ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 12th August 2008, 12:01 AM   #1
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Charts, They've Got Charts

You probably remember the Academy Award-winning movie, A Beautiful Mind, starring Russell Crowe as John Nash. A key scene in the movie is when his wife visits the shed in which he's been working and discovers a bizarre chart he's been creating based upon imagined connections between people, stories, and spies.

One of the things conspiracy theorists (like Nash), love to do is create elaborate organizational charts based on how they imagine the world really works. It's like these guys are all flowchart schizophrenics.

Here's my current favorite, linked offsite because it's too honking big and you would not catch the details if I posted it here. It's obviously done by some fruitcake 9-11 Truther of the really vile, anti-Zionist Eric Hufschmid, Daryl Bradford Smith ilk. Very professional-looking as these things go, although the idea that you can follow some sort of conspiracy theory through to the end is ridiculous.

In this one, Barrie Zwicker traced the connections between left-wing media sources and opposition to 9-11 Troof:

Conservatives might be interested in that flowchart, if it actually went anywhere.

A lot of the Troofers refer to this activity as connecting the dots. Here's a particularly interesting method of dot-connecting from Eric Hufschmid, one of the early US 9-11 nutbars and a Holocaust denier to boot.

The interesting thing in that flowchart is that the only people shown who are significant figures in the Troofer Movement today are Alex Jones and Dylan Avery, and the latter is clearly on his 19th minute of fame.

So how about it? Surely the other conspiracy theories have some interesting flowcharts? Let's see 'em!

Last edited by Brainster; 12th August 2008 at 12:05 AM.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2008, 12:18 AM   #2
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

One of our Federal politicians put this diagram out to explain the then-government's "Knowledge Nation" policy. It soon became known as "Noodle Nation" (I know it's not about a conspiracy, but it's a damn good chart):

Sir Winston Churchill

Last edited by lionking; 12th August 2008 at 12:19 AM.
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2008, 12:47 PM   #3
Alareth
Philosopher

I prefer The Question's chart in his room on Justice League Unlimited.

Quote:
The Question: Reaching back to ancient Egypt, there's been a single cabal of powerful individuals directing the course of human history. But the common man prefers to believe they don't exist -- which aids their success.
Supergirl: Global warming, military upheavals in the third world, actors elected to public office....
Green Arrow: The spread of coffee bars, germs outpacing anti-biotics, and boy bands? Come on. Who would gain from all this?
The Question: Who indeed?
Alareth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2008, 01:08 PM   #4
Drudgewire
Critical Doofus

Heh, I was looking for the infamous "octopus" chart on google, and while I didn't find it, "octopus conspiracy" did bring up this from someone's myspace page:

"You post a lie, it is proven 100% false, you move the goalposts and post yet another lie and it continues on around till we're back to the original lie as if it will somehow become true if it's re-iterated again. The same misquotes over and over again. The same hindsight bias, appeals to authority, etc."
-lapman describing every twoofer on the internet
Drudgewire is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2008, 01:34 PM   #5
Arthur Denton
Muse

Heh, choose a Chart. It may be blank or have contents already. Imagine a Simpson Conspiracy. Add an image of Bart in the north, Lisa in the north-northwest, Homer in the Center, Marge somewhere near the outer layer, and Maggie in the southeast. Add some pseudo-scientific text and graphs like this:

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse....i?u=af07_truth

(Disclaimer: That's supposed to be funny, sorry, I couldn't resist).

There, presto, you have a conspiracy chart.

On a serious and quick side note, it all sounds rather ambitious to me: Try to explain a whole set of conspiracies and people who plot them in a single sheet of paper? I mean, wouldn't you actually require a lot of paper to actually do something like that at work? It's not about flow charts, really, and from experience, people often frustrate themselves at flow charts, with simple operations described, I can imagine their confusion about something that's really dark and secret, made in the bowels of the earth by a band of creepy fellows who conspire to rule the world.

I was not converted to conspiracies, as you can see.
Old 12th August 2008, 01:38 PM   #6
Zorglub
Thinker

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post

Here's my current favorite, linked offsite because it's too honking big and you would not catch the details if I posted it here. It's obviously done by some fruitcake 9-11 Truther of the really vile, anti-Zionist Eric Hufschmid, Daryl Bradford Smith ilk. Very professional-looking as these things go, although the idea that you can follow some sort of conspiracy theory through to the end is ridiculous.
!
You sure this isnīt some kind of joke? I mean, noone could really belive that chart? Not really. I hope.
Do you have the original link to the chart?I want to put this in print on a t-shirt...or a ten man tent.
Zorglub is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2008, 02:28 PM   #7
Mark Felt
Muse

Here's my current favorite, linked offsite because it's too honking big and you would not catch the details if I posted it here.
He managed to link the Oklahoma city bombing and McDonalds; this is the best conspiracy theory ever. I am in awe.
Mark Felt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2008, 02:38 PM   #8
Spud1k
+5 Goatee of Pedantry

If that is the so-called greatest chart ever, where are the chemtrails? Surely the Rothchilds are responsible for those somehow...

"Reason and free inquiry are the only effectual agents against error" - Thomas Jefferson
Spud1k is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2008, 03:31 PM   #9
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mark Felt View Post
He managed to link the Oklahoma city bombing and McDonalds; this is the best conspiracy theory ever. I am in awe.

He manages to fit Mexican illegal immigrants in there, too...

ETA: Holy crap: "U.S. Civil Rights Establishment (Zionist Proxy War)" Lol...

Man, there has to be a bigger version out there.

Last edited by Cl1mh4224rd; 12th August 2008 at 03:35 PM.
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2008, 04:17 PM   #10
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Here's one of my favorite charts. Very handy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg usaf_id_chart.jpg (50.3 KB, 97 views)
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2008, 04:54 PM   #11
Drudgewire
Critical Doofus

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post

"You post a lie, it is proven 100% false, you move the goalposts and post yet another lie and it continues on around till we're back to the original lie as if it will somehow become true if it's re-iterated again. The same misquotes over and over again. The same hindsight bias, appeals to authority, etc."
Drudgewire is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2008, 05:00 PM   #12
defaultdotxbe
Drunken Shikigami

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
i have that pinned up in my cubicle at work, it gets lots of compliments
Old 12th August 2008, 05:16 PM   #13
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Because of the use of a tiny swastika and SS-Runes in this one, the german authorities started criminal investigations for "use of anti-constitutional symbols" against the artist and a person who hosted it on his website. No kidding.

Some more confusingly complex charts are to explore here at Université Tangente.

Last edited by Childlike Empress; 12th August 2008 at 05:18 PM.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2008, 06:01 PM   #14
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Zorglub View Post
You sure this isnīt some kind of joke? I mean, noone could really belive that chart? Not really. I hope.
Do you have the original link to the chart?I want to put this in print on a t-shirt...or a ten man tent.
Here's where I found it. (May have to click to enlarge it on that page.

No, it's not a joke, and yes, there are people out there who believe it. See the bit about finding 13 Internet Treasures? If you look around, you will see a few URLs hidden in the chart, including Eric Hufschmid's page, I Am the Witness (Daryl Bradford Smith) Tarpley.net (Webster Tarpley), Team 8 (defunct group of Truth "Researchers"), Jews Against Zionism, etc.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2008, 08:06 PM   #15
Dr Adequate
Banned

Originally Posted by Drudgewire View Post
Heh, I was looking for the infamous "octopus" chart on google ...
This?
Dr Adequate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2008, 08:16 PM   #16
Dr Adequate
Banned

Bush Crime Family Flowchart.

Heck, they've probably got me in there somewhere.
Dr Adequate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2008, 11:13 PM   #17
Zorglub
Thinker

No, it's not a joke, and yes, there are people out there who believe it. See the bit about finding 13 Internet Treasures? If you look around, you will see a few URLs hidden in the chart, including Eric Hufschmid's page, I Am the Witness (Daryl Bradford Smith) Tarpley.net (Webster Tarpley), Team 8 (defunct group of Truth "Researchers"), Jews Against Zionism, etc.
Thanks, better resolution on that one. Ok it really IS genuine truther "evidence". Damn, I was sure it was some kind of joke It is like something right out of the M.A.D magazine.
Anyone who has tried to fold it? Perhaps thereīs a hidden picture of a goose or something.

Edit: Muahahahaha. The list of false flag operations is hilarious. (Except it really isnīt as the subjects are quite tragic))
Fake Columbine Gun Control Psy-ops Is there a conspiracy that claims the Columbine shootings where a false-flag? Really?
Apparently there is.
http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread204413/pg1
Damn, I shouldīnt have read that crap. Now my eyes are sore from bright flashes of stupidity.

Last edited by Zorglub; 12th August 2008 at 11:32 PM.
Zorglub is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2008, 01:08 AM   #18
Spud1k
+5 Goatee of Pedantry

I'm reminded of the scene in that Simpsons episode where all the kids get together in the treehouse to figure out why their parents are spending all day indoors. Specifically, the bit where Millhouse (IIRC) tries to come with an over-arching theory that includes all of the other kids' individual theories (including Lisa's facetious bit about vampires).

"Reason and free inquiry are the only effectual agents against error" - Thomas Jefferson
Spud1k is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2008, 05:54 AM   #19
Drudgewire
Critical Doofus

Originally Posted by Dr Adequate View Post

That's the one. Bravo.
Old 13th August 2008, 11:07 PM   #20
Jontg
The Bear Skeptic

Dude. I mean, seriously. Dude. This isn't even funny after a few minutes. This is how paranoid schizophrenia presents. Why did we close the asylums again?
Jontg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2008, 05:55 AM   #21
boloboffin

Eric Hufschmid doesn't come off too well on that big chart, Brainster. Look at the lower left middle of the chart. He's lumped in with Chomsky and Michael Moore. I'm not thinking that's a good thing in the context.

Last edited by boloboffin; 14th August 2008 at 05:56 AM.
boloboffin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2008, 11:02 AM   #22
Marquis de Carabas
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mark Felt View Post
Mojo Nixon managed to connect Mormons, McDonald's, Disney, and aliens in a single conspiracy.
Marquis de Carabas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2009, 04:56 PM   #23
Dr Adequate
Banned

Michelle "Donuts" Malkin weighs in:

Old 1st November 2009, 03:46 PM   #24
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher

Michelle "Donuts" Malkin weighs in:

http://michellemalkin.cachefly.net/m...009/10/dsa.jpg

Wow. Tides? Really? Why them and not their puppet master, Moon?

P.S. And "foundingbloggers.com"? Jesus...
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2009, 04:59 PM   #25
Graham2001
Graduate Poster

When I saw the term 'Octopus' diagram I thought you might be referring to another diagram I'd heard of that was created by a CTist back in the late 80's early 90's shortly before he was killed. (Apologies about being so vague it's been a while since I read the article).

Everybody gets it wrong sometimes...
Graham2001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2009, 06:40 PM   #26
dropzone
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Spud1k View Post
I'm reminded of the scene in that Simpsons episode where all the kids get together in the treehouse to figure out why their parents are spending all day indoors. Specifically, the bit where Millhouse (IIRC) tries to come with an over-arching theory that includes all of the other kids' individual theories (including Lisa's facetious bit about vampires).
Ah, a Grand Unified Conspiracy Theory. The X-Files tried, but failed, to tie together all of the loose ends. There was another show in the 90s but set in the 60s that I thought was more successful. Not compared with "Illuminatus" (they didn't throw it the assassination of a fake John Dillinger)*, but pretty good.

* - A hundred bucks for that book? I read it for free when it was new. I swear, I'm putting together a Gangland Chicago tour, though Gangland St Paul might be fun if I still lived there. See, back in the 20s and 30s St Paul (yes, St Paul, Minnesota, known now mostly for "A Prairie Home Companion"**) was wide open with a mayor and police force that were easily persuaded to look the other way. Moreso than Chicago and Cicero, since (this was Minnesota after all) they did not care about your race, creed, color, or mob affiliation. My dad had a friend whose cop dad had died, but Junior knew where his service revolver was. Junior was looking out the window into the alley and saw Dillinger and his people, who had been in town until things cooled down and doing so down the street, loading up their cars. JD and another guy were covering the exit with tommy guns. Junior, being young, impetuous, and an idiot, had to be physically constrained by his mother from grabbing Dad's .38 and trying to make a name for himself.

** - My dad worked at the Fitzgerald, nee World, Theater, where they perform the show, but he worked there back in the 30s.
dropzone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2009, 06:45 PM   #27
Drudgewire
Critical Doofus

Originally Posted by Graham2001 View Post
When I saw the term 'Octopus' diagram I thought you might be referring to another diagram I'd heard of that was created by a CTist back in the late 80's early 90's shortly before he was killed. (Apologies about being so vague it's been a while since I read the article).

Yeah, that's who I meant. It's the basic gist of Danny Casolaro's CT.
Old 1st November 2009, 09:31 PM   #28
akama1
Critical Thinker

Wow, moon hoax as well. special.
akama1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2009, 09:43 PM   #29
Dr Adequate
Banned

Originally Posted by Cl1mh4224rd View Post
Wow. Tides? Really? Why them and not their puppet master, Moon?
Yeah, apparently America is being secretly ruled by a bunch of people we've never even heard of ... I guess that just shows how good They are at being secret.

Last edited by Dr Adequate; 1st November 2009 at 09:46 PM.
Old 1st November 2009, 10:11 PM   #30
Dr Adequate
Banned

Bush Crime Family Flowchart.

Heck, they've probably got me in there somewhere.
Notice how the "Bush Crime Family" includes Neckle Sewing Machines.

I guess they use them to stitch up elections.
Old 2nd November 2009, 02:25 AM   #31
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by Zorglub View Post
The Left Gatekeeping one has been kicking around the 9/11 forum for some time now, and metamars treats it as his gospel. If you look very carefully, you'll find that the International Media are controlled for the very reasonable sum of $100,000; apparently there was a special deal this decade.

Dave

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2009, 05:49 AM   #32
Oliver
Penultimate Amazing

Oliver is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2009, 05:54 AM   #33
gtc
Philosopher

Reminds me of the Pacman chart.
gtc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2009, 07:01 AM   #34
Myron Proudfoot
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
The Left Gatekeeping one has been kicking around the 9/11 forum for some time now, and metamars treats it as his gospel. If you look very carefully, you'll find that the International Media are controlled for the very reasonable sum of $100,000; apparently there was a special deal this decade.

Dave
Coupons!!!!!
Old 2nd November 2009, 07:24 AM   #35
Graham2001
Graduate Poster

Yeah, that's who I meant. It's the basic gist of Danny Casolaro's CT.
Thanks, from what I can remember from the article I saw about him in the Fortiam(sic) Times the chart he was working on looked like an Octopus. I'm surprised that none of his followers has put his version online.

Last edited by Graham2001; 2nd November 2009 at 07:30 AM.
Graham2001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2009, 08:00 AM   #36
Drudgewire
Critical Doofus

Originally Posted by Graham2001 View Post
Thanks, from what I can remember from the article I saw about him in the Fortiam(sic) Times the chart he was working on looked like an Octopus. I'm surprised that none of his followers has put his version online.

Was it Fort Times? They were more UFO/cryptozoology. I remember the CT mags like Nexxus and Paranoia being all over it though. I used to love that stuff.
Old 2nd November 2009, 09:27 PM   #37
Graham2001
Graduate Poster

Was it Fort Times? They were more UFO/cryptozoology. I remember the CT mags like Nexxus and Paranoia being all over it though. I used to love that stuff.
I think it was mentioned in an article about William Cooper, I'm going to dig through my FT collection and see if I can find the article/issue.

PS. Regarding the 2007 'Treasure Map' are there versions for 2008/09 I'd love to see just how President 'B.O.' fits into all this.

Last edited by Graham2001; 2nd November 2009 at 09:30 PM.
Old 3rd November 2009, 04:27 PM   #38
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Here's another one that purports to tie together Jon Gold's fevered fantasies.
Old 4th November 2009, 08:23 AM   #39
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

No mention yet of my grand unified flow chart of world tyranny?

I mean I managed to link Oprah, the Reverse Vampires, Wal-Mart and Noam Chomsky!

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2009, 10:33 AM   #40
BobHaulk
Muse

i dont need a chart because the Queen of England rules the world and it's well known that's she's thousands of years old. When their body gets old they just remove their spinal fluid and inject it into the spine of a baby that has been engineered from their dna in one of the Anannuki's labs. They retain who they are. For instance the Queen mother, who's body was 800 years old when it died, is currently growing up as the child of Prince Edward. Lord Mountbatton, prince charles's uncle and former head of the freemasons and was supposedly killed by the ira, is actually Prince William.
I told this to David Icke and he though i was mad
BobHaulk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories