “her own dirty work” mean?) is a shameful position to hold.
__________________
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2020, 06:05 AM   #37
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing
 
Meadmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 23,028
Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
But that's the reporting form she's used to.

On the news there are two types of males that get reported on in relation to criminal activity. The two groups are 'Men' and 'Black men'. All the reporting she's ever heard makes this distinction. In something that scares the **** out of me, the media and statisticians gatther information and report on 'What people think' and then, seperately, 'what the black people think'.

The world she lives in has absolutely taught her that 'men' and 'black men' are two different groups, so she reports accordingly.


I'm not trying to cut her any slack but I don't think her use of 'African American man' is indicitive of her racism in particular, it just reveals that she's living in a racist society.
Agreed.
Meadmaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2020, 06:05 AM   #38
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector
 
ponderingturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 49,664
He should have gone with police solutions and just shot the dog. That is how you are supposed to handle this kind of situation.
__________________
Sufficiently advanced Woo is indistinguishable from Parody
"There shall be no *poofing* in science" Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Force ***** on reasons back" Ben Franklin
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2020, 06:06 AM   #39
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher
 
SuburbanTurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 6,327
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Gee, I must have missed the part where Amy is a MMA fighter...

Do you seriously think it a good idea for a woman anywhere in the world, regardless of race, to slap a man you concede is antagonistic?

Look, she made bad decisions, but calling her cowardly for not attacking the man (what else does “her own dirty work” mean?) is a shameful position to hold.
She's a coward because she wants the man to be brutalized by the police, and she isn't willing to get her own hands dirty.

She wants him to get roughed up, just not by her. That's cowardly.

I think it's pretty clear she isn't actually threatened by the man, because she starts the video by advancing on him against his protests to stay back.

She was mad, not threatened.
__________________
Gobble gobble
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2020, 06:06 AM   #40
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery
 
lionking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 46,423
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
The lady says she is in the Ramble during her 911 call.

The guy feeding unleashed dogs is antagonistic. This isn't a tactic I would advocate as it seems likely to cause needlessly hostile confrontations.

Such confrontations are common in shared public places, especially when you have people who feel privileged to use it any way they see fit, the rules be damned.

The fact that two park goers had a tiff over how to use the park is not scandalous. Squabbling over public spaces is common. The fact that this lady's response is to make a thinly veiled threat to call in the racist goons to brutalize him is the scandal. I don't know how you interpret her framing of the 911 threat, which she carried out, as an attempt to wield the racist NYPD as a cudgel against her enemy.
The word hyperbole has just been redefined.
__________________
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:52 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.