ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags police incidents , police issues , police misconduct charges

Old 25th September 2020, 06:37 AM   #2361
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
Small point - he was not an injured protestor but still no more deserving of such treatment. The "good cops" that would have reported or, at least, remonstrated with him must have been elsewhere.
Much repeated but never cited. You say he's not injured and is doing some sort of passive resistance stunt. I trust you have evidence for this claim.

Earlier video shows the man on the ground and cops barking at street medic types to get back. Hard to say if injured or not. https://twitter.com/WarlockBranis/st...707983872?s=19
Old 25th September 2020, 08:48 AM   #2362
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by chrispy View Post
Well, its OK then.
Apparently, assault is perfectly acceptable as long as the victim is wearing the appropriate safety gear.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2020, 10:34 AM   #2363
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Much repeated but never cited. You say he's not injured and is doing some sort of passive resistance stunt. I trust you have evidence for this claim.

Earlier video shows the man on the ground and cops barking at street medic types to get back. Hard to say if injured or not. https://twitter.com/WarlockBranis/st...707983872?s=19
I, categorically, said he wasn't injured, no more, no less and no hint of his motivation. The words " passive", "resistance" & "stunt" do not exist in my post.

I'm not sure what his motivation was but can guess that your version looks fairly accurate from the video. Play it through slowly and you can see him lowering himself to the ground in the final act of prostrating himself as he comes in to view.

Please be aware I'm not remotely interested in a long protracted back and forth with you over this "small point". If you think I'm some sort of cop fan.........

Last edited by bluesjnr; 25th September 2020 at 10:56 AM.
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2020, 10:57 AM   #2364
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
I, categorically, said he wasn't injured, no more, no less and no hint of his motivation. The words " passive", "resistance" & "stunt" do not exist in my post.

I'm not sure what his motivation was but can guess that your version looks fairly accurate from the video. Play it through slowly and you can see him lowering himself to the ground in the final act of prostrating himself as he comes in to view.

Please be aware I'm not remotely interested in a long protracted back and forth with you over this "small point". If you think I'm some sort of cop fan.........
Ok, so you don't know, and neither do I, that this person wasn't injured.

You know as well as I that right wingers online are asserting that this guy wasn't injured without a lick of evidence. If isn't the case, post a link.

Not that it really matters as to whether it's acceptable for a cop to intentionally assault a face down protestor

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 25th September 2020 at 10:59 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2020, 02:25 PM   #2365
chrispy
Muse

You know as well as I that right wingers online are asserting that this guy wasn't injured without a lick of evidence. If isn't the case, post a link.

Not that it really matters as to whether it's acceptable for a cop to intentionally assault a face down protestor
*Boom* ...mic drop
Old 25th September 2020, 02:27 PM   #2366
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

To be fair, I thought bluesjnr made it pretty clear he thought the issue of injury irrelevant to the assertion that the cop did wrong.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2020, 03:04 PM   #2367
bluesjnr

*Boom* ...mic drop
Really?

Would you care to explain how and in what way I was shut up?

Last edited by bluesjnr; 25th September 2020 at 03:10 PM.
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2020, 03:05 PM   #2368
bluesjnr

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
To be fair, I thought bluesjnr made it pretty clear he thought the issue of injury irrelevant to the assertion that the cop did wrong.
Thank you.
Old 25th September 2020, 03:33 PM   #2369
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

Has this one been discussed? Blond, all-American teenager shot while reversing his car out of his parents' garage, after the police were called to check on his safety in relation to some online posts he had just made. He had ADHD and it seems that there were fears that he might be a suicide risk.

So the cops shot him.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-54290575
Old 25th September 2020, 04:48 PM   #2370
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
Has this one been discussed? Blond, all-American teenager shot while reversing his car out of his parents' garage, after the police were called to check on his safety in relation to some online posts he had just made. He had ADHD and it seems that there were fears that he might be a suicide risk.

So the cops shot him.

And the cop got $70,000 out of it.

Not bad for a few minutes work. No wonder it's so popular with the cop tribe.

And his friends, who called 911 for help to make sure he was okay ... I guess they won't make that mistake again.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2020, 11:32 PM   #2371
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

So the cops shot him.

I wish there were broader coverage on other groups who might suffer from institutionalized violence, particularly the mentally ill. Fatal shootings involving black people seem to automatically gain traction as there is an organization that mobilizes to organize protests, often within hours. I'd like to see if there's a similar group that does this for the mentally ill. Not up for the research tonight but the National Alliance on Mental Illness would be a good place to start.

If you're black *and* mentally ill you're in real trouble.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2020, 03:55 AM   #2372
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
And the cop got $70,000 out of it.

Not bad for a few minutes work. No wonder it's so popular with the cop tribe.

And his friends, who called 911 for help to make sure he was okay ... I guess they won't make that mistake again.
Should be enough for the police officer to get a new tattoo or his badge altered.
Old 27th September 2020, 10:59 PM   #2373
erlando
Graduate Poster

So the cops shot him.

I truly fail to understand why armed police are being sent to check on someone's mental health. It seems pretty obvious that sending someone armed with no specific training to handle mental health issues to "check" on a possibly outward reacting person having an incident is destined to end badly. Especially when that armed someone have been given the "I feared for my life"-pass to shoot anyone remotely threatening.

Damn....
Old 28th September 2020, 06:42 AM   #2374
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by erlando View Post
I truly fail to understand why armed police are being sent to check on someone's mental health. It seems pretty obvious that sending someone armed with no specific training to handle mental health issues to "check" on a possibly outward reacting person having an incident is destined to end badly. Especially when that armed someone have been given the "I feared for my life"-pass to shoot anyone remotely threatening.

Damn....
Increased opportunity to use their guns. Those things are damned expensive and need to be utilized as much as possible. As opposed to using their brains which are bargain basement priced and frequently non- functional above the primitive fear instinct that triggers the fight-or-flight reflex. Mentally compromised people are scary!
Old 28th September 2020, 07:29 AM   #2375
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Increased opportunity to use their guns. Those things are damned expensive and need to be utilized as much as possible. As opposed to using their brains which are bargain basement priced and frequently non- functional above the primitive fear instinct that triggers the fight-or-flight reflex. Mentally compromised people are scary!
And it gives the new recruits a safer chance to gain their first kill so they can get a tattoo or their badge modified.
Old 28th September 2020, 07:40 AM   #2376
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
And it gives the new recruits a safer chance to gain their first kill so they can get a tattoo or their badge modified.
Wonder if there is a special “shoot a looney” tat.
Old 28th September 2020, 09:17 AM   #2377
lobosrul5
Master Poster

Damn....
This is why cities like Austin are moving some funds around from police to other resources. The state and police unions respond with...

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/09...austin-police/

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/lo...3-b60da8c11498
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2020, 10:11 PM   #2378
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Steve View Post

Which is why I am always concerned for my safety when cops are around.

(Oh. You were talking about the victims of the cops, weren't you. Sorry. )

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."

Last edited by quadraginta; 28th September 2020 at 10:13 PM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2020, 05:48 PM   #2379
Matthew Best
Philosopher

https://www.foxnews.com/us/californi...police-reports

Police say they didn’t know it was wrong to lie in police reports.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2020, 12:13 AM   #2380
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post

Fox has lifted most of their article from the Orange County newspaper, the OC paper has a lot more detail and is well worth a read.

https://www.ocregister.com/oc-sherif...it-was-illegal

Not only does it show how widespread the problem was it also shows how even now in the light of publicity the state is still trying to minimise any charges and the like for the police.

ETA

Quote:
Unaware of state law?
Atkinson and Simpson told grand jurors during Mora’s hearing that they had never been trained on a Penal Code section making it illegal to falsely write in their reports that they had booked evidence — typically guns, drugs, money and photos.

Special prosecutor Patrick K. O’Toole told grand jurors that he gave the plea deal to Atkinson and Simpson partially because they had not been informed of the Penal Code section for lying on a official report.

“So I let them plead to the less serious charge because I thought it was justified under the circumstances,” O’Toole told the jurors. “And I think you will recall also their testimony that, not that ignorance of the law is any excuse, but they had never heard of this government code section before, or I don’t think any of these people ever thought the Penal Code section applies to them in what they are doing.”

... snip...
So he agrees that ignorance of the law is not an excuse but then adds a huge BUT because the police officers claimed they didn't know about the law they weren't really being naughty, just a bit cheeky.

I would love to see a defending attorney when O'Toole was prosecuting someone for say a drug offence ask the accused have they been trained and told about the precise section of law that their alleged offence breaks...

Last edited by Darat; 30th September 2020 at 12:24 AM.
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2020, 12:16 AM   #2381
Planigale
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post

I may not have gone through training at a Police academy, or continued professional training as a LEO, but I know that you do not lie in official reports, and that chain of custody is essential to prevent contamination of evidence. You cannot help think there is something more than inefficiency if you have drugs and drug apparatus kicking around in the back of your police cruiser for a month.*

ETA
I wonder whether the US plea deal system is partly to blame. Most people on a 'minor' drug charge will accept a plea deal and so long as the evidence is said to be present in the police report it will never have to be presented as evidence in court. So the physical evidence can be recycled and only need to be booked in if it looks like the case will be contested.

Last edited by Planigale; 30th September 2020 at 12:20 AM.
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2020, 04:21 AM   #2382
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

The problem of known liar cops staying on the police force is so common in the US there are lists known as "Brady" or "Giglio" lists. DA's won't call officers on these lists because they know that their past history of lying in court will make their testimony worthless. The DA is required to disclose Brady status to defense attorneys, so it's easier to just never build a case that relies on the testimony of a Brady cop.

It seems to me that a cop that can't testify in court because the defense will easily smear them as known liars is someone who shouldn't be a cop anymore.

For example, there are at 23 Massachusetts state police listed on the Suffolk County (Boston metro) Brady/Giglio list.

https://www.wbur.org/news/2020/09/25...dibility-brady

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 30th September 2020 at 04:22 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2020, 05:12 AM   #2383
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Planigale View Post
I may not have gone through training at a Police academy, or continued professional training as a LEO, but I know that you do not lie in official reports, and that chain of custody is essential to prevent contamination of evidence. You cannot help think there is something more than inefficiency if you have drugs and drug apparatus kicking around in the back of your police cruiser for a month.*

ETA
I wonder whether the US plea deal system is partly to blame. Most people on a 'minor' drug charge will accept a plea deal and so long as the evidence is said to be present in the police report it will never have to be presented as evidence in court. So the physical evidence can be recycled and only need to be booked in if it looks like the case will be contested.
I suspect that is the case. The USA appears (as a generalisation) to have allowed plea bargaining to become the prosecuting SOP rather than reserve it for exceptional circumstances.
Old 30th September 2020, 05:18 AM   #2384
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

The problem of known liar cops staying on the police force is so common in the US there are lists known as "Brady" or "Giglio" lists. DA's won't call officers on these lists because they know that their past history of lying in court will make their testimony worthless. The DA is required to disclose Brady status to defense attorneys, so it's easier to just never build a case that relies on the testimony of a Brady cop.

It seems to me that a cop that can't testify in court because the defense will easily smear them as known liars is someone who shouldn't be a cop anymore.

For example, there are at 23 Massachusetts state police listed on the Suffolk County (Boston metro) Brady/Giglio list.

https://www.wbur.org/news/2020/09/25...dibility-brady
Wow - that is very damning. As you say how can you have a police officer that can't be believed (beyond a reasonable doubt) in a trial?

I really can see why the cry is "defund" the police, when departments and the entire service is full of - to be frank criminals I think it is apparent that the service can't police itself, never mind provide police for the public.
Old 30th September 2020, 06:04 AM   #2385
Suddenly
No Punting

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Wow - that is very damning. As you say how can you have a police officer that can't be believed (beyond a reasonable doubt) in a trial?

It isn't so much that as there are prosecutors who take their ethical duties seriously enough to not put cops on the stand that have been known to lie.

Most prosecutors take a more willfully ignorant stance on the issue.
Suddenly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2020, 06:11 AM   #2386
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Suddenly View Post
It isn't so much that as there are prosecutors who take their ethical duties seriously enough to not put cops on the stand that have been known to lie.

Most prosecutors take a more willfully ignorant stance on the issue.
Unfortunately, no. Prosecutors have to disclose these cops because of SCOTUS ruling in Brady v Maryland, in which a conviction was overturned because prosecutors did not turn over exculpatory evidence. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brady_v._Maryland

Ethics has very little to do with it, prosecutors just don't want to give these defendants an easy appeal route. Usually these lists are not freely given to the public. This list for Boston was disclosed against the prosecutors will under the state's record law.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 30th September 2020 at 06:14 AM.
Old 30th September 2020, 06:46 AM   #2387
Suddenly
No Punting

Unfortunately, no. Prosecutors have to disclose these cops because of SCOTUS ruling in Brady v Maryland, in which a conviction was overturned because prosecutors did not turn over exculpatory evidence. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brady_v._Maryland

Ethics has very little to do with it, prosecutors just don't want to give these defendants an easy appeal route.
Legal theory is nice, but unless prosecutors are going to take the ethical duty seriously, so what. In the real world there are a ton of runarounds and gray areas that can be exploited to not do this and the ramifications for non-compliance are rare as usually such evidence will not come to light and if it does a reviewing court will tend to not be enthusiastic about reversing a conviction.,

That is if the case has long enough of a sentence for anyone to care. It can take years to develop this sort of case, and much of the time by then the person has discharged the sentence. There is also no constitutional right to counsel as to this, although many jurisdictions will appoint counsel for post conviction matters beyond basic appeals.

It is good that some states are trying to require lists and some more progressive prosecutors are taking initiative. They are being..... ethical.
Suddenly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2020, 09:25 AM   #2388
chrispy
Muse

I don't remember seeing this story posted in this thread. Happened a few weeks back. The story is that a hotel manager called the police because a man pulled a gun on them. The responding officer made contact and was given the description of a white male. He then proceeded to hold a black employee at gunpoint while telling him that he matched the description. And, no, the employee wasn't even mixed race like me. He was Black. Investigation underway, and I haven't been able to locate a follow up story.

Also, theis cops attitude is everything about why people hate the cops.

https://www.abc15.com/news/region-so...-white-suspect

Full video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlO_5C4Zzik
Old 1st October 2020, 10:51 AM   #2389
erlando
Graduate Poster

I don't remember seeing this story posted in this thread. Happened a few weeks back. The story is that a hotel manager called the police because a man pulled a gun on them. The responding officer made contact and was given the description of a white male. He then proceeded to hold a black employee at gunpoint while telling him that he matched the description. And, no, the employee wasn't even mixed race like me. He was Black. Investigation underway, and I haven't been able to locate a follow up story.

Full video

Holy **** that cop is itching to shoot someone. Also he *really* wants to go home to his family. Nevermind the innocent people he points his gun at and yells at.

He will soon get his first kill.
Old 1st October 2020, 11:06 AM   #2390
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Holy **** that cop is itching to shoot someone. Also he *really* wants to go home to his family. Nevermind the innocent people he points his gun at and yells at.

Encounters two black people while hunting a white suspect, treats both like garbage. Checks out

Also, **** this **** where cops get control of their bodycams. There remains no good excuse for any on-duty cop to shut off their camera unless they are literally sitting on a toilet.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2020, 11:47 AM   #2391
chrispy
Muse

Yeah, he is a terrifying individual. How the hell did this guy pass his Psych Evals?
Old 1st October 2020, 11:50 AM   #2392
chrispy
Muse

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
Also, **** this **** where cops get control of their bodycams. There remains no good excuse for any on-duty cop to shut off their camera unless they are literally sitting on a toilet.
^^^ This x 100
Old 1st October 2020, 11:50 AM   #2393
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Yeah, he is a terrifying individual. How the hell did this guy pass his Psych Evals?
Why is that even a question? He is just what they look for. This is someone who aces a killology class.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2020, 11:51 AM   #2394
chrispy
Muse

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Why is that even a question? He is just what they look for. This is someone who aces a killology class.
True enough. But man did he seem itchy and unhinged.
Old 1st October 2020, 01:50 PM   #2395
catsmate
No longer the 1

So the cops shot him.

Yeah, I saw that. Some utter ******* murderous scum in US police uniforms.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2020, 02:41 PM   #2396
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Full video

Description: White male in a black shirt.
Guy held at gunpoint: Black male in a white shirt. It's SO easy to get confused.
Old 1st October 2020, 05:23 PM   #2397
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Louisiana State Trooper caught on tape admitting he "beat the ever-living f--- out of” a man killed in what police called "a car crash".

https://apnews.com/article/us-news-a...c9e980ab7228c5
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 07:47 AM   #2398
chrispy
Muse

Investigation underway, and I haven't been able to locate a follow up story.
I did find a follow up from last week. $2.5 million lawsuit by man held at gunpoint.

ETA: Forgot link

https://www.azfamily.com/news/black-...1186618e2.html

Last edited by chrispy; 2nd October 2020 at 07:57 AM.
chrispy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 07:26 PM   #2399
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Pregnant woman?

Kneel on the bitch!

https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/americ...n-by-us-police
Old 3rd October 2020, 01:36 AM   #2400
bluesjnr

Here is an interesting one from youtuber Donut Operator. He is an ex LEO who features videos showing things from a police perspective. Lots of interesting stuff here, so much so that I, who is avowedly anti-cop, feel sorry for the officers concerned.

I'd be a liar if I didn't say that I think the cops acted with a level of constraint way beyond that expected (and that I would be capable of).

Lastly, I've noticed the tactic of going to "I can't breathe", is something I'm seeing more often.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Last edited by bluesjnr; 3rd October 2020 at 01:54 AM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events