ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Allan Kardec , life after death , spiritism , spiritualism

Old 24th August 2019, 06:48 AM   #561
Ricardo

Originally Posted by JesseCuster View Post
Why did you say you no longer believe in spirits?
I was just testing you ... I believe in spirits.
Ricardo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2019, 06:54 AM   #562
Pope130
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
The argument that "there is no evidence" or "it doesn't convince me", is actually a rhetorical device and not appropriate in a supposedly rational debate. If a skeptic can't explain why the evidence doesn't convince him, if he can't explain what is wrong with the evidence, then he probably doesn't really know what the evidence is, or he is not really trying to understand the evidence, or he has no valid argument against the evidence.
I find it ironic that you have once again quoted material without attribution as though it were your own, which criticizes skeptics who cannot articulate their own positions.

"Pot calling the kettle black." (Proverbial idiom of Spanish origin.)
Pope130 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2019, 07:01 AM   #563
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

I don't want Sean Carroll's explanation ... I want your explanation ... I want your evidence that spirits DO NOT EXIST.
Why is it okay for you to post links, but not for other people to post links?
Old 24th August 2019, 07:02 AM   #564
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

I was just testing you .. I believe in the existence of spirits ... one day a spirit caused a pain in my abdomen so strong that I could not stand up!
You know that this can equally well be attributed to a trapped fart, right? What's your evidence that it wasn't a trapped fart? Are all farts caused by spirits? Are all spirits caused by farts?
Old 24th August 2019, 07:17 AM   #565
Ricardo

Originally Posted by Pope130 View Post
I find it ironic that you have once again quoted material without attribution as though it were your own, which criticizes skeptics who cannot articulate their own positions.

"Pot calling the kettle black." (Proverbial idiom of Spanish origin.)
I criticize pseudo-skeptics ... and have respect for skeptics.
Ricardo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2019, 07:20 AM   #566
Ricardo

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
You know that this can equally well be attributed to a trapped fart, right? What's your evidence that it wasn't a trapped fart? Are all farts caused by spirits? Are all spirits caused by farts?
no kidding ... what is your explanation of the cause of the pain?
Old 24th August 2019, 07:21 AM   #567
JesseCuster
Graduate Poster

I was just testing you ... I believe in spirits.
Testing us for what?
JesseCuster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2019, 07:23 AM   #568
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

no kidding ... what is your explanation of the cause of the pain?
A trapped fart is as good an explanation as you've offered here. Better, in fact, since we know that trapped farts are a real thing that actually occur.
Old 24th August 2019, 07:24 AM   #569
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

The only way to solve this is to present evidence of its NOT existence.
What, pray tell, could possibly serve as evidence of the non-existence of a thing? This is why existential questions properly place the burden of proof upon those who assert existence. You can't carry your burden of proof, and you know it. The answer is not to try to reverse the burden of proof. The answer is to concede one's case. What do we call someone who has no case, no evidence, no reasoning, but still clings to a belief?
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2019, 07:33 AM   #570
Ricardo

Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
What, pray tell, could possibly serve as evidence of the non-existence of a thing? This is why existential questions properly place the burden of proof upon those who assert existence. You can't carry your burden of proof, and you know it. The answer is not to try to reverse the burden of proof. The answer is to concede one's case. What do we call someone who has no case, no evidence, no reasoning, but still clings to a belief?
I believe in the existence of spirits ... because I've had my own experiences ... spirits can cause pain in people ... this happened to me ... a friend who is magnetizing through magnetic fluid has removed the spirit and the pain that I felt over in a matter of seconds!

Do you claim that spirits do not exist? is this your belief?
Old 24th August 2019, 07:35 AM   #571
Ricardo

Now the debate will be serious! the theme is do spirits exist or do they not exist?
Old 24th August 2019, 07:39 AM   #572
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Location: Milky Way, Sol, Earth, Northern Hemisphere, USA, AZ, Scottsdale
Now the debate will be serious! the theme is do spirits exist or do they not exist?
The evidence suggests that the existence of spirits will not be debated.
Old 24th August 2019, 07:43 AM   #573
Ricardo

This is why existential questions properly place the burden of proof upon those who assert existence.

this is a fallacy or a pseudo-skeptical argument!
Old 24th August 2019, 07:44 AM   #574
Ricardo

Originally Posted by The Greater Fool View Post
prove that spirits do NOT exist!
Old 24th August 2019, 07:54 AM   #575
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

what is the cause of my pain?
The most likely cause of both the pain and its disappearance is your own mind.
Old 24th August 2019, 07:55 AM   #576
8enotto
Graduate Poster

When we show all acts of spirits can be tricks of the mind, wishful thinking and 19th century seance parlor tricks we have done that.
Now you show us something spirits can do a human cannot fake or duplicate..

Don't force me to go get my jar of non existence evidence from the shed. It's next to the jar of chicken teeth.
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2019, 07:55 AM   #577
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Location: Milky Way, Sol, Earth, Northern Hemisphere, USA, AZ, Scottsdale
Originally Posted by The Greater Fool View Post
Gosh, I must be psychic!
Old 24th August 2019, 07:58 AM   #578
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I bet you can't prove that spirits don't exist!
Indeed not. It is impossible to prove the nonexistence of many things, including crazy ideas which we might think up on the moment, or delusions that are shared by many. We cannot disprove transubstantiation, little green space aliens, or the science-fiction scriptures of Scientology, etc.... which is why many of us take the skeptical (not pseudo-skeptical) position that it is not our responsibility to prove they do not. It is your responsibility to prove that they do. This you have quite failed to accomplish.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2019, 08:09 AM   #579
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

I believe in the existence of spirits ... because I've had my own experiences ... spirits can cause pain in people ... this happened to me ... a friend who is magnetizing through magnetic fluid has removed the spirit and the pain that I felt over in a matter of seconds!

Do you claim that spirits do not exist? is this your belief?
None of that has the slightest to do with my post. You almost always quote my posts, but you have yet to answer a single question they contain. Why is that?
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2019, 08:11 AM   #580
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

What exact sort of evidence would you accept as proof that spirits do not exist? Be specific.
Old 24th August 2019, 08:13 AM   #581
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

this is a fallacy or a pseudo-skeptical argument!
Mere name-calling. Explain why it's fallacious. Explain what is pseudo-skeptical about it. Do you have the brains to do so? Or are you just going to scream "Pseudo-skeptic!" every time someone finds fault with your reasoning?
Old 24th August 2019, 08:27 AM   #582
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

The only way to convince me we're not talking about a trapped fart is to present evidence of its NOT existence ... I want your evidence that trapped farts DO NOT EXIST.

Do you claim that trapped farts do not exist? is this your belief?
Old 24th August 2019, 08:45 AM   #583
Ricardo

What exact sort of evidence would you accept as proof that spirits do not exist? Be specific.
I had these experiences which is why I believe it took me over a year to believe it I want empirical evidence that spirits do not exist! I'm not offending anyone here ... it's a constructive criticism! It is possible to prove a negative!
Old 24th August 2019, 08:47 AM   #584
Ricardo

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Indeed not. It is impossible to prove the nonexistence of many things, including crazy ideas which we might think up on the moment, or delusions that are shared by many. We cannot disprove transubstantiation, little green space aliens, or the science-fiction scriptures of Scientology, etc.... which is why many of us take the skeptical (not pseudo-skeptical) position that it is not our responsibility to prove they do not. It is your responsibility to prove that they do. This you have quite failed to accomplish.
I respect your opinion ... but it is possible to prove a negative!
Old 24th August 2019, 08:49 AM   #585
Ricardo

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
The only way to convince me we're not talking about a trapped fart is to present evidence of its NOT existence ... I want your evidence that trapped farts DO NOT EXIST.

Do you claim that trapped farts do not exist? is this your belief?
This is a pseudo-skeptical attitude ... mocking!
Old 24th August 2019, 08:51 AM   #586
JesseCuster
Graduate Poster

through magnetism my pain disappeared at the same moment ...
Hold on. Was it spirits or magnetism that cured your pain? I get the impression that you don't even know what you're claiming anymore and you're just spamming replies for the sake of it.
JesseCuster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2019, 08:52 AM   #587
Ricardo

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
The most likely cause of both the pain and its disappearance is your own mind.
explain better ! please
Old 24th August 2019, 08:53 AM   #588
Ricardo

Originally Posted by JesseCuster View Post
Hold on. Was it spirits or magnetism that cured your pain? I get the impression that you don't even know what you're claiming anymore and you're just spamming replies for the sake of it.
magnetism drove away the spirit that was causing the pain ...
Old 24th August 2019, 08:54 AM   #589
jond
Illuminator

Given that Squeegee has attempted to engage in serious discussion and you ignored it, what is left but mockery?

You have demonstrated exactly zero understanding of science, critical thinking, skepticism, reason, or rational thought. You have posted links to books, and run away when critical review of those books was brought forth. You posted absurd videos, and refused to engage in serious discussion when questions about them were raised.

Seriously, Ricardo: why should anyone take anything you say seriously?
jond is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2019, 08:56 AM   #590
Ricardo

the pain was caused by the spirit ... the magnetism expelled the spirit .. my pain disappeared in the instant ... it was a matter of seconds ... it was a very strong pain ..I even writhed in pain ...
Old 24th August 2019, 08:58 AM   #591
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by 8enotto View Post
When we show all acts of spirits can be tricks of the mind, wishful thinking and 19th century seance parlor tricks we have done that.
Or sometimes mere attribution. "My tummy hurts!" Hm, must be spirits. "My tummy stopped hurting." Spirits again. "Why is that guy writhing and thrashing on the ground?" You guessed it; spirits. Replace "spirit" with "space alien" and note that the degree of knowledge obtained from this attributional reasoning doesn't change.

The number of things that can cause abdominal discomfort makes it nearly impossible to guess the proper prosaic cause in any given second-hand anecdote. Even if we, like Scrooge, opined that it might be a blot of mustard, a morsel of undigested beef, or a bit of underdone potato, we would still need some additional evidence to test any of those hypotheses. And if the proponent of that anecdote is your debate opponent, it's certain he won't give you the evidence you need to falsify it. This thread is about testability and the nature of probative evidence.

We can certainly point to an improved knowledge of human perception and a broader knowledge of basic stagecraft as better and more evidenced causes for things once attributed to supernatural causes. We can point to a medical understanding of epilepsy, for example, to explain seizures. We can do all sorts of these exercises in affirmative alternatives. The problem is that they don't refute the spirit hypothesis. Epilepsy can cause seizures. But then again, cannot also spirits or space aliens still cause seizures too? Believers in supernatural phenomena aren't fazed by prosaic explanations. There will always remain that margin of otherwise inexplicable occurrences. Sure, many things cause my tummy to hurt, but also spirits. Or aliens. If it can't be shown conclusively to be one of those things, I'll stick with spirits or aliens as my default attribution.

The law of parsimony usually serves rational people in these cases. While it's possible for spirits also to cause seizures and tummy aches, it's more likely that the cause is one of the things for whose existence we have plenty of evidence, over something we don't know to exist and don't know to have the properties we have arbitrarily attributed to it. But parsimony is just informal reasoning. It's a principle that serves us well when we can't assertively falsify various hypotheses with evidence, because we have no way to collect that evidence.

This is why there is simply no substitute for proof of the thing one says exists. There is no indirect or contrapositive way to arrive at the knowledge one seeks by proving statements about other things that may or may not exist. Or which exist, but can't be shown to have operated in any given case.
Old 24th August 2019, 08:59 AM   #592
Ricardo

Originally Posted by jond View Post
Given that Squeegee has attempted to engage in serious discussion and you ignored it, what is left but mockery?

You have demonstrated exactly zero understanding of science, critical thinking, skepticism, reason, or rational thought. You have posted links to books, and run away when critical review of those books was brought forth. You posted absurd videos, and refused to engage in serious discussion when questions about them were raised.

Seriously, Ricardo: why should anyone take anything you say seriously?
at the beginning of the debate ... I was preaching .. but now I want to seriously debate with you ... I'm not offending anyone here ... it's just constructive criticism ... I'm just against pseudo-skepticism!
Old 24th August 2019, 09:00 AM   #593
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

It is possible to prove a negative!
but it is possible to prove a negative!
No. I've asked you twice now how you think that's done. I've asked you specifically for what evidence you would accept as proof that spirits don't exist. Since you have dodged the question both times, I assume you know full well that it's impossible to prove a negative proposition and that your arguments from here on out will continue to rise no higher than blurting out absurd claims.
Old 24th August 2019, 09:02 AM   #594
Ricardo

I just want to explain that the cause of my pain ... was caused by spirits ... so for me they exist ... this was proof of their existence ... in my case the intense pain I felt!
Old 24th August 2019, 09:03 AM   #595
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

explain better ! please
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/psychosomatic
Old 24th August 2019, 09:03 AM   #596
8enotto
Graduate Poster

Intestinal gasses are a real medical fact. As are kindney stones that pass after great abdominal pain. A muscle spasm or pinched nerve in the lower back equally well, something a person with nervous twitches would be prone to.

Did you take time to eliminate all these as suspects before crediting a spirit , a prayer and mysterious magnetism?

If not retract your insult to Squeegee.
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2019, 09:07 AM   #597
jond
Illuminator

at the beginning of the debate ... I was preaching .. but now I want to seriously debate with you ... I'm not offending anyone here ... it's just constructive criticism ... I'm just against pseudo-skepticism!
You’re not debating, you’re preaching. You have absolutely no idea what skepticism is about, you just rail against anyone who doesn’t believe in spirits and call it pseudo-skepticism because you can’t even begin to address the criticism.
jond is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2019, 09:08 AM   #598
Ricardo

No. I've asked you twice now how you think that's done. I've asked you specifically for what evidence you would accept as proof that spirits don't exist. Since you have dodged the question both times, I assume you know full well that it's impossible to prove a negative proposition and that your arguments from here on out will continue to rise no higher than blurting out absurd claims.
but the pain disappeared at the time ... it was not gradual its disappearance ... I think if you had the same experience I had ... you would understand
Old 24th August 2019, 09:11 AM   #599
JesseCuster
Graduate Poster

but the pain disappeared at the time ... it was not gradual its disappearance ... I think if you had the same experience I had ... you would understand
You had a pain and it went away suddenly.

What does any of this have to do with spirits? Why not think it was aliens or wizards or angels or time travelling tricksters...?

You've provided exactly zero evidence that any of this has anything to do with spirits.
Old 24th August 2019, 09:13 AM   #600
Cosmic Yak
Illuminator

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
magnetism drove away the spirit that was causing the pain ...
Are spirits made of metal? If not, how does magnetism affect them?

If spirits interact with magnetism, then this is something we can test. To your knowledge, has this been done? If it hasn't, then you have no basis for saying that this is true. Yes, you believe it, but that just isn't good enough. Thus far, you have provided no evidence whatsoever for the existence of spirits (no, those silly videos do not count, because they can be so easily faked, and they do not in any way meet the scientific standard of proof), nor have you any evidence (beyond your unsupported assertion) that they are affected by magnetism.
This, plus the fact, as we have shown you, that it is impossible for this to be happening. That you will not either read or watch this is quite telling. What were you saying about dogmatism?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy