ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 22nd August 2019, 10:14 AM   #521
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
ETA: Also, Trump is "seriously" looking into ending the 14th Amendment. I mean, he can't, but he's seriously looking into it.
Gods he really hates nonwhites, doesn't he?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 10:17 AM   #522
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

*Shrugs* Birth Right Citizenship is the one thing I'm meh on. I mean it's pretty much literally only a thing in this hemisphere and everywhere else, including all of those glorious wonderful European utopias we're supposed to be emulating, it's not a thing.
Old 22nd August 2019, 10:20 AM   #523
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
*Shrugs* Birth Right Citizenship is the one thing I'm meh on. I mean it's pretty much literally only a thing in this hemisphere and everywhere else, including all of those glorious wonderful European utopias we're supposed to be emulating, it's not a thing.
It's an essential piece of the American ethos. I'd sooner lose territory to a foreign country than end birthright citizenship.
Old 22nd August 2019, 10:21 AM   #524
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
It seems similar to the idea that all Muslims are loyal to Islam before America and are secretly waiting for the signal to rise up and make the US part of the global Caliphate. People who aren't Christian aren't as American as Christians.
Didn't one of the Bushes opine that atheists weren't real Americans ?
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 10:25 AM   #525
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Don View Post

Didn't one of the Bushes opine that atheists weren't real Americans ?
Very likely a fake quote.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 10:30 AM   #526
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
I have absolutely ZERO doubt that if he loses in 2020, whether its close run or a landslide, he WILL refuse to leave office. I know this because I recognise a pathological malignant narcissist when I see one ( I lived with one for more years than I care to admit) and I'm looking at one right now in the White House.
It will actually not do him any good, in the sense that the transfer of power will happen whether he wants it to or not; but yes, if Trump loses, not only will he fall upon the same "rigged" rhetoric from 2016, but he will actually order "election fraud" investigations and his administration will attempt to file court actions seeking a stay or nullification of the election results.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 10:47 AM   #527
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
It will actually not do him any good, in the sense that the transfer of power will happen whether he wants it to or not; but yes, if Trump loses, not only will he fall upon the same "rigged" rhetoric from 2016, but he will actually order "election fraud" investigations and his administration will attempt to file court actions seeking a stay or nullification of the election results.
I would pay good money to see video footage of President Warren laughing as the Secret Service tazes a weeping Trump and drags him out of the Oval Office. Especially if he does that thing with the door frame that cats do when you try to get them into a carrier.
Old 22nd August 2019, 10:47 AM   #528
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

The Economy is doing really well. The Federal Reserve can easily make it Record Setting! The question is being asked, why are we paying much more in interest than Germany and certain other countries? Be early (for a change), not late. Let America win big, rather than just win!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 10:49 AM   #529
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

The Economy is doing really well. The Federal Reserve can easily make it Record Setting! The question is being asked, why are we paying much more in interest than Germany and certain other countries? Be early (for a change), not late. Let America win big, rather than just win!
He has no idea how any of that works, does he?

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 10:53 AM   #530
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by gregthehammer View Post
Huh, who would have guessed Tom Cotton was behind the suggestion to buy Greenland? https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...rt/2081531001/
Quote:
Cotton added that buying Greenland had "economic potential" and could be "vital to our national security."

"Anyone who can’t see that is blinded by Trump derangement," he said.

I don't believe that has come to mean what he thinks it does.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 10:55 AM   #531
Ryokan
Insert something funny here

There are European countries with birthright citizenship.
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 10:57 AM   #532
Ryokan
Insert something funny here

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

Germany is not embroiled in a trade war, enacting tariffs at random all over the place and driving up import prices for businesses.
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 10:58 AM   #533
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Not so far off from the truth:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8JxbxpVUIg
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 10:59 AM   #534
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Ryokan View Post
There are European countries with birthright citizenship.
And even absent that, why would Americans want to give up something that's been part of their national identity for so long? Whether other countries do it or not is irrelevant.

Old 22nd August 2019, 11:10 AM   #535
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Dupe

Last edited by The Don; 22nd August 2019 at 11:11 AM.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 11:12 AM   #536
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Not so far off from the truth:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8JxbxpVUIg
That wasn't the video I'd suspected, but yes.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 11:13 AM   #537
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Dupe
I've always known!

Old 22nd August 2019, 11:54 AM   #538
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
Interesting development: Rick Wiles (a super crazy Christian radio guy) is calling for Donald Trump to be impeached. He even called Trump the "son of perdition," whatever that means.

Too early to say if it sticks. Rick might get shouted down on social media and then roll over.

He is in effect calling Trump a traitor... in particular, Judas Iscariot.

 John 17:12 "While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled."

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 11:59 AM   #539
plague311
Great minds think...

You sure about that slugger?

Originally Posted by CNN
In fact, more than 30 countries around the world have birthright citizenship
Quote:
There are 195 countries in the world today
So you're right in that there are +/- 165 countries that don't have it, but your statement is wrong.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 12:00 PM   #540
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I would pay good money to see video footage of President Warren laughing as the Secret Service tazes a weeping Trump and drags him out of the Oval Office. Especially if he does that thing with the door frame that cats do when you try to get them into a carrier.
You can put the cat into a bag and then kind of 'pour' it into the carrier.

This would also work well with Trump, except you could just toss the bag into a dumpster. Or the Potomac. Whatever.
Old 22nd August 2019, 12:03 PM   #541
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
I don't believe that has come to mean what he thinks it does.
I think he also does not understand that Greenland is a country with its own government, and that is it no use Trump getting angry with the the Danish government for not selling it to him

Greenland is not theirs to sell.

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 12:04 PM   #542
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

You sure about that slugger?
*Very slowly* I said "Hemisphere", not country.

Read better before correcting people, slugger.
Old 22nd August 2019, 12:05 PM   #543
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post

This would also work well with Trump, except you could just toss the bag into a dumpster. Or the Potomac. Whatever.
Couldn't you toss the bag into a dumpster, then toss the dumpster into the Potomac? (You had 2 good options... hate to miss one of them.)

Make sure you set it on fire first. (Although the number of times we've heard the Trump administration called a 'Dumpster fire', its probably not necessary.)

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 12:07 PM   #544
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by TofuFighter View Post

No, no and no. In retrospect, it seems to me that it was the most wishful of thinking on the part of people in trump's orbit that he would shift closer to the mould of an actual statesman. For trump's part, it was always evident to him that rabble-rousing was what worked, and since winning the election he's maintained that mode, imo, partly for the constant adoration and partly in attempt not to lose momentum. He has given indication that he believes what he does has worked before and will work again, so he cannot let that go.

I think it's too much. I think he's lost some of the people who had voted for him in 2016 because it's just too much. This never-ending stream of drama and bizarre behaviour has to effect reasonable conservative voters.
That is one possible reason he has maintained that mode. But isn’t the simpler explanation that that mode is the only mode he is capable of? He’s never really publicly demonstrated the ability to perform a rational analysis of a situation. None of his ghost-written books and none of the White House tell-all books ever describe him as being capable of thoughtful deliberation by weighing options against a value system. Instead, he has always made everything about himself and his perspective.

His childishness is not an act.
Old 22nd August 2019, 12:23 PM   #545
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Just tell him he's going to Mar-a-Lago for a weekend trip, and then lock the doors once he's out.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 12:24 PM   #546
plague311
Great minds think...

I read it perfectly fine. There are 4 hemispheres. Perhaps specify which one you're referring to since our hemisphere consists of North America, Central America, the top of South America, and little more. I understand you said Hemisphere, and not country. Are you implying all\most 30 countries are in our hemisphere?

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 12:25 PM   #547
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

You could have meant northern
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 12:30 PM   #548
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...

I read it perfectly fine. There are 4 hemispheres. Perhaps specify which one you're referring to since our hemisphere consists of North America, Central America, the top of South America, and little more. I understand you said Hemisphere, and not country. Are you implying all\most 30 countries are in our hemisphere?
Um...

A hemisphere is half of a sphere, not a quarter.

ETA: Usually split in to the Western hemisphere (North, South, and Central America) and Eastern Hemisphere (Europe, Africa, Asia, and Australia).

Last edited by Hellbound; 22nd August 2019 at 12:31 PM.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 12:38 PM   #549
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
Um...

ETA: Usually split in to the Western hemisphere (North, South, and Central America) and Eastern Hemisphere (Europe, Africa, Asia, and Australia).
Yeah, but then there are the northern and southern hemispheres. I think plague111 is right, though I'll now go back and see what the squabble is about

eta: right about the definition of hemispheres, but it's almost the entire W hemisphere that has the rights under discussion, and only scraps in the E.

Last edited by GlennB; 22nd August 2019 at 12:44 PM.
GlennB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 12:41 PM   #550
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Yeah, but then there are the northern and southern hemispheres. I think plague111 is right, though I'll now go back and see what the squabble is about
Well, northern would add in Europe and Asia, not just the Americas and a little more, so I have no idea.
Old 22nd August 2019, 12:41 PM   #551
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Um...

Nobody heard of the northern and southern hemispheres and why they might matter? Who knew?

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 12:43 PM   #552
Paul2
Philosopher

I'd pay more.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 12:54 PM   #553
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

It's an essential piece of the American ethos. I'd sooner lose territory to a foreign country than end birthright citizenship.

If Trump can overrule the Constitution with the stroke of pen, and the Supreme Court upholds him, then the time for talk has passed, the time for peaceful protest had passed, the time for a Second American Revolution,by any means necessary has come.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 12:56 PM   #554
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
I think he also does not understand that Greenland is a country with its own government, and that is it no use Trump getting angry with the the Danish government for not selling it to him

Greenland is not theirs to sell.
Greenland is not quite an independent county though;it's seems to be a lot like Puerto Rico or the other US Territories. Self Governeing in many way, but not indepdendent.
But Denmark is not selling, the whole idea is ridiculous, and that a GOP group is actually fundraising based upon "Help Trump to Grow America" with T shirts showing Greenland as part of the US shows the GOP is beyond redemption.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 22nd August 2019 at 12:58 PM.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 01:02 PM   #555
Arcade22
Philosopher

It seems similar to the idea that all Muslims are loyal to Islam before America and are secretly waiting for the signal to rise up and make the US part of the global Caliphate. People who aren't Christian aren't as American as Christians.
But Israel exists today and unlike most nation states it has always been seeking, at least in principle, to encourage all Jews in the diaspora to return to the "promised land" that God gave them. When there was terror attacks in France the Israeli prime minister encouraged Jews to come to Israel to escape antisemitism and terrorism... because terrorism doesn't exist in Israel...

In fact many of the more zealous Zionists would have no problem with Trump saying that Jews voting for Democrats are disloyal to Israel, as if that's of course a bad thing.

And no, Cuba is not a brutal and corrupt dictatorship, and it's definitely less so than Sweden. - dann
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 01:02 PM   #556
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I'll admit that waaaaaaaaaaaaay back in between the primaries and general election back in 2016 that was sort of my vague idea; that the GOP had just let Trump be Trump in the primaries to lock in his core cult of personality base and was then going to groom / reel him in to fit the mold of more generic Republican.

I... might has misread the terrain on that one to put it lightly.
Reminds me of the conservatives who made Hitler CHancellor because they thought they could control him.
Fritz Von Papen, who engineered the deal, made the imfamous statement " when question about the wisdom of this; "Don't you understand: We Just Bought Him".

Robert Heinlein.
Old 22nd August 2019, 01:15 PM   #557
Armitage72
Illuminator

I would be happy if people were outside the White House with really loud ... whatever the modern equivalent of a boombox is ... playing "Na na na na, na na na na, hey hey-ey, goodbye" over and over, every day that he's in the White House.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 01:30 PM   #558
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Nobody heard of the northern and southern hemispheres and why they might matter? Who knew?
*sigh*

Yes, because context is pointless. Obviously, northern and southern hemispheres are the ones used most often when discussing political and cultural differences. And the fact that those other hemispheres exist means that a hemisphere only contains the countries/regions on 1/4 of the globe.

Did anyone actually read the post I responded to? Especially the bit about including "the top of South America"?

I didn't state any issue with there being 4 hemispheres ETA: (assuming the qualifier of "commonly defined for Earth", you know, from context). But no matter which one you choose, it contains the countries on half a globe, not those from a quarter of one.

Last edited by Hellbound; 22nd August 2019 at 01:35 PM.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 01:30 PM   #559
plague311
Great minds think...

I would be happy if people were outside the White House with really loud ... whatever the modern equivalent of a boombox is ... playing "Na na na na, na na na na, hey hey-ey, goodbye" over and over, every day that he's in the White House.
I just watched a documentaryish type show on John Wayne Gacy and there was apparently a large following outside of the prison when he was executed doing the same thing. Kind of funny that you bring that up!

Old 22nd August 2019, 01:34 PM   #560
plague311
Great minds think...

Yes, because context is pointless. Obviously, northern and southern hemispheres are the ones used most often when discussing political and cultural differences.
Ok, I didn't know that. Please pardon my apparent ignorance.

And the fact that those other hemispheres exist means that a hemisphere only contains the countries/regions on 1/4 of the globe.
...ok.

Did anyone actually read the post I responded to? Especially the bit about including "the top of South America"?
Yup, I wrote it. I used this map as a reference. It appears to include the top of South America. So...whatever.

Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics