ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 21st August 2019, 03:02 PM   #441
chrispy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
The crazy world of Wayne Root.
Wowzah. That guy is a loon. I've actually never heard of him until now. Kinda wish I never did!!
chrispy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 03:13 PM   #442
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
The second coming od God? I guess he realised "Christ" was stupid but was unwilling to start from scratch.
It's only a matter of time until he claims to be more popular than Jesus. Stealing the quote, of course.

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
And that is absolutely equally possible.

But some sort of hamfisted "Airbags!? When I was a kid we didn't have airbags Emissions control? Screw the hippies!" trimming the fat routine is exactly the kind of thing his mind and ego would mistake for "a solution."
One of his early Executive Orders was that "For each new regulation, you have to get rid of two old regulations." Simple way to make it simpler!
Old 21st August 2019, 03:46 PM   #443
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Can't wait for evangelical Christians to explain away the POTUS endorsing the idea that he's the second coming of the Messiah.
Wait ‘til he says “That piece of halibut was good enough for Jehovah!”
Old 21st August 2019, 03:49 PM   #444
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Originally Posted by Ryokan View Post
I'm not so sure North Dakotan winters are that different from Norwegian winters. Electric cars are used all over the country here, from north to south.
North Dakota is significantly colder than Norway. While Norway has the benefit of the Gulf Stream bringing warm water all the way from the equator, North Dakota is almost right smack in the middle of North America.

Here are the winter temperatures for Oslo and Fargo, from Wikipedia. All temperatures are in Celsius.

Oslo

TemperatureNovDecJanFebMar
Average daily high3.90.0-0.40.54.4
Average daily low-4.7-2.3-2.9-2.41.0
Record high14.412.612.513.821.5
Record low-16.0-20.8-26.0-24.9-21.3

Fargo

TemperatureNovDecJanFebMar
Average daily high2.9-5.4-7.6-4.62.4
Average daily low-6.5-14.5-17.7-14.7-7.0
Record high23.018.013.019.027.0
Record low-33.0-38.8-44.0-44.0-37.0

For Fargo, note both the average and record lows, to get an idea of the range of cold temperatures. It's not unusual in December and January to have a week or more where the temperature goes down below -20 at night and barely makes it above -20 during the day.

Here in Winnipeg, at least once every winter we get a stretch where the temperature goes below -30 at night and doesn't make it above -20 during the day. We call that a "cold snap."
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 04:02 PM   #445
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
If you don't kowtow and grovel before Dear Leader and you are female, you are nasty.
ftfy

(ETA: Oops, ninja'd by pgwenthold, who is once again 100% correct!)

Last edited by WilliamSeger; 21st August 2019 at 04:28 PM.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 04:19 PM   #446
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Trump: Danish PM is "nasty":

Literally all she did was say "Greenland is not for sale", and she was responding to a reporter's question, not either Trump OR "the United States of America". But of course she's a woman who said something Trump didn't like, so that makes her "nasty" because Trump hates women.

No, Don, she's talking to you. The US gets covered in the same **** as you as collateral damage, but she's talking to you.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 04:26 PM   #447
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

The Legendary Henry Ford and Alfred P. Sloan, the Founders of Ford Motor Company and General Motors, are “rolling over” at the weakness of current car company executives willing to spend more money on a car that is not as safe or good, and cost $3,000 more to consumers. Crazy!

Henry Ford would be very disappointed if he saw his modern-day descendants wanting to build a much more expensive car, that is far less safe and doesn’t work as well, because execs don’t want to fight California regulators. Car companies should know....

....that when this Administration’s alternative is no longer available, California will squeeze them to a point of business ruin. Only reason California is now talking to them is because the Feds are giving a far better alternative, which is much better for consumers!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 04:33 PM   #448
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

No, Don, she's talking to you. The US gets covered in the same **** as you as collateral damage, but she's talking to you.
You forget that, for Trump, l'état, c'est moi.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 04:34 PM   #449
a_unique_person

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

The Legendary Henry Ford and Alfred P. Sloan, the Founders of Ford Motor Company and General Motors, are “rolling over” at the weakness of current car company executives willing to spend more money on a car that is not as safe or good, and cost $3,000 more to consumers. Crazy!

Henry Ford would be very disappointed if he saw his modern-day descendants wanting to build a much more expensive car, that is far less safe and doesn’t work as well, because execs don’t want to fight California regulators. Car companies should know....

....that when this Administration’s alternative is no longer available, California will squeeze them to a point of business ruin. Only reason California is now talking to them is because the Feds are giving a far better alternative, which is much better for consumers!

These modern cars are less safe than the cars Henry Ford built? I call BS on this. Not a big call, not a brave call, in fact, it's a call that's is trivially obvious. Modern cars are relatively speaking much cheaper than the cars Henry Ford built.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 04:39 PM   #450
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Why does anyone believe anything Trump says or tweets? Everything he says should be fact checked because his history has proved he lies through his teeth. I find it bewildering why anyone assumes anything he says is true.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 05:21 PM   #451
Arcade22
Philosopher

Trump Tweets

This is Trump having a meltdown over the fact that said car makers are not doing what he wants. If it was a good idea he really should have no problem convincing them, but it's not.

And no, Cuba is not a brutal and corrupt dictatorship, and it's definitely less so than Sweden. - dann
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 05:24 PM   #452
a_unique_person

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
This is Trump having a meltdown over the fact that said car makers are not doing what he wants. If it was a good idea he really should have no problem convincing them, but it's not.
I think it's just a rant about "Government Over-Regulation" with the most ridiculous examples he could use. Cars have never been safer. Cars are relatively speaking very cheap. Much safer, cheaper, and more capable than in the time of Henry Ford.
Old 21st August 2019, 05:25 PM   #453
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
He knows more about the car manufacturing business than anyone.

But seriously, you would think that before changing regulations for a business he might want to consult with the businesses and see what they think.
Old 21st August 2019, 05:44 PM   #454
TellyKNeasuss
Master Poster

Meanwhile, there might be reason to question whether Trump has created the greatest economy in history. Yes, there actually have been a half million fewer jobs created than had been reported. Of course, this might have been caused by Hillary's missing emails.

https://thehill.com/policy/finance/4...n-was-reported

TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 05:54 PM   #455
a_unique_person

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
He knows more about the car manufacturing business than anyone.

But seriously, you would think that before changing regulations for a business he might want to consult with the businesses and see what they think.

They might want to cut costs and increase profits. That could be done by cutting safety.
Old 21st August 2019, 05:56 PM   #456
a_unique_person

Trump "I am the chosen one".

https://edition.cnn.com/videos/polit...sot-ip-vpx.cnn

A throwaway line. If any Democratic president had said it all hell would have broken loose.
Old 21st August 2019, 07:18 PM   #457
carlvs
Critical Thinker

He was chosen - unfortunately, this is who chose him ...
carlvs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 07:24 PM   #458
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

....Because of me, these countries have agreed to pay ONE HUNDRED BILLION DOLLARS more - but still way short of what they should pay for the incredible military protection provided. Sorry!
$$$
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 1FFFB379-31DB-4E36-938F-34929A7BDE4E.jpeg (75.9 KB, 11 views)
Old 21st August 2019, 07:53 PM   #459
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carlvs View Post
Quote:

He was chosen - unfortunately, this is who chose him ...
I thought it was Putin who chose him.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 07:53 PM   #460
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

The crazy world of Wayne Root.
With Trump, like attracts like.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 07:58 PM   #461
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

Trump Tweets

An example of the safety advances over 50 years. 1959 Bel Air vs. 2009 Malibu frontal driver offset test:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 09:38 PM   #462
Parsman
Muse

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
$$$
Fake photo! The hands are far too big!

When you're dead you don't know that you're dead, all the pain is felt by others....................the same thing happens when you're stupid.
Parsman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 11:00 PM   #463
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
An example of the safety advances over 50 years. 1959 Bel Air vs. 2009 Malibu frontal driver offset test:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Facts be damned. 40% - 45% of the US electorate either believe this twaddle, wish it were true so hard that they'll give him a pass over it or simply do not care enough for it, or any of his other pronouncements to change their voting intention.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 12:32 AM   #464
a_unique_person

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Facts be damned. 40% - 45% of the US electorate either believe this twaddle, wish it were true so hard that they'll give him a pass over it or simply do not care enough for it, or any of his other pronouncements to change their voting intention.

You would have to be Socialist to believe that Government regulations could achieve anything positive.
Old 22nd August 2019, 12:36 AM   #465
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

A throwaway line.
No it's not.

Trump doesn't do irony, certainly not when saying something positive about himself.

And by the way, his quips about "serving more than two terms"? Those aren't throwaway lines either. He genuinely believes, or at least hopes, that's something that will happen.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 01:13 AM   #466
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
Mike Pence is either the most confused man in the world right now or the most delighted.
Pence is a wildly untrustworthy liar, though still far from in Trump's league in that aspect. I don't believe that he's either confused or pleased... given that I doubt he's ever forgotten or been deluded about what kind of man Trump is, despite his spinelessness.

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
That was one of the more creepy things.
Well, on the "positive" side, at least we know that, yet again, that conservative jeer was nothing more than projection. Seriously, it's almost like Trump's trying to actually do everything that said "conservatives" bashed Obama for (frequently on the basis of nonsensically false claims) and get idolized for it. And it looks like he's succeeding far, far too much, which is quite telling.
Old 22nd August 2019, 02:49 AM   #467
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...38795475881986

Quote:
“Thank you to Wayne Allyn Root for the very nice words. “President Trump is the greatest President for Jews and for Israel in the history of the world, not just America, he is the best President for Israel in the history of the world...and the Jewish people in Israel love him....

....like he’s the King of Israel. They love him like he is the second coming of God...But American Jews don’t know him or like him. They don’t even know what they’re doing or saying anymore. It makes no sense! But that’s OK, if he keeps doing what he’s doing, he’s good for.....

.....all Jews, Blacks, Gays, everyone. And importantly, he’s good for everyone in America who wants a job.” Wow!
@newsmax

@foxandfriends

@OANN
Jews think Trump is the Second Coming? Aren't Jews still waiting for the First Coming?
Old 22nd August 2019, 02:51 AM   #468
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

He is the chosen one.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 03:29 AM   #469
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Right around the end of the story, chosen ones have a tendency to ask if maybe next time could you choose somebody else.
Old 22nd August 2019, 04:10 AM   #470
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
He is the chosen one.
Well, QAnon is one step away from saying we're all in the matrix, so...

ETA: Although to be fair he said it refering to him being the one leading the trade war with China, right? Not quite like saying he's Christ reincarnate.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Last edited by Belz...; 22nd August 2019 at 04:26 AM.
Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 04:25 AM   #471
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Right around the end of the story, chosen ones have a tendency to ask if maybe next time could you choose somebody else.
Or Donnie could do the big finale from Jewel of the Nile and set the West Wing of the White House on fire and walk through it unharmed.

Can someone get Fox & Friends to mention this?

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 04:26 AM   #472
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
He is the chosen one.
He is the King of The Jews Israel!

Trump looks to me like he's in the midst of a slow-motion mental breakdown. He actually slipped today and said that he has the best economy and that he defeated the caliphate. Talk about self-delusional visions of grandeur.

Right back at the beginning of his presidency in 2017, there were a number of psychiatrists who warned that he was a dangerous narcissist and he was going to get worse.... looks like they were right.

Trump is turning full whack-job.

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 04:32 AM   #473
a_unique_person

Quote:
Over an ensuing half-hour rant, Trump trucked in antisemitic tropes, insulted the Danish prime minister, insisted he wasn’t racist, bragged about the performance of his former Apprentice reality show, denied starting a trade war with China, praised Vladimir Putin and told reporters that he, Trump, was the “Chosen One” – all within hours of referring to himself as the “King of Israel” and tweeting in all caps: “WHERE IS THE FEDERAL RESERVE?”
I have to say. His "Apprentice" ratings stories never get old.
Old 22nd August 2019, 04:38 AM   #474
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
No it's not.

Trump doesn't do irony, certainly not when saying something positive about himself.

And by the way, his quips about "serving more than two terms"? Those aren't throwaway lines either. He genuinely believes, or at least hopes, that's something that will happen.
I have absolutely ZERO doubt that if he loses in 2020, whether its close run or a landslide, he WILL refuse to leave office. I know this because I recognise a pathological malignant narcissist when I see one ( I lived with one for more years than I care to admit) and I'm looking at one right now in the White House. They simply cannot stand to be challenged or criticised, and when they are, they get their panties in a bunch and lash out, often doubling down on what they have been challenged on or criticised for. ...

This is why he has surrounded himself with "yes" men, people who are too gutless to speak truth to power.

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 04:41 AM   #475
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, he is now disavowing the trade war with China. I was sure he started it because he wanted a trade war, and that trade wars were "easy to win"? I'm sure he couldn't be lying, mistaken, or delusional now, so I must be misremembering and it really was the US press that started the trade war with China.
Old 22nd August 2019, 04:53 AM   #476
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

ETA: Although to be fair he said it refering to him being the one leading the trade war with China, right? Not quite like saying he's Christ reincarnate.
Yeah, he was addressing another member of the press up the nearby tree.
I AGREE
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 04:58 AM   #477
TofuFighter
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Or Donnie could do the big finale from Jewel of the Nile and set the West Wing of the White House on fire and walk through it unharmed.
I don't know where you guys are getting your Chosen Ones from.

TofuFighter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 05:39 AM   #478
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Roberts View Post
After today's performance, I started thinking again whether there is any validity to the fatigue factor in the election. Which just means that people, even ones that aren't completely opposed to Trump's policies, would be so tired of the day-in day-out drama emanating from the White House that they either vote Dem or don't vote at all - "His policies are fine, but I'm just sick of the ******** that he puts out every single day"

It may be not a huge group, or any group at all I suppose. I'm not on social media much, but I do know the pro-Trump posts that used to be all over the place from my conservative friends (I'm from Oklahoma) are just about gone. Even the latest Squad ruckus, which did surprise me a little.
I think what you're pointing too in regards to fatigue can also be attributed to people liking "candidate Trump", but not liking "president Trump". His antics were much more palatable as a candidate because he didn't really actually have any power or anything to do. Clowning around and being a general rabble rouser didn't distract from his responsibilities, because he didn't have any responsibilities.

President Trump is obviously not up to the task of being president. While this was obvious during the campaign to anyone who thought about it seriously for a few moments, we are now living the reality of this shortcoming.
Old 22nd August 2019, 05:59 AM   #479
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
... President Trump is obviously not up to the task of being president. While this was obvious during the campaign to anyone who thought about it seriously for a few moments, we are now living the reality of this shortcoming.
So true. As obvious as it was during the election that this world class ignoramus was vastly under-qualified in several respects, his performance in office has been far worse than most of us imagined.
Old 22nd August 2019, 06:07 AM   #480
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Indeed, and it's likely that the Trump apologists will jump on that, since the usual excuse when he says something outrageous is that he was too stupid to understand it.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics